[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Maybe we should just have a General Crap-Posting topic.

User page at mfgg.net

[fi]
 Post subject: Re: Bring back the PPP.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:50 am 
:3c
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

It could work if the users could only post a limited amount of posts per day, so the amount of ****posting would be somewhat reduced. But if the users were just allowed to go ham, it probably wouldn't end well.

My signature is very empty now that I've removed the advertising. :(

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:55 am 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
i've tried many many times in the past to convince everyone to bring the PPP back but now after the handful of times it's been brought back for forum events i think i've had my fill.

ultimately, the spirit of the PPP lives through the users, not the board itself, and you can have threads that are true PPP-worthy in any board PPP or otherwise if they have actual value. it IS called the "pointless post palace" but generally speaking the "pointless" part only really goes as far as you can throw it, and the more literally you view it the less you're gonna get out of it. historically the PPP has worked best when it's viewed as an even more lax general chat and almost nothing more.

[ph]
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:42 am 
The Extended Tileset-inator
[*]
[*]
Pointless Post Palace, from what I read on the MFGG Wiki, has appeared to cause server bumps-and-doodles (read: downtimes) that eventually caused some of its pages to purge after a crash in the Taloncrossing SQL happened when Thunder Dragon was trying to fix the servers. We don't want to see another explosion happen when it reaches 999 pages, as it could cause a server overflow.

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/Jaden1291
Subscribe to my Geometry Dash YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/GeometryDashAgentJDN

I play Geometry Dash also. I'm a level creator too, check out my levels!

Feel free to give me ideas for new extended tilesets! Also check out my Sprite Topic where I post my art stuff:
https://forums.mfgg.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14500

WARNING: Big Signature
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:48 am 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Pointless Post Palace, from what I read on the MFGG Wiki, has appeared to cause server bumps-and-doodles (read: downtimes) that eventually caused some of its pages to purge after a crash in the Taloncrossing SQL happened when Thunder Dragon was trying to fix the servers. We don't want to see another explosion happen when it reaches 999 pages, as it could cause a server overflow.

I could be wrong but I think that might be an archaic issue at this point. The server we're on now is fairly modern.

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:29 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Nowadays, server health is not a concern in any decision to revive or scrap the PPP. MFGG is a smaller community than it was a decade ago, and our server and board software are much more resilient. Less traffic and better capacity to handle traffic means we shouldn't have server problems. If we bring back the PPP, we're not going to get a crash unless Donald Trump, Katy Perry, and Taylor Swift all tweet out a link to MFGG at the same time.

Seems the general sentiment is against the PPP revival, which is interesting.

User page at mfgg.net

[tt]
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:17 pm 
:D
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
There's a difference too between a structured out funny post vs pure LOL RANDOM!
No one seems to like that.

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:22 pm 
[*]
I think that anything of value on the PPP can also be posted in General Chat.

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:44 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I'm in support of the PPP, and my reasoning is that it won't be a total spam board, it'll be more like Minus World. You can make a topic without having much of a serious reason to, as long as there's something to say. Something like "I'm having a cool day today!" or "I just ate pizza", not making five topics at a time each with a keysmash title.

Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:39 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I admit that I flip-flop between the idea lately, as a means to see board activity increase, which might seem weird for someone like me to say given that I'm generally very against the idea.

There's no denying the PPP worked just fine in the past, and similar boards work fine in other communities. I personally believe the PPP was toxic because the community itself was a toxic place back when it was abolished, but MFGG isn't really the same kind of place it was back then, for better or worse. There's a lot of new people here and the community attitude doesn't seem quite so bad when you step back and take a look at the place.

I would, in all honesty, be in favour of a 1-month trial run with a view to keep or remove it at the end depending how it performed, and also with the board knowing full well that any abuse of the PPP would probably result in it getting removed again forever.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:18 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
i am legitimately unsure if the current community is mature enough to handle a PPP. that's my biggest concern.

each time it's come back it's been flooded with keysmash and random joke threads with no coherency or value. if this is what the PPP would come to, then i don't think it's worth bringing back.

on the other hand, this could be a very literal problem. if we name it ANYTHING other than the PPP/pointless post palace then it could lessen the initial impression of "wow it's a spam board!" and more that it's simply for casual, open discussion. but this isn't something i can prove- we'd need like kritter said a trial run. and even then i'm honestly not fully confident between what the current veteran memberbase does with it on top of what newbies interpret. it could end up being another forum games board, which i'll let you interpret however you want based on how you feel about that board.

[au]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:37 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Mit wrote:
i am legitimately unsure if the current community is mature enough to handle a PPP. that's my biggest concern.

This pretty much sums up my feelings, which is what I meant when I said the place isn't the same as it was back then, for better or worse.

I was thinking about the same and I don't think it'd make a whole lot of difference. We've had different names for it in the past and it's really not made any difference to the quality. It's the members who control the quality of the posts, simply calling it "off-topic discussion" doesn't do a lot.

One key thing to note is that a trial run would need to be at least a month, you simply can't tell what kind of posts you'd get with the typical April Fools run of 1 or 2 days because people know it's a limited time thing and tend to post as much garbage as they can.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:50 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Speaking very generally, if we brought the PPP or a similar off-topic board, what kinds of topics would you post there? What kinds of topics would you consider to be too spammy/random for the PPP?

What I have in mind is "fun but totally unimportant" topics like this or this or this. Then again, some of these "fun but totally unimportant" things might be OK with living in Forum Games, General Chat, Gaming, or Development Discussion.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:53 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Those are indeed the kinds of topics I'd like to see there. They might just fit in under General Chat, but I feel like a PPP would encourage topics like those. I think this would be a good thing, if it worked well.

Also maybe instead of the PPP we should move onto a more mature name. I'm fond of calling it "the Lounge" myself, but not many others seem to be.

Quote:
Java Programming: Write once, run anywhere. Except when you can't.

Hahaha. Quality topic.

Also I recognized the Cheerwine Deluxe property, though you may have pointed that out to me before.

Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 34 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic