[ 13 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
What are you thankful for?, Thanksgiving is coming up!
 [zz]
 Post subject: What are you thankful for?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:03 pm 
Me, I'm thankful for the classic video game, Mario Bros, and its various variants released thereafter. The list of reasons for which I am thankful for Mario Bros. is quite the large one, but in being thankful for something it is important to realize why we are thankful for it. Mario Bros. was released in 1983 for your local arcade (a place with many pay-to-play video games, popular before home video game consoles became widespread) and for the Famicom Entertainment System in Japan. I find its gameplay of flipping over the bad guys and kicking them into the water to be very therapeutic. Though repetitive, as games of this time often were due to the limited control options and hardware available, in a similar fashion to those games Mario Bros. got progressively more difficult as you completed its various levels. Should you let things get out of hand, it can get hectic, but all the while it remains a relaxing game to play. Should you get through the game's later, more hectic scenarios, a sense of accomplishment should rush over you as it does with me. Playing Mario Bros. fills the necessity for validation in my life, which is yet another reason I am thankful for it this Thanksgiving. It is also a deceptively complex and deep game. At first, it pits Mario or Luigi (Mario's brother, hence the title; this game also marked Luigi's first appearance in a video game) against Shellcreepers (which were later replaced with Spinies in the Game Boy Advance version (available as a bonus game in Super Mario Advance 1, 2, 3, 4, and Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga) as the developers were afraid players would mistake them for the iconic Koopa enemies and attempt to jump on them, a mechanic not yet introduced to video games at the time of Mario Bros' conception). Shellcreepers simply had to be bumped from below to be flipped over, then kicked off the stage. But as the game progresses, more complex enemies such as Coins (spinning discs that do no readily apparent harm, but actually serve as a distraction to allow enemies to escape the screen), Sidesteppers (crabs that must be bumped twice to be flipped over), Fighter Flies (bees that jump, making it difficult to bump them), Slipices (icy ghosts that can be immediately defeated by bumping them, but will indefinitely freeze platforms should they be allowed freedom), and Icicles (large triangles of glass that fall from the pipes or the top platforms and attempt to bonk Mario and/or Luigi on the head) are introduced. With each enemy introduction, you must forgo the strategy you were comfortable with and devise a new strategy that will work in this now more hectic environment. It sounds difficult and it does require a great deal of strategic genius, but it is that complexity and rewarding gameplay I am thankful for. Mario Bros. pioneered the modern difficulty curve that so many games rely on, yet not nearly enough games pay tribute to this masterpiece. But here I am today, paying my tribute to what is quite possibly Nintendo's greatest work. Nintendo, everyday I am thankful for this masterpiece of a game, and I would very much appreciate it if it was given more recognition by its parent company.

So what are you thankful for this Thanksgiving?

[us]
 Post subject: Re: What are you thankful for?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:32 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I'm thankful for good posts like this one

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:32 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I'm also thankful for my waifu, Kootie Pie Koopa (as seen in my profile picture)

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:49 pm 
Am a girl
[*]
[*]
I'm thankful my country doesn't celebrate thanksgiving so close to Christmas.
Oh and I'm thankful for electric tape, life saver that stuff is

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:12 pm 
-snip-

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:55 am 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Thankful for my boyfriend, roof over my head, my job, that my family is doing okay, my friends, my pets, etc. A lot too be thankful for.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:32 am 
Here we go.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I'm thankful for the food I eat and art's existence.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:41 am 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I'm thankful for a lot. I'm pretty healthy, I'm still really young, I'm skilled and employed, etc. There's a whole big long list.

I'm thankful for MFGG. It's got some pretty cool people, and it's been one of the most influential things in my entire life.

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:47 pm 
hi hello
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Im thankful for my great looks and for pumpkin pie

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:02 pm 
Silly guy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I'm thankful I'm not as mentally ill as I was. I'm thankful I can sleep at night. I'm thankful for my girlfriend. I'm thankful for hormone replacement therapy, my transition and all the friendly people I've met along this journey, and along the journey of life itself. I'm thankful for my brother, my job, arts existence (too). I'm thankful I lost 60 pounds and went off an antidepressant when I was suffering gender dysphoria and not depression and I'm thankful for the loving care of my psychiatrist and doctor. Also for grapedrink, always thankful for grapedrink.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:18 pm 
"I am one valuable card"
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Most sincerely, I'm probably thankful to everyone in this community, my family and friends, and others that I care about. Plus, I'm even thankful to some people that encouraged me to keep my head up high and reach towards the clouds above.

NNID: SonicZetrex
User: SonicZetrx

Old Drawing Banners

Spoiler:

Things I support/others

Spoiler:

My favorite theme:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:42 pm 
I hate yellow balls of consumption.
[S]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I really am thankful for a whole lot that I couldn't list them all. One thing that I am most definitely thankful for is you guys.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:03 pm 
I'm thankful for the very talented people here at MFGG and the amazing things they can create with their creativity, from games to art.

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 13 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic