Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 51 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 

Would you allow a game with Bowser kissing Wart to be submitted to the site?
Yes 78%  78%  [ 29 ]
*barf* 22%  22%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 37

[us]
 Post subject: Re: So are we allowed to put LGBT characters in our fangames
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:58 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
The visual novel is going to be as sfw as possible don't even worry.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:00 pm 
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

-deleted-

Last edited by Mr. Saltman on Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:01 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
I'd be fine if it had an NSFW labeling on.

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:03 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Pedigree wrote:
The visual novel is going to be as sfw as possible don't even worry.

Right know you're being as much of a downer as gamerguy was.

What does that even mean?

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:10 pm 
[*]
It depends on what kind of LGBT characters you want in your fangames. If it's presented in a very explicit context with nudity then I would say no. That goes against the submission rules of the site and I don't think you should be able to do that even with more "vanilla" sexuality.

On the other hand, stuff like Bowser kissing Wart is OK. It's freakin' weird but there's always an audience for this kinda stuff. I feel the Body Swap mode of Shovel Knight is a very tasteful example of how to pull off LGBT characters in a tame fashion. The game let you individually change the pronouns and body types of every character in the game so you could mix and match however you'd like. This would be too way too much work for a fangame, but the basic idea is there. Just present your game in a normal context which happens to have LGBT characters. It's the most natural way to do it without making it the focus of the game.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:54 pm 
[*]
VinnyVideo wrote:
MFGG does not discriminate on the basis of a member's age or nationality.

But Russia does!

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:01 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Pedigree wrote:
What does that even mean?

GameGuy was a user who would frequently make incoherent threads about why something is awful without ever coherently explaining why. I think comparing you to him is a massive exaggeration.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:52 am 
[*]
Rachel is bi
Psid wrote:
why would lgbt need a nsfw label? r u saying lgbt itself is something that should be deemed to be lewd or obscene?

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:16 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Sloshy wrote:
Rachel is bi
Psid wrote:
why would lgbt need a nsfw label? r u saying lgbt itself is something that should be deemed to be lewd or obscene?

Most of the LGBT content is usually related to adult stuff with lesbains and gays that is openly stated in the media and video games. And tends to come off being outright annoying when done poorly, or done in a way to get attention from the media.

Have we seen any LGBT stuff in general rated games? I don't think so, as far I believe. Most of it has been implied, but not actually stated. And I prefer this way as LGBT isn't right in your face saying "look at me! I'm a special snowflake!" which is quite annoying and is one of the LGBT's problems in media imo (This is actually what it lead me to hate LGBT, honestly).

Not even trolling, but this is just my honest opinion.

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:47 am 
Water under the bridge, my friends.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Psid wrote:
Most of the LGBT content is usually related to adult stuff with lesbains and gays that is openly stated in the media and video games. And tends to come off being outright annoying when done poorly, or done in a way to get attention from the media.

The same could be said about anything related to heterosexual romance that isn't "mom and dad". If that particular section of romance that we're talking about is deemed as "NSFW" because of the implied adult themes involved, why not just remove everything related to romance whatsoever, no matter what, in all G-rated media? No shipping, no chemistry beyond camaraderie, no implications, no "get the girl in the end". Bump all Disney Princesses media to PG-13 and then bump everything else up the same number of steps, and enforce the ratings with iron fist and no compromise down to not allowing children to watch TV beyond Nick Jr. or similar programming blocks. And yes, that of course means no Princess Peach kiss for Mario in your fangames as well, that's romantic ya see.

What's that you say? Is that going too far? Well then what makes it "not going too far" once you step outside the straight zone?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:25 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Psid wrote:
Have we seen any LGBT stuff in general rated games? I don't think so, as far I believe. Most of it has been implied, but not actually stated. And I prefer this way as LGBT isn't right in your face saying "look at me! I'm a special snowflake!" which is quite annoying and is one of the LGBT's problems in media imo (This is actually what it lead me to hate LGBT, honestly).

If you don't like that LGBT is in your face but are okay with constant displays of affection from straight couples, you might be a homophobic hypocrite.

This special snowflake ideology you have is really misguided and a relic at this point. Nobody is LGBT for the attention and the fact that you keep memeing that this is the case is pretty stupid in my opinion. How dare LGBT talk about their partners and/or lives! Why can't I ignore their very existence?

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:33 pm 
Am a girl
[*]
[*]
Psid wrote:
Sloshy wrote:
Rachel is bi
Psid wrote:

Hi trans person here. Theres still an overwhelming amount of people who think your way
the reason we're being portrayed in media more and more is because were trying to get people to learn we arent special snowflakes, that were just normale people like everyone else.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:18 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Psid wrote:

Literally tons if you bother to look into anything other than the most mainstream games sold in GameStop retail.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:43 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Psid, is your point that we can't put LGBT stuff in video games because when that stuff's in the media it's typically also NSFW? If so, that doesn't address the question. MFGGers could put LGBT things in their fangames, no problem. NSFW content is always disallowed, regardless of what or who it's about.

I don't think you're meaning to imply that it's impossible to have LGBT content in a game or media without it being NSFW. Good Luck Charlie did it, if nobody else did.

Also why do you care this much? Maybe it's just being argued back and forth and everybody's fanning the flames, idk. But like, you're completely mischaracterizing gay people. I know that the free exchange of ideas isn't the most popular thing in the world these days and that it should be more encouraged, but you should honestly expect not only blowback, but also for people to be extremely offended, when you're saying that scientists are all wrong and that LGBT people choose to live the way they do, and that it necessarily means deviant lifestyles just because of what gender you identify as or what gender you like, and that these lifestyles lead to death.

I think your point has been pretty thoroughly disproven (have you even shown any evidence that gay people in media are usually portrayed as NSFW, and that MFGG wouldn't handle it differently? just bad arguing, man).

It's probably for the best if you just stop riling people up with all this.

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:42 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
HylianDev wrote:
you're saying that scientists are all wrong and that LGBT people choose to live the way they do

Scientifically speaking, that is a heavily debated topic. There is compelling scientific evidence on both ends of the debate, and the scientific community has yet to conclusively determine the answer because every few months some scientist publishes "definitive proof" that sexuality is or is not fluid.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:01 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Willsaber wrote:
HylianDev wrote:
you're saying that scientists are all wrong and that LGBT people choose to live the way they do

Scientifically speaking, that is a heavily debated topic. There is compelling scientific evidence on both ends of the debate, and the scientific community has yet to conclusively determine the answer because every few months some scientist publishes "definitive proof" that sexuality is or is not fluid.

Fair point. But I still don't think that sexuality being fluid means they "choose" their orientation.

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:21 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Willsaber wrote:
HylianDev wrote:

Sources please.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:05 pm 
[*]
somebody who thinks its a choice should try to be gay for a few day to support this argument

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:32 pm 
Is that a jojoke?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
you should be able to put lgbt characters in your fangame i don't really see a problem
as long as its within the rules of games allowed on MFGG

my only rule is that you shouldn't go out of your way to tell the player that character is homosexual and unless your game is a dating sim or something, it shouldn't really be important the story anyway
it's just better to make a character that happens to be gay than a character whose main character trait is to be gay if you catch my drift. Build your character first before thinking of their sexuality. if you put the sexuality first it'll feel overly contrived and suck.
even though i suck at writing characters i think this should be true

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:00 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I don't mind subtlety but stating that being homosexual only matters to the story in a dating sim goes a bit too far. There's struggles that go with being LGBT that can be explored if done right and for the record LGBT tends to be a bigger deal than who you happen to be dating, it's a huge part of who you are. Sure, it's not the only part, but it's an important part.

To do it right is a huge challenge, you gotta find a balance between making a character that would otherwise be straight with a label slapped on for the sake of it and making a character that is nothing but stereotypes.

For some reason I find it more likely in a fangame on MFGG that two male goombas making out get stomped by Mario than finding a genuine scene that does LGBT characters justice but feel free to prove me wrong.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 51 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic