Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 78 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [tr]
 Post subject: Re: MFGG3's Official Development Topic
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:03 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Kritter wrote:
But those buttons don't fit with the rest of the site, they're rounded and the border is really thick.
I probably shoud've made it a bit less rounded overall but I really can't see how it wouldn't fit with the rest, especially the outlines. If you were talking about colors I'd understand since Hylian used wrong classes for that.

Kritter wrote:
I disagree with that. For example, having the date on an update is far less important than the update itself. You still need to know when the update was, so rather than removing it entirely, I have it less bright than the content of the update itself. It's readable if you need or want to know it, but it doesn't stand out or detract from more important text.
That only works with black text on white background (or white text on black background) since the contrast is already really high there, so the gray text keeps being very readable. But with white text on a somehow light blue background I really can't see it working, and it kinda doesn't work in the mockup too.

[au]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:13 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Mors wrote:
Kritter wrote:
But those buttons don't fit with the rest of the site, they're rounded and the border is really thick.
I probably shoud've made it a bit less rounded overall but I really can't see how it wouldn't fit with the rest, especially the outlines. If you were talking about colors I'd understand since Hylian used wrong classes for that.

Kritter wrote:
I disagree with that. For example, having the date on an update is far less important than the update itself. You still need to know when the update was, so rather than removing it entirely, I have it less bright than the content of the update itself. It's readable if you need or want to know it, but it doesn't stand out or detract from more important text.
That only works with black text on white background (or white text on black background) since the contrast is already really high there, so the gray text keeps being very readable. But with white text on a somehow light blue background I really can't see it working, and it kinda doesn't work in the mockup too.

The buttons don't fit because they're round and nothing else is. Maybe being slightly round, but even then they don't fit.

As for contrasting colours, I can read white on that blue just fine so I'm not seeing an issue at all? If you want to make a black and white skin for the website for maximum readability then I'm sure that's a possibility.

OR you can pick me some "better" colours and I can try them out in photoshop and see how it looks.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[kp]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:21 pm 
I'm number 1!
[*]
[*]
Mors wrote:
Kritter wrote:

Good call, I've seen it work in that case (to some extent), but once you add in other colors it definitely get a bit weird

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:24 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Guess I better dial up that grayscale.

Here's the new website design.

User page at mfgg.net

[kp]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:25 pm 
I'm number 1!
[*]
[*]
why are you like this?

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:26 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Kritter wrote:
The buttons don't fit because they're round and nothing else is. Maybe being slightly round, but even then they don't fit.
I don't think it's a problem at all, and they don't look as good when they are not rounded

Kritter wrote:
As for contrasting colours, I can read white on that blue just fine so I'm not seeing an issue at all? If you want to make a black and white skin for the website for maximum readability then I'm sure that's a possibility.
I didn't say it's unreadable, I said it's less readable which simply makes it look worse.

edit: really funny joke thank you

Last edited by Mors on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[kp]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:27 pm 
I'm number 1!
[*]
[*]
The non-rounded buttons look fine to me, don't see the need to round off everything.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:27 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Mit wrote:
Mit wrote:
which mario font specifically is being used? because i find this font to be a lot better in terms of readability (and is also the font that's used in kritter's original mockup)

paged or something?

I switched out the font. Thanks for posting it!

Will, the site's name won't change, just how we refer to this particular MFGG era

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:29 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Super Mario WTL wrote:
The non-rounded buttons look fine to me, don't see the need to round off everything.

I dunno, they feel like they don't fit the colorful marioish aesthetic as much. It's hard to explain I just don't think they look right.

[au]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:33 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Super Mario WTL wrote:
why are you like this?

It was a joke. Still, if nobody can give me alternative colours I'll just stick to what I have. I think it's fine when it comes to readability. I'm not looking to win any accessibility awards.

Mors wrote:
Kritter wrote:
I don't think it's a problem at all, and they don't look as good when they are not rounded

Kritter wrote:
I didn't say it's unreadable, I said it's less readable which simply makes it look worse.

edit: really funny joke thank you

I think the new non-rounded ones in that image look fine, they're nowhere near as round as before and they fit pretty well. The borders are too thick in my opinion though, not a fan of big thick borders like that. Perhaps some other elements could stand to be rounded off as well. The only issue I have with rounded borders is compatibility with older browsers but that's not really a bit issue these days.

User page at mfgg.net

[kp]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:39 pm 
I'm number 1!
[*]
[*]
Even your "joke" greyscale points out areas with poor text-to-bg contrast.
There's a few tools such as this one for evaluating contrast and other accessibility issues on web pages, but I don't really know of anything that'd work with an image. I don't really know what you're asking for, contrast issues alone aren't really 'change the color completely', just you know, adjust the contrast.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:43 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
How do I change the contrast without changing the colours completely?

User page at mfgg.net

[kp]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:50 pm 
I'm number 1!
[*]
[*]
Saturation/Value sliders probably exist in whatever program you're using I'm sure. If you want to go outside that, there's this nice contrast checker tool that has a 'lightness' slider. I'm sure there's other ways to tweak colors too, you'd have to talk to someone who knows more about it.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:01 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
But won't that.. change the colours completely?

And I ran a bunch of colours through that contrast checker, the only one that failed was the "Posted by Vinnyvideo" text, which was deliberate for the reasons I mentioned earlier. Even the light blue VS white

User page at mfgg.net

[kp]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:28 pm 
I'm number 1!
[*]
[*]
Kritter wrote:
But won't that.. change the colours completely?

Obviously I don't think adjusting those values change the colors completely.

Kritter wrote:
And I ran a bunch of colours through that contrast checker, the only one that failed was the "Posted by Vinnyvideo" text, which was deliberate for the reasons I mentioned earlier. Even the light blue VS white

Then that's the only one that needs to be fixed, for why I already said before

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:40 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Well I personally like it how it is, so if that's the only colour that's an issue then I guess we can call this discussion closed.

User page at mfgg.net

[kp]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:45 pm 
I'm number 1!
[*]
[*]
Do whatever you want, you were the one that asked for feedback

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:50 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I've taken in some feedback. I've nixed the chevrons and changed some of the lines on the top-bar to make it look cleaner. I played with the logo a bit, and I've also lowered the contrast between lines on the red sub-menu. I tried taking the lines out completely but they looked too "flat". I'm still happy to play around with ideas but flat didn't look right on the submenus. Really the only feedback I don't see as a big issue is the contrast on a tiny piece of text. I could understand if the whole website was unreadable, but I don't see it as an issue when it's a tiny part of a larget block of text, especially when it's designed to be less readable in the first place.

User page at mfgg.net

[kp]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:56 pm 
I'm number 1!
[*]
[*]
If you don't want the text to be readable, don't have the text there. It really makes no sense to have text you don't want readable other than like, spoiler tags or whatever. If someone wants to read text on the page, they shouldn't have to copy paste it somewhere else or view source or whatever else. I don't understand why you'd want a user-hostile design.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:00 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I never said unreadable, I said less readable. I don't see why it's a huge issue with you? I think it looks nice and I can't see the average joe coming to MFGG6.0 and going "I can't read this text immediately, I hate this website".

Still, I changed the value on the MyBB forums for the darker blue text to #CDCFFE which has a 7.07:1 contrast ratio. I don't think it looks as nice mind you.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 78 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic