[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]

Alright, so here's the thing. I've been seeing the wiki activity and... it just isn't enough. It's not a lot, either. ...okay, that was a bit redundant, but the point is, I think it's time MFGG should get some sort of initiative to give the wiki some good ol' fashioned loveer boy! Here we go, it's the...

WIKI SMOOTH JAZZ EXPERIENCE
Featuring "The Sysops"

Go out and make a bunch of edits! Do that! Yeah! If this event gets a reasonable turnout, and you make the most contributions, you will get a shiny event badge png! Whoa, that's totally radical and out of this world! Whoa! Whoa!

Some basic guidelines and reminders and all that:

• Minor edits only count for half a normal edit in this. What's a minor edit? Changing a word or two, fixing a typo, adding proper grammar, etc. etc. Basically, things that are helpful in the long run, but don't really add anything to the article. If you choose to make a minor edit without marking it as such, it won't count. Keep this in mind.
  • We're looking primarily for "wanted articles". Wanted articles are red links left by an editor with the assumption they will be created in the future. Alas, many are left and no one has yet to conquer a lot of them. Although I don't expect much, do keep in mind when creating these articles that you have to provide something meaningful to them; else it's just a waste of time.
  • Changing things is OK, as long as you don't go overboard. What exactly do I mean by "overboard"? Well, things like completely altering the material of an article that was fine before (i.e. it had nothing in particular wrong with it, but some instances can be judgement calls), trying to alter the various templates without knowing what you're doing. I cannot stress that last bit further. Do not try and mess with anything crucial to many articles without at least knowing a good bit about how it works.
  • Lastly, previewing the article can be your best friend. This goes hand in hand with the above. If you're going to change something like a template, at least have the common sense to preview your work before blindly hitting submit.

That should cover the ground rules and what not. If you have any questions, feel free to post here and I'll answer them gladly. :)

Good luck to everyone!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: The Wiki Smooth Jazz Experience
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:16 am 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

A couple more notes from our other Wiki Sysop:

The lists of categories and special pages are great places to go if you're looking for places on the Wiki that need help.

If you're seeking a greater challenge, we need updated lists of competition winners (in particular, the Music Comps), new pages for redlinked Game of the Month winners, and new articles for any notable recent fangames/members that haven't been created yet. And, of course, well-written tutorials are especially nice.

If you're unsure how to deal with a particular page, don't be afraid to talk to one of the Wiki Sysops, as Wiki discussion is always welcome and appreciate.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:39 am 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
*clicks on the proxy because the wiki isnt working,*
(Note to staff: I am NOT really in china right now,)

Okay, here goes.
Hopefully I can do something with some of the stuff here.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:47 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
harumm, I might have to do this.

[gb]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:52 am 
I never really was on your side.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I could try and help. I dont see why not. Its always nice to lend a helping hand

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:02 pm 
Proclaimed: His-own-man founder
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
my experience with this has been somewhat ok

User page at mfgg.net

[tw]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:30 pm 
福瑞退化者
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I love contributing to the wiki. I like creating custom templates and forms. So far I had over 500 edits.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:54 pm 
dataSKY - we connect the world
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I'm sorta surprised that no one has asked why my face is in the picture in the op. :v

But uh, this sure will be fun, I've already got over a hundred or so edits just from this month!

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:04 pm 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Madox wrote:
I'm sorta surprised that no one has asked why my face is in the picture in the op. :v

But uh, this sure will be fun, I've already got over a hundred or so edits just from this month!

:laugh:
Ha ha!

Ill be honest, I didn't pay it much mind.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:07 pm 
dataSKY - we connect the world
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

VinnyVideo wrote:
A couple more notes from our other Wiki Sysop:

The lists of categories and special pages are great places to go if you're looking for places on the Wiki that need help.

If you're seeking a greater challenge, we need updated lists of competition winners (in particular, the Music Comps), new pages for redlinked Game of the Month winners, and new articles for any notable recent fangames/members that haven't been created yet. And, of course, well-written tutorials are especially nice.

If you're unsure how to deal with a particular page, don't be afraid to talk to one of the Wiki Sysops, as Wiki discussion is always welcome and appreciate.

I got the Music Comp page updated, boy was it basking in the darkest recesses of the wiki!

Also I made a page for this event in particular!

[gb]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:12 pm 
buy my lovely game
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Sounds wasteful.

That wiki does nothing of value, it just talks about teenagers from half a decade ago. And there was never any drive to change that - you just have to know who posted here too much in 2006.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:24 pm 
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
You know Black Squirrel, this whole site is about making fangames about someone else's property. All things considered, that's incredibly wasteful, is it not? Really, it's not much of value.

But do you think anyone cares? No. We have fun doing all the sort of things that are spread around the site. Making games, competing in the competitions, and yes, editing the wiki. If you have a problem with that, yeah, that's totally fine, but there's no need to go around making people feel bad for having fun. Hell, you could say that it's wasteful to do. Not much value in going around internet forums and complaining.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:31 pm 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Vitiman wrote:
You know Black Squirrel, this whole site is about making fangames about someone else's property. All things considered, that's incredibly wasteful, is it not? Really, it's not much of value.

But do you think anyone cares? No. We have fun doing all the sort of things that are spread around the site. Making games, competing in the competitions, and yes, editing the wiki. If you have a problem with that, yeah, that's totally fine, but there's no need to go around making people feel bad for having fun. Hell, you could say that it's wasteful to do. Not much value in going around internet forums and complaining.

I agree,
That was a bit over the top BS.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:44 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I think what Black Squirrel is talking about is this:
http://wiki.mfgg.net/index.php?title=Category:All_games
368 Pages
http://wiki.mfgg.net/index.php?title=Ca ... ll_members
503 Pages
Granted I haven't gone through all the pages so I can't say how they compare for total amount of text/info but from the ones I have looked at there appears to be more info on members.

The wiki has a larger focus on members than it does games. For example, you have this guy. I've never heard of him. Apparently he made a game called Super Mario PC Challenge 7 but there's no page for it. You can however find the game on the mainsite so there's no reason for a page to not exist if you mention it.

There are also pages like this one. He hasn't done anything positive to contribute so why give him a spotlight? I'm not advocating deletion of pages and the problem goes back to how MFGG used to be. The drama was a larger focus than the games so the wiki can't help but reflect that.

tl;dr Create more pages about fan games and include more information on them than the average page has right now. For MFGG the fan games are more important than the author's web history.

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:50 pm 
buy my lovely game
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Vitiman wrote:
All things considered, that's incredibly wasteful, is it not? Really, it's not much of value.

Congratulations you missed the point entirely

That wiki doesn't spend its days talking about fangames, it talks about people. People nobody knows and the baggage that comes with them. Activity centres around updating the world about the life and times of forum members of years ago - your own flavour of Facebook - it bares no relation to anything this site is supposed to do. It's like a giant ego trip, and I don't understand why it would be important to join in and cultivate that (fun fact: a year off these boards and you start to forget people. Very quickly).

What is the wiki's purpose? Why would you go there? Because it just looks like a place for people to plug things (either themselves, or a project... even though theoretically you have a main site for that). It doesn't help anyone. It's not really a resource for anything (unless you're desperate for the history of a message board, and I wonder who is), and as a site built to supply resources to people, it's an odd thing for MFGG to plug in its current form.

It's a quick fix but again, never been a drive to fix it

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:04 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Jas in 2011 wrote:
The community history is something important, in fact it was part of a unique period on the internet in general and a part of our lives (and those of others) to look back on.

Me in 2011 wrote:
Personally, I don't see any reason why we can't have articles about former MFGGers, fangames in development, and tips on using GM, MMF, or C on the same Wiki.

Me yesterday wrote:
And, of course, well-written tutorials are especially nice.

If your main concern is outdated/inaccurate/useless content, fixing those issues is the primary purpose behind this event. We had nearly 100 edits, file uploads, and deletions yesterday - that's a fair amount of activity! If we can make fixing the Wiki a priority for MFGG's community, the Wiki will grow into a far more useful resource.

(Also, instead of complaining, there's nothing preventing you from contributing tutorials or programming advice yourself to the Wiki!)

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:36 pm 
buy my lovely game
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
(but you're creating useless content in this useless content deleting event)

you're not obliged to listen to my view, just thought it might be helpful because, you know, twice former admin, former sysop, idk. Not my concern - document the crap out of your mods if you want, but don't expect to get balance because that's not how it works in practise.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:15 pm 
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
What is useless content, exactly? Isn't it what we deem unimportant?

If we deem the members of a community important enough to document (gasp, what a shocking idea!), then so be it. The only thing wrong with that is the rather silly notion that the confusing in-jokes and such should stay, which would only be the case if they aren't explained. It's not like each individual in-joke has its own page explaining in detail why it's hilarious and amazing, so there's not much of a concern there.

Let's probably end this discussion right here, as I think both sides have had their say, and this isn't doing much in helping the wiki, which is the point of this thread. If you want to help the wiki, do go ahead and edit articles and (if you feel you're up to it) maybe even make some new ones! That's what this is all about, isn't it? :)

User page at mfgg.net

[br]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:46 pm 
fka "Doc"
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

why can't people let people do whatever they want
really, it's not worth fighting against if it's not even going to effect anybody directly
if he wants to make a WIKI revive, that's good for him. Maybe something good will come out of it, it's also something he can dedicate himself to. People like that.
If you don't want him to; well, tough noogies. It's not worth the utter keystrokes complaining about how it would be a "bad idea" or would be "useless content"

:V

User page at mfgg.net

[tw]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm 
福瑞退化者
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Whew, did a huge contribution today. Every single page related to me is complete. Plus some fixes on other articles.

EDIT: Well, I organized Drawing Competition article. Whew, that takes me a while. Also, there's a mysteriously </tr> tag thingy that I can't get rid of.

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 47 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic