[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Have you voted in the Minigame Competition already? There are some good games to try out!
If you have, please read the following post:

Last time we had a Mario Kart tournament. What do you guys want to do this time?

My favorite ideas personally:
- Since last time we played MKWii in honor of Nintendo WiFi Connection going down, we may celebrate the successful launch of Mario Kart 8 (2 million sold in a month) with an official Mario Kart 8 tournament!

- I still like the idea of expanding MFGG's repertoire with 3D modelling, so for a 3D modelling competition, grab yourself any 3D modelling tool and go wild. It wouldn't need to be usable in a game or pretty or Mario related, just basically go and make a model in a tool of your choice (text editor or GML counts too), submit some screenshots or a video or gif of it together with the model's files and you're in.

Suggested by some of you, with this description by lexiPemaG:
Quote:
I agree with Juju, animation comp sounds better than others and it's also more unique than others. Personally I would like to see some shorts that are made by MFGG.

Any other ideas?
I recommend those of you who have ideas to pitch them with more than just a few words. Write a paragraph with some details so we all get a better picture of what your idea is about.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Special Competition #2 - Discussion
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:10 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I'd like a MK8 tournament to follow up the last one. I think more people around here have that than the know-how for 3D modelling

then again, I'd also like gaming comps to be a regular thing instead of being restricted as special comps

[tw]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:34 pm 
福瑞退化者
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
What about Minecraft? I know that Minecraft does not require much system resources like those fancy FPS games and I believe most of MFGGers have Minecraft. Let's say something PVP or building competition would be fun and cheap.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:27 pm 
sluuuuurp
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Hypernova wrote:
What about Minecraft? I know that Minecraft does not require much system resources like those fancy FPS games and I believe most of MFGGers have Minecraft. Let's say something PVP or building competition would be fun and cheap.

I second the PVP minecraft idea. Could be fun.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:34 pm 
hi hello
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I would definitely be in a MK8 tournament (if I don't forget about it like it did the MKWii one). But I don't have Minecraft, and I don't know how to make 3D models at all...

I do think having a 3D modeling competition would be nice so that the people who can do it can show off their skills, but the only people here I know of who can make them (or at least have shown us some) are DJ Coco and Teddy.

Also, lots of people have Minecraft, so I'm sure that one would go well.

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:23 pm 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Is it possible to have MK7 as an alternate for those who have THAT, but not MK8?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:50 pm 
Stay fresh!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I think I'd like to do a Mario Kart tournament. I think there'd be a lot of people able to participate in that. If we do that competition, we could vote to see how many people have MK8 vs. MK7 and determine which game to do that way.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:14 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I'm fine with both ideas. Haven't played some MK8 in a long time, so might be a nice opportunity to pick it up again, especially when exams are over.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:21 pm 
Am I making you uncomfortable?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I'm probably going to be the only one to say this, but I'd rather have some other kind of special comp than gaming. At least this time around.
I also got the idea of an animation comp.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:06 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I agree with Juju, animation comp sounds better than others and it's also more unique than others. Personally I would like to see some shorts that are made by MFGG.

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:11 am 
hi hello
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

An animation comp actually sounds really cool! I think that would be better than having another gaming competition, and it's something pretty much everyone can participate in.

EDIT: I just remembered that next week I'm leaving for a month, so depending on when the competition is I might not be able to participate... aww man. :(
Oh well. I suppose there's always next time. :biggrin:

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:21 am 
Real horses don't run into trees
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I like the idea of an animation competition. Will put it in the OP.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:11 pm 
Stay fresh!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
An animation competition seems like a good idea, but it's definitely not something I'd do well in. I would like to see the results if it is ever used though.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:12 am 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
assuming I'm thinking of the same kind of animation, then I dunno. we don't have many animators around these parts afaik and animation takes quite a bit of time. if it's just like walk cycles or something then would sprited animations count? and if so then why not just make that a sprite comp?

I dunno. we're a mario fangaming forum with a community much smaller than it once was. would it be good if we had more people? of course! but right now I don't think this comp setup works all too well. not just this, I mean in general.

I think it's kinda dumb that someone well acquainted with a subject can't chose a theme if they win in that subject (i.e a sprite comp winner cannot choose the next sprite comp). it doesn't feel right. with sprite comps specifically I don't like how certain themes force people to chose out of stylistic preference. how hard would it be to have a sprite comp to sprite in a designated style? or an animation sprite comps? these sorts of things would help people practice because we've got like, less than 10 people nowadays that submit high quality sprites at a frequent pace and this would help people improve. obviously this can't be entirely applicable to other comp themes, but it's still something to think about, I guess.

[at]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:54 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
^You make a point, Mit.
Perhaps we should get back to the old ways of having the winner of a competition choose the theme for the next competition of the same type from here on out.

The Special Competitions were an experiment, but it seems that they just don't work out. There's not enough interest in MFGG to try something new unfortunately. I hear a lot of responses like this in these suggestion topics: "I want to do X because I'm good at X but if there's Y I won't do it because I won't win anyway"
That is not the right spirit for these.

User page at mfgg.net

[fi]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:48 am 
Why so serious?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I'd suggest Mario Golf World Tour tournamant, since that is much more schedule friendly than Mario Kart.

THIS IS THE PUN TAX! PAY THE PUN TAX! - Proton Jon

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:55 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
A drawing animation competition sounds like a good idea. The excuse animation takes time is not a very good excuse at all. Game making takes time as well as spriting but we still do them. Just because something is assumed to take a lot of time doesn't mean we can't still do it.

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:34 pm 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I think the animation comp might be a good idea.
The tools for animation are widely available, and abundant, and include the game creation tools which most of us already have.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:04 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
^You don't even need a tool. Draw a flipnote animation on a stack of sticky notes, film it and you have an entry :)

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:25 pm 
C# Programmer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I'm in for an animation competition. But not something thats restricted to a specific way of making the animation, like a sprite animation comp. I mean an animation competition as in .... the animation is all that matters, not how it's done. So 2D drawings, sprites, 3D, procedural, flash animation are all allowed. To be a bit more open, pure video filming isn't technically "animation" as much as it's acting/movie, but why not include it (given a sound dialog or sound recording by competition). If we're trying to get more people, we gotta expand in some places and be a bit more open.

The type of animation can be an animated short thats about 11 seconds long, a specific action (like a walk cycle), conveying an emotion, or focusing on some animation principle, or something- I dunno. At 11 second club, I think competitions have animators animate to a sound recording that consists of sound effects or a dialog taken from visual media (movies,TV shows,etc). Sorry for advertising another forum, but I've been looking for animation forums and I came across that one.

Last edited by TheShyGuy on Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 25 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic