Post subject: Games You Should Play
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:14 am 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

So, I've played some pretty good games in my lifetime. But honestly, I haven't played nearly enough. There are so many great games that I've never experienced.

So, in this topic, name some games that you think are really good, or games that should be necessary to play.

I'll start with a few basic ones:

• Braid. The catalyst for the indie industry. But beyond that, it's a really good, fun game, and also serves as an example of Jonathan Blow's game development philosophy. Tutorials = bad. Teach and tell stories through gameplay.
  • Star Fox 64. If you haven't played this game, I highly recommend it. It's a quick action game that shouldn't take more than a couple hours to beat, no matter which path you take. The characters... probably haven't aged super well, but at the time they were great. Voice acting in a Nintendo game! It's just really really fun (except the vehicle levels, which seem to be hit-or-miss).
  • Tony Hawk series. Probably play one from Project 8 or before. The gameplay is really fun, some games have cool story modes, and the soundtracks are all extremely memorable.
  • Hitman series. You play as a world-class assassin. Each level is a small, living, breathing world. It's your job to change that. You can either silently eliminate your targets without anyone noticing, or you can go through the whole game guns blazing and kill everyone in sight. Many times have I put on the level Tradicions of the Trade from Hitman: Contracts and killed the entire population of the level just for fun. The new Hitman game is a great game and will probably be the most accessible since it's brand new, though Hitman 2, Contracts, and Blood Money are also great. The original, Codename: 47, has aged really poorly, and Absolution is alright but it tries too hard to be a linear action game hybrid.

What are some games you guys think everyone should check out?

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
 Post subject: Re: Games You Should Play
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:34 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Vexx

I brought it up so many times already and I will keep bringing it up. Such a great game.
I honestly had more fun with it than with Super Mario 64.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:56 pm 
¿
Good At French
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Little king's story is a realtime strategy/RGP game where you conquer the WORLD!!! Mind you, it does have some weird stuff in it.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:49 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Metal Arms: A Glitch in the System

It was a great, underappreciated gem from the Gamecube era. It was released on all 3 major consoles but I had it for Gamecube. It was an action platformer similar to games like Ratchet and Clank or Jak, but had a lot of unique mechanics and ideas that separated it from those games. You play as an unearthed Robot with no memory in the middle of a rebellion and have to run, gun and jump your way through some fun times. The main hook was the fact that you could "tether" enemies and take them over. It also had some really fun vehicle segments, awesome music and funny dialogue.

Plus it had a really fun multiplayer that took full advantage of the tethering mechanic, especially one level that you could unlock that let one player tether the final boss of the game and just obliterate the other players. Had some good fun playing this game at LAN parties. A sequel was planned but cancelled and the company, Swingin' Ape Entertainment, was bought out.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:58 pm 
Lawful Evil
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
It's a monstrously well-known game nowadays, but it still feels necessary to recommend Dark Souls, particularly the first of the main trilogy. One of the rare games to blend immersive world design with very competent level design. The difficulty of the game is greatly over-exaggerated (particularly by game journalists, which tend to be awful at video games) and captures the style of challenge in NES/SNES titles very well.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:51 am 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Phantom 2040. A SNES game that acts as a combination of Super Metroid and Mega Man X. You play as the titular Phantom in the year 2040, and from the very first level you're given a choice - go left and rescue people caught in a fire to make the next level a bit easier, or go right and take down the attackers to get a new weapon.

From there, the game's ending, where you go, and what you get depends on your choices. Add in a grappling hook that can attach to any surface, great visuals, and a kickass soundtrack, and you've got a fantastic game with plenty of room for exploration.

Falcon Punch is the result of the Sun heating fists. It drives the Blue Falcon. Heating causes destruction of water into the pain, where it then hurts, creating rain. Rain creates flowing water in tears, which can then be converted into other forms through more pain.

scaled image
Mario's Sticker Stage - Finished adding Jump Stickers!, 26%

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:34 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Kritter wrote:
Metal Arms: A Glitch in the System

I never thought that someone would ever mention that! I played that game fairly quite often on my OG Xbox. It was pretty fun game to play, kinda better than the Robots movie game on OG Xbox.

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:58 am 
SMRPG Fanatic
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Team Buddies was a sleeper-hit and is pretty good if you're looking for PS1 gems. I'd describe it as a top-down shooter with real-time strategy elements and dark humor. The basis of the game is players build units from blocks collected from around the map and placing in their base's 2x2 building pad. Combinations of blocks you place on the building pad are different (for example 2 blocks high for a generic grunt, up to 2x2x2 for a tank vehicle, or some other combinations for a weapon, etc) with the combinations being different based on the map setting. From memory, you could make things like machine guns, super heroes (they have laser vision and flying, no less!), UFOs... pretty interesting stuff.
If you happen to find it, I'd recommend getting it.

Games for the Record: FFIII/FF6 is great. The GBA version has an extra dungeon and more content in general, but it fixes exploitable things like Gau's Black Cat rage/Merit Reward/Tempest setup...
We Love Katamari (sequel to Katamari Damacy) is definitely one of my top favorites. Lots of mischievous fun rolling up frightened people and planets and stuff.

I definitely have others, but I'll have to dig them up again. (Tetris Attack is also up there as one of my top go-to games, but it's not for everyone)

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:27 am 
Lawful Evil
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I had Team Buddies as a child. What a bizarre game that was.

...I wonder if the 'bricks' method of spawning in Magikoopa Security Force was subconsciously inspired by that.

User page at mfgg.net

[ie]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:07 am 
thanks, neweegee!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
hotel mario
nah, the legend of zelda ocarina of time. the ultimate combination of open world and zedla on the market, making it the best n64 game in my opinion. even sm64 couldn't match it.

my youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Pu2NplrfCUbTxE_zyHITQ

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:26 am 
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

SilverVortex wrote:
hotel mario
nah, the legend of zelda ocarina of time. the ultimate combination of open world and zedla on the market, making it the best n64 game in my opinion. even sm64 couldn't match it.

We have Ocarina of Time HD already.

SMRPG maybe? I'm no fanboy of that game but it would be nice to see a remade version. A SMG HD would be awesome too.

User page at mfgg.net

[ie]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:52 am 
thanks, neweegee!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Mr. Saltman wrote:
SilverVortex wrote:
hotel mario

We have Ocarina of Time HD already.

SMRPG maybe? I'm no fanboy of that game but it would be nice to see a remade version. A SMG HD would be awesome too.

i like the original better. it has kewl glitches.

my youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Pu2NplrfCUbTxE_zyHITQ

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:10 am 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I really wanted a Majora's Mask HD for Wii U

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:06 am 
Silly guy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
All of the Bomberman games for the N64 I was obsessed with them. They had this strange, charming, trippy vibe to them. My #indiegame is taking cues from those games.
Another Metroid 2 Remake, God was this amazing. It captured a Metroid Prime and Zero Mission style, it also felt fresh and new even if you werent considering it was a remake.
Super Mario Land 2 is the pinnacle of imaginative worlds in a Mario game. Play it. I loved the uniqueness the trippy overworked and all the cute new creatures.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:04 pm 
Rayman 2 is the best Rayman game.
OK, I'll try to make a good explanation for this, since I'm not good at explanations, but I would TOTALLY recommend Rayman 2: The Great Escape or Rayman: Revolution, it's PS2 remake. It's one of those special Rayman games before the Rabbids (although I do like rabbids) made Rayman the comedy-based franchise he is today. Don't get me wrong, I LIKE Origins and Legends, but Rayman 2 is SOOOOOOO much better, even with it being a late 1990's 3D platformer. This game was released on...OK, a lot of consoles. Let me list them all: N64, PC, DS, PS1, 3DS, it USED to be on iOS, PS2 (Revolution, the version I own), Dreamcast, and it even has a totally different 2D version on GBC! Yeah, that's a lot of ports...anyway, the story is that the Robo-Pirates and their leader, Razorbeard, has taken over the world, scattered the 1000 Lums that make up the heart of the world, and has captured everyone, even Rayman. Then Rayman escapes with a power he gets from his friend, Globox, and escapes from the prison ship, hence the name, The Great Escape. Even though the game sounds serious compared to every other Rayman game, it still has some humor to it, and surprisingly, it's not dark humor. Honestly though, the reasoning for the game's name should be for around the end, a cutscene shows why in Dreamcast and PS2 exclusively, but I won't spoil that, or any more of the story. It's really good. The environments are very detailed for a late 1990's/early 2000's game, just kinda like how they are in any other Rayman game. The soundtrack is for the most part forgettable, but it makes up for how well it fits. It can make you feel sorrow, fear, happiness, like there's some mysterious stuff going on, and all of that. The most important part, though; the gameplay. The gameplay is easy, but still SUPER fun to play. A good reason could be that's there's variety done RIGHT in this game. Whatever else you do rather than platform in this game is platforming in a different way, and it's FUN, which is most important for a game. It needs to be fun, and that's what this game is. There's even collectibles in this game too! First, there's the 1000 Lums in this game that you need to collect. Usually it's the same amount of Lums in all the versions, except for the PS1 version, a con for that version. If you collect more more and more in The Great Escape (most versions do this), you can progress through levels, and learn more backstory about the world by standing still and holding a specific button. In Revolution, you can use Lums to buy upgrades and minigames. (don't think the rabbids started the minigames, rayman 1 started the minigames with a secret breakout game) There's also cages you need to break, and if you break them, you get special Lums that give you more Lums than the usual Lums. In Revolution, though, it's an entirely new collectible: Familiar Spirits. Getting ten Familiar (FACES--i mean) Spirits will let Ly the Fairy (the Fairy of this game who helps Rayman sometimes throughout the adventure) open a new door, aka portal for you, which is a challenge. If you complete the challenge provided for you, you get extra health, making it worth it to go and get those Familiar Spirits.

Overall, Rayman 2, in my opinion, is a FANTASTIC game. The version i'd recommend? Well, first I'd recommend Rayman: Revolution first, with its extra content and improved graphics, then the Dreamcast version, then the PC version, then the N64 version (if you don't mind mp3 music turning into midi, the PC and N64 versions are basically the same besides for the poly count), then the PS1 version. WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T touch the PS1 version. It may have MP3 music, and it gives you a demo of the 2D prototype for collecting around 90% of the Lums, but why I say to avoid this version, is that the 1000 Lums got cut down to 800, and level portions were cut out for voice acting. In fact, Revolution also has voice acting, but it's done better, AND no content is removed. Heck, NEW content was added! So I mean it when I say AVOID that version. Anyway, if you're more of a fan of 2D platformers, I'd recommend Rayman 2 for the GBC. It isn't great, but isn't bad either. Anyway, I'm out, I wrote too much.

[zw]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:59 pm 
[*]
[*]
dmc3se
the devil may cry games are nearly at the peak of action games, and anyone interested in combat systems in games should check one out imo
i mention 3se rather than 1 or 4 because i think it's the easiest to get into. 4 is an absolute cluster**** when you have 3 different ways to switch your movesets around and access to about 50 moves at once. the campaign also sucks for like, the last third. dmc1 is way too old and hard and doesn't give you much freedom. a combo in that game is like three moves long and you spend most of your time just trying to get hits in rather than being able to experiment.
the non-special edition of 3 is also a disaster because they start you out on hard mode but with only 6 health and no special moves (when you should have about 20 health and most of the moves). also special edition has vergil so it's de facto better.
you can breeze through the game by equipping trickster style and dodging to your hearts content, and then experiment with different set ups when you have the basics down.
gr8 game

[au]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:51 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
On that note, I don't think people should discount the "DMC" re-imagining because the character of Dante was changed. If you can look past that, the gameplay is quite competent, it's actually a pretty good game in its genre.

Morrad1991 wrote:
All of the Bomberman games for the N64 I was obsessed with them. They had this strange, charming, trippy vibe to them. My #indiegame is taking cues from those games.
Another Metroid 2 Remake, God was this amazing. It captured a Metroid Prime and Zero Mission style, it also felt fresh and new even if you werent considering it was a remake.
Super Mario Land 2 is the pinnacle of imaginative worlds in a Mario game. Play it. I loved the uniqueness the trippy overworked and all the cute new creatures.

I think I mentioned this one to you before but Bomberman Tournament on the GBA is a pretty great game. It's Bomberman meets Zelda and it works really well. Was one of the first GBA games I owned and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:45 am 
Silly guy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Kritter wrote:

I think I mentioned this one to you before but BombermanTournament on the GBA is a pretty great game. It's Bomberman meets Zelda and it works really well. Was one of the first GBA games I owned and I'd recommend it to anyone.

I'll have to play that game one day. Bomberman had a cool GameCube game, I just looked it up: Bomberman Generation. I think I rented it one time. It wasn't a bad game but I don't think I ever got around to beating it.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:38 am 
Rayman 2 is the best Rayman game.
Oh, I have that game! Sadly, though, I haven't gotten around to beating it too....but the multiplayer is fun!

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:22 pm 
[*]

http://tss.asenheim.org/true-love.html

You just have to experience it. Honestly, best game I've ever played next to guitar hero 2.

to this point, i recently saw some video where a stupid teenager blew both of his hands off with a pipe bomb. my only question is, why couldn't this have been zelma2chainz instead?

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 24 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic