Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 35 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [cl]
 Post subject: Music Comp #2 2015 - THE EPIC BOSS BATTLE!!!!!! FINAL VOTING
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:18 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I've been told that I should be the one to start the next music comp, so I am doing this.

I am not good at this so this is going to be a little short, but it has all the required information.

Here's the theme: EPIC BOSS BATTLE!

My favorite video game music tracks are usually boss battles. They have good beat and keep you entertained. You can't be a pro at making music if you can't make a boss battle music. So yeah, you should try this.

All you have to do is make a music track that would fit perfectly in an epic boss battle. You have three weeks to do this. The deadline is October 15. Have fun!

--------Update-------

Seems we have only 4 entries this time around.
This means that FINAL VOTING STARTS NOW!

Our entries are:
Nite Shadow:
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/rg44840 ... hantom.ogg

Aivenstruz_:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf6pUzM2wW0

Mocgames998
https://sites.google.com/site/mocgames2 ... ects=0&d=1

Can of Nothing:
https://soundcloud.com/canofnothing/sev ... -of-purple

Take a listen, and pick your favorite.

Last edited by Nite Shadow on Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Updated information in the top post l with details on final voting.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
 Post subject: Re: Music Comp #2 2015 - THE EPIC BOSS BATTLE!!!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:46 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Doesn't have to be Mario themed I take it?

Also, am I the only one who dislikes competitions being put in the news section? Nobody ever checks it. Perhaps an admin can take down the "NCFC Date Set!" announcement which is a good month over its used by date and replace it with the latest competition?

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:05 pm 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I didn't even know this topic existed until now.

Huh.

SO. BOSS BATTLES.

I assume, based on the wording of the original post, that you'll be wanting original themes. I suppose I should enter this one.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:21 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Cap'n Coconuts wrote:
I didn't even know this topic existed until now.

I only found it because I was interested in seeing if other topics in News had been replied to.

I've had an admin take down the other announcement and pin this one instead. Would be nice to see some entries now.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:02 pm 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Phantom battlefield.

I was shooting for a darker type of theme with this, in addition to something that may work for the primary theme of said boss's presence in an area, while doubling as a combat type of theme.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:26 pm 
sluuuuurp
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

oh man nite that sounds cool

User page at mfgg.net

[se]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:04 pm 
secret technology
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I have never really made music before, but I managed to make this, and think it would really fit a cool Mr. L / Koopa bros like battle!
(Made in mixcraft 7 hence the MIDI-esc sound of it)

I hope its epic enough! :whoops:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:32 am 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Oooh. I like that!

User page at mfgg.net

[se]
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:04 am 
secret technology
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Yours was really good too! Good job on the drums!

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:59 pm 
Mr. Awkward's Lab Assistant
[*]
[*]
I just threw this together in a few hours:
https://sites.google.com/site/mocgames2/Home/MG998-MFGGBossTheme-Comp2.mp3?attredirects=0&d=1

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:41 pm 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
2 day warning!

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:59 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
A fire in the sky.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:14 am 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Man, got some excellent entries guys!
I'm Doooooooooooomed!
Final day!
Anyone still working on an entry, best get them finalized and entered!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:45 pm 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Sadly, I've had musician's block for most of the competition. I don't know if I'll be done in time...

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:47 pm 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
That's it folks!

Seems we have only 4 entries this time around.
This means that FINAL VOTING STARTS NOW!

Our entries are:
Nite Shadow:

Aivenstruz_:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf6pUzM2wW0

Mocgames998
https://sites.google.com/site/mocgames2 ... ects=0&d=1

Can of Nothing:
https://soundcloud.com/canofnothing/sev ... -of-purple

Take a listen, and pick your favorite.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Music Comp #2 2015 - THE EPIC BOSS BATTLE!!!!!! FINAL VO
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:01 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I will fill CoN's can with a vote for him.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:36 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Since I felt the (unnecessary) need to be brief with my entry description, I'll take this opportunity to give my full thoughts on each submission:

Nite Shadow:
Starting out in major, stepping back into minor, and then switching between both throughout the song - overall giving the song a dissonant edge was something I found very interesting! The slightly unsettling intro definitely amplified this, though I think the fade-in was a bit stronger than necessary, somewhat working against what you'd managed to set up at the intro.
The dissonance of the melody (although tasteful) might be working against itself in terms of memorability, though. It, combined with the length of the song, makes the song harder to catch onto listeners. It's not to the point where I can't recognize looped sections while listening, which is relieving - but for such a rhythmically simple melody, it's taking quite a while to actually remember it.
The biggest blemish, however, is mixing - instrument volume is simply not balanced enough. Looking at the waveform, things like the guitars at 2:19 (and 4:04) are simply overpowered and cause a huge shift in volume. The cymbals often have the same problem, as well. Even some basic equalization of frequencies could have given more balance in terms of volume, while allowing everything you want standing out to stand out, and vice versa. Sample quality isn't exactly the best (especially the guitars), which brings the song down slightly as well (I personally wouldn't use sampled guitars like this unless for the sake of sounding unrealistic on purpose), too, though it's not nearly as big a problem as mixing.
Overall, it's a very interesting song, brought down mostly by problems that have nothing to do with the base composition. I wouldn't exactly think of it as 'epic', however - It sounds like a blend between an unsettling prelude of sorts and an action theme, which honestly feels like a slightly awkward mixture.

Aivenstruz_:
Ahh, Mixcraft. It's funny how easy it is to tell if someone's using its default instruments once you've used it for a while. That aside, though, for someone who hasn't made much music before, this sounds very good! The introductory section in particular reminds me of Henry Mancini's Peter Gunn theme, which makes diverging from there in future sections all the more interesting. You seem to have a very good grasp on things like rhythm and basic music theory, as well as having some brilliant ideas in terms of arranging articulation - with better instrument libraries, more practice in articulation and exploring the various MIDI control options (like Volume and Pitch-bending), I'm convinced you could come up with some very impressive things. The straight rhythm, coupled with the overall jazz influence makes for an interesting contrast, as does the blend of "acoustic" and synth instruments - the former of which even amplified with some of your subtle rhythmic diversions (as done with the ride cymbal, for example) here and there. I definitely like this one.

Mocgames998:
I just threw this together in a few hours.

First off, I don't believe you.
Secondly, most of the articulation, arrangement (especially on the drums!) and instrumental quality is superb - If we were evaluating those alone, you'd have won by a landslide. The active and driving drums help to keep the song going all the way through, and the opening guitar riff (as well as, again, the drums) is fantastic.
Sadly, the song takes a slight change for the worse from there, in my (subjective) opinion; the orchestra hit and brass don't really add anything significant to the song, making it not a particularly acceptable substitute for a solid melody, or however else you would've kept things interesting. The noticeably low-quality orchestra hit works against the otherwise fantastic instrumentation, and orchestral instrumentation seem to do nothing but feel awkward with genres such as rock or metal, at least when it's just flowing, and dropping in and out like this. (I'd had a similar problem when starting out with my song; I tried going for a rockestral direction very briefly at first, only to decide that was a terrible idea.)
It disappoints me slightly overall that you chose to use the orchestral hit and brass - I figured they were a way to add 'epic' flair onto your song, but it just comes off as uncreative and shoehorned, especially in contrast to how everything else is fantastic by comparison. I know I'm being very negative about that, but it's because of just how positive everything else is, really.

Can of Nothing:
Ever since I'd gotten into Deep Purple from researching about Koji Kondo's musical influences, I'd been goofing around on my keyboard, coming up with riffs inspired by that of their most famous songs. It wasn't until this competition that I had a real reason to make an actual song in their likeness, however. I'd also discovered a rock cover of a Shin Onigashima song, arranged (he was the original composer as well) and performed by Koji Kondo himself, not too long before I found out about this competition; it was a big factor in convincing me to go with 60s'~70s' progressive rock for this.
The compositional process was relatively smooth, considering I practically rewrote the song a few times - each time, coming up with something better than the last was almost instantaneous. I'd managed to come up with a simple melody without too much hassle, as well, which was more than satisfactory.
The real trouble in making this song was in mixing, really. The original mix had an overly muddy bass, which made me go and revise it, where every time I tried to iron something out, something else would be undone. This took me a couple of days, and really frustrated me - eventually I took a break from it for a day, and went back to it fresh, leading to this... relatively better mix.

I'm not entirely sure if votes from participants really count, but as for my vote... This is a tough one. Nite Shadow's song is the most interesting, but suffers from bad mixing and low-quality instrumentation, and works with the given theme in a somewhat awkward way. Aivenstruz_'s, while also low-quality in instrumentation and not as good as it can be, shows excellent potential and is compositionally solid. Mocgames998's song is fancy, impressive and fits the theme to a T, but is dragged down by its less ambitious elements.
I'd have to go with Aivenstruz_. Mocgames998's may have much more flair, but I like the style and ideas Aivenstruz expressed in his song, while also exploring the ideas of an 'epic' 'boss battle' in interesting ways.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:14 pm 
Waka waka waka
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Can of Nothing

Grumble Volcano - Mario Kart Wii

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:37 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

CoN

(11/28/2020) Looking back at most of the things I did here many years ago makes me feel embarrassed :p But hey, we all started somewhere on the internet I guess. This site is basically the only remains of how I was years ago, and I can't look back at what me from over 5 years ago thought was "comedy" without cringing haha

I don't know if I'll return here some day, but I thank you all for the memories coming back to me after looking through my old posts. (which I advise you not to look through if you want to stay sane) If I do return, I do know of the new forum's existence, I just felt like looking back at posts here instead since I was more active on this one.

May the holidays go good if you are reading this around the time I am putting this text in my signature.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:46 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I'll vote for Can of Nothing!

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 35 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked