Post subject: MFGG3's Official Development Topic
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:26 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

So, I'd say that MFGG3 is nearly halfway finished. This progress has all happened in about the last week or two, since the github repository was made. I've been posting updates in various Discord servers for a few weeks, but Dustin gave me the idea of posting a topic so here it is!

Screenshots

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Intro

MFGG.net is running on TCSMS (Taloncrossing Site Management System). It was a fantastic system back when it debuted, in 2006, but by now the bugs have long been apparent and it's been left behind by many web design innovations. It's not mobile-friendly, the design is outdated, and (one of my chief complaints) the forums are a completely different website; you need a separate account and all.

MFGG really needs upgrading. Mobile friendliness, one account for the mainsite and the forums, better content searching, etc. So, I volunteered to do the effort.

What exactly will MFGG3 be?

MFGG3 will do everything that the current mainsite does, but it will look and feel better.

Also, it will add its own forum system. One account for everything you do on all of MFGG!

This means that the phpBB forums (and the proposed MyBB forums) will become obsolete upon release. We'll keep archives of these and any obsolete forum iterations we still have backups of.

When will MFGG3 be released?

I don't know, but it's pretty darn done. In a couple weeks or so I've gotten this much done:

• Logging in to your current mainsite account
  • Registering a new account
  • Viewing updates, sprite sheets, comments, forums, topics, and replies
  • BBCode
  • Posting forum topics

What's left to do?

• Forum moderation
  • Viewing content types other than sprites
  • Viewing users
  • Private messages
  • Admin controls for updates, forums, content, users, etc
  • Update the production database to allow emoji
  • Posting comments, topic replies, content

Can I download and test out the site on my local server?

The site is open-source; feel free to do whatever you want with it. If you'd like to set it up, chances are you already know how to.

Credits

- Kritter made the theme mockup that this is based on and will end up closer to
- Mors styled the buttons

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: MFGG3's Official Development Topic
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:40 pm 
This is official artwork
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Can my Wario x Waluigi game be on it?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:58 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Auction Lemon wrote:

Yeah let me add that to the code real quick

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:01 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

It's about time we had a topic for this. It's nice to see progress progressing!

"MFGG3" was the same name we used for the IPB-to-phpBB upgrade in 2009, so we should brainstorm a better name for it. galaxySMS is a cool name, but that was Char's baby, and I don't think HD has used any of Char's old code.

Auction Lemon: That's another story for another day. That's a QC decision that has nothing to do with the software that MFGG uses.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:20 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Three guesses as to what his password is.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:41 pm 
This is official artwork
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
HylianDev wrote:
Auction Lemon wrote:

Yeah let me add that to the code real quick

Thanks really appreciate it.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:09 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Looks good! But will the mainsite and forum accounts be linked? That'd be the ultimate ideal.

Edit: Apparently I can't read.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[kp]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:05 pm 
I'm number 1!
[*]
[*]
Not really big into the visual style at all, but it's a start.

Are you building this with any existing framework or just kind of doing your own thing? I highly recommend looking into a framework before you get too far with it- you probably won't have to throw too much away, if anything, and some standard kind of code organizing will help make it more maintainable in the long run. I've used Silex in the past and I highly recommend it.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:18 pm 
12 years god help me
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I actually like this theme so far, nice and big and flat

[au]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:44 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
It's based off an unfinished mockup I made when we were discussing the MFGG3 design in the suggestions forum.

Spoiler:

It's not to late to give constructive criticism and feedback!

User page at mfgg.net

[cl]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:08 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Kritter wrote:

Hmm. If I'm allowed to... To sum it up, honestly, the current skin looks way more professional in graphic sense, while the one based off yours is a little bland and fancy, and could require some work to give it "advanced" looks, such as a 3D-ish look or some mild GFX that adaptes to the layout (we are in 2017). The challenge is to make it still look user friendly, without clashing. Possible advice to improve it might be open to interpretation.

User page at mfgg.net

[kp]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:11 pm 
I'm number 1!
[*]
[*]
Some big things for me:

- Text directly on top of patterns really bothers my eyes. Keep text on solid colors or give it a stroke.
- On that same note some of the text is on backgrounds that are a bit too bright, it bugs my eyes and I dunno if it'd pass WCAG contrast checks (i doubt you guys are following that but it's a good a guideline as any for contrast issues)
- the spikes at the top are too pointy. weird complaint, I know, but they just don't sit right with me. A less sharp angle there I think would look way better.
- stripes are too small, should be bigger and more subtle- horizontal stripes are fine I guess but it just looks too busy for a background element when the stripes are tiny / not subtle.
- whitespace just feels weird in some parts. like there's some areas where there's tons of whitespace and then others where there's little to none. Sections should be divided up by a bit of whitespace rather than go right into each other I think, it'd look a lot more comfy
- The Mario font is mostly good but its a tad over-used. Probably shouldn't be used for resource titles I think?

maybe I'm a bit picky but the small details matter a bunch for first impressions.

as far as the github goes, if this is going to be open source we really should get a README out.
this is a pretty good template to start with, and it even has a link to a good CONTRIBTING file. As it stands right now, not only do I not know where to start when looking at this thing, but I'm not even sure what I need to know before I start trying to figure out what to start looking at.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:54 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Old Yuanxian wrote:
Kritter wrote:

Hmm. If I'm allowed to... To sum it up, honestly, the current skin looks way more professional in graphic sense, while the one based off yours is a little bland and fancy, and could require some work to give it "advanced" looks, such as a 3D-ish look or some mild GFX that adaptes to the layout (we are in 2017). The challenge is to make it still look user friendly, without clashing. Possible advice to improve it might be open to interpretation.

Got any examples of what you mean? Not sure I like the thought of a website feeling 3D-ish.

Super Mario WTL wrote:
Some big things for me:

- Text directly on top of patterns really bothers my eyes. Keep text on solid colors or give it a stroke.
- On that same note some of the text is on backgrounds that are a bit too bright, it bugs my eyes and I dunno if it'd pass WCAG contrast checks (i doubt you guys are following that but it's a good a guideline as any for contrast issues)
- the spikes at the top are too pointy. weird complaint, I know, but they just don't sit right with me. A less sharp angle there I think would look way better.
- stripes are too small, should be bigger and more subtle- horizontal stripes are fine I guess but it just looks too busy for a background element when the stripes are tiny / not subtle.
- whitespace just feels weird in some parts. like there's some areas where there's tons of whitespace and then others where there's little to none. Sections should be divided up by a bit of whitespace rather than go right into each other I think, it'd look a lot more comfy
- The Mario font is mostly good but its a tad over-used. Probably shouldn't be used for resource titles I think?

maybe I'm a bit picky but the small details matter a bunch for first impressions.

as far as the github goes, if this is going to be open source we really should get a README out.
this is a pretty good template to start with, and it even has a link to a good CONTRIBTING file. As it stands right now, not only do I not know where to start when looking at this thing, but I'm not even sure what I need to know before I start trying to figure out what to start looking at.

I get your complaints about text on patterned backgrounds. Though as for the colours, that's up to personal taste I suppose. I personally wanted a brighter colour scheme than the usual darker blues that we've had recently.

Same goes for the spikes I suppose, I got the spikes idea from the Paper Mario website I believe, but I can play around with making them less spikey and see how it looks, that's fine.

I don't mind the stripe width personally but I can play around with making them thicker or even just doing away with them in the red parts and seeing how it looks.

White space isn't really my area, I guess it's up to the design itself to fill that out.

As for the Mario Font, I agree with that. I used it a lot in my mockup but I think it should be used pretty sparingly.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:46 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
which mario font specifically is being used? because i find this font to be a lot better in terms of readability (and is also the font that's used in kritter's original mockup)

[kp]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:52 pm 
I'm number 1!
[*]
[*]
Kritter wrote:
I get your complaints about text on patterned backgrounds. Though as for the colours, that's up to personal taste I suppose. I personally wanted a brighter colour scheme than the usual darker blues that we've had recently.

Bright or dark color scheme doesn't matter to me (though I'd probably use a dark color scheme option if there is one), it's the contrast, especially between text and backgrounds. it's a lot bigger than just me and there are a good amount of tools out there for measuring if there's sensible choices being made here.

User page at mfgg.net

[tt]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:53 pm 
:D
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Anything you want me to test, I'm game.
Though I'm wondering how the board can look like its own site at the same time being on the same layout.

[tr]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:01 am 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
If you don't mind I can actually help more with the HTML and CSS side of the things, as that would speed up the development even more.

Also weird request but can I get a copy of the main site database too? This is very boring to test with an empty database lol

[ca]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:19 am 
sluuuuurp
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

are you gonna use the default avatar i made

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:21 am 
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Friendly Dictator wrote:
are you gonna use the default avatar i made

you better use his, it's the Best One :thumbsup:

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:41 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Super Mario WTL wrote:
Kritter wrote:

Bright or dark color scheme doesn't matter to me (though I'd probably use a dark color scheme option if there is one), it's the contrast, especially between text and backgrounds. it's a lot bigger than just me and there are a good amount of tools out there for measuring if there's sensible choices being made here.

Some text I deliberately put on bright backgrounds with bright colours because they're not as important and I prefer my eyes being drawn to other blocks of text.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 78 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic