Post subject: Re: Digital Literacy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:18 am 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I mean you're correct onpon, and although I didn't really read through it your quiz seems to be pretty nice. But I do think you're taking this a lot more seriously than anyone else here cares to. In another community this would be seen as good behavior: you're offering valid criticisms, and this can even be seen as an important thing to criticize if it were a test being offered in a public school, for example. But Vinny probably didn't want to make an exhaustive or even 100% accurate test, and nobody here is too concerned with that.

It's like running up on some dudes playing basketball at a park and telling them about all the rules they aren't following. They don't really care. They're still playing basketball. Vinny's test might not be the most efficient, but it's a computer quiz that has some value in measuring computer literacy. It doesn't cover binary or graphics card brands, it doesn't cover monitor resolution or mouse latency, it doesn't cover specifications and how to buy a computer, and that's okay.

Neither does yours.

How can you hope to call somebody computer-literate if they don't understand binary, or couldn't build their own PC? Heresy! Seems all your test is concerned with is technical definitions of things that you don't really need to know in order to use a computer. Now Vinny's test... Practical application of file types, keyboard shortcuts that work for Windows as well as Linux (and need only be slightly amended for Mac), secure passwords, making backups, using Excel... now THAT is a computer literacy test!

I'm being facetious of course, but hopefully you get my point that not only is this not really an environment that's encouraging harsh criticism of a pretty good and at least fairly useful quiz, but your quiz isn't that great either. It's serving a pretty specific purpose. I could probably answer a lot of your questions, but I've never made a Powerpoint presentation in my entire life, and that could cost me a job. Conversely, somebody who knows Office software pretty well might not know what a filesystem is, but will be useful in a computer-related position somewhere.

It's just not worth the argument here on this forum; it's out of place.

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:28 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I agree with HylianDev. Onpon had a pretty good list of questions that covered a lot of important topics, but many of them aren't relevant to the average computer user. For example, I would expect an IT professional - especially someone going into the security field - to be able to explain the difference between a virus and a worm. Similarly, a software engineer should have a grasp of the different kinds of computer architectures. However, knowing these things isn't important to most people's everyday lives - unlike password management, office software, basic keyboard shortcuts, and other things that would help people work and learn more effectively and more efficiently. My test is more focused on evaluating the skills that I feel the average educated person needs to know about computing.

This test hasn't been widely tested or reviewed by a large team of experts. While I don't have my PhD or 50 years of experience, it is true that I've had two different jobs, a summer internship, and a volunteer position where I taught IT skills, so I have a bit of experience with this topic. I've found that a lot of people - including young people - have an insufficient understanding of digital literacy concepts. I'm obviously not talking about a game development community, where most of the users have a very strong understanding of digital literacy. But when dealing with non-technical people, you'll find a lot of them don't know nearly as much as you would expect them to. Last year, when I helped lead a summer camp for kids starting high school, a lot of them were typing at about 10 WPM, and they didn't have a grasp of a lot of other basic concepts. If you don't have reasonably strong digital literacy skills, it's going to limit how far you can go in life, as there are few jobs that don't require you to understand how to use a computer.

Again, I would advise against taking this quiz overly seriously, but I certainly don't mind critique. I may end up using a similar quiz for other things in the future, and it's always nice to get feedback.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:44 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
HylianDev wrote:
It's like running up on some dudes playing basketball at a park and telling them about all the rules they aren't following. They don't really care. They're still playing basketball.

Probably the only example this topic needs.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:53 pm 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
That example only works if I'm an outsider.

Touché.

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:37 pm 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

You really desperately have to have the last word, don't you

Example would still work if you were friends with the people playing basketball

Falcon Punch is the result of the Sun heating fists. It drives the Blue Falcon. Heating causes destruction of water into the pain, where it then hurts, creating rain. Rain creates flowing water in tears, which can then be converted into other forms through more pain.

scaled image
Mario's Sticker Stage - Finished adding Jump Stickers!, 26%

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:27 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
onpon4 wrote:
That example only works if I'm an outsider.

Touché.

No it doesn't. My wife and I were playing an incredibly casual game of checkers once at her parent's house and my Father in law decided to come along and tell her some rules and strategies so she could get an edge and we both basically said "yeah ok... but we're only playing for fun".

It kind of ruined the fun.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[kp]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:51 pm 
I'm number 1!
[*]
[*]
Pretty good quiz Vinny, the level of knowledge you're asking for should definitely the kind of thing that should be generally required of anyone working at least an office job these days.

onpon, you have a pretty good quiz too. I'd like to live in a world where all of that is expected knowledge about computers because of the vast impact they have on our lives, but we're not near that point yet

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:07 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Well, for the most part that was really easy. However:

"You just read an online article and you want to evaluate whether the information on it is accurate. Which of the following does the least to ensure that an article is accurate and credible? *"

Is misleading. The answer would probably more accurately be that you'd both check the author's background and the citations given for the content. That's because a respected author can indeed be wrong about something if they used questionable sources like fake news sites or wiki pages.

Additionally, citations should themselves be fully checked because of how easy it is to 'fake' one. For example, I've seen fake news sites link to non existent pages on sites like IGN because they thought no one would bother to follow the link and check it was real, or would assume the page was merely moved/deleted instead of never existing in the first place (I checked the Internet Archive to confirm this).

You should also make sure the credentials for the author are relevant, not just that they exist. Someone with a journalism degree is not necessarily a better reporter or more credible source than someone without it, but someone with actual experience in the field is probably better equipped to answer questions about it than an everyman. So for example, if you're reading about nuclear physics, an actual physicist with a PhD in Nuclear Physics and experience as a technician would be a better source that a journalist for the BBC.

Based on that, I think both citations and author experience are necessary to check an article's reliability, and feel the current question is misleading.

https://gamingreinvented.com/

Also, for Wario fans, check out Wario Forums today!

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 48 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic