Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 89 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
Community Fangame Project 2017, Putting the "C" back in "CFP"
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Community Fangame Project 2017
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:30 am 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Syaxamaphone wrote:
I formally invite Miyamoto himself to come to my house and fight me.

The dude's like 4 feet tall.

Wait why are we talking about fighting Nintendo again? Let's leave that to Sony and just make our vidya in peace.

More importantly PEOPLE if you voted in the poll, post a comment. Casting a vote without telling us who you are and to what capacity you're willing to contribute to the programming isn't very helpful in letting us decide which engine to use. This is a very important decision, and whichever engine we pick will have some huge consequences, so we need to know all the facts in order to make an informed decision.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:42 am 
Great Time Champion
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
P-Star7 wrote:
Mit, Dustin, and everyone else can do just as good a job doing any other theme.

It's funny you should say that, as I actually do intend to go indie after Super Ancient Keys is completed (though, we'll see how that pans out).

Until then, however, I fully intend to finish a few more fangames. SAK, this one and maybe Snifit Scramble. Maybe not Snifit Scramble.

He'd wipe the floor with ya; you've got no chance

Image | Image | Image | Image
Profiles
Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[es]
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:50 am 
I'm just a little adorable kitty :3
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Is this kinda like Super Mario War?

I could assist with programming, but I dunno how active I will be.

User page at mfgg.net

[br]
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:21 pm 
A updated Lovintendo
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
My Super Smash Bros fangame can be a good idea, if you want to help me.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:12 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I think this'll be a lot of fun. We haven't had a truly community-oriented fangame project in many years, and I believe a new Community Fangame Project is exactly the kind of thing MFGG needs to stimulate activity and interest.

I may be able to contribute ideas and levels, and I can help with music if you can't find anyone who's willing to compose a full soundtrack.

My main piece of advice is to keep this project scalable. Start with the basics, and resist the urge to give every character 400 frames of animation (not that I think we're planning on doing that). This way, if interest fades, we'll still be able to release an enjoyable game. And if people stay excited about this project, then we can begin adding the "nice-to-have" stuff.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:45 pm 
Great Time Champion
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
VinnyVideo wrote:
My main piece of advice is to keep this project scalable. Start with the basics, and resist the urge to give every character 400 frames of animation (not that I think we're planning on doing that).

Oh, believe me, this is so far from what had been discussed that it's almost hilarious.

Image | Image | Image | Image
Profiles
Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:32 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
VinnyVideo wrote:
My main piece of advice is to keep this project scalable. Start with the basics, and resist the urge to give every character 400 frames of animation (not that I think we're planning on doing that). This way, if interest fades, we'll still be able to release an enjoyable game. And if people stay excited about this project, then we can begin adding the "nice-to-have" stuff.

The GDoc explains how this project is scaleable. The reason it's an arcade game is so that we can just keep adding content on top of the fundamental systems until we've all had enough. We've got some pretty ambitious ideas such as a stage creator, a Mario Party-esque gameboard mode, a madlib story mode, etc., but with like at least these four programmers I think it's a feasible game to make.

Lovintendo wrote:
My Super Smash Bros fangame can be a good idea, if you want to help me.

We've already decided on what project we're working on (the details are explained in the thread and GDoc).

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:41 pm 
soverygrin
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I'd be interested in working on art. This idea sounds pretty interesting and I'd like to participate. I can do certain assets such as character sprites, portraits etc unless those are already taken care of.

User page at mfgg.net

[cl]
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:51 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
How long will the recruiting period last? 'Cause in this very moment I am very, very busy; but there's gonna be quite a "plot twist" next month~

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:03 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
zXspriter wrote:
I'd be interested in working on art. This idea sounds pretty interesting and I'd like to participate. I can do certain assets such as character sprites, portraits etc unless those are already taken care of.

You're totally welcome to work on those if you want. Just add your name to the GDoc linked in the thread.

Black Serafuku wrote:
How long will the recruiting period last? 'Cause in this very moment I am very, very busy; but there's gonna be quite a "plot twist" next month~

Well, that's hard to predict. Right now the focus is on figuring out who our Directors are gonna be (specifically Coding Director right now). I was hoping that progress would be made on that today, but it looks like it'll take longer. I reckon that, based on the way things are going, we'll have all the prep work for the game done by the end of this week. However, it is very unlikely in my opinion that the game will be completed by the end of this month, so you'll surely have an opportunity to hop on mid-development. It's just that you might have a hard time getting big changes made to the game.

I'm pretty sure that there's no "recruitment period", though. People can get on and off this train whenever. It might end up being something of a revolving door group.

User page at mfgg.net

[cl]
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:08 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Well, if that's the case, I will probably make something to show (that is related to the things I'm busy at) by this week before I can apply for anything (I have plans for something big), because words won't give much meaning if they have no proof.

Also,

Syaxamaphone wrote:

This made my day. You're such a badass!!

don't forget the male weak point

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:18 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Right now, the only people who have expressed interest in being a Programming Director is me and Dustinvgmaster. If you're interested in applying for this position, you should throw your name out here soon. As I understand it, the community will then vote on which applicant should manage the coding (whatever kind of vote it is will probably start tomorrow, I should think).

The responsibilities of a Programming Director were discussed earlier today on the Discord server, and we came to conclude that he has these jobs:
* Making programming decisions when the team is indecisive
* Assigning tasks to the other programmers
* Mediate dissent between other programmers
* Manage the scheduling of code-related development
(probably this includes designating deadlines)
* Programming the base engine
(This is not necessary, but some folks may expect it)

Keep in mind that you don't need to participate in the actual coding even if you are the Programming Director. It is a managerial position, not a technical one, and while you're welcome to do both, it is not necessary.

Also worth noting is that in the upcoming days, polls for the Art Director and Sound Director will also be held. So please toss your name in this thread if you're interested in any Director position, because we need applicants. Directors are necessary for smooth development of this fangame, and there's no harm in trying to get elected.

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:14 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I'm not 100% sure. I mean, it's not something I can't do, but I want to focus on my projects.

But I also want to contribute this more than just programming the UI.

[us]
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:18 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Mors wrote:
IBut I also want to contribute this more than just programming the UI.

If you can code online stuff or an imported-skin system that would be awesome.

User page at mfgg.net

[cl]
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:18 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Willsaber wrote:
Also worth noting is that in the upcoming days, polls for the Art Director and Sound Director will also be held. So please toss your name in this thread if you're interested in any Director position

If it's in the upcoming days, then I hereby apply for Sound Director right away. Music is something I'm pretty big into, and although you all know I messed it up really bad at some point, I've managed to fill the gaps; and now I can as well fill the gaps in just any music piece to ensure we get the best experience when it is played. Other than just finding flaws, I could as well tell what can be done about it, or even fix them myself to make up in case the sound contributors have gone absent. I am pretty familiar with basic parameters such as tuning, volume, tempo; and other than just working with compositions featuring things like melodies, harmonies, beats, I can make use of effects such as pitch bends, vibratos, crescendos, manipulate oscillation or add automation tracks to monitor the entire mapping of the desired effect. I can do SFX as well, but I'll leave it as later choice, considering Heraga would have more disposition to make it while I would still have priorities.

I may be busy, but music is actually one of the things that keep me busy. Like, for example, right before making this post, I was working straightly on a project with a voice synthesizer that will include a remix as well. I had quite a lot of time to carefully find my past mistakes and make it up. So yeah, I am fairly available for being in charge of this position, and it would as well be a nice excuse to make more music-related things because it would also grant me clear ideas of what feelings to express in the music pieces I work on (I already see myself playing the finished intense fighting game in the future, featuring the vibe we all expect), plus my works would actually be useful for something, and be a path to share feelings with the players of this CFP.

I will have something to show soon (will also make brand new art/music thread) and so you will see why I think it would be fit for me to become Sound Director. I will be in the Discord group at that point to give more info regarding the matter~

EDIT: added missing words

Last edited by Old Yuanxian on Wed May 17, 2017 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:28 am 
C# Programmer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
It doesn't make much sense to hold a community poll for the directors. That should be decided among those who work on the game.

Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl

[cl]
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:49 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
TheShyGuy wrote:
It doesn't make much sense to hold a community poll for the directors. That should be decided among those who work on the game.

I agree. Polls can be useful for helping making a veredict with its stadistics feature, but they definitely aren't something you can depend on~

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:23 am 
I WANT YOU FOR MFGG CFP 2017
Attention all MFGGers!

The 2017 MFGG Community Fangame Project needs directors! In total, we need three: one for programming, one for art, and one for sound! And it's up to you to apply!

Being a director is tough. That's why there's a few prerequisites you should follow for ease of contact and accountability-

1. Join the Discord server so you can be easily reached via instant messaging!
  2. Be prepared to do a decent amount of thinking and collaborating with not just your respective contributors, but directors and contributors in other fields as well!
  3. Be resourceful- Manage your contributors wisely to split up the workload and streamline the game's production!
  4. Don't apply for a field you have little to no experience in. You don't need to be a master, but you should have a firm grasp on how to handle content creation in your respective field!

Each field's director will be voted in by the game's contributors. You can become a contributor yourself by signing up on the Design Document!

The first director we're looking for is programming director! PM your application showing you're up to the task to me, Uncle Samario when you're ready!

Applications will be open until Saturday, May 20th at 12 AM EST! That means you have all day Thursday and Friday to apply! Afterwards, another post will be made directing contributors where to go to cast their vote based on the applicants submitted.

Thank you for your time, and God bless MFGG!

[tw]
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:12 am 
福瑞退化者
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I am not too sure if programming department is still looking for programmer because sign me up!

Scope of abilities:
- coding optimizations such as limitations on resources usage
- organized coding habit
- general physics coding
- data structure coding
- some shader experience like palette swapping
- communication with a web server that is using PHP
- excellent coding workarounds

Out of scope:
- 3D related coding
- trigonometry
- advanced shader

Speaking about solid moving platforms, it isn't that hard to be honest. What's challenging is curved slopes, I do know the concept of execute such thing but my mathematic skill is not the best. Another interesting thing is that I have learned of how to code when multiple enemies interact with moving platforms (see Super Mario Boom I made last year).

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:20 pm 
[*]
Willsaber wrote:
P-Star7 wrote:
Who wants to make a fangame knowing that that is what they are thought of?

We do. Idk if the entire team feels exactly the way I do, but I don't give a flapping flicker what Nintendo's "parents" think about it. They aren't working on this game, so I see no reason why they should have a say in what we do. There is nothing ethically wrong with what we're doing here.

P-Star7 wrote:
Mario's parents are not asking for this, so I wouldn't want to give them this.

We're not giving them anything, we're giving you, and the rest of Mario Fan Games Galaxy, this game, for the fundamental purpose of making more Mario fan games exist.

Maybe some history will clear this up. The other day, VinnyVideo made a thread pointing out the declining amounts of Mario fangames here, and entreating us developers to think of a solution. This project was what we came up with. If we didn't make this a Mario fangame, well, then we'd be failing the purpose of making this game.

P-Star7 wrote:
I don't know about any of you guys, but I can't separate Mario from the company. My opinion of Nintendo has been poisoned with this and then my issues with Breath of the Wild, and I can't just support that in any part.

Most people see fangames and official games as separate entities. Their headcanons are certainly influenced by fancontent, especially when it comes to characterization, but as far as what Mario as a whole is, I don't think many other people have this issue. Moreover, if Mario fangames are "poisoning" your perception of Mario, then I think you issue is actually about the quality of fangames, not the fact that they are fangames.

P-Star7 wrote:
Mit, Dustin, and everyone else can do just as good a job doing any other theme.

I know they could, and I'm absolutely certain I could, but I don't want to. At the end of the day I'm going to make the game I feel like I'll be having fun making, and fangames are fun for me. They let me express my creativity with a world I love. Team projects always limit your control over a project to some degree (generally the larger the team, the less control you have), and this is a pretty large team for a fangame. However, the opportunity to work with these awesome people is enticing enough that I'd work on this project pretty much no matter what it was. Even if it wasn't a fangame, I guess.

So even though I'd prefer to make a fangame, I'd be fine making something non-Mario. However, earlier today considerations were made as to whether this should be Mario themed or not, and we collectively decided that it should be predominately Mario, so clearly the majority of the team wants to make a Mario fangame. You can posit all the reasons we shouldn't want to do this, and you can even substantiate them with logic and specific evidence, but at the end of the day

making a fangame is what we want to do.

I mostly don't have anything to say to you besides "I understand", since they can be chalked up as personal differences! However, this debacle hasn't poisoned my perception of Mario as a character, but Nintendo as a company. I definitely can tell that if I download something from MFGG, it doesn't mean anything about the real Mario canon. I meant that I didn't really like Nintendo that much anymore due to their treatment of fan games, along with some other things.

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 89 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic