Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 23 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [zz]
 Post subject: Music Competition # 7 ~ Bash the ? Block and Look Inside!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:05 pm 
Video Game Musician
[*]
[*]
Oh dear. It seems that the furbies are invading... :laugh:

That aside, I won the previous compo and thus I am selecting the next theme... this is a personal favorite of mine: SNES music.

This is wide open as to the interpretation of SNES music... though I would advise that you have not more than 8 notes (including drums and other samples) going at a time at the very least.

The SPC700 doesn't support a lot of special audio effects (unless you've already applied them to the samples, of course)... but there are a couple of effects that I do know are supported:

Pitch modulation (by using the previous channel as a pitch envelope)
Echo (complete with filtered decay through FIR coefficients... warning: this does take up SPC700 memory for an echo buffer)

My only other advice that if you do keep track of sample totals (as in total sample length)... make sure the loop points are divisible by 16 (especially if this were to be real SNES music) and try to keep the total sample size under 100,000 (this is if it were to even remotely make it to the SPC700..).

The deadline will be set at 23:59 GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) on November 4, 2012.

[zz]
 Post subject: Re: Music Competition # 7 ~ Bash the ? Block and Look Inside!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:59 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Are we allowed to create remixes that are foreign to Mario?

Also I assume that we can't make SNES songs in other soundfonts/styles?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:44 am 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Unless otherwise specified in the competition's original post, you can always make things that aren't Mario-related. The point of the competition is to make a song that could be played on the Super NES, so complex remixes of Super NES music won't work.

I'll try to whip something up - I'm starting to loath myself for always procrastinating on these, although my trip last week thwarted my efforts at making serious headway on the Progressive Rock song.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:52 am 
Video Game Musician
[*]
[*]
Wiiboy4ever wrote:
Are we allowed to create remixes that are foreign to Mario?

Go right ahead on the non-Mario remixes, if that's what you want to go for.

Wiiboy4ever wrote:
Also I assume that we can't make SNES songs in other soundfonts/styles?

Actually, I myself have used samples directly from non-SNES soundfonts, and all I have to do is edit them down so that they can properly fit into SPC700 memory (the biggest problem is usually determining if the loop point is acceptable when converted to BRR: sometimes it turns out better, sometimes it turns out worse and I can get giltched noise instead). That requires a direct sample extraction, which I have successfully done so via Harmony Assistant. :D So you can make a SNES song using non-SNES soundfonts... but you'll have to make sure to manually edit down the samples. I myself have disobeyed this part before by not editing the larger samples (though ever since getting a proper converter from .it to .spc, I am now much more aware of how large I can make my samples...). So the answer to that is... with the proper sample editing, actually, you can use other soundfonts... and I guess other styles, too.

[ca]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:06 am 
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Hell yes

The SNES had some of the most beautiful soundtracks ever composed, and damn near the greatest soundchip ever made. This is quite possibly my musical forte (no pun intended)! XD

Not sure how much free time I have to actually start on this, but I'll try to whip something up for it. Again, awesome theme! ^^

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:40 pm 
[mscproductions]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hmm. I like the idea, but are there any tutorials for making these samples like what you are describing KungFuFurby?
EDIT: Also, I don't see a first place medal on you, or I.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:06 pm 
Video Game Musician
[*]
[*]
I literally edit them right in Schism Tracker. Simply load any sample (I recommend importing it as a .wav), give it a loop point divisible by 16 (I literally type in the number. A calculator can give you a quick check for whether or not you picked a loop point divisible by 16.), and if you have the loop point divisible by more than 16 (32, 64, 128, 256, and so on...), then cut that sample right down to half its size for optimization and room for the other samples that you might use. Of course, for non-looping samples, sometimes I just cut them right down to a power of two, or somewhere in between. :D Basically, it's pretty simple to get yourself a good BRR sample (at least without directly converting them... that's where the various tools come in... I can think of BRRTools, but more specifically, since it has a BRR converter built in, SNESMod. However, SNESMod only takes Impulse Tracker files as an input.)

I don't know what type of sample editors other people are using... but at the very least I hope there's a length indicator in samples. Otherwise... well, it might not come out so pretty if turned into actual SNES samples. ;)

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:29 pm 
dataSKY - we connect the world
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Got a little project I'm working on. It is going pretty good so far! Although I might work on some other songs and pick my favorite out of the ones I make.

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:41 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Okay got three songs made. I can't decide on what to officially enter. The Morrowind theme one might be breaking some of the restriction rules, but I really liked it.
Also, double posting to bump, we need some more activity!

The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind - Theme
Halo 3 - Never Forget
Silent Hill - Otherside

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:18 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Is there any other software you guys recommend besides Anvil Studio that I can use to make the music? I would really like to enter this competition.

[tw]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:49 pm 
福瑞退化者
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Lmms. It's free and flexible.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:19 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

kremling wrote:
Is there any other software you guys recommend besides Anvil Studio that I can use to make the music? I would really like to enter this competition.

I used LMMS.

[zz]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:50 am 
Video Game Musician
[*]
[*]
I myself use Schism Tracker. That's also free. :D

One day left 'till the deadline. I myself haven't made a specific piece of music for this compo. :whoops:

If anyone wants an extension, I'm open for it.

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:31 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

KungFuFurby wrote:
I myself use Schism Tracker. That's also free. :D

One day left 'till the deadline. I myself haven't made a specific piece of music for this compo. :whoops:

If anyone wants an extension, I'm open for it.

I don't think an extension is necessary. Apparently no one other than me has been working on a entry. An extension will just drag on a competition that no one is (apparently) interested in. I for one love the the theme though.

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:12 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Well I guess it is over. Since I was the only entrant does this mean that I won, or what?

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:16 am 
Video Game Musician
[*]
[*]
Yup, I guess you won on a technicality.

Hey... now that I think of it, here's a really old track from 2005 that I did in Harmony Assistant in a SNES style (marked Kung Fu Furby The Game Boss Theme... or SPC2, which was my original Harmony Assistant filename):
https://www.box.com/s/4ybm8pd1mv4nyvd4ol3v

And seven years later, I converted it to an .it file (I also did sample quality reduction for some of the samples) and transformed this eight minute piece of music to real SNES music, and here's the result after running it through mukunda's SNESMod to convert it to .spc (it ended up taking half of the SPC700 memory, which is much less than you think it would take... well, I was able to get away with it partly thanks to the fact that I could use really high speed values to cover very large gaps in time... this sounds counter-intuitive at first, but you'll see when you're in a tracker that it does make more sense: a speed of 1 is as fast as you can go, and I was using 128 in at least one point. Plus, I was using the retrigger command when needed.):
https://www.box.com/s/gq3ozfm9xgecyeeqh23y

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:01 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Well then, I guess we should get to voting.

KungFuFurby

My Entry

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:13 am 
Video Game Musician
[*]
[*]
Oh dear, that wasn't what I intended... I don't think that was even a valid entry (the date of the conversion is pre-compo, and I didn't especially make that for this compo), and even the original music itself is from 2005... :whoops:

I could have picked any of my SNES music to enter if I wanted (even the ones I produced before the compo), but I didn't think it would be a good idea on my end.

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:50 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

KungFuFurby wrote:
Oh dear, that wasn't what I intended... I don't think that was even a valid entry (the date of the conversion is pre-compo, and I didn't especially make that for this compo), and even the original music itself is from 2005... :whoops:

I could have picked any of my SNES music to enter if I wanted (even the ones I produced before the compo), but I didn't think it would be a good idea on my end.

Oh, I thought you meant that you were entering that. My bad.

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:29 pm 
Video Game Musician
[*]
[*]
That's OK. I was just showcasing my own SNES music. :D

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 23 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked