[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Accepting/declining borderline-quality games is walking a tightrope. On one hand, approving poor but playable games gives new game developers an opportunity to receive critique and learn how to improve their work. On the other hand, you don't want to be accepting almost-unplayable games that are going to do nothing but get pummeled with 1/10 reviews.

User page at mfgg.net

[fi]
 Post subject: Re: DJane Coco is now a QC staffer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:46 am 
Why so serious?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I recall TD informing that guidelines for accepting fan games are notably less strict than, for example, sprites.

THIS IS THE PUN TAX! PAY THE PUN TAX! - Proton Jon

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:24 am 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Well, I think most of the flaws in games like Mario350's are obvious and really don't need to be pointed out in order for him to improve. If he wants criticism nonetheless, he can always use the forums. I just want to ensure a certain level of quality in the Games section, without the users of MFGG getting flooded by barely playable Mario games. Of course, games are treated less strictly than sprites, as they do not serve the purpose of making a fangame, but are just there for entertainment, but a certain level of quality still should be present. Or do you want to keep seeing games like "Luigis Journey" and "Boo's Mansion" in your updates?

I'm not going to decline every borderline quality game, or games that I personally dislike, but games that really feel like made in 10 minutes in Game Maker without much effort put in whatsoever that really play very badly, I don't hesitate to decline them. Rystar was so friendly enough to point it out - effort has to be put in the project, which is also mentioned in the submission rules, and if it doesn't feel like it, there is no reason to accept it.

I hope this argument ends now.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:11 am 
Great Time Champion
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
You know, after thinking about it a little, I sorta realized that the sheer number of games like that must be overwhelming, so yeah, they probably shouldn't all be accepted.

However, anything above that should probably be considered, imo.

(I'm not trying to continue the argument, btw)

Image | Image | Image | Image
Profiles
Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[nl]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:33 am 
Wreck 'n get stomped
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Congrats with your rank up, Coco! Now let's hope the QC will go a lot more faster than before (I'm sorry but it's a bit slow).

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:40 am 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
WreckingGoomba wrote:
Congrats with your rank up, Coco! Now let's hope the QC will go a lot more faster than before (I'm sorry but it's a bit slow).

Thanks! Yeah, I can spend a lot of time in the queue, so expect the process to be sped up. Everything I can vote for so far I have voted for so far.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[nl]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:43 am 
Wreck 'n get stomped
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
DJane Coco wrote:
WreckingGoomba wrote:

Thanks! Yeah, I can spend a lot of time in the queue, so expect the process to be sped up. Everything I can vote for so far I have voted for so far.

k, sounds nice!

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:28 am 
Quiet please, it's snack time!
[*]
Congrats on your new role, DJ. :D

VinnyVideo wrote:
Accepting/declining borderline-quality games is walking a tightrope. On one hand, approving poor but playable games gives new game developers an opportunity to receive critique and learn how to improve their work. On the other hand, you don't want to be accepting almost-unplayable games that are going to do nothing but get pummeled with 1/10 reviews.

What currently happens with rejected games? Do you guys provide them with reasons as to why they weren't accepted? Do you allow re-submissions?

Maybe if that occurs, you could suggest that they post it in Developer Discussion to get for further feedback for improvements and/or provide your own quality-improvement. Reject them, but be helpful about it, I guess?

Indie game developer from Melbourne.
Check out my developer blog here.

I also run a forum named Dashing. You wouldn't check it out

Per Fanta's request, I removed the Dashing link because Dashing is no longer with us. - Vinny

[at]
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:36 am 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
fantanoice wrote:
Congrats on your new role, DJ. :D

VinnyVideo wrote:

What currently happens with rejected games? Do you guys provide them with reasons as to why they weren't accepted? Do you allow re-submissions?

Maybe if that occurs, you could suggest that they post it in Developer Discussion to get for further feedback for improvements and/or provide your own quality-improvement. Reject them, but be helpful about it, I guess?

Thank you! Yeah, when I decline stuff I try to provide a good reason why it has been declined.

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:26 pm 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
DJane Coco wrote:
Thank you! Yeah, when I decline stuff I try to provide a good reason why it has been declined.

its how its done really,
in assisting in some queue work, ive seen that the reason for declining a submission is rather constructive, even if the submission was not.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:52 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Yes, we try to keep our "Submission Declined" notifications helpful and constructive in tone. Not only do we state why a submission was rejected, we also tell the submitters how to improve their particular submission and what they could do to get future submissions accepted.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:31 pm 
Real horses don't run into trees
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
^This, and we also give advice to show off some things in the forums if it would help the submission, or the submission is against the rules by definition (like, not being related to Mario).

User page at mfgg.net

[br]
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:45 pm 
I Have Returned®
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Yep, once when I submitted Sprite Sheets from Mario Party Advance, they got declined due to the sheet being unorganized.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:19 pm 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
lu9 wrote:
Yep, once when I submitted Sprite Sheets from Mario Party Advance, they got declined due to the sheet being unorganized.

Lack of organization in a sprite sheet can make it really difficult to use, or even identify animation frames of one action, from another.
offsetting in the frames can make things inconvenient as well. even if it is only a single pixel offset.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:54 am 
Quiet please, it's snack time!
[*]
VinnyVideo wrote:
Yes, we try to keep our "Submission Declined" notifications helpful and constructive in tone. Not only do we state why a submission was rejected, we also tell the submitters how to improve their particular submission and what they could do to get future submissions accepted.

That sounds like a perfectly reasonable system to me. What's the problem with that? If you're worried about poorer works getting through, then maybe make the quality requirements stricter? I dunno. *Shrugs*

Indie game developer from Melbourne.
Check out my developer blog here.

I also run a forum named Dashing. You wouldn't check it out

Per Fanta's request, I removed the Dashing link because Dashing is no longer with us. - Vinny

[at]
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:50 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Mason wrote:
Congrats!

Thanks!

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 36 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic