Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 27 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
Author Message
 [nl]
 Post subject: Chat Client
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:11 pm 
User avatar
Wreck 'n get stomped
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I looked at some old topics and found some topic where people discussed several things to be changed to MFGG, and one of those ideas was making a shoutbox. But, people complained all your posts would be gone after 10 or so and it'd be too busy to actually follow and post in time.
So, what about a chat client for MFGG, where people can chat, probably in personal groups or something if that's possible. I wonder if you like this idea, share your thoughts with posts and in the poll, if you want so. Maybe if enough people want this, it can be real.
EDIT: Oops, I think this must be in the GC. Admins, please move this.


Last edited by WreckingPrograms on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
_________________
My Youtube | My Twitter
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [ca]
 Post subject: Re: Chat Client
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:25 pm 
User avatar
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
What's wrong with the General Chat we have? While it's not as fast to respond, it basically serves the same function.

 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [nl]
 Post subject: Re: Chat Client
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:26 pm 
User avatar
Wreck 'n get stomped
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Rystar wrote:
What's wrong with the General Chat we have? While it's not as fast to respond, it basically serves the same function.


There's nothing wrong with the GC, but you can't chat there. With a Chat Client, you can.

_________________
My Youtube | My Twitter
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [ca]
 Post subject: Re: Chat Client
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:30 pm 
User avatar
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
WreckingGoomba wrote:
Rystar wrote:
What's wrong with the General Chat we have? While it's not as fast to respond, it basically serves the same function.


There's nothing wrong with the GC, but you can't chat there. With a Chat Client, you can.

Alright, I can see why you would want it then. In that case, I propose there be a thread in the General Chat (stickied or not, it doesn't matter) where there is no topic. Basically, you can post whatever is on your mind that you feel isn't worthy of it's own topic. Perhaps after people start talking about your post, you could make your own topic about it, but for the most part, it would just be a thread about nothing. Albeit, all other rules of the GC and the forums still apply, obviously.

I propose this topic be called "Seinthread: A Topic About Nothing".

 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [nl]
 Post subject: Re: Chat Client
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:33 pm 
User avatar
Wreck 'n get stomped
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Possible, but the chat won't go very well I assume, like if many users post, it's gonna get all messed up. I personally still think a client would be better.

_________________
My Youtube | My Twitter
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [ca]
 Post subject: Re: Chat Client
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:34 pm 
User avatar
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
WreckingGoomba wrote:
Possible, but the chat won't go very well I assume, like if many users post, it's gonna get all messed up. I personally still think a client would be better.

I don't see how a chat client would really be any different, or how it would be immune from the problem you're posing.

 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [nl]
 Post subject: Re: Chat Client
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:38 pm 
User avatar
Wreck 'n get stomped
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Rystar wrote:
WreckingGoomba wrote:
Possible, but the chat won't go very well I assume, like if many users post, it's gonna get all messed up. I personally still think a client would be better.

I don't see how a chat client would really be any different, or how it would be immune from the problem you're posing.


k, look. With a topic, you need to refresh and refresh to actually see if someone responded. I'll take chatting via PM or IM for an example. With IM, you intermediately see if someone posted or not. And it's private, which a chat client doesn't have to be, however. And with PM, it's going way worse because you always need to refresh, read, write the whole thing and then wait for the other to refresh and write his too. You prefer IM too, right? Well, that's kinda the thing what my problem is (PM is topic and IM is client, by the way).

_________________
My Youtube | My Twitter
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [ca]
 Post subject: Re: Chat Client
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:42 pm 
User avatar
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
WreckingGoomba wrote:
Rystar wrote:
WreckingGoomba wrote:
Possible, but the chat won't go very well I assume, like if many users post, it's gonna get all messed up. I personally still think a client would be better.

I don't see how a chat client would really be any different, or how it would be immune from the problem you're posing.


k, look. With a topic, you need to refresh and refresh to actually see if someone responded. I'll take chatting via PM or IM for an example. With IM, you intermediately see if someone posted or not. And it's private, which a chat client doesn't have to be, however. And with PM, it's going way worse because you always need to refresh, read, write the whole thing and then wait for the other to refresh and write his too. You prefer IM too, right? Well, that's kinda the thing what my problem is (PM is topic and IM is client, by the way).

Except it could go by too fast, causing people to lose interest in using a chat client. Not only that, people would have to download said client to talk to everyone else, which is problematic if you don't already have it and this would be the only reason to get it. If you want to talk to other MFGGers over Instant Messaging, nothing's stopping you from asking them for their Skype's and making a group between the few of you. Hell, in the long run, that would be the more practical option.

 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [nl]
 Post subject: Re: Chat Client
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:44 pm 
User avatar
Wreck 'n get stomped
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
You don't need to download something for most of the Chat Clients. Take Mibbit for example.

_________________
My Youtube | My Twitter
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [ca]
 Post subject: Re: Chat Client
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:46 pm 
User avatar
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
WreckingGoomba wrote:
You don't need to download something for most of the Chat Clients. Take Mibbit for example.

You've got me there, but pretty much everyone would have to register for said Chat Client, and that would be equally as problematic, especially for people who don't want to sign up for something for one thing only.

 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [nl]
 Post subject: Re: Chat Client
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:48 pm 
User avatar
Wreck 'n get stomped
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Rystar wrote:
You've got me there, but pretty much everyone would have to register for said Chat Client, and that would be equally as problematic, especially for people who don't want to sign up for something for one thing only.


Maybe there's a way to make it so the account will be automatically made from your MFGG account. I don't know if that's possible though.

_________________
My Youtube | My Twitter
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Chat Client
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:32 pm 
User avatar
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Could be an interesting feature. As my understanding goes, the shoutboxes designed for phpBB are all pretty iffy, and it might be a headache to implement.

Also, you could always use visit the MFGG IRC or one of the shoutboxes on the JaxBoards forums that several members have started. MSN, AIM, and Skype are also good ways to talk with other MFGG members.

_________________
Course clear! You got a card.

Image
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Chat Client
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:11 pm 
User avatar
dataSKY - we connect the world
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Honestly, I think Skype is the best way to go. The points that Rystar brought up were all summing up my thoughts. Skype can be useful for things other than talking to MFGGers, and as Vinny said phpBB shoutboxes are an annoyance to install.

 
Top
Offline 
 
 
 [ca]
 Post subject: Re: Chat Client
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:16 pm 
User avatar
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
A Skype chat isn't such a bad idea, if you're all willing to get Skype; then again, it's a pretty useful little program, and I've had one since at least 2008, and it's pretty sweet.

 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Chat Client
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:23 pm 
User avatar
dataSKY - we connect the world
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I'm sure we all can get a group going, but yeah we need some participants.


Last edited by Madox on Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
Top
Offline 
 
 
 [ca]
 Post subject: Re: Chat Client
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:29 pm 
User avatar
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Madox wrote:
I'm sure we all get a group going, but yeah we need some participants.

Well hey, I'll participate! My skype is ike_bravo, for those curious. I can't be on right now, as I have to leave soon, but I'll try to get on tonight. If not then, then sometime tomorrow if that's fine ^^

 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [ca]
 Post subject: Re: Chat Client
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:05 pm 
User avatar
Lord of the Realm
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Meh, sure. I'm on Skype a fair amount. If anyone wants to add my contact, it's under my usual E-mail: "lordgavinmaclean@gmail.com" (I don't remember my ID/Name >_>'). Just ensure you add "MFGG Member" to your add so I know to approve it is all.

Also, not to discourage you guys, but be warned that I've seen a lot of forums up and die when they open a chatroom or migrate into Skype. Never really a "bad" thing, but just saying it can happen.

_________________
Remember:
THAT'S LORD GAVIN TO YOU!
http://www.lordgavingames.webs.com
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Chat Client
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:12 pm 
User avatar
dataSKY - we connect the world
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

LordGavin wrote:
Meh, sure. I'm on Skype a fair amount. If anyone wants to add my contact, it's under my usual E-mail: "lordgavinmaclean@gmail.com" (I don't remember my ID/Name >_>'). Just ensure you add "MFGG Member" to your add so I know to approve it is all.

Also, not to discourage you guys, but be warned that I've seen a lot of forums up and die when they open a chatroom or migrate into Skype. Never really a "bad" thing, but just saying it can happen.

I don't really see it much with Skype, but when they gain chatrooms and stuff that is when I usually see activity decline.

 
Top
Offline 
 
 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Chat Client
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:33 pm 
User avatar
The Dark Warrior
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Reading this, I just wanna say this: MFGG already have an IRC chatroom years ago when I asked DragezeeY months ago (which I wasnt there at the time when they had it) so I find it rahter pointless to suggest it. A Skype group, however, is more of a better option to go.

_________________
My DeviantArt: http://strikeforcer.deviantart.com/
My YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/sspp0310

ATTENTION! I am in need of coders to help fix Mario's physics for Mysterious Islandz. The game as it stands, is quite glitchy. If you are good at GM8 and is capable of reading FDE Exi's code, PM me!

Spoiler:


Image

I am the true darkness. MFGG stands in my way!
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [ca]
 Post subject: Re: Chat Client
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:46 pm 
User avatar
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
So are we gonna go ahead and do this then? I'd be up for it ^^

 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 27 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 


Who is online

Users browsing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group