Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 90 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Nite Shadow has resigned
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:29 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
@Parakarry

[tt]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:37 pm 
:D
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I've been hearing a lot about incidents in the MFGG chat, which btw I've never gone to... these seem to bleed into the board, and I don't think that's a good idea...

Well regardless, I'm in the building phase of a month long event that's sure to be fun and boost morale. Now seems to be the best time to need it.

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:40 pm 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Parakarry wrote:
I've been hearing a lot about incidents in the MFGG chat, which btw I've never gone to... these seem to bleed into the board, and I don't think that's a good idea...

Well regardless, I'm in the building phase of a month long event that's sure to be fun and boost morale. Now seems to be the best time to need it.

There isn't an MFGG chat anymore, per se (not including the OFTC MFGG IRC that has very little to do with MFGG). There's Jimmy T.'s and Club Saturn.

although club saturn is used as an mfgg chat whether dustin likes it or not

Last edited by Cap'n Coconuts on Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[aq]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:42 pm 
Founder
[F]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Gosh. And I've been seriously meaning to get back in touch with him, too. =(

Psychic Cyclopean Silverware IN SPACE!
Follow updates (among other things) on The Twitterbooks!
(if you followed my old personal account, this is a different one - follow it instead!)

Engine test demo and more @
EyesInEverything.com

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:54 pm 
12 years god help me
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
DracoHandsome wrote:
Spritey wrote:
Maybe artificially cutting off discussions before they get a chance to resolve is just as bad an idea as it always has been

I'm not sure where you've been since 1990, but 30 years of Internet have proven not one single discussion ever "resolves" from a non-resolved state.

It happens on MW all the time, shrug. You let people duke it out until they're tired of it, and everyone learns something. This is how every social media site works. One of the reasons forums are so behind the times is because they try to create this pristine environment where everyone loves each other, and the legitimacy of the discussions suffers as a result. Moderators shut down discussions when people start to get angry at each other, which just allows the anger to fester and never be dealt with. Things have always been done this way and it has never worked.

Also: viewtopic.php?p=501155#p501155

If any of these quotes from Nite Shadow are real, which I'm guessing they are, the guy really shouldn't be an admin. Talk about a power trip. It's a Mario forum for chrissake.

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:56 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
DracoHandsome wrote:
I'm not sure where you've been since 1990, but 30 years of Internet have proven not one single discussion ever "resolves" from a non-resolved state.

This is objectively false.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:56 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
They're real.

[at]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:33 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
So, after getting some backstory, this is still pretty sad.
I can see the complaints about Nite's authorative tone, and I partially agree (especially about the quick warnings), but Nite was essentially a good guy and it's very sad to see him leave MFGG. I think this could've all been talked out, if given the chance.

Apparently people are also unhappy with my own administrating. I'm not going to resign any time soon (sorry!), but if you have any concerns with me feel free to talk it out with me. I don't mind if you talk about me behind my back, but I also like to solve conflicts directly - especially because grudges growing behind someone's back often happen due to mere misunderstandings. It's important to get along.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[tt]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:09 pm 
:D
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
So like, when are you supposed to lock threads? Isn't the point of that to stop things from getting out of hand?
I wanted to start a thread discussing guns and their issues, but I knew that at some point things would roll out of control.
I once started a thread talking about how there's a Sonic Movie coming out, but it devolved into insults and it got locked.

Those are all reasons to lock threads, right?

[br]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:20 pm 
Not a bird
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
But what I see is that it happens when the topic can get back on track with a simple warning.

Spoiler:

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:29 pm 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I never voiced this, but I did find it rather annoying that threads here seemed to get locked at the drop of a hat. There were at least two discussions I was involved in where someone locked the topic as soon as there was even the slightest hint at something resembling anything other than perfect harmony. I don't think this is a proper way to operate a message board. Disagreements are normal and shutting down discussion because of disagreements, or because the topic is going in an unintended direction, just makes you look like an intolerant authoritarian.

That said, this wasn't something I exclusively attributed to Nite Shadow. I attributed this kind of moderation to the entire MFGG staff.

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:30 pm 
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
incoming wall of controversial text and other garbage

This is definitely an unfortunate occurrence, and MFGG has lost a long-time member and contributor... but I can't say with much honesty that Nite Shadow was a good staffer. Perhaps he was a good Wiki SysOp, I wasn't really around for that, but all I saw with his actions as a moderator (and I suppose an admin, but here on MFGG the mods are more like admins and beyond that it's just secret discussion that nobody can really attribute any specific things to) were of someone who felt more at interest to stifle discussion and conversation by locking threads prematurely - not only is this often to the detriment of actual discussion but moreover it just frustrated several members who felt they were being censored for petty reasons. I feel like the last straw in giving Nite any benefit of the doubt was the signature incident. You can call me petty, you can say that technically it was NSFW (even though it's a classical piece of art that has been painted on the interiors of churches, hardly "unwholesome material"), but the fact of the matter is that giving me a warning (ironically, without warning) over it and not really giving me a chance to remove the image myself by asking politely left a sour taste in my mouth. I also lost my Ultra Happy Heart over that, so that was fun. Again, a dumb .png file displayed under my avatar, what a loss right? It's the thought that counts.

Point being that I don't think that Nite Shadow was fit to be a moderator of MFGG, let alone an admin. I feel like a lot of you demonizing Kirby's Adventure at any point during all of this fail to realize he was speaking for more than just himself, and quite a few of us had our grievances in private regarding various staff decisions and other questionable incidents here on the M-F of G-G. I didn't personally dislike Nite, but he did become grating with his overzealous use of the moderator tools to try and slam down any almost-sorta controversy before it even really happens. You lock a thread when it gets out of control, not before it even gets a chance to. Of course, some would even disagree with that, but I think we all agree that at the very least that would be going too far either way. Maybe you don't still, but that's cool. We're all apparently split on the issue anyways, so I'm not gonna pretend anyone's found a place of agreement here.

Now, prior to his departure, Nite seemed perfectly willing to work on his issues and resolve some of the problems we had with his moderation decisions. This was fine by the majority of us (in fact I think nobody really had a problem anymore at this point and were entirely willing to let him work on himself and do just that), and I'm not sure if that was communicated well on here but I do remember that by that point it was pretty much done. This... is where things kind of took a sour turn. Now Nite has left MFGG and according to some people I've spoken to in private, it was mainly out of feeling unwanted here and the whole mega-post at the climax of yesterday's events "calling" him out were the catalyst (evidently). Was it harshly worded? Of course. Was it rude to target one member of the moderation team? Probably, yes. Nonetheless, we weren't speaking to demonize Nite, but in an attempt to bring back some of the community to a site that deliberately yanked it off 6 years ago.

It's nobody's fault if Nite Shadow wanted to leave, but being up in arms on whether or not he was a worthy staffer is perhaps proof that he wasn't. A good staffer doesn't create controversy, but rather calms it. You could just as easily call anyone who ever complained about him (either in public or in private) a "bad egg" or even a troublemaker or a troll or a ****face (whatever colourful language you wish to use is entirely your choice in this scenario), but I can guarantee you the vast majority of us didn't want Nite to resign outright from being on MFGG at all and rather just wanted him to reevaluate what it meant to be a moderator.

I remember talking to Nite Shadow while I was still a Wiki SysOp and the topic of me being one came up. He said something to the effect of being mildly jealous at my rank, to which I retorted that it was "little more than a dumb janitor position, really". He countered that at least it was something. I think maybe Nite just wanted to feel like an important part of a community he's been involved with for the better part of... geez, going on a decade and a half now. I don't think he should have left, but I do think he should have taken the time to reassess what the forum goers wanted of him and to work on that. Just my two cents. Or at this point, it's probably more like... four dollars and sixteen cents. Still cents, though!

Last edited by HylianDev on Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swear filter fail

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:37 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
And so it claims another soul
A member from the start
The grim task of the admin role
and now he shall depart

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:33 pm 
Watashi Wa
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
He's just stepping down, he's not dead.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:41 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Yeah I know :) I'm pretty sure he'll be back in a few

Being an admin at MFGG is just a soul sucking monster

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:44 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

A sad day in MFGG's history. Nite Shadow has been a great contributor to MFGG's forums, mainsite, and wiki. There were a couple of incidents that could've been handled better, but that's true for anyone who's ever been in a leadership role.

I feel bad about all the abuse he received - I've never known anyone who's received as much harassment for such a sustained period as he did.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:06 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
VinnyVideo wrote:
I feel bad about all the abuse he received - I've never known anyone who's received as much harassment for such a sustained period as he did.

Admin Kritter from the past says Hi :laugh:

Really though I'd like to hear Nite's take on all this, here's hoping he comes back soon and makes a post acknowledging all the recent happenings.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:59 pm 
Always got a bone to pick
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Quote:
It happens on MW all the time, shrug.

Yeaaah I've seen MW's "good community" and I'm not really convinced.

VinnyVideo wrote:

Remember when FanGuy banned another moderator? (And it was my fault?)

Good times.

Image Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:20 pm 
soverygrin
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I had this phrased better, but I forgot what it was...
After administrating for years, it makes sense to take a part of your life for your own. However, Nite Shadow will be missed here on MFGG.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:55 am 
12 years god help me
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Yeah at least our community actually exists and isn't just a platform for a hobby that has been superseded by Mario Maker lmao

EDIT: THIS POST WAS A JOKE I LOVE MARIO FANGAMES

Last edited by Spritey on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 90 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic