Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  [ 168 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: RESULTS - MFGG Awards
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:01 pm 
もう帰らない
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Chaoxys wrote:
Seriously, everyone stop complaining, he won fair and square.

"Everyone" is a funny word here. There's only 2, and only one of them (me) was complaining (note the past tense; I haven't followed up until now); the other is just arguing against arguments against the complaints. But just to be clear, I wasn't complaining that Psycho Waluigi won, I was complaining that the competition seems useless. There was a very popular game in (Psycho Waluigi), and it got the most recognition. That's fine. But very few other games got recognition, and I feel if it didn't have to be a single choice, the community would have voted for other games to be recognized for the same things Psycho Waluigi was recognized for. I feel the competition is useless because if there's one game that's just about sure to win most of the awards, how is this going to be incentive for anyone but the authors of the sure-to-win games (and authors of games in categories the sure-to-win game can't win, e.g. best minigame) to make great games? Obviously, it doesn't stop anyone from making great games (Red Scare, my 1337 game, Bloop Rinse, etc), but I don't see this causing anyone to do any better.

Now, I see the point about too many people winning if multiple games can win an award. That was brainstorming, take one, and it can probably be tossed out the window. Judging by the atmosphere, I doubt there will be further brainstorming (no one is open to changes to the way this works), and that's fine. I can't control what the community wants.

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:21 pm 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Wiiboy4ever wrote:
So..... voting by flipping a coin is fair?

happens to me all the time in the minigame comps.

why wouldn't it be? it was that persons way of deciding,
and who are we to say they couldn't decide in that manner?

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:55 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Nite Shadow wrote:
Wiiboy4ever wrote:
So..... voting by flipping a coin is fair?

happens to me all the time in the minigame comps.

why wouldn't it be? it was that persons way of deciding,
and who are we to say they couldn't decide in that manner?
Well I mean, deciding something on mere randomness, without looking at the actual content of the games. If it was something as insignificant as choosing what to wear (or as Miles pointed out to me, stuck between two options), for example, that I could understand, but we're talking about annual awards, things that in my opinion don't deserve to just take a leap of faith.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:33 pm 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I think his point is that, lets say you can't pick between two games because, after playing them both, you like them both the same, at that point you'd flip a coin.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:46 pm 
Real horses don't run into trees
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Aright, let me tell you one or two things about probability.

The chance for a coin to land on either side is 50%. If everyone decided their vote upon a coin flip, you'd have the same chance for both games to win. Psycho Waluigi won most of its categories by SO much that it's very improbable that everyone who voted flipped a coin.
People who voted for Psycho Waluigi did that because the game is good, not because they like Thunder Dragon.

I don't know what you guys want. Either it's decided by the people, or we have staff picked MFGG Awards (which are also people).
There is no way to make a vote based competition 100% fair and balanced.

About other good games not being honored, it's an honor to be nominated for a category already.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:55 pm 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Chaoxys wrote:
I think his point is that, lets say you can't pick between two games because, after playing them both, you like them both the same, at that point you'd flip a coin.

^this

Guinea wrote:
Aright, let me tell you one or two things about probability.

The chance for a coin to land on either side is 50%. If everyone decided their vote upon a coin flip, you'd have the same chance for both games to win. Psycho Waluigi won most of its categories by SO much that it's very improbable that everyone who voted flipped a coin.
People who voted for Psycho Waluigi did that because the game is good, not because they like Thunder Dragon.

I don't know what you guys want. Either it's decided by the people, or we have staff picked MFGG Awards (which are also people).
There is no way to make a vote based competition 100% fair and balanced.

About other good games not being honored, it's an honor to be nominated for a category already.

^and this

i wasn't saying that everyone was flipping coins,
it was just an example of one way people decide things,

and really, im betting the vast majority of votes were based on honest opinions.

Last edited by Nite Shadow on Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:59 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
@Nite: Well that would explain things

@Guinea:
Not sure if that reply was directed towards me in an entirety, and my point here is not probability, (and I know a lot about it). I'm saying that I'm not fond of the idea of doing that, not that the people here did it.

Chaoxys wrote:
I (sort of) stated that in my post as well.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:25 pm 
Real horses don't run into trees
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
@Guinea:
Not sure if that reply was directed towards me in an entirety, and my point here is not probability, (and I know a lot about it). I'm saying that I'm not fond of the idea of doing that, not that the people here did it.

What I was trying to say is that it doesn't matter if a few people really toss coins or pick a game for the wrong reasons. There are so many people voting that in the end the winner will have deserved it (more often than not).

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  [ 168 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic