[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
So we've come full circle twice! The next Spriting Competition should start soon (sorry it didn't start yet, I was very occupied with life outside of MFGG), this weekend if you're alright with it.

But first, I'd like to ask you about something that has been mentioned before in the short time we have this new system, regarding the picking of themes:

Right now, a winner of a competition picks the theme of the next comp, even if the type of the competitions isn't the same, (so a Sprite Comp winner would pick the theme for the Music Comp, etc.), and it seems like this leads to people who aren't experts in the subject they have to pick the theme for, to be short on ideas because they don't know what would make a good theme for those who actually care about that type of art.

So the question is: should we get back to the tradition of old, where a comp winner decides the theme for the next comp of the same type? In our new system this would mean if you win e.g. a Sprite Comp, you have to wait until the next Sprite Comp and then you can pick the theme for that.

Downside of course is, that the winner would be able to prepare for that comp about 2 months in advance. Of course we're all honest people, right? But it still leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouths if the host turns out to be the winner in the end. But maybe I'm just over-thinking things. Technically you could also prepare an entry for any arbitrary theme and then just wait until you win once and post your prepared entry.

An alternative would be to have a community vote, like it is done in other comps like Ludum Dare, but I'm afraid our community isn't large enough for such a thing to be as much fairer as it would mean effort to put in for each comp.

This is where you come in. What do you think we should do, starting with this upcoming cycle of competitions?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Competition theme picking
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:54 pm 
Thanks SonicZetrex!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Honestly, having the winner of something like a Spriting Competition decide the theme of a Music competition is just, way too..off. I know that some people on MFGG are all-rounders, meaning that they are experts (or at least good at) many different fields. There are also a lot of people who's specialty is just one thing. (Take me for example; I love spriting, but I can't compose an I'm kind of a noob at GML.) So, having the winner of a Spriting Competition pick the theme of the next competition of the same kind would make sense. And even though that MFGGer would have a big time advantage, the community decides, and--who knows--they may just not vote for the previous winner out of spite.

That's my opinion.

I find it really ironic that the day after a holiday celebrating being thankful for what we have is a day where a lot of people rush to department stores and shop until they drop.
Refs:
Me (1) | Me (2) | Me (3) | Me (Shlyoh) | Mors | Q-Nova
If you sprited/referenced me but not on this list, PM me and I'll change it.

My favorite BGM:

[mx]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:36 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
It might be a good idea to have mod intervention on this type of deal. Probably looking at a member's badge history to see if they're a good fit for choosing the upcoming theme despite being of a different genre.

[11:11:51 PM] Stacks-of-Phone: Gato will eventually ascend, his consciousness transferred to hard disk
[11:12:00 PM] Stacks-of-Phone: he lives the rest of his life, a live2D facerig

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:45 pm 
Am I making you uncomfortable?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Someone good at composing music might not be great at coming up with themes for games. I think it makes sense to have the winner of the comp decide that same comp's theme.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:19 pm 
Don't look at your profile sillywabbit
[*]
[*]
[*]
Just disallow having the winner participate in the next one.

A replacement founder (and a few operators) is heavily desired! PM me or Raikyo to apply! Please specify Founder, Operator, or either being fine when applying!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:45 pm 
[mscproductions]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I thought the rule always stated that the winner of a previous comp could only decide the next one of their type. I would stick with that. However, I'm starting to agree with TiKi's suggestion that the winner of the previous comp shouldn't participate in the one he/she creates. It will give other people a chance to win something.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:15 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
wait, didn't we have it so the winner can't participate in their own comp more than once at some point? why not just do that, but make it so either a. they can't get another winner badge or b. they can participate all they want, but they can't actually compete?

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:16 pm 
[mscproductions]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I think right now, the winner of a comp can pick one of their type. BUT they can participate in any comp they want.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:17 am 
Real horses don't run into trees
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Mit wrote:
wait, didn't we have it so the winner can't participate in their own comp more than once at some point? why not just do that, but make it so either a. they can't get another winner badge or b. they can participate all they want, but they can't actually compete?

The rule is you can't pick themes twice in a row, so if you win the comp you picked the theme for, you can't pick the theme for the one after that.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:48 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
could do both i guess; have the community come up with a pool of ideas and the winner can either choose their own idea or use one from the pool

i fall into the "can't think of good themes"* camp so...

*(outside of laziness, that's the reason i rarely joined them lol, in case i won)
and, more recently, missing them, since i'm not that active anymore

User page at mfgg.net

[mx]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:25 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Xgoff wrote:
could do both i guess; have the community come up with a pool of ideas and the winner can either choose their own idea or use one from the pool

i fall into the "can't think of good themes"* camp so...

*(outside of laziness, that's the reason i rarely joined them lol, in case i won)
and, more recently, missing them, since i'm not that active anymore

He isn't lying bros. Anything created by the hand of Xgoff is the work of God. Xgoff is pretty talented.

[11:11:51 PM] Stacks-of-Phone: Gato will eventually ascend, his consciousness transferred to hard disk
[11:12:00 PM] Stacks-of-Phone: he lives the rest of his life, a live2D facerig

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:48 pm 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I think it would be better if they could suggest a theme that might be used for a future competition of that type, but not necessarily the next one. Also, the winner would not be told if his theme was accepted until that competition actually came to pass (at best he would be told that it was a good idea and that the staff would consider it). That way, winners still have an influence but the system doesn't encourage any potential cheating (or at least not as much).

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:08 am 
hi hello
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I've never won a competition, so I don't know exactly how the theme picking works, but I think it would be easiest to let the winner pick the theme of the next competition of the same type and just not let them compete in it. The only downside is that then people might not want to win.

Or something that could work (maybe) is if the winner suggests more than one idea, and only one is accepted and they aren't told which one will be used until the time of the competition. But the problem with that is some people can't come up with a lot of good ideas (I know I wouldn't be able to).

Maybe we could also try out the voting and if it doesn't work we can do something else next time.

Or we could just trust each other and let the winner pick and compete in the next competition of the same type. It's not like they're winning a grand prize or anything, so I see no reason to cheat or even care much if someone cheats (but some people do like their badges...).

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:45 am 
Real horses don't run into trees
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I think with the opinions posted in this topic, we can try to do it the classic way again for a while:
The winner of "X" Competition will pick the theme of the next "X" Competition. (And can also enter it, but doesn't get to pick the next theme, if he wins twice in a row.)
Just need to get a hold of GravityGames then.

If we (as in, staff and you guys) notice any issues with that, we can always revert or find a new way to do it.
I'd like to try out another idea in the future, which is that of a staff approved idea pool from which a random theme is pulled each time, and participants can put in their ideas. But that will need some setting up so we can't do that right away.
Any opinions on that?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:36 am 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]