Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 40 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [ca]
 Post subject: Metroid: Samus Returns for 3DS, who's buying it?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:10 pm 
son of Xereus
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
It's pretty common knowledge that Metroid games just don't sell as many copies as Marios, Zeldas and Pokemons. Many have speculated that the sparse release of Metroid games results from this. The theory goes that if new Metroid games sell well, we'll get even more Metroid games.

At least, that's what this dude is hoping:
https://twitter.com/MRengar_

He's trying to get the word out about the new Metroid game, Metroid: Samus Returns using the hashtag #OperationSamusReturns

If you're a fan of Metroid (and of grassroots campaigning), the campaign suggests you should tell anyone you know that owns a 3DS about the new Metroid game coming out on September 15.

I've been tweeting using the hashtag. :thumbsup: I can't help feeling optimistic about Nintendo these days. :)

Let's get the word out, and hopefully we can really resurrect this series in a big way!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Metroid: Samus Returns for 3DS, who's buying it?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:43 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
the thing about metroid sales is that they're consistently significantly better in the west than in japan- which is (was?) a big no-no for nintendo, who focuses on their japan sales way more than around the world. hopefully this and prime 4 continue the trend, and even moreso make nintendo realize that japan isn't their only source of income. this same reason is why we don't see a lot from punch-out and f-zero.

if i have money i'll likely get return of samus at launch, if not later down the line. fusion and zero mission were really fun and i wanna see more from that style of control in metroid.

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:11 pm 
Great Time Champion
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Mit wrote:
the thing about metroid sales is that they're consistently significantly better in the west than in japan- which is (was?) a big no-no for nintendo, who focuses on their japan sales way more than around the world. hopefully this and prime 4 continue the trend, and even moreso make nintendo realize that japan isn't their only source of income.

Between these, Breath of the Wild and Odyssey, I'm starting to wonder if maybe Nintendo is experimenting with catering more to the west.

Though, this is very possibly just wishful thinking.

Image | Image | Image | Image
Profiles
Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:50 pm 
Rayman 2 is the best Rayman game.
Honestly, I'm just not a guy for Metroid games. They always bored me for some reason...maybe it was the backtracking? Oh well, my family will probably get it anyway. Who knows, maybe i'll try it.

[au]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:18 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Back tracking doesn't annoy me. I kind of like it, trying to remember the location of that one door that I can't go in yet so I can go back there later and see what mysteries lie beyond. Really though the main thing I love about Metroid games is the isolation and atmosphere. It's just Samus on a lonely planet filled with nasty creatures and nobody else, or at least most of the time. The first time you step foot onto the Tallon Overworld in Prime was breathtaking. Dark and rainy, knowing you have no idea where to go and are free to explore this brand new alien world.

Definitely getting this, though I will admit I'm far more excited for Prime 4.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:40 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Kritter wrote:
Back tracking doesn't annoy me. I kind of like it, trying to remember the location of that one door that I can't go in yet so I can go back there later and see what mysteries lie beyond. Really though the main thing I love about Metroid games is the isolation and atmosphere. It's just Samus on a lonely planet filled with nasty creatures and nobody else, or at least most of the time. The first time you step foot onto the Tallon Overworld in Prime was breathtaking. Dark and rainy, knowing you have no idea where to go and are free to explore this brand new alien world.

Definitely getting this, though I will admit I'm far more excited for Prime 4.

I don't like Prime very much. I'm much more anticipating this, since I suppose 2D Metroid is more my thing. Can this top Super? Let's wait and see!

[au]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:49 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I will admit Super Metroid is one of my favourite games of all time. I can hardly see this topping that, especially as Metroid 2 was a fairly weak game for its time.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:02 am 
I'll see you all at 3:15!
[*]
[*]
[*]
This game looks pretty decent, it'll give me something to dig up my 3DS for the first time in a while. I was surprised enough that they teased Prime 4 at E3, but a second Metroid game was just astonishing.

The only thing I'm really, really not liking is more content being hidden behind Amiibo, but a bit more meaty this time ("Fusion Mode" which is essentially Hard Mode, an art gallery, and sound test). Since those particular Amiibo unlocks are behind an exclusive 3-pack of Amiibo that'll be hard to find, I find it kind of a dick move to hide a game mode and rewards behind Amiibo (pirated NFC tags/cards will invariably crop up eventually but I still don't want to pay for relatively substantial content that's already in a game I'm paying for).

[ca]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:35 am 
Silly guy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
If my avatar says anything, it says "I'm excited".

This seems like a sweet installment in the series. 2.5D and Other M melee? This is going to be friggen fun. Almost seems like Smash Bros Semis controls in a traditional Metroid game. How sweet of a concept is this? Tell me? How sweet?

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:17 pm 
Yep! It's been 14 years since we've gotten a 2D Metroid game and we are finally getting one.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:06 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Nope, I don't have a 3DS. Luckily, I downloaded AM2R before it got DMCA'd into oblivion.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:23 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
I'll pirate it as the usual. I can't tell if this remake is actually good or not.

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:35 pm 
I'll buy it just because I enjoy 2D Metroid and want the game to sell well

[ca]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:40 pm 
Silly guy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Pedigree wrote:
Nope, I don't have a 3DS. Luckily, I downloaded AM2R before it got DMCA'd into oblivion.

Same here. Keep it lit.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:44 am 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I'm not sure how to feel about Samus Returns, frankly.

'Cause on the one hand, Another Metroid 2 Remake is actually pretty dang good.

But on the other hand, it also looks like Nintendo's trying to make up for the negative feeling left in Other M's wake, between this - which clearly uses more Prime-and-Super-esque designs rather than sticking with the rather bad Other M ones - and Prime 4.

It's kind of a shame they're sticking with 2.5D work here - while it certainly looks better than, say, New Super Mario Bros., I actually quite liked the detailed sprites of Fusion and Zero Mission and feel like, on the 3DS, they'd be able to create a wonderful-looking 2D game, with basic 3D layers like, say, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse.

I get why they're going the 2.5D route - it's easier and lets them do all those crazy camera stunts - but still. Either way, it's an improvement over the absolutely tiny screenspace and gihugic Samus sprites of the original Game Boy game.

Also, I've got a feeling people will call this "The Other Metroid 2 Remake."

Of course, as per usual, I wish Nintendo would just release a post-Fusion game already. Seriously, so many possibilities for a Metroid game unlike any other - in a good way - that they just refuse to take.

(I'd also like to see the Fusion suit as an unlockable. Either in this game or Prime 4. 'Cause it looks cool and looked pretty good in Prime.)

Falcon Punch is the result of the Sun heating fists. It drives the Blue Falcon. Heating causes destruction of water into the pain, where it then hurts, creating rain. Rain creates flowing water in tears, which can then be converted into other forms through more pain.

scaled image
Mario's Sticker Stage - Finished adding Jump Stickers!, 26%

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:58 am 
Great Time Champion
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Zero Kirby wrote:
(I'd also like to see the Fusion suit as an unlockable. Either in this game or Prime 4. 'Cause it looks cool and looked pretty good in Prime.)

Good news and bad news. Good news is that the word on the grapevine is that the hard mode is called "Fusion Mode" and lets you do just that.

Bad news is that it might be locked behind amiibo.

Image | Image | Image | Image
Profiles
Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:21 am 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I'm fairly certain it's been confirmed amiibo are simply alternate unlock methods, but don't quote me on that.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:50 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I thought it'd been confirmed as the opposite, there is NO other way to unlock the content including the Fusion difficulty mode without having the corresponding amiibo.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:40 am 
son of Xereus
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Kritter wrote:
I thought it'd been confirmed as the opposite, there is NO other way to unlock the content including the Fusion difficulty mode without having the corresponding amiibo.

It's official that after defeating the game, you'll be able to unlock the Fusion Mode, which means you wear the Fusion suit and have increased difficulty. This is on top of the regular hard mode that will be contained within the game. Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mieAvMdsi3I

Did anyone see the new Metroid-themed New 3DS XL?

https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/08/nin ... on-3ds-xl/

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:25 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Good, because that was one of the main things people got up in arms about when the amiibo functionality was announced.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 40 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic