Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 51 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 

Would you allow a game with Bowser kissing Wart to be submitted to the site?
Yes 78%  78%  [ 29 ]
*barf* 22%  22%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 37

[zw]
 Post subject: Re: So are we allowed to put LGBT characters in our fangames
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:10 pm 
[*]
[*]
Spoiler:

there's more than enough examples of canonized straight relationships in mario, i don't see why lgbt relationships would be so weird or different
i'm p. sure there's even a trans character that flirts with mario in paper mario 2

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:17 pm 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
That would be Vivian, but Nintendo of America dropped that trait in the localization.

Pedigree wrote:
I don't mind subtlety but stating that being homosexual only matters to the story in a dating sim goes a bit too far. There's struggles that go with being LGBT that can be explored if done right and for the record LGBT tends to be a bigger deal than who you happen to be dating, it's a huge part of who you are. Sure, it's not the only part, but it's an important part.

To do it right is a huge challenge, you gotta find a balance between making a character that would otherwise be straight with a label slapped on for the sake of it and making a character that is nothing but stereotypes.

For some reason I find it more likely in a fangame on MFGG that two male goombas making out get stomped by Mario than finding a genuine scene that does LGBT characters justice but feel free to prove me wrong.

Besides hiding your preferences from your parents and peers and overall looking for acceptance, how would you create an LGBT character that goes beyond the stereotypes? I'm very interested to hear your thoughts, so that I can reflect upon them.

Last edited by E-Man on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:23 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I'm not a writer.

Examples exist already but I don't have any on hand.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:23 pm 
Is that a jojoke?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
the reason i said dating sim is because sexuality really isnt that important in something like a platformer and something that doesn't need to be touched on at all

mario platformers have such a simple story so there's not that much leeway for developed characters and exploring sexuality

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:01 pm 
He has no file, He has no name!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Technoflops wrote:
the reason i said dating sim is because sexuality really isnt that important in something like a platformer and something that doesn't need to be touched on at all

mario platformers have such a simple story so there's not that much leeway for developed characters and exploring sexuality

Peach kisses Mario yet no one cries "forced heterosexuality!" It doesnt have to be anything big, literally "character has crush on character w/ same gender" is enough.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:24 pm 
Is that a jojoke?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
isnt that forcing sexuality too

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:25 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
MoneyMan wrote:
Technoflops wrote:

Peach kisses Mario yet no one cries "forced heterosexuality!" It doesnt have to be anything big, literally "character has crush on character w/ same gender" is enough.

EXACTLY!

You can also be even subtler than that if you're good.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:49 pm 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I think there's a pretty good example in Arkham Knight where you can overhear the occupying militia talking about how difficult it is lying to their significant others about what they do. The only way you find out one of them is gay is by listening to the pronoun they use. But that's all that needs to be done, they don't have any stereotypical traits, he just says, "It's hard lying to my other, he thinks I'm on some business trip."

It's just one of several random conversations you can overhear, if you ever do overhear it. But it's kinda cool.

Falcon Punch is the result of the Sun heating fists. It drives the Blue Falcon. Heating causes destruction of water into the pain, where it then hurts, creating rain. Rain creates flowing water in tears, which can then be converted into other forms through more pain.

scaled image
Mario's Sticker Stage - Finished adding Jump Stickers!, 26%

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:47 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I'mma just toss this in General Chat since this is more of a discussion than a suggestion now. Final answer to the topic title: we won't ever decline any submissions or throw out any dev showcase posts just for featuring LGBT characters.

Zero Kirby wrote:
I think there's a pretty good example in Arkham Knight where you can overhear the occupying militia talking about how difficult it is lying to their significant others about what they do. The only way you find out one of them is gay is by listening to the pronoun they use. But that's all that needs to be done, they don't have any stereotypical traits, he just says, "It's hard lying to my other, he thinks I'm on some business trip."
Wow, that is pretty sweet.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:09 pm 
SMRPG Fanatic
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]

Something like this has been done for comic relief.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:02 pm 
This is official artwork
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]