Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next  [ 164 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: MFGG's volunteer technical support thread
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:01 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
superbowser wrote:
Ok, so a few months ago I moved into a new house. Since then, my computer has been unable to connect to our wireless network. The network shows up on my computer as being a very strong (4-5 bar) signal. However, whenever I try to connect to it, I get an error simply stating that it was unable to connect to the network. I have tried and tried, but nothing seems to allow me to connect wirelessly. I am able to access the Internet through a wired connection, but this is very inconvineient due to the location of the Ethernet port.

Also, my computer doesn't have any trouble connecting to other networks. Every other device in the house is able to connect to my netwok, so I have reason to believe that something is wacky in my connection settings or that I am somehow being blocked from my own network.

Oh, and my computer is a Windows 7 64-bit laptop.

Any ideas?
Restart your router, modem and computer. Also check on your security settings. There should be a network troubleshooting thing available whenever it fails to connect, so try letting that run next time. If it decides to not be useless and just reset your adapter, it might be able to tell you what's wrong.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:15 pm 
Stay fresh!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Miles wrote:
Restart your router, modem and computer. Also check on your security settings. There should be a network troubleshooting thing available whenever it fails to connect, so try letting that run next time. If it decides to not be useless and just reset your adapter, it might be able to tell you what's wrong.

I can't believe I never noticed this before, but apparently some of the cables were not connected to my router correctly. As soon as I hooked it up correctly, internet started working on my laptop! How the other devices in the house were able to connect, I have no idea.
Anyways, I'm glad to finally have internet on my laptop. Thanks for the help! :biggrin:

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:48 pm 
It's not a tumor
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Well hello there MFGG. It's been a while.

So right now I require the services of your site to get sprites, but for some reason a lot of the sheets on the site are opening in Quicktime, like this one and this one.

Any idea why? I've always had this problem on MFGG and only on MFGG, and with multiple computers and multiple browsers.

[ca]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:51 pm 
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
McKnackus I wrote:
Well hello there MFGG. It's been a while.

So right now I require the services of your site to get sprites, but for some reason a lot of the sheets on the site are opening in Quicktime, like this one and this one.

Any idea why? I've always had this problem on MFGG and only on MFGG, and with multiple computers and multiple browsers.

I've had that same ****ing problem

Seriously, it's annoyed me for so long. How can you go about fixing it?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:03 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
In your respective browser, see if there's any options for what the browser does with selected things. In Firefox, settings for that are under the Content tab in the Options.

You could also check and see if Quicktime has associated itself with things it shouldn't have. This may or may not be helpful: http://sticklebackplastic.com/post/2007 ... tions.aspx

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:37 pm 
It's not a tumor
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Okay so I tried toggling png association on and off. Unfortunately when you toggle it on it doesn't let you toggle it off again.

So I just uninstalled quicktime. Not like it does anything anymore and I never use it.

but now some of the images are just straight downloading when I want to view them. any way to fix that?

[us]
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:53 pm 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
McKnackus I wrote:
Okay so I tried toggling png association on and off. Unfortunately when you toggle it on it doesn't let you toggle it off again.

So I just uninstalled quicktime. Not like it does anything anymore and I never use it.

but now some of the images are just straight downloading when I want to view them. any way to fix that?

Quick question,
What internet browser are you using?

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:07 am 
I want to play your oldest games on mfgg like toad in the desert but it doesn't work on my windows 8 could you maybe fix age old games on mfgg so that they will run on newer computers like windows 8?

[us]
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:05 am 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
gigmadesh001 wrote:
I want to play your oldest games on mfgg like toad in the desert but it doesn't work on my windows 8 could you maybe fix age old games on mfgg so that they will run on newer computers like windows 8?

I can try,
however,
one thing that makes this task difficult is that older click games (and current alike) are Encrypted,
In the case of my fix for Yoshi VS windows http://www.mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb ... 2&id=28598 is the game was open source,
Yoshi VS windows platinum (which possesses the same glitch) is encrypted with a (currently) non decryptable engine.
if the game can be decrypted, the process is simple for me to do.

if its done in GM, im afraid the process is out of the question unless a GM user can decompile it and fix.

Give me some time, ill have a look at the game, and see if i can fix it for you, No promises however.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:20 am 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Well,
here are my findings, its not exactly good news though.

The game is made in an old Game maker (which is why its not working on windows 8 it would seem)
I also cannot make it run at all in windows 7 (64 bit) compatibility modes do nothing to help in this case.
Windows XP (32 bit) seems to run it fine though. if you have an old computer with that on it, or a Virtual Machine, you should be able to run this game.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:08 pm 
could someone actually do a tutorial on where to download and how to use the virtual machine

[nl]
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:11 pm 
Paper Mario Fanatic
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Nite Shadow wrote:
gigmadesh001 wrote:

if its done in GM, im afraid the process is out of the question unless a GM user can decompile it and fix.

If someone could grant me the permission, I'm willing to brush these games up and reboot them as Windows 7 games using Game Maker 8. I have the tools and know-how to decompile these games. Why? Because I never made backup files of my own games, but I did create a .exe version every now and then.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:26 pm 
C# Programmer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Hey Nite, my physics teacher got me a little bit hooked onto robotics and electronics stuff. I was wondering if you knew of any good site i can use to learn more about it.

I also have a laptop that's not used anymore due to the battery being dead, the charger socket thing being messed up/broken and the thing(clamps?) that holds the top half of the laptop being messed up. Its only a few years old but based the condition its in, I had the thought of using the laptop for parts. Do you have any suggestions on how i should go about all this?

*Note* The laptop im using now is in similar but worse shape. The battery is dead but the charger wire is taped to the socket. The other laptop technically works but theres no way to plugin a cord to it without repairing the laptop. So its not usable. I dunno how much that would cost but im buying a new/cheap laptop soon (about 300$).

In the end, i'd love to make some small programming robot. I dunno what it would do cuz this is just for fun. Any and all advice would be great.

-----

edit: I also have a toy car that uses a remote to move. Any ideas what i can use from it? It no longer works/ doesn't respond to the remote.

Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl

[kp]
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:46 pm 
I'm number 1!
[*]
[*]
gigmadesh001 wrote:
could someone actually do a tutorial on where to download and how to use the virtual machine

people have made plenty, just head to google. you're going to need decent enough hardware too

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:49 pm 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
TheShyGuy wrote:
Hey Nite, my physics teacher got me a little bit hooked onto robotics and electronics stuff. I was wondering if you knew of any good site i can use to learn more about it.

I also have a laptop that's not used anymore due to the battery being dead, the charger socket thing being messed up/broken and the thing(clamps?) that holds the top half of the laptop being messed up. Its only a few years old but based the condition its in, I had the thought of using the laptop for parts. Do you have any suggestions on how i should go about all this?

*Note* The laptop im using now is in similar but worse shape. The battery is dead but the charger wire is taped to the socket. The other laptop technically works but theres no way to plugin a cord to it without repairing the laptop. So its not usable. I dunno how much that would cost but im buying a new/cheap laptop soon (about 300$).

In the end, i'd love to make some small programming robot. I dunno what it would do cuz this is just for fun. Any and all advice would be great.

well, scraping somthing out for parts is relitively simple, i think the main usable parts from one may end up being the HDD, Ram, Monitor, and processor.
start with the user accessable parts, the memory bay, and expansion bays, once the contents of these are removed, you should have access to all the systems screws, remove them, and you should be able to take the bottom off the comp.

be aware, each model computer is different, as such, they may come appart differently.
though the process can be tedious, depending on amount of screws.
as long as you take your time, and dont force anything, you shouldent have any problems.

as for that robot thing,
im afraid thats a new one on me,
your best bets may be youtube and google for finding information.
I wish i had more info on this (or any at all that might be helpfull than this). sorry.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:38 pm 
C# Programmer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Thanks, ill look into it more.

Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl

[zz]
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:39 am 
I don't think virtual box can play fan made games or any games on mfgg

[us]
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:41 am 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
gigmadesh001 wrote:
I don't think virtual box can play fan made games or any games on mfgg

Yeah it can, people do this all the time really,
just follow the instructions how to set up windows in it.
if you have installed windows properly, Most games on MFGG should run.

if you are actually not able to, you might have to look into an alternative like VMware,
though that program can prove to be quite expensive.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:42 pm 
always have a hot girl as your avatar
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
nite, when you set up vmware player to run windows 95, i hear you're supposed to get drivers for a specific soundblaster device. i think it was a pci128 or something like that. however, when i tried to install this on my virtual rig, it still failed to produce sound.

i've got two questions: one, did you set up the virtual machine on the latest version of vmware player? i hear that the go-between drivers vmware uses to get sound working on the emulated device won't work on images created with later versions of vmware player. second, do you have an onboard or dedicated sound card? i hear that onboard sound cards like the one in my pc can cause problems with sound on win9x images

I don't really use waifu seriously. The very definition of waifu is that you are in love with them and I'm not at the point where I would develop romantic feelings for an anime character. It's only... friendsu with benefitsu ;)

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:56 pm 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
fireball3k wrote:
nite, when you set up vmware player to run windows 95, i hear you're supposed to get drivers for a specific soundblaster device. i think it was a pci128 or something like that. however, when i tried to install this on my virtual rig, it still failed to produce sound.

i've got two questions: one, did you set up the virtual machine on the latest version of vmware player? i hear that the go-between drivers vmware uses to get sound working on the emulated device won't work on images created with later versions of vmware player. second, do you have an onboard or dedicated sound card? i hear that onboard sound cards like the one in my pc can cause problems with sound on win9x images

Before i get too far, Windows 95 is one of the most touchy VM's ive ever dealt with, im actually plagued with a string on missing files at boot up, and had the OS break on me FOUR TIMES, make sure that you dont have anything important in that VM before doing anything at all, im still studying this to make it function properly.

I am actually using VMware workstation 9.0.0 build-812388
You will want to run the VM in an older compatability mode. (VMware workstation 5.X mode)

to make the sound card work, you will need to download the Sound Blaster PCI 128 drivers for Windows 9x from http://support.creative.com/Products/Pr ... nd+Blaster

As of reading your question, i decided to do a google search, http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micros ... Id=1025639 this seems to have some useful information, that may be helpful to you.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next  [ 164 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic