Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 106 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [zz]
 Post subject: Finals | Minigame Competition #2, 2014 | GameBoy *enhanced!*
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:05 pm 
Event Leader
Final Voting
Top 5 Voting has ended. Here are your finalists:

Quote:
IIIIIIIIII Hypernova
IIIIIIIII Cap'n Coconuts
IIIIIIIII Guinea
IIIIIIIII Nite Shadow
IIIIIIII Roo

Unfortunately out:
III moonrat
II Nacitendo

Please vote for the best entry within the next 24 hours! May the best win!

Top 5 Voting:

Download all at once and vote for your favorite 5 enties within the next 2 days!
Quote:
Cap'n Coconuts
Guinea
Hypernova
Nacitendo
Nite Shadow
Roo
moonrat

"Download All At Once"™-Pack
(Thank you, Miles!)

UPDATE! Gameboy Color Palettes

The OP contained a mistake, and this new graphic here should give you a bit more flexibility, so please look at it and read the following description:

scaled image

As you can see, there exist actually THREE layers: Background, Objects0 and Objects1.
Both Object layers can have THREE colors plus transparency.
The Background layer can have FOUR colors.

This makes a total of TEN colors as opposed to eight, but please take TRANSPARENCY into consideration!

For further reading: Wikipedia on GBC Color Modes

Sorry for changing the specification, but I think many of you may not even have started yet, so it shouldn't be much of a problem, especially considering it gives you more colors to work with rather than less (that is if you use the layers cleverly).

-----

Lu9 and Comp Leader have come up with the following Minigame Competition for you guys:

GameBoy Games on a GameBoy Color or Super GameBoy!

Let's make a game for the original GameBoy!
This means, you need to consider (most) of the technical limitations of the GameBoy, especially the resolution, the button layout, and ideally the graphical capabilities. So far so good.

We all know the characteristic 4-color limitation of the original GameBoy. Boring, isn't it? But put a regular GameBoy game into a GameBoy Color, and you get 2 layers with 4 colors each, making a total of 8 colors!

Check this out:

So, what needs to be done?
In order to qualify for a valid entry, your minigame must adhere to a few points of criteria...
  • GameBoy resolution of 160 x 144 for gameplay (you can put VC-like frames around it, upscale and apply some fancy effects, go wild, anything is allowed as long as the game itself runs in 160x144).
  • (Updated) You can (and should) use 3 layers. There is a "Background" layer with 4 colors, and two "Object" layers. The Object layers can have 3 colors each + transparency. So you end up with a total of 10 colors. Check out the image in the update above to see the GBC's default colors. Of course you can just give all layers the same set of colors, but try to take advantage of the multiple layers.
  • Consider the button layout of a Gameboy: D-Pad, A, B, Start, Select. Do not under any circumstances use more buttons, and do not pretend the "select" or "start" button are regular face buttons. The game should be playable with a GameBoy-shaped controller (or a NES controller).
  • Alternatively, make your game look like it's on the Super Gameboy! Pick any arbitrary 4 colors, provide a pretty frame, and go wild!
  • Try to not do anything too fancy, it should at least be believable that this game may have worked on an original GameBoy.
  • Try to make your game sound like it's on a GameBoy. Links to tools to achieve this are welcome.
  • Do NOT make a GameBoy Color or Super GameBoy game. This is about making a game that looks like an original GameBoy game enhanced by these newer pieces of hardware.

Other than that, your game must adhere to the standard MFGG Minigame Competition rules.

Hints
  • Consider the resolution of a GameBoy. Adapt your gameplay accordingly. Don't just make a regular sized game in a smaller view. (See Super Mario Bros. DX for a bad example.)
  • The Super GameBoy had all sorts of fun features besides playing games. Maybe you want to replicate that experience. The GameBoy Color supported multiple color schemes. Think you could do that too? Go ahead. Go wild, this is the time to do some visual trickery to make your games look even more like they are played on these devices!
  • There exist genres outside of platforming!

Cap'n Coconuts wrote:
Famitracker can be used for this, even though it is meant for NES/Famicom music. However, you will need to set a sound expansion in the Module Properties to emulate Game Boy sound.

The GB has two pulse wave channels and one noise channel, which the NES also had. The GB also has a 4-bit waveform channel with 32 repeating samples, which is something the NES doesn't have. To emulate this, you will need to use either the Namco 163 (using only one channel) or the Famicom Disk System expansion. I recommend the N163 for this, as new instruments are automatically 32-sample waveforms, the volume is 4-bit, and the interface is less complicated. N163 sound quality deteriorates as you use more of its channels, but this shouldn't be a problem if the Module Properties are set to use only one.

When writing GB-esque music with FamiTracker, do not use the Triangle or DPCM channels. The GB does not have those channels.

The competition ends on 24th of June. Entries can be posted as long as there is a timezone somewhere on Earth that is still on that day!

I hope some creative work comes out of this! Have fun, and good luck!

PS: Feel free to ask questions, this theme may be a bit more complicated in its presentation and limitations than usual!

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Minigame Competition #2, 2014 | GameBoy *enhanced!*
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:12 pm 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Oh, this is perfect!

For some time now, I have been working on an effect to make games look like they were played on a DMG gameboy, this is the perfect chance for me to put this to a real test, and try to Live-render it.

(No, this is not gameplay, this is merely the effect template.)

User page at mfgg.net

[tw]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:01 pm 
福瑞退化者
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Oh boy I am in for this! Finally I can come up with something neat. (Android/Windows Phone may be a bonus from me.) Quick question, am I allowed to resize the screen with the same screen ratio?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:01 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I'm kinda confused by this. For the competition do we just make a short game with a Game Boy vibe?

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:18 pm 
Real horses don't run into trees
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I'm kinda confused by this. For the competition do we just make a short game with a Game Boy vibe?

It needs to look like a Gameboy game played on a Gameboy color, yes.
Most important limitations it needs to adhere to:
-Resolution 160x144
-2 layers with 4 colors each (total of 8)
-controls: D-pad, A, B, Start, Select

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:23 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Hypernova wrote:
Oh boy I am in for this! Finally I can come up with something neat. (Android/Windows Phone may be a bonus from me.) Quick question, am I allowed to resize the screen with the same screen ratio?
Yup, upscaling is allowed as stated in the OP.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:49 pm 
S̛̜̭͚̗͚̪͚̃ͯ̑̉̾̍̎O͙͈̻͖̣͍ͬͨͧO̯̮̯̠N̩̫̣͛̔
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I'll see if I can drum something up...

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:57 pm 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]

Progress so far:
Got a title screen, let's see what I can do from here.

Update:
At the end of Day 1, I have done up the intro, title screen, and planned out 4 games that will work with my system.

Now comes the hard part. putting all of this into play.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:15 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
UPDATE! Gameboy Color Palettes

The OP contains a mistake, and this new graphic here should give you a bit more flexibility, so please look at it and read the following description:

scaled image

As you can see, there exist actually THREE layers: Background, Objects0 and Objects1.
Both Object layers can have THREE colors plus transparency.
The Background layer can have FOUR colors.

This makes a total of TEN colors as opposed to eight, but please take TRANSPARENCY into consideration!

For further reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gameboy_Co ... _Boy_games

Sorry for changing the specification, but I think many of you may not even have started yet, so it shouldn't be much of a problem, especially considering it gives you more colors to work with rather than less (that is if you use the layers cleverly).

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:30 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Nite Shadow wrote:

Shouldn't this be in the color palettes from the first post instead of the greenish color the Game Boy had?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:43 am 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
SuperMuppet wrote:
Shouldn't this be in the color palettes from the first post instead of the greenish color the Game Boy had?

I picked a monochrome DMG gameboy, It's unable to process color.
If you really want to get technical with this, 4 shades of green, and even black and white are both within the selectable palettes, among others.

Edit:
Well, black and white anyway, I stand by it however.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:12 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

This is ok, I don't think we specified that you can use ONLY the GBC's built-in colors, so you can pick whatever 4+3+3 colors you like, as long as they're within the color range of the GBC. It's however specified that you can just assign the same 4 colors to all 3 layers, and then you get what Nite is doing. It's just an additional limitation he imposes on himself, so that's ok.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:47 pm 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Comp Leader wrote:
Try to make your game sound like it's on a GameBoy. Links to tools to achieve this are welcome.

Famitracker can be used for this, even though it is meant for NES/Famicom music. However, you will need to set a sound expansion in the Module Properties to emulate Game Boy sound.

The GB has two pulse wave channels and one noise channel, which the NES also had. The GB also has a 4-bit waveform channel with 32 repeating samples, which is something the NES doesn't have. To emulate this, you will need to use either the Namco 163 (using only one channel) or the Famicom Disk System expansion. I recommend the N163 for this, as new instruments are automatically 32-sample waveforms, the volume is 4-bit, and the interface is less complicated. N163 sound quality deteriorates as you use more of its channels, but this shouldn't be a problem if the Module Properties are set to use only one.

When writing GB-esque music with FamiTracker, do not use the Triangle or DPCM channels. The GB does not have those channels.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:04 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
^Thank you, Captain. I added your post to the OP.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:03 pm 
meow
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
This theme is awesome. I'll most likely get an entry in for this.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:29 pm 
Am I making you uncomfortable?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I'd like to make something, but I can't seem to think of anything too great.

User page at mfgg.net

[br]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:08 pm 
I Have Returned®
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Cap'n Coconuts wrote:

You can also use Little Sound DJ which is another good GameBoy tracker. Their website has a demo version which includes almost everything, so you can use that.
LSDJ Example
Or just use soundfonts (I have created a game boy soundfont collection with the squares, waveforms from various games and 2 noise kits)
You shouldn't just apply them to MIDIs, though. Try making 'em as accurate as possible, and if you need
polyphony, you'll need to use arpeggios.
Take these 2 for an example.

EDIT: Also Coconuts, you can use the Triangle Channel, since you can recreate its wave in the waveform channel. But not along with the Namco/FDS expansion.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:24 pm 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Guinea wrote:
scaled image

I think this image is a bit misleading. The light colors for the objects are crossed out, implying that they will be the transparent colors. The Super Mario Land 2 screenshots above indicates that this is not the case.

I'm going to attempt an entry, but I'm going to assume that the transparent color, while not the light color, is nonetheless fixed as far as the game goes.

A bit of information for anyone who wants to be as authentic as possible: the Game Boy can only have 40 sprites visible on the screen at once, and sprites on that system were either 8x8 or 8x16 (the size is set for ALL sprites). And as an addendum to what I said about audio, the Game Boy's pulse wave and waveform channels can't go below 64 Hz in frequency (in Famitracker, that's around a C1 note for pulse channels and a C2 note for the N163 channel if you're using a 32-length waveform).

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:22 am 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I'll be honest, I see this causing a bit of confusion, as the dialogue assumes that it is being played on a real Gameboy, rather than the actual controls of the game.

So far so good here, the game doesn't start until you set fire to the castle, and you just keep breathing fire on it to gain points,
Where are the enemies, you ask? ...well... I'm having trouble figuring out who to use for the common enemy... (Toad?)
The rest takes minutes to do from that though.

User page at mfgg.net

[tw]
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:55 am 
福瑞退化者
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
This is my lazy effort made in about 3 hours:

I used background with 4 colors, tileset and some object as obj0 and player/enemies as obj1.

This might my only development leak before I release this game. Also good luck everyone! ;)

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 106 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked