Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 45  Next  [ 885 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Post new topic 
 [au]
 Post subject: Re: Site Talkback and Suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:01 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
HylianDev wrote:
Kritter wrote:
And that reason waaaaas?

Hahaha wow. There's no such thing as winning an argument when Kritter is around. It doesn't matter if his side is "people shouldn't be allowed to see what the other users actually posted", he's going to make damn sure the argument doesn't end with him being seen as anything less than the Always-Right Almighty Oldbie®

The fact is that we're moving away from authoritarianism. A toggling swear filter goes along with that. We want to be accessible to all. A toggling swear filter goes along with that; good for the prudent and the low-brow alike. We want to have a better site. More features like a toggling swear filter goes along with that.

Personal insults eh? Top quality moderator post right here. Now where's that topic where I complain openly about moderator attitudes like they did with nite?

I still haven't seen a good reason is all, everyone is up in arms but haven't given me one good reason to remove it other than "it looks bad and I wanna see what X guy wrote". You can have your better site and every feature you like, what does having a swear filter removed bring to the site that's positive?

The swear filter isn't there to stop you reading what someone wrote, it's there to discourage swearing altogether, a job it's done mightily over the years as far as I'm concerned.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:18 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Make a topic, it's your right as an American.

If you don't see a good reason but everybody else does, maybe the problem is with you not wanting one? I'm struggling to understand why a feature that is a staple at most forums and that most users here want is a bad thing in your eyes.

If you think that it'll cut down on swearing, go that angle. Argue that. But don't pretend that you see 0 benefit whatsoever to having the option. As for whether or not it will, I'm not making any assumptions. I think stricter rule is responsible for it as much as the filter.

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:19 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Even if it increases swearing you can just... leave the filter on

[tt]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:32 pm 
:D
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Guys don't ignore my Switch icon edit :|

[au]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:44 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Kirby's Adventure wrote:
Even if it increases swearing you can just... leave the filter on

Oh it will, I guarantee it. Saying "leave the filter on then" isn't good enough.

HylianDev wrote:
Make a topic, it's your right as an American.

If you don't see a good reason but everybody else does, maybe the problem is with you not wanting one? I'm struggling to understand why a feature that is a staple at most forums and that most users here want is a bad thing in your eyes.

If you think that it'll cut down on swearing, go that angle. Argue that. But don't pretend that you see 0 benefit whatsoever to having the option. As for whether or not it will, I'm not making any assumptions. I think stricter rule is responsible for it as much as the filter.

I'm not American, thankfully. I don't need to make a topic, but it's nice you showed your true colours really.

I do see 0 benefit, not pretending at all. Nobody has given me any GOOD reasons to think otherwise... still.

"Who cares if it increases swearing?"
"It's ugly!"
"Everyone else has it turned off"
"It's my right to swear!"
"I'm an adult!"

User page at mfgg.net

[tt]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:47 pm 
:D
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I swear occassionally, in real life, but not to the point where it makes me seem I have issues. I have no problem cursing on the board too when the feel is right to, but I guess I've been used to typing the letter f with three asterisks so much that it would feel weird to just say it straight.

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:52 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Kritter wrote:
I do see 0 benefit, not pretending at all. Nobody has given me any GOOD reasons to think otherwise... still.

I'm done talking to you about this. It's freedom > authoritarianism, it's not insulting my intelligence, it's allowing me to see what the user actually said. We have said this multiple times in this thread. To say you don't see any reasons to think otherwise shows to me that you're just completely ignoring these things because you think it's ultimately a better idea to not have the option. That's either ignorance or dishonesty. Those are the reasons, they're literally right there.

By the way, here is a quote of you admitting that we gave you good reasons to have the option, from the very same sentence where you said nobody gave you any good reasons:

Kritter wrote:
I still haven't seen a good reason is all, everyone is up in arms but haven't given me one good reason to remove it other than "it looks bad and I wanna see what X guy wrote".

Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:53 pm 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
******* ****-*** **** the ******* ******* **** with a **** pie and **** up the *** while ******* ***** using ****** **** to ********************************* alakazam.

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:55 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
i agree that it could potentially increase swearing on the boards. if the censorship in the first place is what's preventing people from saying it all the time now then making it a toggle would definitely make it worse. that makes sense and i entirely understand that point.

maybe a better idea would be personal word filters. keep the idea that those below an age threshold get the swear filter on regardless, but let older users play around with any words and any filters. keep slurs as a warnable/bannable offense of course, but i could see this being fun (i think MFGG used to have one too) with inoffensive words as well as swears.

[au]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:17 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
HylianDev wrote:
Kritter wrote:

I'm done talking to you about this. It's freedom > authoritarianism, it's not insulting my intelligence, it's allowing me to see what the user actually said. We have said this multiple times in this thread. To say you don't see any reasons to think otherwise shows to me that you're just completely ignoring these things because you think it's ultimately a better idea to not have the option. That's either ignorance or dishonesty. Those are the reasons, they're literally right there.

By the way, here is a quote of you admitting that we gave you good reasons to have the option, from the very same sentence where you said nobody gave you any good reasons:

Kritter wrote:
I still haven't seen a good reason is all, everyone is up in arms but haven't given me one good reason to remove it other than "it looks bad and I wanna see what X guy wrote".

That's just A reason, not a GOOD reason, if you can't give me a decent one don't resort to picking apart sentence structures and personal insults, that's a tad petty. :laugh:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:27 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
If Hylian's attitude toward this is anything to go by, it seems like staff is gonna stop bending over for oldbies

I think you may be alone here

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:29 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Kirby's Adventure wrote:
If Hylian's attitude toward this is anything to go by, it seems like staff is gonna stop bending over for oldbies

I think you may be alone here

Yeah, I can say for myself that I'm dedicated to ushering in a new era of MFGG.

Speaking of which, my attitude's been kind of bad in this topic. I need to check it some :whoops:

Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:35 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
My being an oldbie should have no bearing on the subject. An opinion is an opinion whether it's from someone old or new. And hasn't HylianDev been here like... 10 years?

HylianDev wrote:
Speaking of which, my attitude's been kind of bad in this topic. I need to check it some :whoops:

Yeah you're a prime example of the future. You go bring in that new age of freedom. I'll be there :laugh:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:45 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Kritter wrote:
Yeah you're a prime example of the future. You go bring in that new age of freedom. I'll be there :laugh:

Yes, a prime example of the future; one facet of this is willingness to admit that I'm wrong. I'm not an oldie yet ;)

Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:45 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
kritter i agreed with what you said and proposed an alternative but it has yet to be noticed.

for the sake of everyone here if hylian agreed to back off then maybe it'd be a good idea to cut back on your attitude for the sake of everyone else too.

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:52 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Back on topic, my bad.

Do you mean a custom word filter for each user? I seem to recall IPB doing the word filter thing. I was pretty homophobic back then so I changed the word "gay" to a several-word insult to gay people. Then I made a post using the word gay that people didn't like and I was like "what? could they see my filter???"

As for implementing the idea: it's got its merits. I think for it to work well we'd have to have some default filters for each user that they can deactivate.

Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:57 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
yea, it opens up more issues but i feel like it's more "balanced".

the draw is that they'd be user specific, yea. other users wouldn't see any filters except their own since it's client side and everything, though that raises the question of if slurs should be disallowed if nobody sees them.

they're bad, yes. i can entirely understand if moderators would be able to check in on word filters to prevent things from happening, but then that teeters on overmoderation and of course being client side nobody's gonna see it so if someone wants to be a bigot, then that's their problem.

[au]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:02 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
HylianDev wrote:
Kritter wrote:

Yes, a prime example of the future; one facet of this is willingness to admit that I'm wrong. I'm not an oldie yet ;)

On this I'm not wrong ;)

I promise.

User page at mfgg.net

[kp]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:11 pm 
I'm number 1!
[*]
[*]
Gotta say I agree with Kritter completely. The mandatory swear filter does reduce swearing and I feel like swearing is out of place on MFGG. I disagree with the silly filters like GORILLA, but the asterisks are fine.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:15 pm 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
The biggest problem I can see with custom filters is the potential for confusion.

Like, for example, suppose someone decides that it's funny to replace "Mario" with "Mr. Red-face", and they quote someone talking about Super Mario Bros. People could be confused as to why they are talking about "Super Mr. Red-face Bros". Or suppose you're replacing word A with word B, and someone happens to say something with word B that could also apply to word A; you'll assume that they meant word A when they really meant word B.

Of course it's not likely (the worst I'd expect is embarrassment when someone quotes another user without thinking about it), but it is a drawback.

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 45  Next  [ 885 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Post new topic