Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 52 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Post new topic 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Why was Spoopy Maryo accepted?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:57 pm 
artwork by mit
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Roo wrote:
[emoticon spam]

I'm not necessarily defending the game's right to exist; I'm just bewildered by the outrage it has caused. If some joke games are allowed on MFGG and some aren't, where do we draw the line? Who gets to decide what is funny and what isn't? Who gets to sort the acceptable joke games from the unacceptable ones? Certainly not you. You're not even staff.

User page at mfgg.net

[fi]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:00 pm 
I shine.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Puddin wrote:
If some joke games are allowed on MFGG and some aren't, where do we draw the line?

Here is a very nifty how-to guide on how to not be a complete *******:
Step 1: Open up the first post of this thread.
Step 2: Read the first sentence very carefully.
(Optional) step 3: Read the second sentence very carefully.

Congratulations, you have managed to find "the line"!

Last edited by DJ Coco on Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Censored upon request

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:09 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Roo wrote:
It's not even a game.
But it is. Also this is not an engine test, this is a complete game. It just so happens to be less than what an engine test usually is.
I don't even understand why you needed to call Puddin a jackass when he asked where to draw the line when you only stated your opinion in the first post.

Also you shouldn't become so hotheaded about this, calling other members jackasses is even more against the rules than Hylian's game ;)

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:10 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

1. it's not a game

Quote:
video game: a game played by electronically manipulating images produced by a computer program on a television screen or other display screen.
I think it meets this criteria

2. it's worse than an engine test, and since those aren't allowed, spoopy maryo shouldn't be either

Engine tests aren't barred from the mainsite because they're bad. It's because they're not made for playing, but for testing. If your "game" also happens to be your engine test, but it's playable and fun and demonstrates a little more than just some blocks in weird formations, it's fine, you can submit it. Spoopy Maryo is a complete project.

edit: ninja'd

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:17 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
or maybe quality isn't something that can be defined and is instead determined as a group, and this group should always try to get the most quality content for the website they help run

[fi]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:20 pm 
I shine.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
HylianDev wrote:
1. it's not a game

Quote:
video game: a game played by electronically manipulating images produced by a computer program on a television screen or other display screen.

I think it meets this criteria

Guess what else meets that criteria? A DVD menu. I'd say that a DVD menu is more of a game than Spoopy Maryo because it has an actual goal.

So if Spoopy Maryo is an acceptable submission for the main site, what isn't? If repeatedly mashing one button for no reason or goal is considered a "complete project", what's the point of having any guidelines? I've had more fun with pretty much any engine test I've ever tried than I had with SM, so perhaps you should revise your stance on them.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:24 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

It has a goal. Your goal is to get away from the ghost. You can't accomplish the goal; it's impossible. But there is at least a goal in your mind.

And again -- whether or not a game is accepted isn't about what Roo has fun with

Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:24 pm 
artwork by mit
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Roo wrote:
Puddin wrote:
If some joke games are allowed on MFGG and some aren't, where do we draw the line?

Here is a very nifty how-to guide on how to not be a complete *******:
Step 1: Open up the first post of this thread.
Step 2: Read the first sentence very carefully.
(Optional) step 3: Read the second sentence very carefully.

Congratulations, you have managed to find "the line"!

Yeah, I read the OP, or I wouldn't have replied to the thread. Thanks. I've gone ahead and downloaded and 'played' the game now and yes, it's terrible. If I was QC I wouldn't have accepted it myself.

But DJ Coco pretty much covered my sentiments on the subject: despite having less features than an engine test, the game is complete. It also meets the criteria of a game (as HylianDev pointed out) but you're really grasping at straws by saying a DVD menu is a game too.

MFGG has a review system. Your average Joe isn't going to download a game with tons of 1/10 reviews, so how about instead of demanding a game be censored you write a negative review for it? Again, that's what the review system is for.

Last edited by Puddin on Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:25 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I agree that it shouldn't be on the main site.
However, you're ridiculously overreacting here.

It's just a site with some Mario fangames on it, everyone chill out a bit.

EDIT: That was directed at Roo, not Puddin

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:26 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
so wait a minute, there's no real end goal? it's literally just a mind game.

EDIT: alright lemme actually make a concise post.

if you wanna be obnoxious and pull out a dictionary and read off the dictionary definition of a game, then congratulations. literally anything can be a game in the right mindset. however, that's not how the real world works. when you're a part of quality control, you control quality. when something like this, where all you do is mash a key over and over again, requiring no skill, challenge, or effort, with no real goal, do you think that's something that can be considered quality? like, i know we all get now that the reason it got put up is due to carelessness, but even so. even as a joke game, it's really nothing special. joke games in general recently have just been rapidly declining in quality because everyone just thinks that making a "lawl xD randumb" game automatically qualifies as a good joke game. it'd be nice to have a good joke game again, though the way things are, it's not looking too good.

Last edited by Mit on Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:26 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

^^ this. The negative reviews are doing plenty. It is a complete, finished Video Game(tm). It meets the criteria. Let it have its turn to sink or swim, I say. It's not worth this debate.

Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[fi]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:28 pm 
I shine.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Instead of posting epic zingers, maybe you could actually answer "So if Spoopy Maryo is an acceptable submission for the main site, what isn't?", because I'd love to know. According to your logic, a JPG of a wall would count as a game because the goal is to reach the end BUT YOU CAN'T REACH IT BEST TWIST EVER TEN OUTTA TEN

User page at mfgg.net

[br]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:32 pm 
Not a bird
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
SuperArthurBros wrote:
There was another joke game that was less than 10 seconds long; you played as Link and you couldn't jump until a Trollface appeared saying Link doesn't jump. And then the game ends.

Why did the 'Link can't jump'(I don't remember the game name) game had better score than Spoopy Maryo?

Spoiler:

[at]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:33 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Hylian isn't QC staff, so there's no reason to get mad at him.
I made a mistake by not checking the content of the file, and perhaps Vinny because he was the second staffer who accepted it, but he is known to be very lenient with games.

So, now, here is a pic of kittens so we can all calm down before your trolling gets you another warning:
Spoiler:

Now. Please. Let's end this debate.

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[fi]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:35 pm 
I shine.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
You still didn't answer the question.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Roo wrote:
Instead of posting epic zingers, maybe you could actually answer "So if Spoopy Maryo is an acceptable submission for the main site, what isn't?", because I'd love to know. According to your logic, a JPG of a wall would count as a game because the goal is to reach the end BUT YOU CAN'T REACH IT BEST TWIST EVER TEN OUTTA TEN

Roo, listen

We already covered why a JPG wouldn't count. It's not a game.

Spoopy Maryo fits all the criteria for a finished game.

If you want to win this argument, I'll give you the key: go back to DJ Coco's first post in this topic, and my first post in this topic. We literally handed you the key to winning this debate.

It would not have been accepted had DJ actually scrutinized it like a real submission. I am a staff member though, so it was accepted automatically.

With that said, it's not fair that it was accepted. I'll request removal.

Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
artwork by mit
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Roo wrote:
Instead of posting epic zingers,

Who?

Roo wrote:
maybe you could actually answer "So if Spoopy Maryo is an acceptable submission for the main site, what isn't?", because I'd love to know.

Are you wanting me to answer this? Personally I don't think there's a black and white definition of what a game is and what a game isn't. That's what we have QC for and like I said, if I was QC I wouldn't have accepted it myself.

If QC decides something is site-worthy and there's enough community backlash, I would imagine a game could get pulled. I think it's healthy to have a discussion about it without getting angry.

A DVD menu, a JPG of a wall, and a game like Spoopy Mario are not acceptable in my book, but I wouldn't be outraged if any of the three were accepted to the main site. I think there are already tons of unacceptable games that exist on the main site.

Last edited by Puddin on Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Well, usually we indeed do not accept any joke games.
(At least I don't - Idk how other staffers handle submissions)

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:39 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
i think if a joke game is actually a good, well thought-out game, it should be accepted just like any other game. but as it is now spoopy maryo isn't something i'd accept if i was QC. whether it counts as a game or not, it's the absolute minimum and isn't a quality game by any stretch of the imagination

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:41 pm 
The Quantifiably Quip-tic QC Dude
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Whatever guys, it's gone. Everyone shut up and go home.

This situation really didn't need to get so overblown.

Last edited by Mr. Yoshbert on Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Image Refs - Something new's gonna show up here, I just know it! - DeviantArt - YouTubeImage
???!, 10%

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 52 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Post new topic