Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next  [ 885 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Post new topic 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Site Talkback and Suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:18 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
i'm actually not sure if that was an issue in the older boards. iirc the filter only applied when you were actually viewing posts, not replying or creating them so it's more for fun than anything else. of course this would double as a way to get past the swear filter, but this has more of a fun purpose anyway so it waters that fact down a bit.

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:20 pm 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
imo swear filter is fine the way it is. I'm sure there are bigger board priorities here.

Like IMPLEMENTING THAT SWEET FORUM CURRENCY

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:20 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Idea: filtered words will be decorated in some way (background color?) and you can click to toggle them

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:27 pm 
C# Programmer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
A custom swear filter could work for both sides. But the filter should replace words based on the viewer, not the poster. So if I replaced the swear "apples" with "pears", and Hylian replaced "apples" with "oranges", I'll see "pears" and he'll see "oranges". People who want to know what the censored word is will know since it's their own filter. As a result, swearing might devolve into non-serious inside jokes and lighten the mood overtime(?) which seems like a plus for both sides.

Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:41 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
While we're on the topic of the swear filter, can stuff like "GORILLA!!" and "saurkraut" be changed to asterisks?

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:22 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Or what if the filter was a spoiler thing with coloured nonsensical words instead of black bars?

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:04 pm 
[*]
I don't really have an opinion on the swear filter, before anyone asks.

What would you guys think of a roleplay board, since this is one of the top sites where everyone knows their Mario facts.

[tr]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:11 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Rocky wrote:
What would you guys think of a roleplay board
that's what mfgg needs most

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:13 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I don't think that's a good idea. Forum Games has proven itself to be a disaster, ngl

I can see a roleplay board ending up the same way

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:17 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
i think a roleplay board could have its use in the forum games board, only maybe instead of being traditional "threads" it could be in real time, like a chat.

maybe this kinda thing could extend into other forums, letting you switch between a standard thread and a "chatty" or "quick" thread that updates as you go. it'd be great for stuff tied to livestreams.

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:36 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
I wouldn't want roleplay board since that most roleplays are usually filled with horrible OCs, metagaming and generic stories. It can end up horribly when the new autistic users like Kirb join in.

This is not a good idea, as it can tarnish a site's reputation greatly as like DA. And may make it's longtime users leave from this roleplay cancer.

[br]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:43 pm 
Not a bird
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Really nice and original of you to use autism and cancer like insult

I've seen it being suggested before, but why can't we have a built-in chatboard? It could stand in the forum's main page or a separate one linked to the forums and mainsite.

Spoiler:

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:59 pm 
[*]
Mit wrote:
i think a roleplay board could have its use in the forum games board, only maybe instead of being traditional "threads" it could be in real time, like a chat.

maybe this kinda thing could extend into other forums, letting you switch between a standard thread and a "chatty" or "quick" thread that updates as you go. it'd be great for stuff tied to livestreams.

While I see what you mean in that it makes it feel more exciting and real, I think that taking turns would be better because it allows people to plan their posts better without feeling pressured, and the posts would also be higher-quality.

Psid wrote:
I wouldn't want roleplay board since that most roleplays are usually filled with horrible OCs, metagaming and generic stories. It can end up horribly when the new autistic users like Kirb join in.

This is not a good idea, as it can tarnish a site's reputation greatly as like DA. And may make it's longtime users leave from this roleplay cancer.

I... don't really agree. While I see what you mean on those sites, any form of art, like fanfiction, fanart, or roleplaying can get ridiculous. It's simply what happens when you let people post stuff without curating it. Also I'm really sorry to say this but it's a low blow to actually call a specific user specific user autistic (as in "Francis the chameleon", not "this person literally is autistic and I am fine with that"). I could handle your post in my topic about art because technically, you were right. It wasn't really the greatest edit, and I was actually asking for criticism. But Kirbstar didn't ask for that, whether or not his actions made him a bigger target for it. Being honest doesn't count for anything when you're not being nice (unless it's the type of person you never want to see in your life again), so you can either be seen as the benevolent person who tries to help, or the grouchy person who isn't ever satisfied.

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:07 am 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
it would also be cool if there were a way to embed some kinda iscribble board into an RP page. i dunno if that's even technically possible tho.

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:25 am 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
also, how would people feel if the new smilies looked somewhat like this?

these are just rough sketches, i can't easily make SVGs on my own though. this would probably need to be a group effort.

[br]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:32 am 
Not a bird
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Those are ugly, I much prefer the current sprite ones. They probably would look terrible in low resolution.

Last edited by SuperArthurBros on Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spoiler:

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:33 am 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
did you miss the part where i said they are sketches and therefore not final or do you have something you'd like to suggest i change about them?

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:54 am 
The Dark Warrior
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Psid wrote:

Ummmmmmmm, dA already had a bad reputation not because of bad roleplays but because it is a safe haven for the "deviant" artists (re: fetish artists, artists who have their own inflated egos, manchildren) who would post whatever they make which wouldn't be suited in more mainstream circles and that MFGG wouldn't be tolerating dA's negative aspects (ex - Any given fetish art which would result in a lock and thread deletion, anyone being an entitled whiner and views everyone else as wrong, which would be a great way to get warned) from what I have experienced of the userbase here so you shouldn't worry about the site being tarnished in reputation if an RP section is introduced, the community has those aforementioned kinds of people not really welcome here.

ATTENTION! I am in need of coders to help fix Mario's physics for Mysterious Islandz. The game as it stands, is quite glitchy. If you are good at GM8 and is capable of reading FDE Exi's code, PM me!

Spoiler:

I am the true darkness. MFGG stands in my way!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:08 am 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I'm not a huge fan of profanity in general, but considering that we're a fansite for one of the cleanest-cut video game series around, having constant swearing on a Mario community would be out of place. I'm not such a prude that I think all these middle school kids will be scarred for life if they see a bad word online (especially since they probably hear far, far worse things in the hallways at school). However, if you can't express yourself without using strong language, perhaps you need to work on being a better communicator.

That said, I'd be willing to remove the more offbeat filters like "GORILLA!" - although I must admit that I very much enjoyed that one.

Personally, I like the idea of Tusk Bucks better than a more generic-sounding Coins system. It's unique, quirky, and fun. However, I don't want to push too hard for Tusk Bucks, being the one who originally came up with the term and all. And, of course, Coins are a recurring theme in the Mario series, so those would fit in quite nicely.

An RP board is unlikely to succeed. When we tried the Serious Forum Games board in 2010, MFGG probably had a greater number of people who were into RPing than there are today, and it was not a success.

Also, using "autistic" as an insult, especially when directed toward a specific member, is not cool. A significant percentage of people on MFGG (and in creative circles in general) are on the autism spectrum, and not all of them are immature or socially awkward. Plus, it's simply not nice.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:24 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
VinnyVideo wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of profanity in general, but considering that we're a fansite for one of the cleanest-cut video game series around, having constant swearing on a Mario community would be out of place. I'm not such a prude that I think all these middle school kids will be scarred for life if they see a bad word online (especially since they probably hear far, far worse things in the hallways at school). However, if you can't express yourself without using strong language, perhaps you need to work on being a better communicator.

i don't think anyone here is advocating for constant swearing. while the focus is and should be focusing on newbies, if an adult wants to see profanity they should have the option to uncensor it. that being said i agree with previous points that letting it be a toggle would encourage users to do it more, however i will reiterate that a custom word filter that works on a per-user basis should "distract" enough from it's main purpose.

it's also just plain unfair to say "if you can't explain yourself without saying x then maybe you're just bad at communicating". different people express themselves and their opinions in certain ways and that aforementioned mindset is one we should try to move away from, it's belittling.

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next  [ 885 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Post new topic