Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 45  Next  [ 885 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Post new topic 
 [au]
 Post subject: Re: Site Talkback and Suggestions
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:18 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
HylianDev wrote:
I can't believe I have to say this, but if you admit to doing something yourself, don't actively advocate for stopping other people from doing it by force

Well I don't swear here for the same reason I already outlined. I don't swear in front of kids or elders in real life, why would I swear around a bunch of kids here? I don't NEED to.

Vimimin wrote:
I don't see why you're so against having the option of turning the swear filter off. If you want a swear filter, just don't turn it off for yourself?

Kritter wrote:
As for people being able to handle swearing, that's fine but the forum caters for everyone, not just those who want to swear. I suppose it being toggleable might help that a bit, but at the same time I worry it will just make people swear MORE because suddenly they're allowed to break a long standing rule, see what I mean? Give an inch, take a mile sort of thing.

That, and aside from "it looks ugly", I'm yet to see a good reason to allow everyone to swear as much as they like. This board has a long history and everytime people are given what they want after they go on about how it'll be good for the board, it gets abused to the fullest extent.

Last edited by Kritter on Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[gs]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:20 pm 
Tusk Bucks sounds more original and it does somewhat speak for itself, but it seems arbitrary to anyone not familiar with MFGG culture. I think Coins would make more sense to newer members (Something MFGG should be going for) and is shorter to display/type up without further explanation (Shortening it to TBs would only confuse those unfamiliar further).

As for adding features similar to Minus World, I'd say this is a very good idea. As someone who was initially resistant to adding such things to the board back when it was in a decline thinking reactions and the like would hurt potential posts even further, it's incredibly refreshing to have a ton of new ways to provide feedback on posts in addition to just replies. If anything reacting makes you more likely to reply, in my experience. I don't think Spells as a whole fit MFGG at all, but being able to spend some of your Tusk Bucks/Coins to highlight good posts with part of the cost going to the initial poster as a reward is something that should definitely be looked at if you all went for adding a site currency.

Super Mario WTL's post is fantastic and should definitely be looked over for potential future features, I especially like the fangame card idea since until now people have struggled to come up with a way to show that off on the boards.

Vimimin wrote:
Quote:
To my knowledge MFGG hasn't had a toggleable filter but I could be wrong.

Actually, the IPB iteration of MFGG (aka the one I joined early on during and the one a lot of people come from) had a toggleable swear filter added to it sometime not too long after I joined.

I don't see why you're so against having the option of turning the swear filter off. If you want a swear filter, just don't turn it off for yourself?

Yeah it did, it was really nice at the time.

I can somewhat understand not wanting the feature given that a lot of younger members use MFGG and having a toggleable filter makes it more likely in some ways for members to swear and treat it as a natural thing to do, but at the same time older members shouldn't be blocked from seeing the swears that do get posted anyways.

HylianDev wrote:
12 years? god help you :/

Is this a bad thing now? It'll be 11 years for me come February.

[tt]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:33 pm 
:D
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Hey change of topic, I've been thinking we should have more post icon tags. It would be great to have a FUNNY one, maybe a SWITCH for the system, or DUMB/STUPID for weird things. Any other ideas I can get I can mention here.

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:37 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Draku wrote:
HylianDev wrote:
12 years? god help you :/

Is this a bad thing now? It'll be 11 years for me come February.

Nah I was quoting his user title haha. I've been here for 10 years since November.

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:46 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Parakarry wrote:
Hey change of topic, I've been thinking we should have more post icon tags. It would be great to have a FUNNY one, maybe a SWITCH for the system, or DUMB/STUPID for weird things. Any other ideas I can get I can mention here.

i think if we have more then we may as well just user user created tags instead. that way it's less workload on whoever has to make them all and it'd be easier to search right off the bat.

[br]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:02 pm 
Not a bird
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
We have "WTF?" in place of "funny" or "dumb/stupid", but I like the "Switch" tag idea. :)

Spoiler:

[tt]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:19 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Mit wrote:
Parakarry wrote:

i think if we have more then we may as well just user user created tags instead. that way it's less workload on whoever has to make them all and it'd be easier to search right off the bat.

I wouldn't mind doing graphics for them, I would just have to match the pixel style to it.

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:26 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I also like the idea of having a Switch topic icon. In fact, I decided to go out and make one for a few minutes. Here's the result:

Any thoughts on it, guys?

Also, one thing I would like to say is that we should to try get more Special Competitions around. I think they would certainly be a nice change of pace from the Sprite, Music, Minigame, Drawing, and Super Competitions that don't really offer anything new besides the themes. I suggest having a story-writing competition for a Special Competition.

User page at mfgg.net

[br]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:56 pm 
Not a bird
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I think the icon is too red and bland, it just needs a pattern that breaks the redness, perhaps a few stripes, dots or a gradient.

Now, do the tags have any more function other than to decorate the posts' titles? Why isn't there an option to search posts by tag?

Spoiler:

[tt]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:14 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
This?

Attachments:
switchicon.png
switchicon.png [ 715 Bytes | Viewed 8147 times ]

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:40 am 
He has no file, He has no name!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Re: Kritter's "it'll cause people to swear more" argument... So? It's not this forum's job to police how many times someone says ****, and like the only way it becomes a problem is if people use swearing to insult each other/use slurs, etc. And even then, that's not a problem with the swearing itself, but rather that user's behavior (plus it's not like someone cant already call someone a piece of ****, it's just censored).

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:36 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
MoneyMan wrote:
Re: Kritter's "it'll cause people to swear more" argument... So? It's not this forum's job to police how many times someone says ****, and like the only way it becomes a problem is if people use swearing to insult each other/use slurs, etc. And even then, that's not a problem with the swearing itself, but rather that user's behavior (plus it's not like someone cant already call someone a piece of ****, it's just censored).

I'm still yet to see a negative to keeping the filter. All I saw was you openly admit people will swear more.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:24 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

It's slightly insulting to me as an adult that I'm not allowed to see what somebody typed because it's bad. I want the filter to be optional. You're not winning any points by telling me I shouldn't be allowed to see bad words.

Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:46 am 
He has no file, He has no name!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Kritter wrote:
I'm still yet to see a negative to keeping the filter. All I saw was you openly admit people will swear more.

It's more a "even if they do, so what?" than a "this will happen". I'm not really a fan of you policing the language of others when that language isn't used harmfully, and just because you have hang ups when it comes to swearing (which is fine, btw) doesnt mean you need to talk down to other people and imply they're worse for swearing, being ok with seeing swears, and wishing they could actually see what people have posted. No one here's wanting the filter to go away completely, we just want it to be a choice so it doesnt feel like we're being babied because we cant handle seeing a word.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:59 pm 
[*]
How would the request board work?

[au]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:29 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
HylianDev wrote:
It's slightly insulting to me as an adult that I'm not allowed to see what somebody typed because it's bad. I want the filter to be optional. You're not winning any points by telling me I shouldn't be allowed to see bad words.

You are an adult, on a board that's primarily aimed at a younger crowd. It's not you I care about.

Filter by choice is a joke, it's there to make people feel better about themselves, it's the illusion of choice but nobody will use it, instead they'll see "oh cool I can turn it off and swear when I want, awesome!"

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:34 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Kritter wrote:
HylianDev wrote:

You are an adult, on a board that's primarily aimed at a younger crowd. It's not you I care about.

Filter by choice is a joke, it's there to make people feel better about themselves, it's the illusion of choice but nobody will use it, instead they'll see "oh cool I can turn it off and swear when I want, awesome!"

I recall coming back to MFGG in 2013 and being extremely religious at the time. I definitely appreciated the swear filter, and at that point I finally understood why most sites make it optional.

Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:38 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
HylianDev wrote:
Kritter wrote:
HylianDev wrote:

I recall coming back to MFGG in 2013 and being extremely religious at the time. I definitely appreciated the swear filter, and at that point I finally understood why most sites make it optional.

And that reason waaaaas?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:51 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Kritter wrote:
And that reason waaaaas?

Hahaha wow. There's no such thing as winning an argument when Kritter is around. It doesn't matter if his side is "people shouldn't be allowed to see what the other users actually posted", he's going to make damn sure the argument doesn't end with him being seen as anything less than the Always-Right Almighty Oldbie®

The fact is that we're moving away from authoritarianism. A toggling swear filter goes along with that. We want to be accessible to all. A toggling swear filter goes along with that; good for the prudent and the low-brow alike. We want to have a better site. More features like a toggling swear filter goes along with that.

Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[de]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:58 pm 
... Coruption ...
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I mean why need a reason for or against it if it is something optional? Let people choose what they want, give them the freedom, if they want the swearing sure, they can have that, if not, not. Why do you need a reason to make something optional instead of it being neccassery?

Paper Mario CC Progress:
General Progress, 8%

Games I support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 45  Next  [ 885 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Post new topic