Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 38 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [nl]
 Post subject: Re: [VOTING] Super Competition #1-2016
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:13 pm 
Wreck 'n get stomped
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
This was a great Super Comp, I really enjoyed all entries. Dustinvgmaster gets my vote, but the other two came really close!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:47 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I vote for Toad and the Ancient Keys.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:47 pm 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Ok so I played the entries and here's what I think:

Annalynn
I really love the polish that went into this. Everything fits together. The graphics, gameplay and sound all look like they could come from a real arcade game from the 80s. This game is full of flash and flare and I think that extra polish is what sets Annalynn a cut above the competition.

Overall it just boils down to Pacman but a platformer, which in itself is an interesting twist but it didn't hold my interest for very long. Such is the fate of the arcade genre I suppose.

Toad and the Ancient Keys
At first I was like, 'wow this is dumb and boring' and then the doors locked and the music kicked in and then I was like, 'wow this is a lot less dumb and boring'. Unfortunately I think this game suffered a lot from being too small to do the metroidvania style justice. There's is no pause screen to review your upgrades or minimap to keep you moving in the right direction and nothing to tell me what buttons I should be pressing. My main gripe is that charging your jump and using your sword is much too slow. I think both of these actions could do with a speed boost. There is also no feedback from spinjumping on enemies. A sound effect would be really nice here.

It feels like it could have used a few more days, but with the above features and a little bit of polish, I think this would have been my top pick.

Beat: the Game
I'm not sure if this game is supposed to be infinite or not. There was no feedback whatsoever on whether or not I was making progress. I just kept protecting Eddie until I eventually died. I like that you can pick him up and boost him through the level a bit. I don't like that the title screen has me press A and then moves over to ctrl to pick up eddie. I think it would have been much better if it was just A. I think this game does stick to the theme of defense the best, though.

Overall, I think Blutorus's game, Annalynn did the best, so he gets my vote. A round of applause to all three participants. You guys done did good.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:49 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Syaxamaphone wrote:
I'm not sure if this game is supposed to be infinite or not. There was no feedback whatsoever on whether or not I was making progress. I just kept protecting Eddie until I eventually died. I like that you can pick him up and boost him through the level a bit. I don't like that the title screen has me press A and then moves over to ctrl to pick up eddie. I think it would have been much better if it was just A. I think this game does stick to the theme of defense the best, though.

Beat: the Game does have an ending with a little cutscene. I got to it by the skin of my teeth.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:01 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Syaxamaphone wrote:

Like Willsaber said, there is an end to the game. It just takes a while to get to that point. Also, the title screen allows any key to be pressed, and not just the A key. I guess I should've made it more clear that you can press any key to start the game. Oh well. :whoops: Thanks for the little review, anyway! :)

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:28 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I'm voting for Beat: the Game. While the other two games were fun, they were a bit too far off of being a defense game.

---------------

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:09 pm 
Great Time Champion
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
At first I was like, 'wow this is dumb and boring' and then the doors locked and the music kicked in and then I was like, 'wow this is a lot less dumb and boring'.

Hahaha. Well, I'll be honest, the intended purpose of the intro was to ease you in and set up the need to find the keys, but it's kinda hilarious that it had a deceptive quality to it.

Unfortunately I think this game suffered a lot from being too small to do the metroidvania style justice. [...] It feels like it could have used a few more days, but with the above features and a little bit of polish, I think this would have been my top pick.

Yeah, completely agreed. I started kinda late, so I wasn't really able to do the idea the justice I felt it needed.

There's is no pause screen to review your upgrades or minimap to keep you moving in the right direction and nothing to tell me what buttons I should be pressing. My main gripe is that charging your jump and using your sword is much too slow. I think both of these actions could do with a speed boost. There is also no feedback from spinjumping on enemies. A sound effect would be really nice here.

Noted. The upgrade review screen was something I considered, but I didn't feel the minimap was necessary due to the relatively small size of the game world.

The spinjump delay is definitely a valid criticism, but I kinda disagree about the sword delay.

Also, yeah, I'll probably add a sound effect for spinjumping off of something later.

Image | Image | Image | Image
Profiles
Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:52 pm 
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I was torn between Annalynn and Ancient Keys. Ultimately though, I had more legitimate interest in Ancient Keys so that's where my vote's going! Sorry Blu X'D

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:04 pm 
Great Time Champion
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Okay, Blu just informed me that I misunderstood one of the rules and that there has to be one original song composed specifically for the game. The song in Ancient Keys is Bee's Knees by Spriter Gors and existed before the game.

Would it be legal to update it with an original song somewhere or am I just up the creek on this one?

Profiles

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:23 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Considering that you didn't know that there has to be at least one original music track and you are going to update the game just to include an original music track, I think it's okay if you update it.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:05 pm 
I hate yellow balls of consumption.
[S]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Vinny was a cool dude and streamed all 3 games. If you aren't able to play any of them, be sure to take a look for yourself at the entries! Although playing them yourself is highly recommended, especially since the copy of my game he was playing is slightly outdated.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:19 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I enjoyed all three of the games. It's hard to choose just one, but Blutorus gets my vote. As much as I enjoyed Dustin's game, I think Blu's entry fits the competition theme better.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:44 pm 
Great Time Champion
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Alright, the link has been updated with a new death song by Vitiman. It's a bit of a stretch, but hopefully it'll suffice. I also updated a sprite or two to have two frames of animation just to be safe.

Also, I suppose this technically makes Vitiman my partner for this. Do with that info what you will.

Profiles

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[tw]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:24 am 
福瑞退化者
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
All of these games are great! However I cast my vote on Blutorus! Good job making it like an actual arcade game! Also Q-Nova's game has a really original gameplay and Dustinvgmaster's game feels like an actual NES game (sadly there's parts that's pretty difficult like spin jump over the saws and the super jump charging takes a bit longer than I expected).

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:39 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
It is now past February 25, which means that the voting has now ended. So, let's take look at the final results of the competition, shall we?

Blutorus - III
Dustinvgmaster & Vitiman - II
Q-Nova & Cadet - I

Well, it appears that the winner for this competition, is none other than Blutorus! Congratulations! Your game was quite a tasty treat! :thumbsup:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: [FINISHED] Super Competition #1-2016
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:41 pm 
Great Time Champion
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
So, I take it Vitiman's involvement invalidated the vote?

Profiles

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:09 pm 
I hate yellow balls of consumption.
[S]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Thanks for voting, everyone! Badges have appeared for many to enjoy, including myself.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:22 pm 
Silly guy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Too late to vote, but I gotta say, all of these games were excellent!

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 38 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked