Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 35 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [tw]
 Post subject: Re: Music Comp #2 2015 - THE EPIC BOSS BATTLE!!!!!! FINAL VO
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:10 pm 
福瑞退化者
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
MocGames, I do really like CoN's one but Moc's has the hardcore vibe.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:24 pm 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Can of Nothing wrote:
Since I felt the (unnecessary) need to be brief with my entry description, I'll take this opportunity to give my full thoughts on each submission:

Nite Shadow:
Starting out in major, stepping back into minor, and then switching between both throughout the song - overall giving the song a dissonant edge was something I found very interesting! The slightly unsettling intro definitely amplified this, though I think the fade-in was a bit stronger than necessary, somewhat working against what you'd managed to set up at the intro.
The dissonance of the melody (although tasteful) might be working against itself in terms of memorability, though. It, combined with the length of the song, makes the song harder to catch onto listeners. It's not to the point where I can't recognize looped sections while listening, which is relieving - but for such a rhythmically simple melody, it's taking quite a while to actually remember it.
The biggest blemish, however, is mixing - instrument volume is simply not balanced enough. Looking at the waveform, things like the guitars at 2:19 (and 4:04) are simply overpowered and cause a huge shift in volume. The cymbals often have the same problem, as well. Even some basic equalization of frequencies could have given more balance in terms of volume, while allowing everything you want standing out to stand out, and vice versa. Sample quality isn't exactly the best (especially the guitars), which brings the song down slightly as well (I personally wouldn't use sampled guitars like this unless for the sake of sounding unrealistic on purpose), too, though it's not nearly as big a problem as mixing.
Overall, it's a very interesting song, brought down mostly by problems that have nothing to do with the base composition. I wouldn't exactly think of it as 'epic', however - It sounds like a blend between an unsettling prelude of sorts and an action theme, which honestly feels like a slightly awkward mixture.

One uses what resources they have available I'm afraid, and sampled instruments just seem to use less ram than VSTs.
If you know of any decent samples, or soundfonts, I'm looking for some.
Thanks for the review though, I'll try to work on the balances better in the future, Would you mind shooting me a PM with better details on what should be brought up, or down?

I would also like to note to everyone:
I would much rather loose, after giving something my all, than to win by default. ;)

User page at mfgg.net

[se]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:28 am 
secret technology
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Quote:
I'd have to go with Aivenstruz_.

Wow! Thanks! I really appreciate the review too. Im glad you saw the idea behind the music. Because an epic boss battle can very well be the first, third, or fifth battle in the game. So it didn't necessarily have to be a rock song! :) That review does means a lot to me, might start taking music-making into account!

(Can you vote as a participant? Because I really like the organ in CoN's entry. The only problem I had with it was that the more solo-ish gituar sounded a bit too weak. If you can vote as a participant i'd vote Can of nothing.)

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:13 am 
Mr. Awkward's Lab Assistant
[*]
[*]
Can of Nothing wrote:
Since I felt the (unnecessary) need to be brief with my entry description, I'll take this opportunity to give my full thoughts on each submission:

Mocgames998:
I just threw this together in a few hours.

First off, I don't believe you.
Secondly, most of the articulation, arrangement (especially on the drums!) and instrumental quality is superb - If we were evaluating those alone, you'd have won by a landslide. The active and driving drums help to keep the song going all the way through, and the opening guitar riff (as well as, again, the drums) is fantastic.
Sadly, the song takes a slight change for the worse from there, in my (subjective) opinion; the orchestra hit and brass don't really add anything significant to the song, making it not a particularly acceptable substitute for a solid melody, or however else you would've kept things interesting. The noticeably low-quality orchestra hit works against the otherwise fantastic instrumentation, and orchestral instrumentation seem to do nothing but feel awkward with genres such as rock or metal, at least when it's just flowing, and dropping in and out like this. (I'd had a similar problem when starting out with my song; I tried going for a rockestral direction very briefly at first, only to decide that was a terrible idea.)
It disappoints me slightly overall that you chose to use the orchestral hit and brass - I figured they were a way to add 'epic' flair onto your song, but it just comes off as uncreative and shoehorned, especially in contrast to how everything else is fantastic by comparison. I know I'm being very negative about that, but it's because of just how positive everything else is, really.

Believe it or not, I really did just throw it together in a few hours in Sonar. Also, everything's pretty much just midi. (The guitars are played notes of one of my guitars saved to a soundfont, then played through sfz and some distortion effects.) Yeah, the orchestrated bits are a bit slapped together. But thanks anyway =)

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:35 pm 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
CoN it is.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:36 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Aivenstruz_ wrote:
(Can you vote as a participant? Because I really like the organ in CoN's entry. The only problem I had with it was that the more solo-ish gituar sounded a bit too weak. If you can vote as a participant i'd vote Can of nothing.)

As long as you don't vote for yourself, you are allowed to vote.

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:45 am 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I liked all of them but I think CoN's one is a bit better.

[fi]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:39 am 
I shine.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Nite Shadow

User page at mfgg.net

[nl]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:40 am 
Wreck 'n get stomped
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Can of Nothing

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:22 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
So, it seems that a few days had passed since the deadline, so I guess it's time to close the voting phase, and reveal the results, which are:

Can of Nothing - IIIIIIII
Nite Shadow - I
Aivenstruz_ - I
Mocgames998 - I

Well, it seems that the winner of this Music Competition is Can of Nothing! Congrats!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:22 pm 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Congrats Can-Of-Nothing!
And thanks for the feedback! :D

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:23 pm 
I hate yellow balls of consumption.
[S]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Congratulations, CoN!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:12 pm 
Is that a jojoke?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Congrats, CoN Artist!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:39 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
You don't see three-way ties for second place very often!

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:14 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
A belated thank you to everyone who voted - though I honestly thought it was a rather fair fight between the four of us. I didn't expect to win by such a landslide, really!

Would a moderator mind archiving this topic (and replacing it with the Minigame Competition, perhaps), by the way?

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 35 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked