[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Go check it out.

I may be doing a presentation on the topic of digital literacy/computer literacy in the near future. I made a quiz on this topic because I might need it for something. It's like a VinnyVideo quiz level, minus the obligatory Thwomps.

I wonder how many of y'all can get a perfect score. If you can show me your 100% score, I will give you an IOU for one (1) Tusk Buck... assuming those are implemented someday.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Digital Literacy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:57 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I have taken the quiz and got one hundred (100) % (percent) but forgot to screenshot

I'm sure you can check the results... you're computer literate, aren't you?

[au]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:00 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Joe is concerned about hardware failure or theft, and he wants to make sure that the important files on his laptop are backed up. Which of the following backup options would NOT be helpful for him? *

A cloud storage solution like Dropbox, Apple iCloud, or Microsoft OneDrive
Copying files to another location on the same computer
A DVD-R
A USB thumb drive

Assuming the answer is "Copying files to another location on the same computer", this would not apply if the other location was a separate hard drive. I have files backed up on alternate drives in the same computer.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:24 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

KA: Nice job! If you choose to include your name at the beginning of the survey, I'll be able to verify that you did indeed get a perfect score.

Kritter: Backing up your files to a second internal hard drive on the same computer will protect against file corruption, accidental deletion, or hard drive failure. However, Joe is concerned that his laptop will break or get stolen, which would result in him losing everything on every drive on his laptop if it's not backed up externally.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:26 pm 
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Crap, I got almost all of them wrong. It doesn't really help that all that digital stuff has other names in Spanish.

I actually had a computation test at school last week, and I did perfectly. This makes me feel like a complete idiot.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:02 pm 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I missed the one about the e-mails, but I don't really use e-mails that much anyway so I'm not surprised I missed that one.

Falcon Punch is the result of the Sun heating fists. It drives the Blue Falcon. Heating causes destruction of water into the pain, where it then hurts, creating rain. Rain creates flowing water in tears, which can then be converted into other forms through more pain.

scaled image
Mario's Sticker Stage - Finished adding Jump Stickers!, 26%

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:05 pm 
I'll see you all at 3:15!
[*]
[*]
[*]
Perfect score! I was kinda shaky on the email and the webpage ones, but I guess I remembered those computer classes I nearly flunked.

[tt]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:41 pm 
:D
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
**** I got every one right except the last one. I think I misunderstood the question.

Which of the following does the least to ensure that an article is accurate and credible? *
I thought that meant what's the minimum you should do. So I said to cite things.

Though that one about the powerpoint presentation, the other three wrong answers seemed like joke answers. Don't forget to have a lot of animated gifs.

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:32 am 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I feel like a lot of these questions get a little too wordy, especially the last one.

Still go 100% tho. Your tricks could not stop my conquest for digital perfection, Vinny!

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:56 am 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
100%
That wasn't too bad.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:54 am 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Thanks for trying this! As I expected, most of y'all did very well. It'll be interesting to see how some of my less technically-savvy friends and colleagues do!

Syx: I'll see if I can make these questions and answers a bit more concise without sacrificing detail and context.

Mr. Saltman: This test was designed with native English speakers in mind. If English isn't your first language, some of the technical terms could be more difficult to understand.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:33 am 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I got 100%! That was fun.

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:35 am 
C# Programmer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
100%
Googling is part of digital literacy. Right.

Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:02 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Parakarry wrote:
**** I got every one right except the last one. I think I misunderstood the question.

Which of the following does the least to ensure that an article is accurate and credible? *
I thought that meant what's the minimum you should do. So I said to cite things.

I did the exact same thing.

TheShyGuy wrote:
100%
Googling is part of digital literacy. Right.

My programming courses in college allowed us to use google and books during tests. They basically said we'll never be in a situation without additional resources.

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:30 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Parakarry wrote:

Same. The questions were so easy I was bored near the end so I started to read the questions really fast, which resulted with me misreading that one. RIP free tusk buck :(

It's your fault Vinny, gimme my tusk buck :angry:

[au]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:39 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Yeah I did the exact same thing too.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:34 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
In reality, this quiz didn't test your digital literacy but your attention span.
I'm on to you, Vibby.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:22 pm 
[*]
Kritter wrote:
Joe is concerned about hardware failure or theft, and he wants to make sure that the important files on his laptop are backed up. Which of the following backup options would NOT be helpful for him? *

A cloud storage solution like Dropbox, Apple iCloud, or Microsoft OneDrive
Copying files to another location on the same computer
A DVD-R
A USB thumb drive

Assuming the answer is "Copying files to another location on the same computer", this would not apply if the other location was a separate hard drive. I have files backed up on alternate drives in the same computer.

I'm pre-tty sure that if you get a ransomware virus, then it can infect the hard drive if you connect it while you computer is infected, and it goes double if you leave it plugged in all the time. I think the question was trying to get at that you should have a solution that isn't attached to your computer, though the last two are vulnerable to ransomware since they don't have rollback options like I presume the cloud storage sites do.

[au]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:16 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
The question didn't mention viruses.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:23 am 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
No offense, but this quiz is terrible at assessing "digital literacy". Most of this stuff is just random trivia, some of it is subjective, and some of it is specific to certain programs that not everyone uses. Not being a user of Microsoft Excel does not make someone "computer illiterate". Neither does being bad at designing a slideshow presentation.

I also contest the "correct" answers on some of these questions:

Quote:
Which port would you be most likely to use to connect a modern printer to your desktop computer? USB port

I'll grant that that's the port you would likely use if you connected to the printer with a cable, but most printers these days are capable of just connecting to the wireless network and being accessed that way.

Quote:
Katie is making a new e-mail account. She plans to use this new account for her small business and wants to minimize the risk of other people hacking into her account. Which of the following would be a strong password for her account? s0ybeanSoybe@nSandw!ch*1992

In fact, even this "correct" password is quite weak. This is an old approach to making passwords which is crackable now, especially because each word is only being given one common substitution. All that needs to be done is to try words with these common substitutions from a dictionary. It won't be instantaneous, but it's a lot faster than brute-force and can get the job done.

The only passwords that are actually strong are:

1. Randomly generated passwords. This is the preferred approach; a password database via something like KeePass helps with this.

2. Really long phrases. If you have enough words it's not composed of common phrases, then even someone who knows your exact method will effectively need to brute-force the password, but with a dictionary of thousands of words, not just 50 characters or so. Example: "You could like killing kittens, but if I were there, I would blacken your face before you could do so."

3. Long phrases with words substituted for a character or two. Example, based on the previous example: "uCdlkK,bfIwr3r,1WdblkurFb4Ucds."

Quote:
You just read an online article and you want to evaluate whether the information on it is accurate. Which of the following does the least to ensure that an article is accurate and credible? Lots of cool pictures

Putting aside that this is a question about skepticism, not "computer literacy", yeah, that does nothing to show credibility. But neither does the presence of a copyright date. All a recent copyright date shows is that the website is still being updated. I'd bet Infowars has a copyright date on its website.

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 48 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic