[ 19 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [zw]
 Post subject: why bayonetta owns
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:59 pm 
[*]
[*]
itt we discuss why bayonetta owns
i will contribute a few reasons myself, readers please add more at your convenience

1. interplay between wicked weave system and witch time system
bayonetta rewards players for finishing combos by letting them do a wicked weave: a powerful gigantic attack that can send most enemies flying.
it also rewards them for well-timed dodges by activating witch time: a state in which enemies move slower and are more susceptible to attacks

these are both great in concept, but would seem to contradict each other. dodging interrupts combos, which would prevent the player from doing wicked weaves

however, the game allows player to use dodge offset, a technique that allows bayonetta to dodge during an attack and continue the combo afterwards. this means a well-timed dodge during a combo allows for witch time wicked weaves, extremely powerful attacks that open the enemy up. dodge offsetting is difficult for first-time players, rewarding dedication and skill by opening up the systems.

2. unlockables
bayonetta has an absolute f*** of secrets, including secret weapons, secret accessories, secret characters and secret bosses. all of these are unique and are a fantastic reward for players willing to seek them out.

3. music
the music in this game owns. my personal favorite is probably red and black, the song that plays when bayonetta fights jeanne. other stand-outs include you may call me father, balder's battle music, and an absolute amazing remix of the after burner music

thanks for reading my great thread, hope to see lots of discussion about this gr8 game

[us]
 Post subject: Re: why bayonetta owns
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:06 pm 
Lawful Evil
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I've always preferred the Dark Souls approach to combat games over the Platinum method. The emphasis on style is very nice, however.

The concept of timed dodges reminds me a bit of how Kirby does things. Modern Kirby games are the king of combining invincibility frames with attacks. It would be nice to see a properly difficult Kirby game where the concept of using attacks to dodge, move, and damage simultaneously was core to the gameplay.

Given that the subject of this topic is relevant to Bayonetta, I shall post an excellent picture of Bayonetta.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:11 pm 
Great Time Champion
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Magnemania wrote:
Given that the subject of this topic is relevant to Bayonetta, I shall post an excellent picture of Bayonetta.

dude spoiler that there are children here

Jokes aside, I haven't played any of them yet. I keep hearing they're good, though.

Image | Image | Image | Image
Profiles
Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:14 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Magnemania wrote:

Kirby swallowed Bayonetta, or Bayonetta possessed Kirby?

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:14 pm 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Hell yes, Bayonetta owns, and I'm personally hoping both 1 and 2 see a Switch rerelease. It's pretty cool that the first game's on PC now, but I really like the unique Nintendo unlockables the Wii U version added. Summoning Bowser through Wicked Weaves is more entertaining than it should be.

On the topic of excellent music, Friendship is one amazing track. (And on a side note, I'm pretty happy they added my description for the BRSTM as well.)

Last edited by Zero Kirby on Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Falcon Punch is the result of the Sun heating fists. It drives the Blue Falcon. Heating causes destruction of water into the pain, where it then hurts, creating rain. Rain creates flowing water in tears, which can then be converted into other forms through more pain.

scaled image
Mario's Sticker Stage - Finished adding Jump Stickers!, 26%

User page at mfgg.net

[zw]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:15 pm 
[*]
[*]
Magnemania wrote:
The concept of timed dodges reminds me a bit of how Kirby does things. Modern Kirby games are the king of combining invincibility frames with attacks. It would be nice to see a properly difficult Kirby game where the concept of using attacks to dodge, move, and damage simultaneously was core to the gameplay.

yeah i've played the three new kirby games. they get pretty intense when you do the boss rush mode.
you can do some stuff like that in bayonetta. there's a teleport with invincibility and a couple moves have it too

for the most part they expect you to either dodge or parry though

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:16 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I've seen my buddy friend playing both it and Bayonetta 2. They look pretty cool and are delightfully insane, but they're a bit fast and busy for my personal gameplay tastes. Would still recommend, I reckon.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:19 pm 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
I'm neutral at best about the Baynetta games. It's also a little hard for me to get into them because the creator rubs me the wrong way.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:21 pm 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

E-Man wrote:
I'm neutral at best about the Baynetta games. It's also a little hard for me to get into them because the creator rubs me the wrong way.

Hideki Kamiya's a pretty abrasive individual, but I gotta give props to a guy who added himself to The Wonderful 101 as literally the worst character in the game who always dies in one hit.

Falcon Punch is the result of the Sun heating fists. It drives the Blue Falcon. Heating causes destruction of water into the pain, where it then hurts, creating rain. Rain creates flowing water in tears, which can then be converted into other forms through more pain.

scaled image

User page at mfgg.net

[zw]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:21 pm 
[*]
[*]
Miles wrote:
I've seen my buddy friend playing both it and Bayonetta 2. They look pretty cool and are delightfully insane, but they're a bit fast and busy for my personal gameplay tastes. Would still recommend, I reckon.

they're still pretty fun even if you mash your way through easy mode
the game does a really good job of teaching you how to avoid attacks. they're all really clearly telegraphed with visual and audio cues, usually a high-pitched metal sharpening sound and a flash of light.

very generous too. healing items are plentiful if you're willing to take the score penalty and there's so many checkpoints they'll restart you halfway through a boss if you die at the end

[fi]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:22 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I love both games. I'm not terribly good at them but I still think they're a blast.

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:26 pm 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

One criticism I do have about the first game is that there are some attacks that never activate Witch Time when dodged, and there's no clear division between which is which. It mostly becomes a problem in the final boss where you have to dodge long chains of attacks in order to get any Witch Time at all, or use parries or Bat Within, but I'm just not a fan of it.

I like the second game's solution where you just get much less Witch Time based on how you dodge or the opponent (demons give less Witch Time naturally). The second game in general just has a lot of nice improvements that tighten up the experience compared to the first, which kinda starts falling apart bit by bit towards the end. Still fun and cool, but some parts just wind up being frustrating.

scaled image

User page at mfgg.net

[zw]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:42 pm 
[*]
[*]
that's true yeah, you won't know if an attack gives you witch time until you try dodging it
i wouldn't call that a big deal though since you can just dodge again or attack or parry or whatever else. it's good training for non-stop infinite climax too

bayonetta 2 ruined witch time by making it way too short and designing enemies around it

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:12 pm 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
Zero Kirby wrote:
Hideki Kamiya's a pretty abrasive individual, but I gotta give props to a guy who added himself to The Wonderful 101 as literally the worst character in the game who always dies in one hit.

Well, if he's the kind of guy to even make fun of himself, I guess he's not so bad after all. Sure, I won't seek him out on Twitter, but at least he has a degree of modesty behind him.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:17 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I've yet to play a Bayonetta game. There's no denying that some of that music is awesome, though.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:17 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I own the original Bayonetta for PS3 as well as the double pack for the Wii U. I actually bought the collectors edition for the PS3 which included this thing:

No idea why, it's pretty cheaply made. Also a terrible, tiny art book. It was a pretty bad collectors edition. Bayonetta is a fantastic game, though I'm a fan of those types of games in general. I've only just started Bayonetta 2 as of a couple of days ago but I'm enjoying it so far. Can't wait to get my hands on some kind of sword. The Shuraba sword was by far and away my favourite way of playing through the first game.

Also this is the best song in the game.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[zw]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:24 pm 
[*]
[*]
Kritter wrote:
I've only just started Bayonetta 2 as of a couple of days ago but I'm enjoying it so far. Can't wait to get my hands on some kind of sword. The Shuraba sword was by far and away my favourite way of playing through the first game.

i don't know if they ever tell you this, but to get shuraba in bayo 2 you need to buy her bayo 1 costume. it's called the Old Witch outfit.
E-Man wrote:
Well, if he's the kind of guy to even make fun of himself, I guess he's not so bad after all. Sure, I won't seek him out on Twitter, but at least he has a degree of modesty behind him.

kamiya mostly knows english from chatting online so he seems really rude on twitter. in japanese he's a lot nicer and more eloquent

[au]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:05 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
BlasterMaster wrote:
i don't know if they ever tell you this, but to get shuraba in bayo 2 you need to buy her bayo 1 costume. it's called the Old Witch outfit.

Looks like I've got some halo's to farm then. I could be wrong because I can't remember if the sword still let you have weapons on your feet, but I think my best combination was the sword, and some kind of shotguns on my feet. Been a long time since I played the first one.

One of the best things about Bayonetta is that it's absolutely unapologetic for the kind of game that it is. The cutscenes are all ridiculously over the top, the gameplay is just pure, smooth chaos and even the music is a bit silly but it works so well when it's all put together and doesn't care what anyone thinks.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:16 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I hate the original clunky and ugly Bayonetta, but Bayonetta 2 is the only exceptional triple A game on the Wii U.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 19 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic