Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 118 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [au]
 Post subject: Minigame Competition #2
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:38 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Hey there! Sorry about the hiatus of this competition, I wasn't fully aware as to when I could start it! :O

The theme for this competition is The Entire Game Must Be On One Screen!

As long as the game functions entirely on a single screen/room it qualifies! This theme was lifted from a semi-recent Ludum Dare comeptiiton of the same theme. You can check out some of the entries here for examples. (Birdsong is an excellent example of how this theme can be used). The competition ends Friday, the 9th of September (a little over 2 weeks)! Your entry is valid as long as you submit it when it is the deadline somewhere on Earth.

Your game can be a fangame/indie, it doesn't matter! Good luck everyone! :)

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
 Post subject: Re: Minigame Competition #2
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:45 am 
sluuuuurp
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

ok, i like this theme. i might make something

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:49 am 
The Quantifiably Quip-tic QC Dude
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Finally, man. I've been itching to enter one of these for a while.

Image Refs - Something new's gonna show up here, I just know it! - DeviantArt - YouTubeImage
???!, 10%

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:55 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
So, it basically has to be the entire game in one screen, even stuff like the title screen and game over screen need to be in the same screen, or is it just the gameplay that should be all in one screen? The theme sounds really interesting, by the way!

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:57 am 
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I can dig this nice and good. Am entering ;)

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:31 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Three hours of work was a little too much for this for my tastes, but oh well. Enjoy if you can
Download
scaled image scaled image

EDIT: Controls are arrow keys and space as alternative to the up arrow key

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[es]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:22 pm 
I'm just a little adorable kitty :3
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Preview of my entry

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:45 pm 
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Does it all have to be one single screen or can it be multiple non-scrolling levels? Honestly, if it's the former I'd be really bummed out, there's only so much you can do with "the whole game in one screen whoopie" before all the entries look and feel the same.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:26 am 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Adrian Belew wrote:
Does it all have to be one single screen or can it be multiple non-scrolling levels? Honestly, if it's the former I'd be really bummed out, there's only so much you can do with "the whole game in one screen whoopie" before all the entries look and feel the same.
The entire game has to be on one screen. There's a lot you can do with that premise. Get creative.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:59 am 
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
DJ Coco wrote:
The entire game has to be on one screen. There's a lot you can do with that premise. Get creative.

I disagree. Sorry, but I don't think I can enter as such.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:03 am 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Adrian Belew wrote:
DJ Coco wrote:

Did you see the Ludum Dare entires? There's some really clever games in there and a lot of different ideas, too. Think outside the box. A game that simply features no scrolling isn't anything special. This limit really enforces the use of clever ideas.

I mean, it's your choice if you don't want to enter, but you'd be pretty wrong in saying this theme can't be used to do unique stuff.

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:02 pm 
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
DJ Coco wrote:
Adrian Belew wrote:
DJ Coco wrote:

Did you see the Ludum Dare entires? There's some really clever games in there and a lot of different ideas, too. Think outside the box. A game that simply features no scrolling isn't anything special. This limit really enforces the use of clever ideas.

I mean, it's your choice if you don't want to enter, but you'd be pretty wrong in saying this theme can't be used to do unique stuff.

I'm not denying there can't be some creativity to be found using this limitation, but it would be much more timely to develop a relatively unique idea for this compared to just about any other competition theme, and I don't have the time nor resources to do so at the quality I'd wish to achieve.

Really, it's more about level design than anything. Having the entire game be a single screen, by the very implication of such a rule, makes the experience more monotonous than it would normally be. This is more detrimental to the developer than the player, but I'm sure that as many people who like playing a single screen type game would also enjoy a break from it with additional levels or slight changes or something.

Take Mario Bros. for example. Technically speaking, the game is only single screen, there's no scrolling, and the level layout remains roughly identical per "phase", as the game dubs it. Even with that in mind, it still finds ways to pull twists on the first level's design and what enemies and obstacles it chooses to spit out at you. I feel like forcing entirely just one single screen is too limiting for the general scope of the competition and it would arguably be a much better idea to do a theme where there can't be any scrolling - same idea, but with a bit more necessary freedom. Feel free to disagree with this, but that's how I feel and I can't see myself participating unless I come up with something of sufficient enough quality and/or is actually fairly unique.

I figure that most games submitted will probably be slightly different takes on the same general idea: namely, that you have a lot of things thrown at you while you yourself remain stationary. Either that, or they'll nix off the linked example game in the OP and have one giant area that zooms in on the player to maintain single-screenness. Not that either of these ideas are a bad thing to play off of, but hardly "unique ideas all around from everyone".

oh my goodness me I really cut back on the fat in my posts wowie zowie

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:24 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

just because the game must take place inside the box, doesnt mean that you have to think inside of the same box.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:37 pm 
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
mysteriousclown wrote:
just because the game must take place inside the box, doesnt mean that you have to think inside of the same box.

I get what you're saying and all but you could have worded it a lot better maybe?

Besides (again), I never said that creative things couldn't come from it. I just said it'd take more work to come up with an idea than I'm willing to put into it right now, and then I went on to explain why that was the case. Dial the convincing back a number or two, guys.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:15 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Well, feel free to win and make the next competition's theme "No scrolling" ;)

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:27 pm 
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Hahah, then people would complain it's too similar to the last competition! Then nobody wins! Literally and figuratively!

(I might enter this one regardless, just because I think I actually did come up with a good idea, but I'll flesh it out and see if it works - if not, I'll compose for a friend's possible entry instead)

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:43 pm 
I hate yellow balls of consumption.
[S]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]

Working on the opening stuff before the game itself is a bit backwards (and it takes up precious time), but I'm still having fun doing this. Also I want to keep the gameplay itself a surprise for now ;)

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:01 am 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I love the color palette. Zooming out of that billboard is also a really clever idea to incorporate an intro in your game.
I am really interested in what the gameplay is gonna be like.

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:35 am 
"I am one valuable card"
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
This is the progress of the game I was making.

*I know stuff is still in it. I was still working on how the game works.

Attachments:
output_YVrDmi.gif
output_YVrDmi.gif [ 2.53 KiB | Viewed 6542 times ]

NNID: SonicZetrex
User: SonicZetrx

Old Drawing Banners

Spoiler:

Things I support/others

Spoiler:

My favorite theme:

User page at mfgg.net

[es]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:39 am 
I'm just a little adorable kitty :3
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I'll have to step down from this comp, I've been very busy lately.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 118 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked