Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 78 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
Minigame Competition #35, Vehicles/ Transformations
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Minigame Competition #35
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:01 am 
Lawful Evil
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Super Mario Takes to the Sky: Very well-done to the theme of the competition. The three vehicles each serve to have different gameplay styles, as the theme suggested, and each played differently enough to warrant swapping between them, without being so dissimilar as to cause noticeable unbalance and difficulty in changing between them. In terms of presentation, it also appeared to be quite professionally-done. The menus are quite nice-looking, and the music selection is good. However, the combat felt somewhat unsatisfying, as there was no apparent reward for destroying enemies (though the level design occasionally placed them in such a way as to encourage reward) and dodging around the enemies seemed to be as successful and sometimes more healthy way to proceed through the level, despite feeling contrary to the theme of the game. The death animation for the enemies was nicely unique, though. The bosses were okay: their attack patterns were acceptable, but they had a bit more health than was needed. If a boss requires more than ten hits to defeat, there really should be some sort of indication of their current health. I didn't feel like I was really hitting the bosses at all. It really could've used those extra two levels, too.

Yoshi's Assault: I didn't play particularly far into the new version, unfortunately. Reducing the fire rate of the helicopter seems to be a good idea, but it doesn't appear to be possible to complete the levels with it, now. It's also lacking an autofire button; we're still mashing the shoot button for the maximum fire rate as opposed to holding the button down. The MIDIs are a bit grating on the ears.

Protect the Castle: Certainly quite an innovative game, though not particularly to the theme of the competition. The ability to upgrade the plane felt quite rewarding, and the 2D dogfighting served as an interesting mechanic. However, it felt very unprofessional in presentation, though I do understand that such is part of the theme of the game. No music, outside of the boss?

Elemental Crush: I see that it was attempting to go for transformations as its theme, but it didn't particularly feel very true to the spirit of the competition. The transformations only affect vulnerability to obstacle types, as opposed to the appearance, control scheme, and active abilities of the character. The MIDI used was quite nice, though. also why don't the goombas go squish aaaa

Copter Car Clash: Though the game completely lacked menus, the main game was rather professionally-done, with good font and sprite use. The MIDI used was not particularly grating, either. However, I can't help but think that Mario and Luigi's cars could've been better personalized to the characters driving them, with letters or colors or somethin'. The second screen didn't seem particularly useful, either. And it's rather hard to ignore how short the game is...

SML Transformed: Definitely the game with the most cohesive art-style; the level was extremely well-detailed and everything looked nice and appropriate to the setting. The vehicles also played very well to the theme of the competition. However, the vehicles didn't really seem balanced at all; the tank seems to exist only as as a "harder side passage for more points" sort of deal, and the submarine essentially played as the plane with half of the screen remaining constantly inaccessible. The difficulty was extremely unforgiving; I really shouldn't have to go back to the beginning for taking only two hits between Mushroom Blocks, particularly considering how many of the enemies are threatening the very moment they appear on screen. The sphinxes were the most egregious of these offenders. The splitting paths certainly made the repeated playthroughs more enjoyable, but it was still ultimately very frustrating, and there really should have been a checkpoint of some kind.

However, my vote goes to SML Transformed, simply for being so dedicated to its art style and feel.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:43 pm 
dataSKY - we connect the world
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

My vote goes for Someguy!

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:47 pm 
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I too shall vote for Someguy. I really liked the cohesive art style as well, but the game was overall short and simple, yet fun! ^_^

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:11 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I will vote for Farlon303

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:25 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Here are the current standings.
Farlon303-I
Pyro-I
Roo-
WreckingGoomba-
Yoshbert-
Someguy-III

Only four votes! We need some emergency voters before the comp officially ends!

Last edited by Madox on Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[nl]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:24 pm 
Wreck 'n get stomped
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Madox wrote:
Here are the current standings.
Farlon303-I
Pyro-
Roo-
WreckingGoomba-
Yoshbert-
Someguy-III

Only four votes! We need some emergency voters before the comp officially ends!

Er... Pyro has one, because he got my vote.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:28 pm 
Lawful Evil
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Perhaps it's a bit unclear, what with my long post and failure to state the name of the creator, but my vote went to Someguy.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:28 pm 
Silly guy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Someguy

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:36 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Well here are the current(er) standings. Also Magnemania, I included you in the tallies, no worries. And sorry WreckingGoomba, didn't see your post on the last page, I skimmed a bit too fast.
Farlon303-I
Pyro-I
Roo-
WreckingGoomba-
Yoshbert-
Someguy-IIII

Someguy is ahead quite substantially! Should we wrap up voting and call an end to a comp? It's been 3 or so days since final voting started.

[jp]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:59 pm 
Yeah, I don't Even...
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Voting closure has been long overdue, so yeah p much, though there is a tie for runner up, so someone who hasn't voted yet should go ahead and break the tie between Farlon and Pyro.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:20 pm 
The Quantifiably Quip-tic QC Dude
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I vote for Pyro.

There's your tiebreaker, guys. Good night.

Image Refs - Something new's gonna show up here, I just know it! - DeviantArt - YouTubeImage
???!, 10%

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:29 pm 
I never really was on your side.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Voting is over.

Farlon303-I
Pyro-II
Roo-
WreckingGoomba-
Yoshbert-
Someguy-IIII

Congratulations Someguy!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:30 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I'm surprised but glad my game won, given it was taken out of the oven a bit early and there were some other nice ideas in the competition, good job everyone else guys and good luck next time!

As for the next theme... It's in the middle of the night pretty much and I don't want to botch up the thread or the theme, so I might wait till a time when I can contact an admin and make sure I pull it off smoothly, how long it should be, figure out if I can get a decent javascript timer running and that the theme I pick is agreeable, though I'll have something posted sometime Sunday afternoon I'm hoping!

Or in an hour or two if I can find a person to talk it over by then. :)

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:51 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Well, congrats Someguy! Can't wait to see the next comp!

[de]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:17 am 
But alas, I'm still alive.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Me too! I didn't finish my entry in time, sadly. So I'll wait for the next one.

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:18 am 
I never really was on your side.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I'm looking forward to the next competition

User page at mfgg.net

[nl]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:45 am 
Wreck 'n get stomped
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Congrats Someguy! Also, do we all get the top 5 badge (besides Someguy and Pyro of course) since there are 6 entries, or do we need a tie breaker?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:47 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Badges have been awarded. Good stuff, good stuff.

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 78 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked