Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 40 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Metroid: Samus Returns for 3DS, who's buying it?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:46 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Today's lesson: citations are king when it comes to confirming things

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:50 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
It's literally the first I've heard of it though, just watched a video posted 7 hours ago from GameXPlain that still says you need the amiibo to unlock the fusion difficulty. If it is indeed misinformation and people are that upset about it, it's kind of on Nintendo to clear up that confusion.

Edit: Ah you're wrong actually:

From Eurogamer
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-07-26-metroid-samus-returns-has-exclusive-content-for-four-amiibo
Quote:
UPDATE 8/8/17 1.50pm: Metroid: Samus Returns will include a hard mode accessible without the need for amiibo - separate to the one unlocked using the "squidgy" Metroid figurine.

Nintendo shared the news with our friends across the ocean at USGamer. It makes the whole amiibo situation seem a little fairer - although you'll still be missing out on some fun extras without the game's four compatible figurines.

So, to be clear, there are two hard modes in the game. Hard mode, which will unlock normally after you complete Samus Returns, and then Fusion Mode, which is even harder and grants Samus' Metroid Fusion suit. The latter is the one you need amiibo for.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/nintendo-addresses-the-metroid-samus-returns-amiibo-controversy
Quote:
Here's the lowdown of what Nintendo told USgamer. When I asked Nintendo representatives at the preview event if hard mode was locked behind amiibos, they were clear to make the distinction. "Fusion Mode," they corrected me. Yes, Fusion Mode—which will give players access to Samus' Fusion Suit as well as a more challenging difficulty in the game—is indeed locked behind the Metroid amiibo. This content will not be offered as a separate DLC in Nintendo's digital eShop. However, there will be a standard hard mode that will be unlockable once players complete the game on regular difficulty. This mode, which is confusingly separate from the Fusion Mode's harder difficulty, is said to be harder than the standard difficulty but not as hard as that found in Fusion Mode.

So you DO need the amiibo to unlock and play Fusion difficulty.

Last edited by Kritter on Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:21 pm 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Well I was probably gonna pick up the amiibo anyway but it kinda sucks I have to to unlock Fusion mode

That Samus-style 3DS though, awwwwww man

The battery on my New 3DS is actually starting to kinda go kaput, so I think grabbin' one-a-dem to replace it will be happening

Falcon Punch is the result of the Sun heating fists. It drives the Blue Falcon. Heating causes destruction of water into the pain, where it then hurts, creating rain. Rain creates flowing water in tears, which can then be converted into other forms through more pain.

scaled image
Mario's Sticker Stage - Finished adding Jump Stickers!, 26%

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:23 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I'm not getting the Samus amiibo because I don't want two Samus amiibo, but I'm definitely getting the squishy Metroid. Even if I wasn't collecting the things I'd still want that Metroid amiibo. Pity I don't have one of those NFC readers for my 3DS though.

Honestly I don't care about hard modes that much. It's rare I get time to finish a game these days so I'm happy to do it once on normal difficulty and then forget about it.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:51 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Why is the Samus Returns amiibo not in the style of the game?

I vastly prefer that style

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:57 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
The amiibo is designed to look like the Samus on the boxart, which is in itself a throwback to the original boxart. Though if it were more like the default starting Samus I would've picked it up. As it is it looks too similar to my Smash Bros amiibo which is why I didn't preorder it.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:22 pm 
Great Time Champion
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
HylianDev wrote:
Why is the Samus Returns amiibo not in the style of the game?

I vastly prefer that style

Like, what aspect exactly are we talkin' here? If you mean the overall design, I think Amiibo Samus is just her with the Varia Suit.

Color scheme definitely seems a bit different, though. A bit Fusion-esque in-game.

Image | Image | Image | Image
Profiles
Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:31 pm 
Silly guy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
All these game modes and features, this will be one heck of a game.

I like Samus' design should be sweet

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:37 am 
[RII]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I'll finally need to ask for my 3DS back.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:43 pm 
son of Xereus
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Retriever II wrote:
I'll finally need to ask for my 3DS back.

Good plan. :P Or buy that new fancy Samus themed one. ;)

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:39 pm 
I've never really been interested in the Prime series, maybe Prime 4 will change my mind but I'm unsure for now :think:

All I can say is that this game looks like it'll be an enjoyable time, but don't take my word for it, I've also heard good things from people who got to preview it too.

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:32 pm 
Silly guy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Awesome that previews are positive

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:43 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
So I've got this game as of this morning and played the first 30 minutes or so. It's everything I could've wanted in a new Metroid game, controls are fine and despite the 3D graphics it's quite pretty and atmospheric. The music gives me a huge Metroid Prime vibe which is fine by me.

100% recommendation so far though I'm still yet to sink my teeth in.

Also the squishy Metroid amiibo is my new favourite.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:53 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
i dunno, these controls are really starting to wear at my thumbs, and i haven't even played for that long

they separated so many actions across all buttons and i feel like i've gotta keep my fingers in places where they just can't get any rest. Y and B being shoot and jump respectively instead of B and A is a big part of it, on top of not being able to use the d-pad at all, i feel like i have to scrunch my hands up in a way that doesn't feel good

having to stop and go with the aiming system and parrying is also pretty wonky, i get what they wanted to do but it breaks the pace of the game a lot when you're suddenly getting blindsided by an enemy that lunges at you the second you get within line of sight. similarly having to manually switch around beams with the touch screen of all things rather than having them stack or be toggleable like in super is really obnoxious, exiting a room and re-remembering that "oh yea, the ice beam doesnt do anything besides freeze enemies" gets pretty tiresome after the 15th time

im gonna assume the game'll be a bit easier to run through once i get beefier as samus, but these controls really are just not doing it for me at all

EDIT: figured out that parrying puts you in a pseudo-scripted sequence where if you dont move your subsequent shot will kill the enemy in one hit, regardless of how much damage they take otherwise. while this kinda alleviates the problem i had with how many buttons i had to worry about this brings about a new problem where every enemy is solved with the same "wait > press X > press Y" routine

[au]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:50 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I will admit I wish I could switch which buttons jump and shoot etc. I was surprised it wasn't an option.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:31 pm 
[*]
The Completionist released his review of the game today. It's good. Like, so good that he doesn't regret playing through it 7 times to get everything. He does mirror mit and Kritter's complaints about the controls, though. The game tries to do waaay too much with the 3DS controller. Near the end he got on his knees and begged for a patch to swap some things out.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:18 pm 
Silly guy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I'll be picking it up tomorrow, I'm excited.

IGN's review said the map was huge and music was like the prime games. It'll be fun to play. Can't wait to be honest.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:55 pm 
hi hello
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I really want to at least play this game some time if not own it. I played Metroid Prime with my brother when i was little, I played Other M a little bit but I didn't really care for the gameplay as much as I did the creatures, environments and overall atmosphere. This one looks more appealing to me gameplay wise, so I'm hoping I can try it out some time!

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:11 pm 
Great Time Champion
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I have a few complaints but I'm really enjoying it.

Most of the complaints are that the wall jump is weird now. Why'd they make it weird?

Image | Image | Image | Image
Profiles
Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:48 am 
always have a hot girl as your avatar
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Dustinvgmaster wrote:
I have a few complaints but I'm really enjoying it.

Most of the complaints are that the wall jump is weird now. Why'd they make it weird?

how is the wall jump weird? granted, it's never been this easy to wall jump, given that you've just got to press jump while touching a wall, but i remember the wall jump in metroid fusion operating similarly to this game's iteration of the technique. that is, you can't turn around until a certain point, and it's not possible to ride up a wall using walljumps like it was in super metroid.

that notwithstanding, i think i'm really enjoying this metroid game. i can't write a beautifully detailed description of what i think of this metroid title vis-a-vis other games in the series, so i hope it's sufficient that i say that this game's just a good, solid 2D metroid. for $40 of my hard earned wages, it had better be.

I don't really use waifu seriously. The very definition of waifu is that you are in love with them and I'm not at the point where I would develop romantic feelings for an anime character. It's only... friendsu with benefitsu ;)

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 40 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic