[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I was gloating in the staff forum not too long ago. It went something like this

Ladies, gentlemen, your neighbourhood Squirrel has officially reached 10000. "What does that mean?", you might ask. Well, for the best part of its life, MFGG's content management system has been keeping track of site staff activity. Every time a staff member decides to accept or decline a submission, they get a "point". I have ten thousand of these points. In essence, this means about a third of all main site submissions have been checked through by me. Various glitches along the way mean that it's very much an under-estimate but nevertheless it's a milestone nobody in the history of MFGG has ever reached, nor are they ever likely to conquer.

To put this into pespective, this took the best part of five and a half years to obtain, and I've always been a bit intense when it comes to doing mundane tasks. In second place lies MegaTailzChao with an otherwise impressive 2591. Don't let that gap fool you - if you're breaking the 2000 (or even 1000) barrier you're working very hard. Remember of course that the main site queue averages about four or five submissions a day, and half a dozen people are checking through it.

But though I wasted the best part of an hour making that image above, 10000 is not a healthy score, and really it's not something to celebrate. So I have no plans to take it any higher. My work is done, and I'm retiring from adminhood, site staff... hood and any other hoods I belong to that normal MFGG users don't. I'm going back to "green"... except I was never "green", because I joined the staff before I'd invented the concept of "green".

The fact that I've been sitting under a red banner for the last year or more and haven't lifted a finger is an entirely different story, but futher proof that perhaps I should step down from the role. It's been fun, but after so many years the motivation simply isn't there. I'm not fifteen year old without a meaningful social life anymore... I'm a... twenty-one year old without a meaningful social life. Hurray.

I'm also stepping down for a slightly more obvious reason - I couldn't give a damn about Nintendo these days. I have no interest in the 3DS, even less in the Wii U, and its strategy of re-releasing the same tired old games is something I can't really agree with. And of course, this is mirrored in the fangaming world - it all looks the same to me these days. You'll still be able to find me, but I can't imagine I'll be extremely active. Everything's said that needs to be said.

If you have an uncontrollable desire to be a Squirrel groupie, you can find me on my blog pretending I know something about video games, or at Sega Retro making stubs about Japanese tat for the Sega Saturn. I also walk around in pink at Sonic Retro and might be responsible for the look of NCFC 2012. But no promises. 2012 is a busy year for me.
so, ttfn people, thanks to those who need thanking, good luck in the future and all that jazz

- Squirrel

User page at mfgg.net

[aq]
 Post subject: Re: Squirrel's Off
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:34 pm 
Founder
[F]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I have... 502 submissions. Granted, I had others long before the pie chart thing was implemented, but even still, I don't expect my total sum to be anywhere near the folks at the top - to Squirrel and the others, I salute your hard work! You've lasted here much, much longer that I have-- seriously, you're long, LONG overdue for a break from this ol' place.

While I can't say I'm behind your opinion about Nintendo, I totally agree with your claim about Nintendo fangames (though I'd use "exaggerated" and/or "intensified" in relevance to your opinion instead of "mirrored"). But I've already made this rant about fangame unoriginality several times and I'm not making it again. ;)

Anyhow, welcome to the wonderful world of having a life. We've been waiting for too long. =)

Psychic Cyclopean Silverware IN SPACE!
Follow updates (among other things) on The Twitterbooks!
(if you followed my old personal account, this is a different one - follow it instead!)

Engine test demo and more @
EyesInEverything.com

[at]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:28 pm 
Real horses don't run into trees
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I always thought the day BS leaves, this place will end with him.
Now, let's prove me wrong.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:39 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

As I said earlier:
VinnyVideo wrote:
Well, so long and farewell, and all that. You've certainly left your mark and then some on MFGG, for both better and for worse!

I partially agree with what you're saying about fangame originality - most of what you see these days isn't even remotely innovative. That's part of why my next full-length game (if I make another full-length game) is going to be a zany indie RPG rather than another Mario platformer. That said, it doesn't hurt to encourage people to make games that exhibit some degree of originality - there's no reason MFGG's best days have to be in the rear-view mirror, after all. As for official Nintendo games, I think they could afford to be a lot more innovative with their releases, but most of the time the games still manage to be fun.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:25 pm 
C# Programmer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
yeh after a while of downloading fangames from here, i realized they were all basically the same thing. Not the minigames, the ones that supposedly had a story-- the actual games. Most fangames i play from here were just levels after levels, not really a story. It was just alot of levels to play without a story at all, or a real motive. If it did have a story, it was usually presented in a horrible way and the game couldve taken the story out and it would still be the same -boring, level after level.

I also realized that just about everyone tries to perfect marios physics in their game from his games, i dont understand why... Of course you might do it so the controls feel better, but mario's physics arent the only ones. I never got why people wanted perfect or have the same physics from ---insert mario game---.

And then they also go for making the exact same things from previous games and end up with a mario clone with just "levels". I dont know why people go for clones instead of creating new things. Its a fangame, i dont think many will be mad if you include something that was never in his games, or any other game. I like what sherto did with letter mario - a lamp for a mystery box, and at the end of the level mario sleeps under a tree. Thats a nice change. Anyways my point is, people should stop trying to make their games like mario clones, and just make fun games that include fun new ideas.

i havent been here long enough to know black squirrel, but cya and gl.

Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:59 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Why haven't I like, not seen this before?

Well it's sad to see you go, Squirrel. Good luck in your future life! :D

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:06 pm 
buy my lovely game
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Remember not to take my comments as "FANGAMES ARE BAD" - fangames are good, and in fact, MFGG has some of the better ones. But since registering in 2005 you can't go for more than a couple of topics without spotting a sprite from the All-Stars version of Super Mario Bros. 3. You know, those graphics which are... nineteen years old next year? And the games people continue to aspire to create are even older - the Japanese release of Super Mario Bros. 3 on the NES was back in 1988, before most of you were even born no doubt.

It's interesting because back in 2005 the technology hadn't progressed far enough for the average joe to produce a Mario clone, so there was all these experiments with TGF and MMF which really gave MFGG that lovely feel. No two fangames were alike, and absolutely none of them felt like Super Mario Bros. 3 because those sorts of targets were well out of reach. The graphics and sounds were still mostly there for all to use though, they just... weren't, because that mentality of rehashing just didn't exist back then.

But I mean one of my favourite fangames is a remake. Streets of Rage Remake. It's fantastic.

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:53 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I'm only really on MFGG recently because somebody mentioned that there were wiki problems, so this is a bit of a coincidence; I still feel like I should say something though.

Having been an admin here and having had to deal with all the stuff you've had to, if over a shorter period, I can pretty safely say that you did a pretty good job the first time around, considering. I hope you find something good to do after this and I really wish you good luck.

You should let me know if you have anything you need another coder for or anything, I'd be happy to help out.

User page at mfgg.net

[tw]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:57 pm 
福瑞退化者
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Farewell. *Sniff* Hope you have a good life. We're proud of your great work on MFGG.

BTW, TGF and MMF are indeed far better than Hello engine. Every game made from Klick product have unique engine and gameplay.

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:27 pm 
[Witty Retort]
[*]
[*]
[*]
My hat goes off to you, good sir.
God bless you and all you have done for this community, you shan't be forgotten.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:05 pm 
Proclaimed: His-own-man founder
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Black Squirrel wrote:
so, ttfn people, thanks to those who need thanking, good luck in the future and all that jazz

- Squirrel

I will BS, I will ;)

Also good luck for da future, visit as as much as you can.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:51 pm 
S̛̜̭͚̗͚̪͚̃ͯ̑̉̾̍̎O͙͈̻͖̣͍ͬͨͧO̯̮̯̠N̩̫̣͛̔
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Today is a sad day..... Well, I hope that your able to enjoy life. And Farewell

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:58 pm 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
oh come on! not you too!

well, you take care black squirrel.
try to enjoy yourself.

User page at mfgg.net

[tw]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:29 am 
福瑞退化者
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Man, first DJ Yoshiman, then BS. I hope MFGG will stay strong.

User page at mfgg.net

[aq]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:48 am 
Cheezits are my favorite snack
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Goodbye Black Squirrel. I wish I had something more meaningful to say, but I don't know you as well as some of the other guys. Take care.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:40 pm 
[*]
It's been a fun ride, Black Squirrel. Good luck with the path you choose for life.

Quote:
I'm also stepping down for a slightly more obvious reason - I couldn't give a damn about Nintendo these days. I have no interest in the 3DS, even less in the Wii U, and its strategy of re-releasing the same tired old games is something I can't really agree with. And of course, this is mirrored in the fangaming world - it all looks the same to me these days.

I have the same sentiments of Nintendo as you do. I sold my Wii, am not interested in the 3DS, the Wii U got a slight "wow" from me at best. I also think Nintendo lives in the past, re-releasing the same games continually. Since I still have a collection of good Gamecube games, I got myself a used GameCube so I can still play those games. I see the Wii U as Nintendo's last foray into producing game consoles. If the Wii U bombs, I see Nintendo going the same route as Sega and becoming a 3rd party developer.

I am also losing interest in making fangames of any kind. After I finish up my two major fangame projects, I'm retiring from fangaming and will produce original indie games from then on.

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:33 am 
[*]
[*]
ITS OVER 9000. Someone had to do it. Also bye.

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:10 pm 
[*]
HmniND wrote:
ITS OVER 9000. Someone had to do it. Also bye.

一万以上?!それは何か間違いだ!故障だ!

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:36 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Black Squirrel wrote:
I was gloating in the staff forum not too long ago. It went something like this

Ladies, gentlemen, your neighbourhood Squirrel has officially reached 10000. "What does that mean?", you might ask. Well, for the best part of its life, MFGG's content management system has been keeping track of site staff activity. Every time a staff member decides to accept or decline a submission, they get a "point". I have ten thousand of these points. In essence, this means about a third of all main site submissions have been checked through by me. Various glitches along the way mean that it's very much an under-estimate but nevertheless it's a milestone nobody in the history of MFGG has ever reached, nor are they ever likely to conquer.

To put this into pespective, this took the best part of five and a half years to obtain, and I've always been a bit intense when it comes to doing mundane tasks. In second place lies MegaTailzChao with an otherwise impressive 2591. Don't let that gap fool you - if you're breaking the 2000 (or even 1000) barrier you're working very hard. Remember of course that the main site queue averages about four or five submissions a day, and half a dozen people are checking through it.

But though I wasted the best part of an hour making that image above, 10000 is not a healthy score, and really it's not something to celebrate. So I have no plans to take it any higher. My work is done, and I'm retiring from adminhood, site staff... hood and any other hoods I belong to that normal MFGG users don't. I'm going back to "green"... except I was never "green", because I joined the staff before I'd invented the concept of "green".

The fact that I've been sitting under a red banner for the last year or more and haven't lifted a finger is an entirely different story, but futher proof that perhaps I should step down from the role. It's been fun, but after so many years the motivation simply isn't there. I'm not fifteen year old without a meaningful social life anymore... I'm a... twenty-one year old without a meaningful social life. Hurray.

I'm also stepping down for a slightly more obvious reason - I couldn't give a damn about Nintendo these days. I have no interest in the 3DS, even less in the Wii U, and its strategy of re-releasing the same tired old games is something I can't really agree with. And of course, this is mirrored in the fangaming world - it all looks the same to me these days. You'll still be able to find me, but I can't imagine I'll be extremely active. Everything's said that needs to be said.

If you have an uncontrollable desire to be a Squirrel groupie, you can find me on my blog pretending I know something about video games, or at Sega Retro making stubs about Japanese tat for the Sega Saturn. I also walk around in pink at Sonic Retro and might be responsible for the look of NCFC 2012. But no promises. 2012 is a busy year for me.

- Squirrel

Thunder Dragon why don''t you become more active up to X
Also i Love SEGA :D

User page at mfgg.net

[fi]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:50 am 
I shine.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Kinda off-topic but
JudgeSpear wrote:
I see the Wii U as Nintendo's last foray into producing game consoles. If the Wii U bombs, I see Nintendo going the same route as Sega and becoming a 3rd party developer.

They have so much money (from 3DS sales alone) that they could make 5 consoles that bomb and still have enough money to make another one.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 24 posts ]  Reply to topicPost new topic