[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]

New Super Mario bros. U is the latest installment of the NSMB series, just a few months after NSMB2 came out.

This version pretty much has everything and more featured in NSMBwii, Koopalings? check, Yoshi's? check BAH-BAHs? double check!!
Thanks to the Wii U hardware you can play this game either on the TV or on the controller itself, and with miiverse you can brag to your friends about how you collected all the star coins in a level.

Theres also a world map and stuff, and new baby yoshis, one that blows up into a balloon, one that shoots bubbles and another that glows in the dark!

Anyways talk about the game to your hearts content! Don't spoil any l337 secrets through, let some people enjoy their discoveries!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: New Super Mario bros. U
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:50 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
World 1-7 (at least the worlds that I've played. I ended up skipping a few) are pretty much what you'd expect from the NSMB series, although the level design is pretty good, and some levels are really hard (in a good way.) World 8 is amazing, not much "new" with it, but the concept itself is just great. The real star of this game is the bosses. They feel challenging and they are actually really creative.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:13 pm 
sluuuuurp
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I heard this game has the walrus in it!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:46 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Yep, it seems there's something walrus-like in this game!

I'm a little disappointed that Nintendo didn't go in a more innovative direction - the New SMB remixes don't feel so "new" any more. But it's still a Mario game, and it's safe to say that it's going to be an enjoyable way to spend a few hours. I'm pretty confident I'll give this a try when I get a Wii U.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:14 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Wow, that world map looks amazing! Can't wait for this game.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:39 am 
it's ironic
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Just looking at it's Mario Wiki page, it looks pretty freakin' awesome. I love the different themes for the worlds, and how they put a SMW-esque twist on the classic worlds everyone's accustomed to. The map looks astounding, and World 8 is really interesting, and reminds me of a concept me and my development team discussed for my fangame. Really cool.

User page at mfgg.net

[se]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:08 am 
In Donaldismo Veritas
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

It looks like an alright game, and I'll probably get it eventually. The platformer I'm buying along with my Wii U will be Rayman Legends, though.

User page at mfgg.net

[aq]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:46 am 
Founder
[F]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

It's Angry Old Folk Time! =D

I've been a die-hard Mario fan for as long as I can remember. Whenever a new Mario was coming out, I'd be all overcome with eager euphoria and what have you not, ever desperate to immerse myself in the Mushroom World once more. Therefore, it is my utmost regret to state that this will be the first Mario I'll be skipping out on.

There are many reasons -- the primary of course being the fact that I'm not going to get a Wii U, which goes hand in hand with my outlook on gaming in general. I'm older now, and video games no longer provide the sensation they did during my childhood. Also, I don't have or intend on getting an HD TV. And furthermore, each new console release has been feeling more and more redundant. Right in front of my TV I have a Wii, GameCube (for its Gameboy Player), N64 and Playstation 2 - none of which I really play that often these days - and in my basement, an NES, SNES, and Genesis that haven't been touched in years. And that's not counting all the handhelds. D; So yeah, enough with the new consoles already!

So yes, what were we talking about? New Super Mario Bros. U?

Oh, right, I think the "New" series should have ended after the Wii iteration. Upon hearing of "New Super Mario Bros. Mii," I shifted my eyes and groaned, as that ship had sailed. When I heard that a 2D Mario was being made for the 3DS, I got my hopes up specifically that it would not be another "New" Super Mario Bros, but, we know how that turned out. Granted, I got the game anyway, because like I said, die-hard Mario fan, and yes, I enjoyed it; but I couldn't help but lament the fact that we had the official counterpart of the Hello Engine on our hands.

When NSMBU was announced this past summer, my reaction was an utterly indifferent "ooh, yay, another 'New' Super Mario Bros, who would have ever guessed?" Though I must admit, I did think that the art style was really cool, and still do. As for the game itself... yeah, it looks pretty good, but any possible impact it could have had was all but deflated by the fact that this game was already made three times, essentially. Had those previous entries not been made, U would probably be spectacular. Likewise, if Hello had focused all of his efforts on creating one great game rather than releasing the same one over and over (and, you know, did not release his engine for everyone else to use), I would have totally praised his efforts. But alas, it looks to me that the 2D Mario series is on autopilot at this point, shiny new coat of paint or not.

Really, I would like to play this, along with any future installments, at least once. Because for what it is, it looks great -- just without any proper innovation, not worth the hundreds of dollars just for entry. Keep in mind I'm really not a gamer-type, I'm just a huge Mario fan (with Fire Emblem being the only other series of almost equal effect to me).

So yeah, from this point onward, if I want a new Mario, I'm going to make it myself. ;P

Psychic Cyclopean Silverware IN SPACE!
Follow updates (among other things) on The Twitterbooks!
(if you followed my old personal account, this is a different one - follow it instead!)

Engine test demo and more @
EyesInEverything.com

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:51 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
This doesn't feel like "the same game made 3 times before" to me and is by far the best NSMB game of them all. I really wish people wouldn't focus so hard on what the game is called and would try it out for themselves.

Calling NSMB an official Hello game, how terrible.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:15 pm 
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
While I appreciate the efforts done with the game, I think I'll pass, much like what I did with NSMB2 before it. It may also have something to do with me not having a Wii U, but the console itself doesn't have anything that interests me yet, so I'll wait before I make a purchase ^^

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:27 pm 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
When NSMB was first revealed, people were really interested in it.

Now we have a handful of NSMBs, and people are getting fed up with them all mostly being the same.

Silly, silly turn of events. :P

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:44 am 
Ready to roll!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Thunder Dragon wrote:
It's Angry Old Folk Time! =D

I've been a die-hard Mario fan for as long as I can remember. Whenever a new Mario was coming out, I'd be all overcome with eager euphoria and what have you not, ever desperate to immerse myself in the Mushroom World once more. Therefore, it is my utmost regret to state that this will be the first Mario I'll be skipping out on.

There are many reasons -- the primary of course being the fact that I'm not going to get a Wii U, which goes hand in hand with my outlook on gaming in general. I'm older now, and video games no longer provide the sensation they did during my childhood. Also, I don't have or intend on getting an HD TV. And furthermore, each new console release has been feeling more and more redundant. Right in front of my TV I have a Wii, GameCube (for its Gameboy Player), N64 and Playstation 2 - none of which I really play that often these days - and in my basement, an NES, SNES, and Genesis that haven't been touched in years. And that's not counting all the handhelds. D; So yeah, enough with the new consoles already!

So yes, what were we talking about? New Super Mario Bros. U?

Oh, right, I think the "New" series should have ended after the Wii iteration. Upon hearing of "New Super Mario Bros. Mii," I shifted my eyes and groaned, as that ship had sailed. When I heard that a 2D Mario was being made for the 3DS, I got my hopes up specifically that it would not be another "New" Super Mario Bros, but, we know how that turned out. Granted, I got the game anyway, because like I said, die-hard Mario fan, and yes, I enjoyed it; but I couldn't help but lament the fact that we had the official counterpart of the Hello Engine on our hands.

When NSMBU was announced this past summer, my reaction was an utterly indifferent "ooh, yay, another 'New' Super Mario Bros, who would have ever guessed?" Though I must admit, I did think that the art style was really cool, and still do. As for the game itself... yeah, it looks pretty good, but any possible impact it could have had was all but deflated by the fact that this game was already made three times, essentially. Had those previous entries not been made, U would probably be spectacular. Likewise, if Hello had focused all of his efforts on creating one great game rather than releasing the same one over and over (and, you know, did not release his engine for everyone else to use), I would have totally praised his efforts. But alas, it looks to me that the 2D Mario series is on autopilot at this point, shiny new coat of paint or not.

Really, I would like to play this, along with any future installments, at least once. Because for what it is, it looks great -- just without any proper innovation, not worth the hundreds of dollars just for entry. Keep in mind I'm really not a gamer-type, I'm just a huge Mario fan (with Fire Emblem being the only other series of almost equal effect to me).

So yeah, from this point onward, if I want a new Mario, I'm going to make it myself. ;P

TD has spoken! All hail the opinion of the Thunder Dragon! His word is gaming law!

As much as I respect you, TD, and all the amazing games you've created, I must complain that you're being overly harsh on this game. Everyone who's whining about this game not being "Innovative" makes me think they're sore that Mario hasn't done something awesome and edgy, pushing platforming and gaming as a whole to the next level.

The thing is, platform games will never again have that same prevalence they had back in the 80's and 90's, no matter how much we wish they would. Nintendo is a bushiness, just like any other, and they have to stick with what sells in order to make a profit. "Hardcore" gamers today have no interest in the fun, happy world of Mario, so they have to appeal to the much more open minded casual market to make sure they break even. This means they can't change things up too much, or else they risk losing even more audience.

I'd also like to point out that, despite everyone whining that using the same engine is cheating and makes the games worthless, Nintendo's NSMB engine has always been the peak of platform gaming. It's smooth, it's not glitchy, and it has two-four player multiplayer. There's really no game breaking flaws with it. It's hard to fix something that was never really broken in the first place.

As for innovation, Nintendo has been breaking out plenty of the new and creative features. We're just so jaded by how groundbreaking World and 64 were, that it's impossible for us to accept that Mario has had to use a different kind of innovation to stay relevant with the competition. In NSMBU alone, we've got the baby yoshis, which are a new spin on the entire Yoshi Formula. We've got the flying squirrel suit, which is the most practical flying powerup we've seen in a while, capable of covering both long distances or getting a quick boost up without breaking the game. We've got Nabbit Chases, which add a new feel to levels without needing to change anything . We've got boost mode, which offers a new way to speedrun, grief or help your friends while playing. We've got Challenge Mode, which gives us creative challenges the likes of which have never been seen in Mario before, though they seem obvious in retrospect! And all this on top of a solid
engine which has no major flaws!

I don't know about you, but I'm looking forward to NSMBU. I'm not so old and jaded yet that I can't appreciate Nintendo's efforts to be innovative while still appealing to the broadest audience they can.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:45 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
they should stop the "New" marioy stuff and try make some remakes and some sequels to popular games eg SMW, YI, SMS (super mario shinines) and etc. Sega did make some remake of green hill zone and they did a good job on it and Some videogame companies did a good job on remakes and i think Super Mario needs to stop "New" stuff, i think New stuff is taking too far (i think)

[se]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:58 am 
In Donaldismo Veritas
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

GamePixel wrote:
they should stop the "New" marioy stuff and try make some remakes and some sequels to popular games eg SMW, YI, SMS (super mario shinines) and etc. Sega did make some remake of green hill zone and they did a good job on it and Some videogame companies did a good job on remakes and i think Super Mario needs to stop "New" stuff, i think New stuff is taking too far (i think)

But the "new" Mario games are basically all the same. Are you suggesting Nintendo should get even less innovative with their Mario games? I love Super Mario Sunshine, it's probably my favorite 3D Mario game, but do we need a direct sequel? I would prefer if they did something new and exciting, something we haven't seen before.

And we did get a direct sequel to Yoshi's Island, for the Nintendo DS, and we all know how that turned out.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:09 am 
it's ironic
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Alex wrote:
GamePixel wrote:

But the "new" Mario games are basically all the same. Are you suggesting Nintendo should get even less innovative with their Mario games? I love Super Mario Sunshine, it's probably my favorite 3D Mario game, but do we need a direct sequel? I would prefer if they did something new and exciting, something we haven't seen before.

And we did get a direct sequel to Yoshi's Island, for the Nintendo DS, and we all know how that turned out.

A YI sequel that maintained the original's chalky graphical style would be a really awesome new installment, in my opinion. I don't know how to properly explain what I mean, but something similar to the engine used by Wario Land: Shake It.

I feel like NSMBU is more of a sequel to SMW than anything else, and whether or not Sunshine needs a sequel is debatable. I personally think if they were to make a sequel that it should definitely take advantage of motion control. But they really need to stop slapping the "NEW" title on their recent releases. Super Mario 3D Land was very fun and innovative, and rules supreme as my favorite handheld Mario title, but recent entries like NSMB2 seem a lot less interesting.

Last edited by ~CaMtEnDo~ on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[kp]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:23 pm 
I'm number 1!
[*]
[*]
I won't deny that I'd love to give this game a shot and definitely will if I ever get the opportunity.

but I'm pretty sure I'll just end up hating it in the same way I was excited for NSMBWii...

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:22 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Amazing game, I just wish they had made better use of the two screen setup.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
 [ 17 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic