Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next  [ 200 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
MFGG Mainsite Development, Announcement and Discussion
 [us]
 Post subject: MFGG Mainsite Development
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:42 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

MFGG is getting a new mainsite!

This is an official anouncement of MFGG3's development, as well as a place to discuss your ideas for features. So far, here is what has been confirmed:

• All former submissions will be carried over to the new system
  • The mainsite will become an extension of the forums; you will use the same account for both
  • Former mainsite accounts will be dead, but you can link them to a forum account to carry over your submissions
  • Reviews system will be greatly improved
  • The site will look more modern and will be more usable

Here are some suggestions we've gotten so far:

• A "like" or "thank" button for posts
  • Multiple smiley sets
  • Turning games submissions into "booths" a la NCFC
  • Adding workshops like NCFC has

If there are any other suggestions you guys have on top of this, feel free to leave them here!

For the record, the mainsite is being developed by Guinea and myself, HylianDev.

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
 Post subject: Re: MFGG Mainsite Development
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:45 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Should mainsite avatars show up for normal users in their profile? And maybe enhance the mainsite profiles overall?

EDIT: Wait, I didn't notice that part, so mainsite profiles are dead? :O

Whoever did this is fired immediately

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:48 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Xandalf wrote:
Should mainsite avatars show up for normal users in their profile? And maybe enhance the mainsite profiles overall?

EDIT: Wait, I didn't notice that part, so mainsite profiles are dead? :O

the mainsite is not very far along in development. they will die, sorta; you won't log into them anymore, but all of the content will be passed to your forum account

Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:00 pm 
Always got a bone to pick
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Forget posts; you should be able to like or favorite games and all other site resources. Not everyone's willing to sit and write an indepth review but a lot of folks will toss likes at good games.

The problem with turning game pages into booths is that you either have to sorely limit your users or open huge security holes.

Really, the new web site sounds like it's pretty much a year-round NCFC...

Image Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[tw]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:13 pm 
福瑞退化者
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Oh boy new main site software! One more thing, does it contains mobile layout when you're browsing the website via smartphone?

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:26 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I will probably have some ideas down the line, but it's pleasant to hear that MFGG will finally have a unified account system. I've only been fighting for this for 10 years.

- Here's one idea, the ability to "follow" a game, like adding to to your wishlist, and receive updates when a demo has been updated or turned into a full release.
- A better way to view sprites, something more like the grid system that Spriters Resource uses would be ideal rather than a wall of scrolling.
- I agree that a like / thank button for posts isn't as imporant as maybe having a similar system for sprites / games. It'd be nice to have more ways to order lists too, such as most liked / least liked, highest average review etc
- A better or more streamlined way to narrow the selection for sprites. Drop down menus are a bit iffy. Same can be said for games, I'd like a clearer distinction between sections for demos, scrapped and full games.
- A shiny new skin that keeps the blue and yellow theme would be nice, especially for launch, to unify the forum and website with Skin 3.0.

In regards to other things, I think it'd be a great idea to have a "pinned" section on the front page of the website, to showcase important forum topics. This would mean there'd need to be some kind of mainsite / forum crossover PHP thingy but I'm sure this is doable. I have always wanted the ability to make things like competitions, important news and other things visible on the mainsite.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:29 pm 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
HylianDev wrote:
reviews system will be greatly improved

Could you explain this, please?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:31 pm 
Always got a bone to pick
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Sorting by average review score should also use an internal weighting system so that a new game with very few reviews does not jump between extremes.

Essentially, if there are less than 10 reviews, the system fills in the missing spaces with completely average scores and computes the average of the 10 (thus a game with only 3 reviews all 1/10 will be sorted as though its score was 3.8, but if it has 10 or more all at 1/10 it's sorted at 1.0.)

Image Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:33 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
This has been greatly detested, but I at least want to throw out the concept of a dislike button.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:39 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Review systems will no longer contain scores.
Also, just to have it said, a dislike button will definitely not be a thing, for various reasons.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:42 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
A dislike button is a bit of a nasty concept, though I suppose it's not much worse than having your game be reviewed with a score of 1/10 or something like that.

How will people know if a game is good without having a review score? A bit of transparency on how the review system will work would be nice.

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:42 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
DJ Coco wrote:

:huh:
But how?

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:49 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
OR you could have a dislike button, and then when you click it it says, "You can't dislike a post!" and does nothing else.

Whoever did this is fired immediately

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:49 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
not having scores on reviews means you have to actually read the review, which some credible reviewers do nowadays.

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:51 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Love the suggestions so far. They're all being considered.

DJ Coco wrote:

For the record, there hasn't been a set-in-stone way that we're handling reviews. Not having scores was one of the ideas we had. There will be further discussion and consideration before we reach a final conclusion, but we know that the current review system is definitely flawed.

Image Image

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:52 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Ah, if you meant a dislike button in the context of reviews, that is sort of what we were shooting for.
When I said a dislike button wasn't being introduced, I meant in the context of being able to like/dislike posts or other submissions on the mainsite.
HylianDev wrote:
DJ Coco wrote:

For the record, there hasn't been a set-in-stone way that we're handling reviews. Not having scores was one of the ideas we had. There will be further discussion and consideration before we reach a final conclusion, but we know that the current review system is definitely flawed.
It was universally agreed that the score system would be done away with. A clear alternative hasn't been entirely established yet, though.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:54 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I don't mind review scores to be honest, it's really the great debate not just on fangame websites but mainstream game websites too as to whether or not games need a review score, but I suppose doing away with them means some people won't have to whine and feel bad when their fancy new game doesn't get glowing 10/10's that they were expecting upon release.

I wouldn't mind seeing it changed to something like a 5/5 stars or something and rather than ranking each section out of 10, they just give the overall experience a 1-5 star rating and that's it.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:59 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
DracoHandsome wrote:
The problem with turning game pages into booths is that you either have to sorely limit your users or open huge security holes.

Really, the new web site sounds like it's pretty much a year-round NCFC...

that's sort of the point. the proposed idea was to have NCFC styled booths replace main site pages for games, then each game gets its own "microforum" or something similar to replace comments. then workshops are there to allow each game's development to be hosted inside mfgg itself, with the game's team given the ability to choose if they want the workshop to be public, read-only, or private.

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:00 pm 
I hate yellow balls of consumption.
[S]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
If I could make a suggestion, will there be a way to see any competitions currently taking place on the forums while on the mainsite?

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:01 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Blutorus wrote:
If I could make a suggestion, will there be a way to see any competitions currently taking place on the forums while on the mainsite?

I made this suggestion up there ^^^

Quote:
In regards to other things, I think it'd be a great idea to have a "pinned" section on the front page of the website, to showcase important forum topics. This would mean there'd need to be some kind of mainsite / forum crossover PHP thingy but I'm sure this is doable. I have always wanted the ability to make things like competitions, important news and other things visible on the mainsite.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next  [ 200 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic