Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 57 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [zz]
 Post subject: Re: Rest-Of-Nintendo Subsite
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:04 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Mors wrote:
I was talking about Psid's reply. I assumed that MFGG would be also a part of that mentioned site because otherwise it would be like creating a subsite that's bigger than the actual main site which makes no sense, sir.

I never said anything about MFGG to be renamed. Besides that, I was more of giving my opinion on why the name doesn't fit (Indie Games Galaxy), as the site mentioned is mostly for other game making stuff indies and non mario fangames and the "Indie" name doesn't sound quite right for that focus.

I dunno about the site being bigger than the actual site, I but I can get it as the "universe" does imply that it's bigger than "galaxy" naming.

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:42 am 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Honestly I feel like an indie gaming site would kill this one.

Also also, would it be for-profit?

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:56 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
i think switching over to an indie host would tank the site's identity as it is. like it or not we'd be competing with places like gamejolt and steam, and that's not an easy thing to do. i'd rather do something like "mario and friends fan games galaxy" and slowly branch out.

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:02 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
If we go the indie route, it should be called Generic Games Galaxy instead of just Games Galaxy, similar to Generic Fiction, the upcoming fanfiction sequel site.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:06 pm 
[*]
I'd also like to nore that if we get permission for a Megaman site, I would gladly contribute to it.

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:03 pm 
SnoPINGAS usually Icee
[*]
[*]
P-Star7 wrote:
I'd also like to nore that if we get permission for a Megaman site, I would gladly contribute to it.

Why do you insist on asking for permission? Legit though, just make the site if you want to so bad.

GOTTA GO FAST IN SONIC THE WEBSITE!
CHECK OUT MY OTHER ACCOUNTS!

Deviantart: TheVideoGameFanatic2234 http://thatgamerguy2234.deviantart.com

Furaffinity: ThatGamerGuy2234 http://www.furaffinity.net/user/thatgamerguy2234

InkBunny: ThatGamerGuy2234 https://inkbunny.net/ThatGamerguy2234

Spongebob Community: Spemgeburb https://www.thesbcommunity.com/profile/3722-spemgeburb/

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:01 pm 
[*]
Thatgamerguy2234 wrote:
P-Star7 wrote:

Why do you insist on asking for permission? Legit though, just make the site if you want to so bad.

Because it shows if the rights holder approves of it or not, and if not, then I don't want to ignore them and do it anyway.

[tr]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:18 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
P-Star7 wrote:
Thatgamerguy2234 wrote:
P-Star7 wrote:

Because it shows if the rights holder approves of it or not, and if not, then I don't want to ignore them and do it anyway.
It seems like you really want to make some fan content but you're way too paranoid of getting caught by the copyright holders.
If you're that worried, don't do anything because we won't get permission from anyone anytime soon about anything.
What you always want to do is asking the house owner before breaking into someone's house.

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:49 am 
[*]
Mors wrote:
P-Star7 wrote:
Thatgamerguy2234 wrote:

It seems like you really want to make some fan content but you're way too paranoid of getting caught by the copyright holders.
If you're that worried, don't do anything because we won't get permission from anyone anytime soon about anything.
What you always want to do is asking the house owner before breaking into someone's house.

Yeah! You're right! I've always wanted to make fan content. But I don't want to do anything that ignores the company's feelings, because then it's really immoral to ignore someone's feelings on that. As you can tell by the small things that I did in the past I don't hate making fan content, but I do hate going against someone's orders when it's their property that I'm using, so I owe it to them to be respectful of their property when using it, even if that means making no fan content at all.

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:06 am 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
you know you're allowed to, right? it's fair use.

[au]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:25 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Let's not get into this argument again.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:49 am 
[*]
Kritter wrote:
Let's not get into this argument again.

I'd agree if it was MFGG, but a hypothetical Mega Man site not only has a different company to deal with, but since it's not made and established yet I thought this site could start off on the right foot. Besides, I'm saying that I'm not the best person to contact Capcom and letting someone who would want to administrate that Mega Man site speak to them so that I don't misrepresent anyone.

EDIT: I'd actually be interested in running for Quality Control on MMFGG, I just want to make sure that the whole site isn't illegitimate (note: I have no need for there to be any acknolwedgement beyond permission, but I do need assurance from Capcom that the site is moral and legal.)

[ie]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:18 am 
thanks, neweegee!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Stop talking for a second!
This has kinda gone too far. All I wanted was a smaller site, with the rest of Nintendo, but not anything else.
And, it's sorta confusing. @ThunderDragon, you have been waiting to suggest it, so why didn't you? You're the founder of MFGG! You could've made it happen. Just saying. Secondly, I.Never.Wanted.An.Indie.Site. I wanted the rest of Nintendo! I am just saying this because almost NOONE here is understanding me properly (thanks for making my point, HylianDev.). Sigh. I guess cuz Imma kid, people don't take me seriously enough. I do like your ideas, guys, but, none follow mine.

my youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Pu2NplrfCUbTxE_zyHITQ

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:35 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
SilverVortex, I don't believe it's that people aren't taking you seriously, but that they're just misunderstanding or want to present alternatives to what you're suggesting. These sorts of threads commonly turn to discussion of related ideas, which, while sometimes frustrating, seems to me the most effective way of reaching resolutions on these topics.

P-Star, Capcom's stance on fangames seems to be relatively well-explained here:
Capcom Exec Guy wrote:
From a legal standpoint, we can't possibly sanction fan games (we run the risk of being viewed as not protecting our IP and therefore could lose the rights). Are we likely to proactively go after something, not likely. But as always, if you have to ask and we're forced to give an answer, the answer is not likely to be what you want it to be.

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:39 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Honestly, I think the idea of a website for other Nintendo fan games is a great idea.

For people interested in other franchises, it would give them a way to get resources for their projects that you wouldn't normally find on MFGG. Like say, top down tilesets for Zelda or Pokemon. Or perhaps 3D models and textures for series like F-Zero, Star Fox, etc.

It'd also avoid having too many different franchise specific sites like we did a while back, and hopefully keep activity up somewhat rather than splitting it across ten or so different domains.

So I'm definitely in favour of a general Nintendo fan game site.

And you know what? I'm also in favour of something like this for indie games too. I mean yeah, examples of such sites do exist already. Like say, Open Game Art or what not.

But they're terrible as far as content and organisation goes. The tilesets are all messed up and have far too few tiles to be useful, the character sprites are often too limited or too overwhelmingly complex to easily use for your game. Basically, they feel like the moderators don't really check if said resources are useful for the average game developer.

I mean, look at this example:

https://opengameart.org/content/country ... form-tiles

It's literally a straight piece of ground with a tree on it. That's the entire submission, which somehow they expect their users to make a usable level from.

MFGG doesn't do this, since it actually requires graphics and resources to be useful in a real game. So something like it for indie games (with actual moderation and quality control) would be extremely nice to see.

https://gamingreinvented.com/

Also, for Wario fans, check out Wario Forums today!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:50 am 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
Like I said before, I'm really eager for a general Nintendo site as long as there are no snares and the community it breeds is a positive one. For the latter, it would also help if it doesn't become so tightly-knit, so that there's always room for more members.

By the way, CM30, it's very interesting that you brought up quality. While I'm no game developer, I ensure that my Paper Mario assets are usable with a computer animation application (particularly Maya). Besides, if there is a problem with the parts, guess who is really affected by it.

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:58 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Yeah, quality is really important with sites like these. If you're creating or ripping resources, you need to make sure other people can use them easily, not just do whatever's more convenient to you.

So kudos to you for doing that. You've made a lot of wannabe Paper Mario fan game developers and artists extremely happy.

As for anyone ripping or making tiles... I'd say they should make sure of the following if they want them to be usable:

1. Make sure you use a 'standard' tile size. 8 x 8, 16 x 16, 32 x 32... those are basically the standard options for tile sizes nowadays. 24 x 24 pixels may work in some cases, but for the most part... engines tend to work better with 16 x 16 as a baseline.

2. Arrange them in an order that people can easily understand. So you'd have all the parts needed for a square landmass with gaps seperating them, various types of slopes next to that, and extra tiles/decoration underneath or next to those. That way, people don't have to randomly guess how they're assembled, or spend ages wondering where the relevant tile is or how it's supposed to look.

3. Have enough tiles for a simple level someone might make. Or in other words at least 9 tiles for square ground (4 corners, 4 edges, one fill piece), and a few different slopes/sloped ceiling tiles. If you go further and claim it's an 'ultimate' tileset or enough for a full game, then I'd also strongly recommend having some sort of hazardous substance (spikes, lava, acid, etc), ladders/vines, doors, water and jump through platforms as well.

An indie game resources or general fan game resources site which used these rules for tileset submissions (like the ones on MFGG to some extent) would be incredibly useful in this day and age.

https://gamingreinvented.com/

Also, for Wario fans, check out Wario Forums today!

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 57 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic