Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 56 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Post new topic 
 [zz]
 Post subject: Collaboration with Nintendo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:03 pm 
[*]
EDIT: It seems as though Nintendo considers fangames illegal.

Quote:
We appreciate the interest in Nintendo and in all our video game products. To us, it represents a great sign of success and recognition of the Nintendo brand.

"Nintendo" is a registered trademark of Nintendo of America Inc. Nintendo owns extensive intellectual property rights in all of its products, including video game systems, game titles, characters, game software, graphics, artwork, and screen shots. Nintendo also retains rights in content on Nintendo's web sites, including articles, artwork, screen shots and other files. Trademarks and copyrights for third-party games and characters are owned by the companies that market or license those products.

While we are grateful for all the requests for permission to use Nintendo properties, we are not able to grant such requests. We receive thousands of requests and we do not have adequate staffing to review them all. Therefore, our general policy is to decline requests for permission for the use of Nintendo properties.

Although we are not able to grant permission, use of Nintendo's properties without formal permission by Nintendo may still be allowed under the relevant laws of the particular jurisdiction involved. Thus, we encourage you to seek your own legal counsel if you have any questions about whether your particular proposed use is permitted without Nintendo's authorization. Nintendo cannot provide legal advice.

We appreciate your support.

Please respond on how to learn and move on from this on the second page.

Last edited by P-Star7 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Collaboration with Nintendo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:05 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
do not do that

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:16 pm 
SnoPINGAS usually Icee
[*]
[*]
That's a good joke. Keep up the humor

GOTTA GO FAST IN SONIC THE WEBSITE!
CHECK OUT MY OTHER ACCOUNTS!

Deviantart: TheVideoGameFanatic2234 http://thatgamerguy2234.deviantart.com

Furaffinity: ThatGamerGuy2234 http://www.furaffinity.net/user/thatgamerguy2234

InkBunny: ThatGamerGuy2234 https://inkbunny.net/ThatGamerguy2234

Spongebob Community: Spemgeburb https://www.thesbcommunity.com/profile/3722-spemgeburb/

[au]
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:32 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
No. And please do not take it upon yourself to do so, if anything like that was to ever happen it would be the responsibility of the admins and site owners.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:02 pm 
[*]
Ok, so I agree now that us users doing so is too bold. But I still think Nintendo approving of fangames like Sega does is a good idea, and I think it would be a good idea for MFGG to make a headstart into that area.

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:30 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
okay but contacting nintendos support page is a boneheaded thing to do

if nintendo is letting us exist now, then whatever. throwing rocks at nintendo's window to get their attention won't be scoring us any points and if anything it puts the website more at risk of getting taken down. it's absolutely not as simple as shooting them an email to get them to give fangame devs jobs.

on that note, the difference between nintendo and sega in this instance is that sega has not been making 2D sonic titles. the sonic fangaming community prides themselves in having an almost biblical amount of references to how classic sonic titles control and function. fans sent sega proof of concepts for mobile ports of sonic's genesis titles, showing them that it'd be better work for less money, and hired them. a few successful ports later, now taxman, stealth and many others have gotten jobs at sega making classic sonic titles.

mario is not in a similar position. at least as far as mario goes, nintendo's got their bases covered with both 2D and 3D titles (proven with the revival of sandbox mario games with the upcoming odyssey), and most mario fangames don't really explore what can be done with the formula beyond applying different gimmicks to the stock 2D mario 3/mario world engine.

if we really want to get fangames to lead into jobs, we need to make higher quality games with more original ideas and gameplay concepts that evolve the mario formula, rather than just tack on gimmicks.

Last edited by Mit on Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[br]
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:37 pm 
Not a bird
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I doubt Nintendo will look to Sega as a role model for fanservice any soon, don't count on it

Spoiler:

[pl]
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:39 pm 
[*]
They can coop with you on your own game once you pitch it to them and they like it. They will NEVER let you use their brand or characters. Don't even think about it.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:45 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
If you're iffy about the idea of fangames and using their IP's and graphics etc without permission then ours is probably not your ideal community, I say this because you've brought this issue up a few times now.

Ignorance is bliss where we're concerned. Don't bother Nintendo and they'll likely not bother us. Nintendo protects their IP's far more vigorously than SEGA does historically, so there's little chance that we'll ever see officially sanctioned fangames. The best you'll ever get is the weird levels people make in Mario Maker.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:21 pm 
[*]
Honestly, I dunno if MFGG uses copyrighted stuff in a vindictive fashion, but you saw AM2R, NMS, and Pokemon Uranium. Whenever a fangame got too popular, it seems to get shut down. What about Super Mario 2D Universe, Super Mario Flashback, etc.? Should those games not get the attention they deserve? We need to try to get in Nintendo's good graces NOW before anything else is shut down. What is the alternative? Purposefully hiding from Nintendo? And is "it isn't an issue unless it suddenly is" something we want to live under as a community?

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:34 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
P-Star7 wrote:
Honestly, I dunno if MFGG uses copyrighted stuff in a vindictive fashion, but you saw AM2R, NMS, and Pokemon Uranium. Whenever a fangame got too popular, it seems to get shut down. What about Super Mario 2D Universe, Super Mario Flashback, etc.? Should those games not get the attention they deserve? We need to try to get in Nintendo's good graces NOW before anything else is shut down. What is the alternative? Purposefully hiding from Nintendo? And is "it isn't an issue unless it suddenly is" something we want to live under as a community?

This community has been thriving* for 16 years, closer to 18(?) if you count its initial run as BowserTech. I don't foresee much changing; if it's not broke, don't fix it.

*I use this term loosely.

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:45 pm 
[*]
Kirby's Adventure wrote:
P-Star7 wrote:

This community has been thriving* for 16 years, closer to 18(?) if you count its initial run as BowserTech. I don't foresee much changing; if it's not broke, don't fix it.

*I use this term loosely.

Of course. I've loved MFGG even before I had two digits in my age. But that doesn't change how passiomate, talented fans are getting DMCAs, and I just thought it would be best to proactively head them off.

[ca]
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:36 pm 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
We leave them alone and they leave us alone.

...probably.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:00 pm 
[*]
Syaxamaphone wrote:
We leave them alone and they leave us alone.

...probably.

Yeah, that's the rub.

-Probably, if we don't sell it (NOT saying that fangames should be sold, but that them being free doesn't mean anything except being in less trouble)
-Probably, if Nintendo doesn't have a new game to sell and goes on a DMCA binge to clear the field
-Probably, if we don't announce our plans to Nintendo
-Probably, if we say "Copyrighted by Nintendo"
-Probably, if not enough news sites report on it

I'd rather have Nintendo get into a dialogue with prominent fans that makes sure to let us know what can be done. And if the answer is "Do not make a Mario fangame"... would you want to make a "fan"game for that company, then?

[au]
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:34 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Well it's not really your decision., soooo...

This is the risk you take when you make fangames, you just have to deal with it. Nintendo is never going to say "yeah OK sure, make us some games, we're fine with that" so you either make them here in the shadows and hope they don't get shut down, or go indie and make something original instead. It's worked for years and years, I'm quite fine with it if it keeps working.

Those bigger fangames strived to be more than a hobby and that's why they got shut down, but for the most part I'd say everyone else here treats fangaming as a hobby. Sure it's nice when your game gets noticed, but most of us never put ourselves out there and tried to "sell" the game like it was a product.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:14 am 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
i guess people will never collectively realize that all 3 of those games listed are either remakes or severely close to their source material and thus justifying being shut down as it could potentially detract sales from the real thing

which SHOULD be more of a reason to make more interesting fangames as this puts your standard mario 3/world clone at more risk than something like flashback which adds new things to the formula with all the added polish

[tr]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:15 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Mors wrote:
So far Nintendo only DMCA'd popular fangames that are remakes of older games. Like that SM64 remake, Super Mario Remaker, No Mario's Sky, AM2R etc... Pokemon fangames are an exception because AFAIK they are getting DMCA'd by The Pokemon Company, not Nintendo. Super Mario Bros X is also another exception because its domain was SuperMarioBrothers.org.

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:35 pm 
[*]
Both of those things are true, but Nintendo still didn't say that officially, which is why I think Nintendo needs to lay down the law and say what is acceptable and what is not. I don't think that fangames should stay in the shadows anymore or be scared of Nintendo.

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:19 pm 
Marle's my waifu
[*]
[*]
[*]
P-Star7 wrote:
Both of those things are true, but Nintendo still didn't say that officially, which is why I think Nintendo needs to lay down the law and say what is acceptable and what is not. I don't think that fangames should stay in the shadows anymore or be scared of Nintendo.

What Nintendo is doing right now is clear enough. They leave us alone because our junk won't be confused for the real thing.

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:56 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
P-Star7 wrote:
Yeah!! We shouldn't be scared of Nintendo, instead THEY should be scared of us. We should hack Nintendo's website, replace it with MFGG and show them who makes better video games!!!!

Spoiler:

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 56 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Post new topic