Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 54 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
Minigame Competition #36[FINAL VOTING], Land of the Living Props(and also items)
 [us]
 Post subject: Minigame Competition #36[FINAL VOTING]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:14 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Congrats to Pyro for runner up, Farlon303 for third place and Roo, WreckingGoomba and Yoshbert for entering as well!

To make it easy to find, here's about how long you get. I'll try and add a javascript timer to help specifics later, and I might have to adjust this.

You have 14 days from now. Contest will end when July 14th 19th ends and July 15th 20th begins, to give a better idea. That would be Midnight PST, here's a countdown timer to help with that.

Once upon a time, there was a Minigame Competition who's theme was ? Blocks, #47 of the old competitions. I had an interesting idea for it. Rather than focus on hitting ? blocks, or Mario characters at all, I was going to create a minigame where you played as a living ? Block from a race of blocks and had to take down villanous ! Switches and turncoat ! Blocks. That idea didn't get far that time obviously.

Still, I loved the idea, and for this competition I wanted to spark some similar crazy ideas. Thus, the theme of this competition is to make a game starring a prop, or at least focused heavily around "living" props. These can be various blocks like in my concept, items such as Fire Flowers, the hills with their eyes, heck, go with a living chunk of land tiles if you want!

As the topic maker, though, I think I might claim the idea of a platformer mini-adventure starring a ? Block verses ? Switches myself, hopefully a finished game this time. Nothing actually keeping you all from trying that kind of thing too, of course, but stating that might help encourage you all to do a variety of things as well as things like mine. Also I really want to try it again!

To try and help inspire things, here's a few ideas of things you could play as from Mario games to give an idea of how you could go: A pipe, an entire castle, doors, cannons, powerup items, those hills with the eyes, or one of the many stage gimmicks from the NSMB games even.

Perhaps I'm thinking too far inside the item box here, or maybe I'm thinking too crazy? Go mild or go wild... as long as it's in the rules, of course.

Last edited by Someguy on Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Minigame Competition #36
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:01 pm 
dataSKY - we connect the world
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I actually really like this theme, Rystar and I might try to cook something up!

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:14 pm 
hi hello
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I think I will enter, no excuses this time. This sounds like fun.

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[fi]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:46 pm 
I shine.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Great theme. I've already got some ideas. Hopefully I can be arsed to make at least one of them.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:44 pm 
dataSKY - we connect the world
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Just to clear some things up, would anyone consider firebars and nuclear waffles (disk things from SMB3) as enemies? 'Cause Rystar and I got this thing in the works that feature them and we don't want our game to be immediately disqualified.
We were thinking that they were props, but just more so hazardous ones.

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:11 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I'd consider them props like you might consider spikes a prop, myself. You probably could get away with living things too if you keep the focus on the sentient prop/s, like The Purple Coin on the main site starring the titular coin. Something like Mario vs living coins/blocks/hills might even work, or vice versa, so long as they're normally not living blocks. The ones with the Goombas in them don't count.

For a living block that would be kinda creepy, actually. Having some weird creature take over your body and all. :sick:

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:34 pm 
I never really was on your side.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Hah. I find the theme amusing and oh boy I must enter.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:41 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
So basically make a game starring some kind of inanimate object?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:06 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Wiiboy4ever wrote:
So basically make a game starring some kind of inanimate object?

Something starring or focusing heavily on such things that are normally not moving/playable, yeah. Even though they move or bounce sometimes, I count things like items too here.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:01 am 
Is there a doctor in the house?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

I think this could be fun.

That moment when it hits you...

User page at mfgg.net

[nl]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:05 am 
Wreck 'n get stomped
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Nice theme. Let's see if I can get something up within the deadline.

User page at mfgg.net

[de]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:03 pm 
But alas, I'm still alive.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Mah boi! This theme is what all true warriors strive for!
Yeah... I guess I'll enter.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:30 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I think I have an idea. Imma try to enter :)

LSF Games wrote:
Mah boi! This theme is what all true warriors strive for!

I wonder who's the winner

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:36 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
This is what happens when you don't sleep. Here's my entry, I call it Blocks. It's a puzzle game staring the starman. I hope it fits the theme well enough.
Download

Last edited by Jeff on Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:52 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Do bullet bill blasters count as a "prop"?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:58 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Yeah, I'd count the Bill Blaster as one!

Meanwhile, an update on my project, I decided to swap things and make the Switch the player this time, tried to toy with co-op with the block but I felt I'd just go with one "character". But if the blocks and switches are both good guys then what's the enemy?

Assuming I manage to finish it. I'm worried I've been too distracted here again. I'll probably let off on joining the competitions after this, but at least if I miss it I don't lose out on much since I made it. =P

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:10 am 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
An idea that I wanted to see would count under the theme, as it is heavily centered around items even though they are not "living":

As Shigeru Miyamoto, you must tell the programmers where to place the item boxes and powerups necessary for players to progress through each stage while removing misplaced blocks or nerfing enemy placement. This concept would turn a level editor into a puzzle game with an AI controlled Mario progressing through the levels and a meter, called the fun-meter, to gauge whether the level is too easy or not. Developing this into a game with depth is going to take longer than I have left in the competition, but I figure I could enter with a concept stage or two for now.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:27 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I've decided to change my idea a bit, I'm putting off the playable block thing for a potential future game that would take advantage of it better, and swapped out the main character for something with a different maybe simpler playstyle.
... so, can you figure out what here is a collectable, what's the player and what's harmful? Don't worry, it'll be obvious in-game.
Assuming I can finish it in time. Been kind of struggling with level design so I worry if I can make it in time.

Speaking of time, I forgot to put up a javascript timer of somesuch, but before I do that I'd like to ask you all two things.

1. What timezone do you think would be best to set the timer? I was originally going to base it on PDT, but some people might want to wait for midnight in their place of origin outside of the US. Did MFGG ever agree on a common comp timezone?

2. How are all your games doing anyway? Some dude named Someguy was lazing about with a minigame he only just now showed much of publicly, Madox and Rystar, erm, Vitiman, were last seen tagteaming on a game with nuclear waffles, Evil Yoshi decided to try and do a game this time, Roo had some ideas and hoped to try at least one, Im the Red Spy wanted to enter, Wiidog4ever talked about something with Bullet Bill blasters, techmario said the theme could be fun but hasn't stated much else yet, WreckingGoomba wanted to try and get something in before the deadline, LSF Games guessed about maybe entering, Pedigree had an ambitious idea and might try and enter with a concept stage or two... but only Jeff's got a finished entry submitted so far! 11 possible entries, but only one's been submitted...

Do we all need an extension, or are some of you all just waiting for the last minute?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:40 pm 
hi hello
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Is the carrot playable? I'm just guessing that because it is in the air. Either way, that looks interesting, Someguy!

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:49 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
It's closing in on the end of the comp, but we've only got one entry. Unless a higher up says otherwise, I'm guessing I'll have to extend the comp. The end of Friday the 19th sounds good, right?

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 54 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked