[ 16 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [us]
 Post subject: Lashing out to Make a Point
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:39 pm 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
This isn't supposed to call out anyone personally, but it is a problem I've seen in online interactions over the years. Recently, I saw a comment on one of GameXplain's Pikmin videos that didn't sit well for me. While the initial comment that provoked the reply wasn't really that offensive by comparison, this reply in particular was scathingly overreactive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY5MDm4 ... 4242445758

Regardless of the point the commentator is trying to make, I'm wondering why people like him resort to harsh language and insults at the drop of a hat. While I'm not saying that swearing is morally wrong (especially if it's just for fun among close friends), it's a bit dodgy to even stoop to that level when dealing with unsavory people. Personally, I would try to keep my cool as long as humanly possible since, in my own experience, lashing out just caused me more trouble. In spite of this, I've seen other people online openly insult the intelligence of people they disagree with and even go so far as to call them a Nazi (or sometimes "worse than Hitler"). Sure, some of these instances "earned" a slap on the wrist at the very least, but there are multiple times where nothing is really done regardless of whether or not it was brought to the attention of the site staff on these web sites.

With all that in consideration, does it make you smarter/more mature to treat someone you don't like as an ignorant child at the very least? I want to say "no," but multiple people online still follow this mentality anyway and even encourage it through one means or another. While I understand why anyone would punch an overly happy person, I just want to see why it's alright to even lash out at people who raise points in a relatively neutral manner. Also, even if the initial comment was relatively nasty, how come the "bigger man principle" is enforced like a game of Russian Roulette?

User page at mfgg.net

[tt]
 Post subject: Re: Lashing out to Make a Point
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:59 am 
:D
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Online provides the perfect setting for letting loose. You don't know anyone. No one knows you. You can have it out on anyone that pisses you off. Though it might be too easy...

Those facts, though, may be a little moot since the rise of Facebook and such. I learned in class once that there's your online self and offline self,and how they're the same. With me, it's way not.
You don't know who I actually am, but on Facebook you would. (but I don't use that.)

That said, I'm not a onfrontational person. Though for some time, I've had this simmering desire to, if the right situation called for it, to really lash out at some detestable person, there's a few model types that would qualify.

The worst I ever did on MFGG was let loose on a guy who was playing Pokemon DP online and cheated Wonder Guard on a Spiritomb. which, if you don't know, means no offensive moves will hurt it at all. There's a way or two to get around that if you have a certain move, but that doesn't change the fact that he's freaking cheating, and he just responded with "learn2play".
That's the sort of thing that gives me full reason to talk about how much they suck.

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:38 am 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
Well, it's understandable to fall into that trap if the intentions are good (or "good" in a similar sense of hanging a felon). The thing is that I follow the Golden Rule and I'm expected to be the bigger man in situations. Not that I really mind since it's typically rewarding through one way or another. Still, even though I frequently gain the desire to tear into someone outright nasty, what holds me back is how I can't normally act like that and get away with it. Spouting so much as a smart remark gets me rebuked at the very least and there are instances when people accuse me of acting unsavory when I wasn't even trying. On top of that, even if I want to knock someone down a peg and won't get off scot-free, the biggest factor that decides whether or not I take the dive is the impact. If I just take on spiteful members and my words will fall on deaf ears, it's comparable to an enraged hornet splattering headfirst against the windshield of a speeding car. Unless I have no other choice, I never try taking on anyone without so much as a plan first.

Anyway, I'm perfectly fine remaining the "boy scout" and keeping my nose clean; however, it's irritating that even the most respected of online people throw the Golden Rule out the window and the site staff on those respective web sites treat the incidents like they never happened. It's made worse when they are eagerly punishing certain members they don't particularly care for over slight misunderstandings. If their site rules have a biased sway over the communities in question, why bother enforcing them at all?

User page at mfgg.net

[kp]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:28 pm 
I'm number 1!
[*]
[*]
Everyone reacts differently to things and I think it's pretty dangerous to make categorical judgements based on people's behavior when they're upset. I think it's important to be understanding of not only others when they're upset but yourself and be sure not to burn bridges unnecessarily

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:30 pm 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
You do have a point. On this other web site I know of, they hated this one guy because they easily dismissed his opinions instead of actually chewing them over. Sure, the guy overreacts and he goes off tangents, but he is smarter than they give him credit for. Over time, he eventually loses it through all the constant harassment and ends up banned from the site. To make matters worse, he allegedly made death threats, so the site staff called the police on him. I have a major problem with the whole situation because the site acted so biased against his favor and brutally punished him over the outburst they unwittingly caused. On top of that, there's also the matter that those death threats are just all in their head and only claimed he spouted them to make him look worse. Besides, whether or not they're true doesn't actually excuse them from calling the police over a matter like that. I mean, unless it's obviously clear that they're a threat to your life, at least 90% of all death threats online are hollow and calling the authorities for every instance is only wasting time that's better spent preventing actual crimes.

User page at mfgg.net

[kp]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:32 pm 
I'm number 1!
[*]
[*]
It sounds like he was treated unfairly, but once it gets to death threats, death threats should be taken seriously I think, there's very few distinct lines you shouldn't cross online but that's very clearly one of them.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:41 pm 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
I think death threats fall into more of a grey area, really. It's only human nature to act aggressive when pushed to a point, so it's easy for anyone to claim that they'll slit their throats. Outside of threats that could realistically get carried out, the only time I would call the police over a death threat is if the person in question is persistent enough. Otherwise, it's not worth doing worse than persuading the staff to take site action if the threats are few and far between.

While I understand what you mean, keep in mind that the members of this site are probably not completely honest with these death threat accusations and it's the same site that may as well make "don't care what other people think of you" it's personal motto.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:43 pm 
Lawful Evil
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
As a former member of the Advance Wars community, I have seen someone murdered over a forum scuffle.

User page at mfgg.net

[kp]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:47 pm 
I'm number 1!
[*]
[*]
even if (thankfully) most death threats amount to nothing, it's important you do what you can to prevent it from turning into one of the rare cases where it does.

I don't think death threats are a reasonable response, people need to find healthier ways to vent out their anger than threatening people.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:52 pm 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
While I see you point, the members of this site I was talking about could have prevented the alleged death threats just by holding off on the berating and actually understanding him better. If that doesn't work in spite of giving an honest try, then I'd see that calling the police is necessary.

I know I might sound tough on these guys, but the thing is that the community in question caused several actions that you couldn't help but look at funny.

User page at mfgg.net

[kp]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:45 pm 
I'm number 1!
[*]
[*]
I'd like to think it could have been de-escalated before it got to that point, I don't think you can expect too much peaceful resolution when it comes down to violent threats

User page at mfgg.net

[zw]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:46 pm 
[*]
[*]
i think we're all fearful of someday being Owned online

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:57 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Some people are just assholes. I wish I knew why it happens or how to fix it, but it's different for everyone.

There's someone I work with and he'll go on tangents if you give him a yes or no question. Among other things. Short version is "You're an idiot for saying that." Long version is like one of those youtube comments. Most of the time I don't even get an answer. But I know it's because he has health problems and joint pains. What I usually do is just say "okay", roll my eyes and try to avoid speaking to him again. Unfortunately, the most effective situations are when I finally snap back at him. It shouldn't have to come to that.

Here's a lighter story. Once in high school I was walking to my bus at the end of the day. I heard someone behind me yell "Hey Al-" I thought they were going to say my name so I spun around. They actually said "Hey Alecia!" It was some kid that was 2 feet shorter than I was, but maybe a year younger.
"What the f*** are you doing man, your name's not Alecia is it?!" He was literally jumping like a small dog trying to get in my face. I said "Sorry, my mistake" and turned around again. "Yeah! You better run, don't you dare try talking to me again!" I have no clue what his deal was. Maybe he was trying to act tough because he's so short?

It's people like these who write comments like that. Projecting their real-life issues onto faceless internet people.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:06 am 
Wafer-thin Animator
[*]
[*]
[*]
You know, Jeff, I guess it does make sense. The members on this website I'm mentioning have a few problems with them (I would be specific, but I rather not open a can of worms here). While I understand to an extent as to why they're hostile, a big thing to remember is that they actually have a lot in their lives. Considering that they are talented enough to apply for any industry job and how they're part of one of the most influential websites in all of video game fandom, they truly have no reason to mistreat others they don't like.

Super Mario WTL wrote:
I'd like to think it could have been de-escalated before it got to that point, I don't think you can expect too much peaceful resolution when it comes down to violent threats

How easily would anyone keep their cool if they are called "literally worse than Hitler" (especially is it's pretty much unjustified)? I even reported a comment like this to the site staff in quesiton, but to no avail. While I'm not exactly saying that all death threats should go unpunished, the very least is that the people who provoked such threats (provided that they actually happened) shouldn't go off scot-free.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:47 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Jeff wrote:
"Hey Al-" I thought they were going to say my name

but your name is jeff

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:48 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Willsaber wrote:
Jeff wrote:
"Hey Al-" I thought they were going to say my name

but your name is jeff

Jeff is just a screen name. And I should start using a more creative one.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 16 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic