Post subject: Marvel vs DC.
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:28 pm 
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

It was about time we made a comic-related topic here.

Marvel is better. Their TV shows and movies are of much superior quality that those of DC. Only exception where I like DC more is Batman. Batman rocks, and you know why? BECAUSE HE'S BATMAN!

What about you guys?

Last edited by Mr. Saltman on Sun May 14, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
 Post subject: Re: Marvel vs DC.
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:53 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
If we're talking movies and TV, Marvel is the clear winner hands down. They know how to make good movies and they keep the comic book feel whereas DC tends to go for the grim, dark and gritty realism and for the most part it fails.

However DC has a bit more of a share when it comes to TV with The Flash being a mostly fantasic TV series, though I could do without things like Legends of Tomorrow and Arrow is nowhere near as good as it was at the start. With that said, Marvel is again coming out in front with Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage all being excellent series and more on the way, and don't get me started on how trippy and awesome Legion was.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:50 am 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I'll just throw out there that I'm not a fan of the modern comic book TV shows and movies. I have no interest in watching them. I'm sure they're awesome but I don't really want to spare the time.

Talking 90s/00s cartoons, DC wins hands-down. Batman: TAS was amazing. The X-Men cartoon from the 90s was pretty good, but I remember it mostly as a lot of camp with a pretty good animation style. Same for the Spider-Man cartoon. Moving into the 2000s you've got Batman: The Brave and the Bold was also really good. Plus Teen Titans! So you've got three great DC cartoons (and two bad/mediocre ones: The Batman and Beware The Batman). Marvel never had a "great" cartoon, I don't think. X-Men: Evolution wasn't that great to me either.

Talking non-Universe movies (aka Man of Steel and after for DC, Iron Man and after for Marvel), I feel like DC has the edge here, too. Universe movies, Marvel definitely wins, no doubt about it, but before that, just take a look. The Spider-Man movies were pretty good but also whinier than I would've liked. The X-Men movies seemed kinda convoluted to me, but I may be alone in that. The Superman movies though, they're considered classics (well... two of them are). The Batman movies are hit-or-miss but in general, the Tim Burton and Chris Nolan movies are good.

Talking comic books, I was never into Marvel comics outside of the very early ones. I had reproductions of Spider-Man's first several appearances (Amazing Fantasy 15, The Amazing Spider-Man 1 through... 5?) as well as the Avengers' first appearances. So this one is 100% biased; I simply prefer DC in this department.

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:20 am 
I'll see you all at 3:15!
[*]
[*]
[*]
I find myself preferring DC a bit more now, just because I'm so sick and goddamn tired of Marvel these days.

Favorite DC movies are the Burton Batmans and Batman Begins. Favorite Marvel movies are Iron Man 1, Captain America Civil War, and Logan.

I also think DC has the edge on its TV front. Marvel's cartoons have always been "meh", and the Netflix shows are so slow and dark - literally dark. It's so hard to see anything that happens in nighttime shots (which are super common).

but screw both of these, the real question is when we're getting a new Hellboy movie

[br]
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:03 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Nowadays they're both bad examples of how comics shouldn't be written by fans. I stopped reading comics some time ago because I just couldn't stand the pandering and how fanfic-ish the plots were. Though, from what I've read, DC's been having the edge and Marvel's getting worse by the year.

Now, if you're talking the "classic" periods (which I'd say from the early 60s to 1989), Marvel wins hands down. The writing was miles ahead in many aspects. There was good characterization, mostly good plots and dialogue (admittedly it depended on the writer) and a sense of continuity and progress. Meanwhile, DC was often inconsistent, overly silly and pretty ridiculous (save for a few good stories, most of them Batman). Until the end of the 80s, Marvel was truly a House of Ideas.

Having said all that, as a guy who researches a lot of comic history and behind the scenes stuff, I think it's not fair to judge whether a company is better than another, because in the end it all depends on who's writing the stuff, and most writers (and artists, too) have worked on both companies. For example, a lot of stuff came from Jack Kirby alone - in Marvel he was responsible for the Fantastic Four, X-Men, Iron Man, Hulk etc. and in DC he came up with the New Gods, Darkseid, Challengers of the Unknown and a few others. I've seen some comic fans who don't really know what they're talking about say the X-Men are a rip-off of Doom Patrol, but the Doom Patrol itself is a rehash of Jack Kirby ideas (mostly from Challengers of the Unknown which he made at DC and Fantastic Four which he made at Marvel). Thanos, too, is often criticized as a ripoff of Darkseid, who is a Jack Kirby creation. A lot of big comic ideas can be traced back to Jack Kirby, who worked on multiple companies.

About movies, cartoons and all this stuff that doesn't matter - most of it doesn't interest me anyway, but I can say that DC has better cartoons. I really really really don't like the Marvel Cinematic Universe and I think all modern DC movies are terrible, so I guess that's a draw.

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:12 am 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
None of the comics have been any good for years, but the marvel movies are usually ok.

Either way I feel like both company's high points have been and gone.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 6 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic