Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  [ 200 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
MFGG Mainsite Development, Announcement and Discussion
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: MFGG Mainsite Development
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:26 pm 
Is that a jojoke?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
oh god that theme is so bright especially when in a dark room with a really bright screen owww

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:05 am 
Mario Females Supporter... full force!
[*]
[*]
HylianDev wrote:
reCaptcha fixed, and you should all be able to post now

I tested with Kritter's permissions via the control panel and it worked

@kritter: there'll be an MFGG theme soon

Just one question: are there any plans to possibly change the "Topic Listing" presentation on that theme to what being shown now for these forums? Just wondering since I still find the presentation for these forums to still be better.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:30 am 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

There are no plans, but I can consider doing something about it if I know more about what it is you like about the current listing.

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:09 pm 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
It looks like that new theme has at least one instance of a gratuitous JavaScript requirement in the form of some sort of user menu on the top-right. There is a way to implement a sort of mouse-over menu with CSS. This website uses one of those:

http://channelawesome.com

Automatic JavaScript execution is bloated, insecure, and antithetical to liberty, so I think any website that doesn't need to require JavaScript shouldn't do so. JavaScript should only be used for optional flair, or for cases where something absolutely can't be done another way.

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:22 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

What's going on with MFGG3?

Well, I got a job, and after that, development on MFGG3 slowed to a halt. But I'm finding more time and motivation lately to work on it.

What do we know?
  • TCSMS submissions will carry over to MFGG3
  • TCSMS accounts will carry over, but you will not be able to log into them, you can only link them to your forum account. The forum account will be your actual active account
  • Reviews will now be 1 through 5
  • A comments thread for content submitters to talk privately with the staff. Finally! Good communication between the staff and the submitter! No more confusion or being left in the dark about your submission!
  • Searching for content will be MUCH easier. You'll be able to search for content with an intuitive tag system (examples A, B, C).
  • Following users and submissions for updates/new content

What is possible?
  • Dropping phpBB. We might get rid of the current forum system, and accounts and posts may or may not carry over. I know starting over again would be a chore, but honestly it seems like an appropriate time to do it, considering that this will be the biggest new MFGG age since last decade when MFGG 2 happened.
  • Liking forum posts!
  • Thumbs up/down on submissions
  • Browsing ZIP files on the site, without downloading them. I'm going to look into the possibility. Sometimes you just want one sound effect. I know it's annoying to download a ZIP and rummage through it!
  • And more

onpon4 wrote:
It looks like that new theme has at least one instance of a gratuitous JavaScript requirement in the form of some sort of user menu on the top-right. There is a way to implement a sort of mouse-over menu with CSS.

I looked into this. The current model of the mainsite theme uses no JavaScript for navigation!

Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:28 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
So, I have a question here. How are we going to link TCSMS accounts to our forum accounts? Are we going to link them by using the password of our TCSMS account, or something like that?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:38 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Yes, the password. You're gonna have to remember it. If there's a case where you really can't remember it, the staff can try to find a way to prove that you owned the account. This can be done with email addresses, any other logs TCSMS might've had (IP addresses, security questions if it has that?) or just if we "know" that you owned that account.

Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:51 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Oh, okay. Though, I have another question. If we are going to drop off phpBB, then will there be an archive that contains all of the posts and accounts in this version of the forums (if posts and accounts don't get carried over, that is), or will all of this version of the MFGG forums become deleted for good?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:03 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

This forum will be archived just like the forums of the past :)

Unfortunately, the old archives got corrupted, I believe when the server switch happened.

Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:11 pm 
[RII]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
If you were going to drop phpBB, what would you replace it with?

(Two answers I don't want to hear: "I'd write my own" and "Discourse")

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:15 pm 
very dead
[*]
[*]
[*]
AcmlmBoard XD

*shot*

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:20 pm 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
HylianDev wrote:
Dropping phpBB

I would love it if someone would make a very good argument why that should be done. Changing the forum software sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:27 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
It's probably MyBB.
Cap'n Coconuts wrote:
Changing the forum software sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

:thumbsup:

(I like this emote.)

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:15 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

If you were going to drop phpBB, what would you replace it with?

Well,

Quote:
(Two answers I don't want to hear: "I'd write my own" and "Discourse")

Oh.

Writing my own is an option I put on the table because one of the routes I'm considering is switching to the Laravel framework, or something comparable. If I go with such a framework, I'm going to have to integrate the forum system into the framework to preserve continuity (which is one of the main reasons for the redesign, and is not negotiable). I'm also wanting to mod the user login/registration system a decent amount, allowing for things like social media logins and etc. The time and headaches put into integration and modification could probably be spent just as well writing a ground-up BBS that comes native with the features I'd like to have.

does anybody remember CTBBS, which was being made for MFGG3?

Keep in mind, that is just one option. Another option is integrating the forum system (be it same old phpBB, or something else like MyBB) into a simple framework I could write specially for MFGG3.

=========================================

In other news: a potential design I wrote up for the new mainsite

Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:48 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I would suggest not getting caught up in new ideas if the old ones work just fine. It's all good and well to want to make everything shiny and cutting edge, but things like PHPbb are still around for a good reason I would say.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:08 am 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

MyBB looks more modern than phpBB, but I also see how switching to another system could become complicated, especially when transferring badges. Also, the interface of phpBB could be improved simply by making a few tweaks.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:11 pm 
[*]
[*]
Yeah, just by checking the "community forums" at MyBB, the layout on the frontend (presentation wise) is way different as compared to the phpBB "subSilver" layout (which I've been used to on these forums for years). In this case, I feel that switching forum systems generally speaking (in terms of both the frontend and backend operations) is a bad idea and something that I wouldn't recommend either.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:16 pm 
[RII]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I strongly caution against trying to build a full BBS from scratch. These are the two most probable outcomes:
- You'll get mired in the additional work and never release.
- You'll release something that's missing too many core features present in the existing system and just make a lot of people upset.

Most ground-up rebuilds of existing systems fail. Trying to tackle two at once isn't going to help your chances.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:18 pm 
[RII]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Merit Celaire wrote:
Yeah, just by checking the "community forums" at MyBB, the layout on the frontend (presentation wise) is way different as compared to the phpBB "subSilver" layout (which I've been used to on these forums for years). In this case, I feel that switching forum systems generally speaking (in terms of both the frontend and backend operations) is a bad idea and something that I wouldn't recommend either.

The 'subsilver' theme was heavily modified for the look and feel of Invision 2, so I'd argue it doesn't look much like phpBB either (:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:12 pm 
[*]
[*]
Retriever II wrote:
Merit Celaire wrote:

The 'subsilver' theme was heavily modified for the look and feel of Invision 2, so I'd argue it doesn't look much like phpBB either (:

Yeah, I noticed the "difference" as well; and more power to the designers for trying to make the forum design "emulate" IPB2 in a way. Still, switching forum systems has its pros and cons, and if I'm not mistaken, if the forum system itself were to be changed at all, that's where the challenge lies because many of us were used to the phpBB system here.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  [ 200 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic