[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
"Which port would you be most likely to use to connect a modern printer to your desktop computer?"

Trick question. Modern bluetooths are connected via wi-fi or bluetooth. You almost never see them wired into something.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Digital Literacy
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:59 am 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

TheShyGuy, Jeff: The first half of IT and programming is knowing the basics. The other half is knowing how to Google the stuff you don't know! I considered including a question about search engines, although modern search engines are usually pretty smart about finding what you want, so Boolean operators aren't as important as they used to be.

Mors: When tests are involved, sometimes you gotta go fast slow. Perhaps someday I'll make a Digital Literacy 2.0 test that's more likely to stretch the thinking of a technically-minded audience.

Kritter: Viruses and other malicious software are not the only way data can be destroyed or lost. If someone steals your laptop, the odds of the device being recovered safely are fairly low, and if Joe dropped his laptop, the shock damage could permanently destroy data on every partition on every drive - especially if they're traditional mechanical drives rather than SSDs.

Onpon: I won't deny that this quiz is Windows-centric. However, about 90% of the computers accessing the Internet run some version of Windows, and the vast majority of businesses and organizations use Microsoft Office, so I would say that understanding Microsoft applications is a key piece of being digitally literate in 2017. Most of these concepts still apply even if you use an open-source alternative - for example, in the question about PowerPoint, being able to produce slides that are readable and accessible is a very important basic skill, regardless of whether you're using PowerPoint, LibreOffice, or another tool. Presentations are an essential part of life in a typical workplace or classroom. Similarly, other major spreadsheet applications share many similarities with Excel's interface and terminology.

Most of these questions relate closely to foundational concepts like managing files, recognizing a handful of standard file formats, knowing some of the basic parts of a computer, and practicing elementary information security. If you think these sound like trivia questions, you should see some of the other "digital literacy" quizzes out there - they tend to have lots of questions about exactly where on the taskbar you need to go to do things in Microsoft Office 2003.

The best answer for the password question is strong, but still something that could easily be memorized. For a typical user, making a password so complex that you have to write it down - and carry it with you everywhere you go - may make you less secure, not more secure. Obviously, the "password" and "12345678" options could be cracked almost instantly - in fact, because they're so common and so weak, a drive-by hacker could probably guess them without even triggering a captcha or other limit on the number of unsuccessful password attempts. Likewise, the password that combines the person's name and (presumably) the year she was born is a very weak password that could easily be guessed or broken using a brute-force method. Using an ultra-secure password or a password manager may be a good idea if you're a technically-sophisticated user who's very concerned about security, but it's beyond the scope of this discussion.

A recent copyright date indicates that the information on a Web page is up-to-date, and up-to-date information is typically more reliable than information that was published years ago. At the very least, you want Web sites to display when they were last updated. It's hard to evaluate information if you don't know when it was published.

Digital literacy and computer literacy are not the same thing, but the distinction is hazy. Computer literacy focuses on doing things with computers, while digital literacy tends to include a greater focus on processing and evaluating information - which is why I included that last question.

Willsaber: There's nothing tricky about this question - it's impossible to use an HDMI port or an Ethernet port* to connect a printer to a computer, and serial ports stopped being relevant many moons ago. So if you're going to use a wired connection, it has to be USB. That said, you're correct that most modern printers use Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, and some don't even require a USB connection during the installation process. I suppose I could replace "printers" with a mouse or keyboard, although some people still prefer the PS/2 standard for those.

12/29 Edit: Just a tiny clarification - changed "presentation" to "question" in one spot

12/31 Edit: (* I should note that some printers can be connected to a computer using Ethernet, but the majority of printers, especially those used at home, will use USB.)

Last edited by VinnyVideo on Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Just a tiny clarification - changed "presentation" to "question" in one spot

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:03 am 
[*]
I got all but two questions right. The one about Outlook (I used Outlook like once in school) and the one about evaluating sources. I think I initially got the right answer on the latter, but I second-guessed myself. Credentials are how you evaluate good sources, but people can fake those. And with public-ran databases like wikis, all you have to go off of are good cited sources since most contributors are anonymous.

Edit:

Dangit, I just did a quick completion to check if I was right, and I forgot all completions were recorded. You can ignore that newest one.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:16 pm 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
VinnyVideo wrote:
I won't deny that this quiz is Windows-centric.

That wasn't what I meant. I meant the fact that you were referencing Microsoft Office, or even office programs at all, and really arbitrary things like the name of the "Save As" menu option name. I don't even use spreadsheet programs very much, or any office program for that matter. My work is almost entirely in text editors. The only reason I even know about Excel's "SUM" function was because of some filler "business" class I took in high school.

The "Save As" option, by the way, depends on what language you're using. I set my system language to Japanese yesterday, so my "Save As" button doesn't say "Save As", but 「名前を付けて保存」. I don't think it's accurate to say that someone is "computer illiterate" because their native language is German and they never have their system language set to English, for example.

Quote:
However, about 90% of the computers accessing the Internet run some version of Windows, and the vast majority of businesses and organizations use Microsoft Office, so I would say that understanding Microsoft applications is a key piece of being digitally literate in 2017.

Why would I need to understand a program I never use to be "computer literate"? If I can get the jobs I need to done, and I can do so efficiently, it shouldn't matter what programs I'm familiar with.

I generally reject the concept of "computer literacy". Using a computer isn't something you have to learn how to do. Rather, it's something that, if you're doing it right, constantly involves the process of learning. Being able to learn things quickly is how you use computers efficiently. It has nothing to do with knowledge.

Quote:
being able to produce slides that are readable and accessible is a very important basic skill

Yeah, if you spend your time making presentations to show to people. I don't do that. This is an important skill for a teacher or professor, not for a software engineer or astronaut or newspaper editor.

Quote:
managing files

I don't recall seeing a question about that. But how files should be organized is subjective. You should organize files in a way that makes it easy for you to find them again later.

Quote:
recognizing a handful of standard file formats

Possibly useful, but it depends on what programs you use and what jobs you do. Any decent operating system will tell you what kind of file something is, and it takes seconds to look up a format you're unfamiliar with on the Internet. Besides, extensions are arbitrary. They don't actually do anything; they're just hints that make it easier for programs to tell if they can open them, and what to do with them. With the exception of a few formats where this is not possible, any decent program will actually determine how to use a file by its contents, not by what extension its file name has.

Quote:
knowing some of the basic parts of a computer

Very useful if you work with computer hardware. I'll grant that. It's good to know what RAM, a hard drive, and SSD, the CPU, the GPU, etc do, and how to tell what components are better. But you only had one question about this, for RAM.

Quote:
and practicing elementary information security.

Also very useful. But this isn't so much "computer literacy" as security awareness. You can competently use a computer regardless of how strong your passwords are.

Quote:
If you think these sound like trivia questions, you should see some of the other "digital literacy" quizzes out there - they tend to have lots of questions about exactly where on the taskbar you need to go to do things in Microsoft Office 2003.

That's even worse, but a worse example does not make something good. Yeah, where Windows puts an icon on the taskbar by default is pointless trivia too.

Quote:
The best answer for the password question is strong, but still something that could easily be memorized.

No, it isn't. Those passwords are weak. Here's a post from Bruce Schneier, a well-known security expert, on the topic:

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/ ... ure_1.html

Quote:
For a typical user, making a password so complex that you have to write it down - and carry it with you everywhere you go - may make you less secure, not more secure.

And that's why you don't write it down. You put it in a password manager, like KeePass, where your passwords are encrypted and accessed by one master password that you memorized. That password is a strong password, like the Schneier method or just a really long phrase or even a short story. This is what I do; my KeePass database is locked by a password consisting of roughly 100 characters, a short story I made up and memorized. So I only have to memorize two passwords: the one to my KeePass database, which is very strong, and my login password (which I should actually replace with a stronger one; it's only three words).

Quote:
Using an ultra-secure password or a password manager may be a good idea if you're a technically-sophisticated user who's very concerned about security, but it's beyond the scope of this discussion.

And that's the point, really, isn't it? In some cases, maybe security isn't really important. Maybe, for example, you don't do any online banking, online payments, and other stuff like that. Maybe the worst a cracker could do is erase a bunch of old files that you have backed up anyway, and give you a minor nuisance having to reinstall the OS. Or maybe you're working for a top-secret government agency whose computers are filled with highly guarded secrets. In one case, you don't need to be very security aware, in another, you absolutely must be. It depends on who you are.

Quote:
A recent copyright date indicates that the information on a Web page is up-to-date, and up-to-date information is typically more reliable than information that was published years ago.

I contest that, but it's not even necessarily true that a recent copyright date shows something to be recent. A website that has been running for 20 years could have "Copyright (C) Doe, Inc 1997-2017" in the underbar, and you could be looking at an article that was written in 2000. These copyright footers aren't there to give readers information, they're a statement that essentially means "you do not have the right to copy this until {year + 95+}".

Quote:
it's impossible to use... an Ethernet port to connect a printer to a computer

This is wrong. Lots of printers connect via an Ethernet port. It's the same way most printers today connect to your wireless router.

[tr]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:15 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
"Instead of enjoying a silly quiz like everyone else I'll just point out every single small mistake in this thread because I hate having fun!"

[zz]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:30 pm 
Marle's my waifu
[*]
[*]
[*]
onpon4 wrote:
Walls of text so big Donald Trump would be proud

lol calm down man. No need to take an internet quiz so seriously.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:52 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
onpon4 wrote:
The "Save As" option, by the way, depends on what language you're using. I set my system language to Japanese yesterday, so my "Save As" button doesn't say "Save As", but 「名前を付けて保存」. I don't think it's accurate to say that someone is "computer illiterate" because their native language is German and they never have their system language set to English, for example.
I have my system language set to German and it says "Speichern Unter" which roughly translates to "Save As". Good thing Germanic languages are so related - else I would totally have failed Vinny's super serious little quiz and been forever branded as so digitally illiterate I could've never found a job that has to do with computers.

onpon4 wrote:
No, it isn't. Those passwords are weak. Here's a post from Bruce Schneier, a well-known security expert, on the topic:

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/ ... ure_1.html
I'm certain a password like the correct answer to Vinny's question is so weak every average Joe would end up hacked within minutes. Seriously, there definitely are situations where you should get such a complex password you can't even remember it, but if you're not working for the FBI chances are something with upper case and lower case letters and numbers will suffice.

TL;DR: This is a silly little internet quiz. You don't have to suck the fun out of it.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:01 pm 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Quote:
"Instead of enjoying a silly quiz like everyone else I'll just point out every single small mistake in this thread because I hate having fun!"

Quote:
lol calm down man. No need to take an internet quiz so seriously.

Quote:
TL;DR: This is a silly little internet quiz. You don't have to suck the fun out of it.

Oh, the irony. So much salt over a "silly Internet quiz". No, I'm not deconstructing the poll because "I hate having fun". Quite the opposite. I just enjoy deconstructing things. Considering it's just a "silly quiz" and not something serious like your political or your religious beliefs, I'm flabbergasted that you would take so much offense to this.

TL;DR: LOL calm down guys. No need to take a deconstruction of an Internet quiz so seriously.

[ca]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:38 pm 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Its not so much salt as much as it is the collective opinion that you're nuts.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:57 pm 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
If I'm nuts for having fun, then so is everyone else. Of course, that logically means that being nuts is normal, so by definition we (and, by extension, I) must not be nuts.

[ca]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:59 pm 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
onpon4 wrote:
If I'm nuts for having fun, then so is everyone else. Of course, that logically means that being nuts is normal, so by definition we (and, by extension, I) must not be nuts.

This is what a crazy person would say.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:05 am 
Lawful Evil
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
If you were nuts, you could heal two characters at once. Can you heal two characters at once?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:42 am 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Hm...

この文はたくさんの字があるね!その数は何?あたしにも知らない。でも、ぜったいに二字以上だ。

There, I hole more than two characters at once. (^_^)

[au]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:41 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
onpon4 wrote:
Quite the opposite. I just enjoy deconstructing things.

I think you enjoy the reactions you get for deconstructing things more than the act itself.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:40 am 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
No, really, I like the exercise of picking things apart. By God, trolling by being serious? That would be bold.

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:57 am 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I think everybody is a little bit nuts. You want to hit the sweet spot of a healthy level of nuttiness.

If you spend enough time looking for exceptions and edge cases, you'll find them. When computers are involved, very few concepts apply 100% of the time.

About strong passwords: With a supercomputer, a good algorithm for launching brute-force attacks, and enough time, any password can be cracked. That's why it's important to use multi-factor authentication if an account is especially sensitive. If you just made a Gmail account, I would like to think that Google's servers would be able to detect if a bot is making millions of attempts to break into someone's account. I can't say that e-mail accounts aren't vulnerable to brute-force attacks, which is why I recommend using a strong password (and maybe a password manager). However, on a practical level, bad actors are more likely to gain unauthorized access in another way - stealing your phone or computer, or guessing the correct answers on those "forget my password" prompts. Seriously, those "forgot my password" prompts are usually TERRIBLE and are a major security hole, especially for banking accounts. Many of them consist solely of questions that could be answered using data from a social media account or on public records (your favorite pet and your favorite sports team are common examples).

About file formats: Having a basic understanding of commonly-used file formats is an important part of digital literacy. Even if an operating system tells you what kind of file something is - a document, an image, or whatnot - it's still important to understand the different kinds of documents and images that computers use. If you ever edit an image and you don't understand the difference between a PNG and a JPEG, the results may not be pretty! Seriously - I've seen people submit JPEG'd sprite sheets on the MFGG main site.

About Excel and PowerPoint: Not everyone will use every feature - or category of features - available on a computer. I can't say that everyone will use Excel or PowerPoint. However, if you ever attend college or grad school (or probably high school), you'll almost certainly be expected to use those (or similar applications) at some point. There's a reason that most IT and business programs (at least where I live) require a basic MS Office class. Even many non-IT programs require this class - even some physical therapy programs! Once you get to the "real world" after graduating, tabulating data and using visual aids properly is an important skill regardless of the platform you're using.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:36 am 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Quote:
If you spend enough time looking for exceptions and edge cases, you'll find them. When computers are involved, very few concepts apply 100% of the time.

Oh, I didn't spend a lot of time. All of that was stuff that I thought of as I was taking the quiz.

Quote:
About strong passwords: With a supercomputer, a good algorithm for launching brute-force attacks, and enough time, any password can be cracked.

That's not quite true. A good password will take centuries to crack even if hundreds of the worlds fastest, most well-suited computers use the best techniques and know exactly the method that the password was generated. In effect, good passwords are uncrackable. At least, by the time they can be cracked, you'll be a little too dead to care.

I don't believe in "multi-factor authentication" as a security measure all that much. It's a band-aid solution to weak passwords. It's not even conceptually that difficult to bypass the second factor, because it's always unencrypted. All you need to do is hijack something like the user's phone. People's computers get hijacked all the time; I'd hazard to guess that at least a couple of others in this forum, right now, are running Windows computers that are a part of some sort of illegal botnet, either sending spam messages, or worse, without your knowledge. The most vulnerable people are those who are overconfident.

Quote:
If you just made a Gmail account, I would like to think that Google's servers would be able to detect if a bot is making millions of attempts to break into someone's account.

That's not how good password cracking is done. You get access to something you can use to verify passwords, then you run your password cracker against that on your own computer. If a cracker gets the necessary information, there's nothing Google can do. The strength of those passwords is everyone's last line of defense.

Quote:
However, on a practical level, bad actors are more likely to gain unauthorized access in another way - stealing your phone or computer, or guessing the correct answers on those "forget my password" prompts.

True. Simple phishing is the easiest way to figure out someone's password. The solution is, don't fall for them. ;) Don't click on a link in an email and then fill out your information. This is also why it's important to never reuse a password protecting something you care about.

Quote:
Seriously, those "forgot my password" prompts are usually TERRIBLE and are a major security hole, especially for banking accounts. Many of them consist solely of questions that could be answered using data from a social media account or on public records (your favorite pet and your favorite sports team are common examples).

Yeah, you should treat these questions as additional passwords. Randomly generate them and store them in your password manager, like any other password. I never put actual answers in these fields.

Quote:
If you ever edit an image and you don't understand the difference between a PNG and a JPEG, the results may not be pretty!

Yep, anyone who does image editing ought to know the basic image file types: PNG, GIF, JPEG, BMP, SVG, and of course, the most important of all... XPM! OK, maybe not that last one.

But then again, if you're more into music, you need to know the basic audio file types: WAV, MP3, Ogg Vorbis, Opus, FLAC, and AAC.

The general thing that most people ought to understand isn't particular file extensions, but rather the difference between lossy compression and lossless compression, and of course what compression is in the first place. It's the same with compressed archives; you don't really need to memorize exactly what Zip, tar.gz, tar.bz2, tar.xz, and 7-zip files are, you just need to understand that these are (losslessly) compressed archives, and what an archive is.

RMS is apt to criticize technical people for a tendency to generalize everything. In the context of legal and ethical questions, he's right. But there's a good reason for that tendency: generalization, to the extreme, is how to be proficient at use of computers.

So if I were to assess something like "digital literacy" (which I would prefer to call proficiency in the use of computers), I would ask questions like these:

* What is a file? A segment of information stored somewhere.
* What is a directory? A location for files to be located.
* What is a filesystem? A method used by a storage medium to store and organize files.
* What is the difference between a journaling and non-journaling filesystem? Journaling filesystems record changes to a "journal" before actually making them. This prevents loss of data in the event of a crash or similar.
* What is binary? A number system with only two digits: 0 and 1. For example, 13 in binary is 1101.
* What is a bit? A single binary digit.
* What is a byte? Eight consecutive bits which are grouped together.
* What is the meaning behind the size of a byte? None. Bytes have been different sizes in the past and could easily be different sizes in the future. The current use of 8 bits is simply due to the ASCII standard of encoding text.
* In general, what is memory? Any medium where information is stored.[ispoiler]
* What is RAM, and what is its purpose? [ispoiler]Random Access Memory. Temporary memory which is used to store temporary data which needs to be accessed quickly.

* What is a ROM? Read-Only Memory. Any sort of memory which cannot be written to.
* What kind of memory is someone likely to be referring to if they just say "memory"? RAM (Random Access Memory).
* What is "paging" or "swapping", and why do you want to avoid it? When there is not enough RAM for a program to use, permanent storage is used to prevent the program from crashing. Permanent storage (such as hard drives) is always slower to access and write to than RAM, so use of this technique slows down the system dramatically.
* What is the benefit of increased permanent storage (e.g. hard drive) space? It allows you to store more files.
* What is the benefit of increased RAM? It allows more programs to run without causing paging/swapping to occur.
* What is a processor? The component which is responsible for executing instructions.
* What is a multi-core processor? A processor which can process multiple separate instructions at one time in parallel.
* What is the CPU? The central processor of a computer; the "brain" of the computer.
* What is a GPU? A specialized processor dedicated to controlling graphical output.
* What is the typical benefit of a multi-core CPU? It allows more programs to run without competing for CPU time.
* What is Hz (Hertz)? Cycles per second.
* When looking at the specifications for two processors, what specification will tell you which one is faster? None. Too many factors go into how fast and efficient a processor is for a simple comparison to be made.
* What is an architecture? A type of processor which can execute instructions intended for other processors of the same type.
* What is word size (8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit, etc)? The number of bits a processor natively uses when working on numbers. This is also typically the size of most registers, and in some cases it is the size of memory addresses.
* What are the processor registers used for? They store small units of information, such as single numbers, so that the processor can act on them efficiently at a low level. Typically, these are simple math operations.
* What is the advantage of having a 64-bit CPU instead of a 32-bit CPU? It allows the processor to handle numbers as large as 2^64 efficiently, which means the processing of numbers this large will be faster than on a 32-bit CPU.
* How much RAM can a CPU with 32-bit memory addresses access, and why? 2^32 bytes because 2^32 is the number of possible numbers that can be contained in 32 bits.
* Is the memory address size always the same as the word size? No. The memory address size is often larger. For example, most 8-bit CPUs had 16-bit memory addresses, and PAE-enabled (i686) x86 CPUs have 36-bit memory addresses.
* What is a file archive? A file which is used to contain files within it. Some common examples include Zip files and tarballs.
* What is compression? A technique to reduce the size of a file by using algorithms.
* What is the difference between lossless and lossy compression? Lossy compression algorithms allow certain data to be lost in order to achieve a smaller size. Lossless compression never discards any data.
* Why is lossy compression useful? For some cases, such as photos and music, certain parts of the data is either imperceptible to humans or otherwise unnecessary.
* Why is lossy compression dangerous? Repeated lossy recompression of data leads to degrading quality over time.
* What is the benefit of re-saving a lossily compressed photo as a lossless image? None. The resulting losslessly compressed image will have the exact same data, just in a larger file size. It is only useful to save modified versions of the image in a lossless format.
* If you have a photo with a sign you cannot read, what tool can you use to enhance the photo enough to enable you to read it? None. That would be magic, and there is no such thing as magic.
* If someone covered up the lens of your camera while you tried to take a photo, what tool would you use to digitally remove the hand so that you can see behind it? None. That's impossible. You and your magic tricks again...
* What is malware? Any program which is designed to do something malicious.
* What is a virus? A type of malware which modifies programs on a computer to propagate itself when they are run.
* What is spyware? Malware which is designed to track a user's activity without said user's consent.
* What is a trojan horse? A type of malware which is disguised as a useful program, prompting the user to execute it.
* What is adware? Malware which is designed to show advertisements to the user.
* What is a worm? A type of malware which attempts to replicate itself onto other computers through networks.
* What is a rootkit? A type of malware designed to give an unauthorized parties access to a computer.
* What is ransomware? Malware which is designed to lock the user's access to their own files, typically by using encryption, until a ransom is paid to the perpetrator.
* Why is it unsafe to open suspicious email attachments? Because they may be malware disguised as something else, or they may contain malicious scripts.
* Why is it unsafe to navigate to certain websites? Because Web browsers typically execute JavaScript code requested by a Web page, which can be exploited.
* How can you best ensure the integrity of a program, developed by a trusted party, which you have downloaded? Check the file for a valid signature from the developer.
* What is a signature? A string of text which can only be generated by one person possessing a secret key, which verifies that a file has been unmodified.
* What is encryption? A method to encode information in such a way that only one person possessing a secret key can read it.
* Why is encryption important? It protects sensitive data from being accessed by unauthorized parties.
* What is a checksum or hash? A string of text which identifies another piece of data, such as a file, as being unchanged.
* What is the difference between a signature and a checksum or hash? Signatures can be generated only by certain people, while checksums can be generated by anyone.
* What is the primary purpose of a checksum or hash? To identify accidental data corruption.[ispoiler]
* What is an operating system? [ispoiler]The collection of software which provides an environment for all other software to run on.

* What is a terminal emulator? A program which gives the user access to a command-line interface in an otherwise graphical environment.
* What is a file extension, and what is its purpose? A short suffix to file names, preceded by a "." character, used to help programs determine its purpose.
* What is a network? A collection of computers which communicate with each other.
* What is the Internet? A loose connection of thousands of networks all over the world.
* What is the World Wide Web, and how does it relate to the Internet? A network of servers providing websites, accessed through the Internet.
* What is a server? A computer which is designed to provide a service of some kind through a network or the Internet.
* What is a client? A computer or program which is making use of a server.
* What is an IP address? A unique identifier for every computer connected to a network, and every computer or network connected to the Internet, so that computers can send information to each other.
* What is an ISP? A company or other entity which provides the service of connecting a computer or network to the Internet.

Ha, I started out listing just a few examples and ended up listing every question I could think of... xD

[tr]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:59 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
onpon4 wrote:
long post

[at]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:50 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
@onpon4: I'm sure there are communities where you can discuss this kinda stuff, but don't you think this isn't the topic for it given all these responses?
I mean, you aren't derailing this thread so you can keep going all you want, but I think most people here don't even read all these walls of texts of yours so you're probably wasting your time here.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:15 pm 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Oh, I'm quite fine with people who aren't interested not reading. Besides the fact that this isn't an important subject to me (just a fun, unimportant side issue), I consider it to be defeatist to self-censor based on the belief that no one will listen.

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 48 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic