Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  [ 200 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
MFGG Mainsite Development, Announcement and Discussion
 [at]
 Post subject: Re: MFGG Mainsite Development
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:21 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Those medals look a bit weird (maybe some shading would help it), but otherwise I like that design (though I would remove the "x stars" text)

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:25 pm 
Formally Zonee.
[*]
DJ Coco wrote:
Those medals look a bit weird (maybe some shading would help it), but otherwise I like that design (though I would remove the "x stars" text)

I agree.

User page at mfgg.net

[tw]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:27 pm 
福瑞退化者
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I agree the metal needs a bit more contrast. Besides it fits well for the new main site.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:27 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
It was a super-quick photoshop thing using whatever graphics I could pinch from Google at the time, but it gets the point across.

Obviously whoever designs the website can do it however they like, but this is my simple compromise for coloured stars and I think it'd look quite snazzy at the end of a review, even if it's not a very high score!

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:45 pm 
Formally Zonee.
[*]
I would not mind having the average rating appear right under game previews when scrolling down I just think It'd look pretty cool!
Example: (credit to Kritter and Mario Silva)
quick terrible edit. (i'd probably rate the game 4/5 though not 3/5 :P)

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:03 am 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Cap'n Coconuts wrote:
DJ Coco wrote:
@Coco: I'm not sure about giving three stars the bronze color. It's supposed to be a fairly good score, bronze makes it look rather subpar.

I think of 3/5 as average. as it's right in the middle between amazing and terrible. I don't understand how copper would be subpar for that.

See, THIS is the issue. 3/5 makes perfect sense for an average game, but with the newly proposed system, it's also what a good game, which happens to lack the difficult requirements to earn a 5, would be rated.

As far as I can tell, what a 5-point system presents is this:
1/5 - Terrible
2/5 - Bad
3/5 - Average
4/5 - Really good game
5/5 - Truly spectacular, and demonstrates artistic integrity

While the difference between a 1/5 and 2/5 may not be significant in most cases, the difference between a 3/5 and 4/5 IS quite big.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:17 am 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Willsaber wrote:
Cap'n Coconuts wrote:
DJ Coco wrote:
@Coco: I'm not sure about giving three stars the bronze color. It's supposed to be a fairly good score, bronze makes it look rather subpar.

I think of 3/5 as average. as it's right in the middle between amazing and terrible. I don't understand how copper would be subpar for that.

See, THIS is the issue. 3/5 makes perfect sense for an average game, but with the newly proposed system, it's also what a good game, which happens to lack the difficult requirements to earn a 5, would be rated.

1/5 - Terrible
2/5 - Bad
3/5 - Average
4/5 - Really good game

While the difference between a 1/5 and 2/5 may not be significant in most cases, the difference between a 3/5 and 4/5 IS quite big.

Not really. There's average games (which people would consider "good", just not great), and then there's great games, and then there's spectacular games.

At least there is some kind of separation, whereas a 6 and a 7 or an 8 and a 9 or a 3 and a 4 on a ten-point scale differ in very small ways. (And the separation is MUCH more open to individual interpretation, which messes up the system even more.)

Like I said earlier, these are fangames. We don't need to scientifically calculate the greatness of a game. Score out of five, it's fast, it's simple, it makes sense.

No more "ooh a one is too harsh" or "well I personally think it's an eight instead of a seven". If you want details you read the review text. If you don't, hey, this score out of five is simpler to read and grasp compared to a score out of ten.

Falcon Punch is the result of the Sun heating fists. It drives the Blue Falcon. Heating causes destruction of water into the pain, where it then hurts, creating rain. Rain creates flowing water in tears, which can then be converted into other forms through more pain.

scaled image
Mario's Sticker Stage - Finished adding Jump Stickers!, 26%

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:20 am 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Willsaber wrote:

Uh, no, a good game that isn't quite worthy of a 5 would be a 4. You know, the whole number that is one less than 5.

I don't understand why people are equating "good" with a 3/5 rating, even though it is right in between two extremes of quality. It's THE rating for a neutral opinion if there ever was one in a five point system.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:20 am 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Zero Kirby wrote:
Willsaber wrote:
Cap'n Coconuts wrote:

1/5 - Terrible
2/5 - Bad
3/5 - Average
4/5 - Really good game

Like I said earlier, these are fangames. We don't need to scientifically calculate the greatness of a game. Score out of five, it's fast, it's simple, it makes sense.

I can totally get most of your points, but I don't see what being a fangame has to do with how it should be scored. If you are getting at being a fangame should allow it a certain amount of freedom from judgement, then I'm not sure I see how it should be any more free than any other game.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:15 am 
Your local psychic.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Willsaber wrote:
I can totally get most of your points, but I don't see what being a fangame has to do with how it should be scored. If you are getting at being a fangame should allow it a certain amount of freedom from judgement, then I'm not sure I see how it should be any more free than any other game.

I don't really feel like getting into another argument again, so I'll just leave the remainder of my points as they stand. They have yet to really be refuted anyway so I needn't defend them.

I only support having scores because they're easy to catch at a glance, and a five-point scale is easier to understand at a glance than a ten-point scale. If people want more detailed and precise reviews, they'll read the text. Beyond that, a five-point scale would help eliminate the ambiguity the current review system kind of has.

As far as the text of the review goes, I think it should be totally free-form (aside from a field for the preview text) and not confined to sections as our current review system works. If people want formatting like that they can format it themselves - as it is right now it's kind of a "review formula" that can be restrictive.

Falcon Punch is the result of the Sun heating fists. It drives the Blue Falcon. Heating causes destruction of water into the pain, where it then hurts, creating rain. Rain creates flowing water in tears, which can then be converted into other forms through more pain.

scaled image
Mario's Sticker Stage - Finished adding Jump Stickers!, 26%

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:37 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Zero Kirby wrote:
As far as the text of the review goes, I think it should be totally free-form (aside from a field for the preview text) and not confined to sections as our current review system works. If people want formatting like that they can format it themselves - as it is right now it's kind of a "review formula" that can be restrictive.

Yes, I think with a 5-star system this would be the best way to go. Really the only reason reviews are sectioned off is so people can give each category a score.

The problem with changing reviews so dramatically though is how will it work for old reviews?

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:58 pm 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Zero Kirby wrote:

I actually think that would work out well, at least compared to the current sections we have. Story and presentation aren't exactly the same as gameplay but with the current sections I'm forced to put them there anyway.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:39 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I have a question about the reviews. If they are all gonna be borrowed to the main site 3.0, will all of the reviews that have scores outside of the 1-10 range (or should I say 1-5 range?) be set to 1/5 (or 5/5)?

If they are gonna be kept the they were, I suggest that Ztars should be used to represent the negative scores.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:07 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Q-Nova wrote:
I have a question about the reviews. If they are all gonna be borrowed to the main site 3.0, will all of the reviews that have scores outside of the 1-10 range (or should I say 1-5 range?) be set to 1/5 (or 5/5)?

If they are gonna be kept the they were, I suggest that Ztars should be used to represent the negative scores.
I guess since scores will be represented with images, they'd break the images, so I guess we (and by we I mean Hylian) will have to clamp them between 1 and 5.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:10 pm 
The Dark Warrior
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
DJ Coco wrote:
Q-Nova wrote:

I guess since scores will be represented with images, they'd break the images, so I guess we (and by we I mean Hylian) will have to clamp them between 1 and 5.

Wouldn't that be the least of your problems? I mean isn't the bigger problem is to reaverage the scores if existing games assuming if MFGG3.0 is going by a 1-5 rating system? Forgive me if this question sounds ******.

Also my views on what others have proposed:

-I do like the idea of the review metric being shortened to 5, but I do wonder if its necessary to reaverage the games that already have their scores given by the current half-working metric system. (context: Guinea has stated before that the average review score functionality appears to be somewhat broken on the mainsite and never fixed: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17650)

-I like the idea of each star being colored coded by the cultural prestige of common metals.

-On the like/dislike and thanking posts (or profile) thing, I would think that one would be mature enough to not get salty on whether their creations either get acknowledgement that is negative or none at all. Its more of a problem with a user's ability to take criticism rather than the system in and of itself.

-On lounge/PPP, I fully support Mit's ideas on how that section can be reintegrated into MFGG if it means MFGG becoming a proper community again.

ATTENTION! I am in need of coders to help fix Mario's physics for Mysterious Islandz. The game as it stands, is quite glitchy. If you are good at GM8 and is capable of reading FDE Exi's code, PM me!

Spoiler:

I am the true darkness. MFGG stands in my way!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:08 pm 
Mario Females Supporter... full force!
[*]
[*]
Wait a second, then if the former system for the main website itself is going to be "phased out", who's actually coding the new system? This is what's baffling to me right now.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:29 pm 
It's-Cam-Tro!
[*]
[*]
I just made the design of rating. Honestly I think 1-5 rating suits better.

(Credit to Kritter, Hero, and Mario Silva)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:18 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Do you guys watch The Completionist on Youtube? He rated games on a 1-5 scale essentially:

Don't play it, Play it, Finish it, Fini-pete it, Complete it

Notice his middle option: Finish it. Play it to the last level. 3/5 on his scale says that it's worth your time. 1 says it's not. 5 says it's worth LOTS of your time. 2 and 4 are more neutral, saying "it might be worth your time?" and "it might be worth lots of your time?"

Wait a second, then if the former system for the main website itself is going to be "phased out", who's actually coding the new system? This is what's baffling to me right now.

Guinea and I

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:17 pm 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
DarkSideStrike wrote:
I mean isn't the bigger problem is to reaverage the scores if existing games assuming if MFGG3.0 is going by a 1-5 rating system? Forgive me if this question sounds ******.

What I'd do is divide the existing scores by 2 and round up.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:19 pm 
Always have Jason Voorhees in your sig
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Cap'n Coconuts wrote:
DarkSideStrike wrote:
I mean isn't the bigger problem is to reaverage the scores if existing games assuming if MFGG3.0 is going by a 1-5 rating system? Forgive me if this question sounds ******.

What I'd do is divide the existing scores by 2 and round up.

Yeah this

EDIT: The overall scores of the games should be done this way, but maybe we should tape off older reviews, since we can't exactly reconstruct them?

Image Image
Bibby Team | MFGG3 Github

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  [ 200 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic