Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 43 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [us]
 Post subject: Music Comp #5-2016
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:53 pm 
Why is there a max limit of 38 charact
[*]
[*]
[*]
So, I was inspired by music competition #2 of this year, where the theme was composing music for a theme from a game where that theme doesn't exist, like in Mario Maker. Well, you know those nifty little remixes that play while you're making a level in Mario Maker? That's the theme. You can also include the melody that plays when blocks are being placed, if you'd like. The only rules here are that the music has to be from a main-series Mario platformer (options listed below) and it has to be music that's actually from that game. That's plenty of games, so you should have no problem finding a piece.
Deadline is Friday, December 2nd, so that should also be plenty of time. Let's get making! :thumbsup:

Last edited by Yoshi the Great on Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<span style="color:#1FB425;">It takes minds to make millions. It takes Trump to make billions.</span>

I wanted that to be my title but the code is too many characters. Oh, and I just realized that it doesn't even work anyway either. What sort of witchcraft does this site use, using [color=___] instead of <span style="color:___;">???

[cl]
 Post subject: Re: Music Comp #5-2016
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:45 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Well... I'll be honest. I'm rather disappointed. I never thought the 2nd music comp of this year was a good idea, actually. Picking themes that force you to make something in specific styles greatly limits the freedom because you have to stick to extra rules. I rather recommend picking themes that allow you to try your own style on things. For example, I would rather make something that doesn't sound like retro video games. I don't like video game soundfonts because they sound rather cheap to me. So... I don't know if I'll be able to make something for this. I really wanna enter as many music comps as possible but this just sounds too off for me. I don't even play much games so I feel lost, like... I don't know if my entry would qualify because I don't even understand how this works. Also, you forgot to add a deadline ^^

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:59 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

For example, I would rather make something that doesn't sound like retro video games. I don't like video game soundfonts because they sound rather cheap to me.

but thats not what the competition is about, the editor music from mario maker doesn't use a retro soundfont.

User page at mfgg.net

[cl]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:01 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
mysteriousclown wrote:
For example, I would rather make something that doesn't sound like retro video games. I don't like video game soundfonts because they sound rather cheap to me.

but thats not what the competition is about, the editor music from mario maker doesn't use a retro soundfont.

I would never know that because I don't even play games much... Not sure if you get my point but that's ok

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:28 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

was your point not that you don't want to enter this competition because you don't understand it? i was trying to help you understand but it doesn't really sound like you want to.

besides i don't see what your issue is with restrictions or challenges like this, sometimes doing things you don't want to do is necessary for artistic growth.

User page at mfgg.net

[cl]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:35 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
mysteriousclown wrote:
was your point not that you don't want to enter this competition because you don't understand it? i was trying to help you understand but it doesn't really sound like you want to.

besides i don't see what your issue is with restrictions or challenges like this, sometimes doing things you don't want to do is necessary for artistic growth.

Hey, sorry, I didn't mean that. I appreciate that you're trying to help me. I will probably enter if someone helps me come up with something, someone that knows all those games mentioned... You know, because I'm so clueless about video games... Anyway, I just wanted to say my opinion on limited competitions, and hope people can respect it.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:45 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
So, then, should I change the rules a bit? You can tell me what you think it should be. Also, just to be a bit more clear, since you said you don't understand:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WfDD3v1atgc

I meant those remixes played in SMM. The goal is to compose a theme like that of your own, for music from SMB3, SMW, or NSMBU.

<span style="color:#1FB425;">It takes minds to make millions. It takes Trump to make billions.</span>

I wanted that to be my title but the code is too many characters. Oh, and I just realized that it doesn't even work anyway either. What sort of witchcraft does this site use, using [color=___] instead of <span style="color:___;">???

[ca]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:21 am 
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Hexyuu Yandere wrote:
I don't like video game soundfonts because they sound rather cheap to me.

mysteriousclown already clarified but I just want to say that the Mario Maker editor remixes are the furthest thing from a cheap retro game soundfont. They're actually performed on vintage synths (or rather, emulations of vintage synths I'd wager). It's more telling in some songs over others, like the SMB3 Airship remix.

Anyways, this is a cool theme! Might enter it if I get the time

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:10 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Also, the deadline is Friday, December 2nd. That means a little over three weeks to compose something.

[cl]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:35 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I'm sorry for overreacting. It's just that... I had the feeling that I wouldn't stand a chance at this competition... Now I read all messages again and, I assume I have to make a remix of an existing song in older games? Not sure if I understand... but if I do, I probably know what to do this time. Please correct me.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:41 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Your goal is to make one of those remixes that are in SMM, such as the one that I linked to above (which is the Super Mario Bros. overworld theme), of music from Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, or New Super Mario Bros. U, other than overworld, underground, airship, castle, or ghost house. This is the clearest that I could say this, so I hope that you understand.

[cl]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:01 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
So, a remix but with many exceptions? I'm not sure if I can come up with something that is not an exception... What other options are available?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:40 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
They're exceptions because they've already been done before in SMM itself. Maybe I should change the rules so that you can do it for any game and not just the three listed? :think:

[cl]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:45 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Yoshi the Great wrote:
They're exceptions because they've already been done before in SMM itself. Maybe I should change the rules so that you can do it for any game and not just the three listed? :think:

Oh man, I would love that! I wanna make a remix of a SMRPG song.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:22 am 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Yoshi the Great wrote:

That kinda loses all the integrity in the theme. You may as well remove the comp theme entirely.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:47 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Not really. The theme is still to make a remix that sounds like the remixes used in Mario Maker, and just not any generic remix. I'll wait for more responses, and then change the rules to whatever the people want.

[ca]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:48 pm 
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Gonna have to agree with Willsaber here. There are plenty of other musical themes in the games SMM uses that aren't remixed for the editor, it's not like there's a limited selection to choose from. If you want, you could throw in the other 2D Mario games, like the Mario Lands or SMB2 as options to give people a wider selection choice. That's where I'd draw the line, though.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:46 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
Alright. The theme is to make a remix like the ones in Mario Maker, of music from any main-series Mario platformer game. This includes the original four, SM64, the NSMB series, 3D World, and 3D Land. (Oh, and the SML games too) That should be enough games.

Last edited by Yoshi the Great on Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[cl]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:12 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Well I don't really know much about SMM at all so I can't tell which remixes haven't been already made... Also, will you allow SM64?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:20 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
The only remixes that have already been made are the SMB, SMB3, SMW, and NSMBU overworld, underground, airship, ghost house, and castle themes. (If you don't know already, SMM composed new ghost house and airship themes for the games that didn't already have them) Anyway, I don't personally consider SM64 to be a "platformer", but why not? :thumbsup:

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 43 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked