Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  [ 109 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: MFGG's take on the illegality of fangames
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:05 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
OrangeNova wrote:
There's some confusion in this thread, notably at Black Boo's post.

Black Boo was referring to the matter in practical terms, not technical terms.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:23 pm 
Wait, did I post something?
Willsaber wrote:
OrangeNova wrote:
There's some confusion in this thread, notably at Black Boo's post.

Black Boo was referring to the matter in practical terms, not technical terms.

Mine was also being practical.

[zz]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:50 pm 
[*]
Kritter wrote:
P-Star7 wrote:
@Kritter: Not only is it rewriting the law when there is no emergency reason to do so (Isn't human society about controlling yourself unless you have a good reason not to (i.e. you shot someone but it was to defend yourself?), but it rewards the company for its bad practices. It's like making a bouquet of flowers you grew for your abusive mother. It may just be me, but doesn't it sting just a tiny bit at least on both accounts?

Almost nobody making fangames cares one iota about that. They make games "because it's fun" making games. They make a game and it gets pinged for copyright, such is life, that's the rules. I don't know what you're looking for but it seems like the easier option would be to just delete all your Nintendo fan stuff, disconnect from the internet and go be merry in solitude with the knowledge that at least you're doing the right thing because going around in circles is getting tedious.

But then how can I say I care about the site and the users if I just abandon it? I can't just say that this is okay for everyone else but just not for me, because it's not really that way.

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:52 am 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
P-Star7 wrote:
But then how can I say I care about the site and the users if I just abandon it? I can't just say that this is okay for everyone else but just not for me, because it's not really that way.

Then you may have to make a difficult decision, because there is absolutely no chance this community will either acquire legal permission for fangaming, or stop fangaming alltogether.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:56 am 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
An interesting interview with Reggie Fils-Aime

Quote:
Q: So, one of the non-Switch titles that was here at E3 was Metroid: Samus Returns, a new remake of Metroid 2 coming to the 3DS. One of the responses I've seen to this is: Wow, this is exciting, but lots of people just played a fan-remake of Metroid 2 last year called AM2R.

So, look, I want to be an adult about this stuff. I've worked in the IP industry before, I understand why Nintendo has to be aggressive in defending its copyrights, I understand why it has to be aggressive in defending its trademarks. But, some people see an opportunity here to work with the fan community and to figure that out.

You're Nintendo, you're one of the biggest games companies in the world, you have been the face of video games for a long time. We live in an age where people are increasingly blurring the line between fandom and actual creation—finding ways to work directly with fans. So my question is theirs, which is, why wasn't there a chance there—or even, has there been a chance—to speak to that, to try to work with a fan creator like AM2R's Milton Guasti or other fan creators?

A: So, I think there needs to be clarity in what the line is, and, in our view, the line is when an initiative crosses from being an homage to something that is monetizing our IP. We allow homages to exist in a variety of different ways. And, for me personally, as a fan before I was an executive, I understand the attraction that you could have to our IP. But, when it transitions to something that... now, you're trying to monetize, you're trying to sell, you're trying to profit off of, that is what broaches or breaks through that line for us, where we have to claim our IP protection.

Q: How are you talking about monetization here, because with AM2R, that was a game that anyone could download for free, and again I think, for fans, there was this notion of, "go talk to that person," or "go talk to other fan creators" and see if there's a way to not kill that project, to investigate the ideas that happening there that are exciting, who knows.

A: But again, to differentiate this, we have had conversations with entities that started as fans and became more of a business partner. Those conversations happen all the time, but again, when something transitions to a commercial product, and that's what [AM2R] was—there wasn't a charge, but it was now a commercial product.

Q: I guess I need... what's the definition of "commercial product" for Nintendo?

A: Well, again, it's all about... How do we protect our intellectual property? How do our creators, like Mr. Sakamoto, who created Metroid, and Nintendo control that intellectual property so that we can drive where it's going, versus someone else driving where it's going.

That's where the line is very clear for us. And again, we could go on to YouTube and a variety of different places and see fans doing interesting things with our IP. But when it turns to driving the direction of the IP, or somehow monetizing or becoming a commercial project, that's where for us, the line has been crossed.

Homage/tributes and parodies are fine as long as you're not monetizing the content and not making something that could influence the direction of their franchises. In AM2R's case, I guess it created an unwanted demand for such a product or was a risk of stealing the spotling from Metroid: Samus Returns?

User page at mfgg.net

[kp]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:00 am 
I'm number 1!
[*]
[*]
It honestly sounds like Reggie Feels Anime didn't really know what AM2R was and assumed Nintendo only takes down games that monetize LOL

I guess what he's trying to say though that Nintendo will consider a fangame a "commercial product" if it gets too popular. Which is totally understandable for AM2R, which IMO is the best Metroid game period, and I guess the other games that I've heard Nintendo take down. There was some pokemon ones right?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:59 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Sounds like corporate oppression to me. AM2R is a much much much better game than Samus Returns is clearly going to be, but this superior product, which costs less to play, is being forced into submission? That is not what a free market is.

User page at mfgg.net

[tt]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:30 pm 
:D
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
...there's nothing "market" about it, instead of an inoffensive fangame that does squat to Nintendo, that could have hurt them, what with developing the same (official) game, which interfered with their series.
Now taking off something like Psycho Waluigi would be more irritating.

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:58 am 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Willsaber wrote:
Sounds like corporate oppression to me. AM2R is a much much much better game than Samus Returns is clearly going to be, but this superior product, which costs less to play, is being forced into submission? That is not what a free market is.

Well a free market without copyright law is an extremely free market. I kind of like copyright because it allows the creators to say what is and isn't canon without confusion. It definitely goes too far sometimes but honestly that's not the reason I want AM2R to be non-contraband.

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  [ 109 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic