Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 52 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [au]
 Post subject: Re: Minigame Competition #16
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:52 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I think it's quite a good theme. Can do anything from a simple platformer collecting starbits, to a shmup shooting starbits / collecting the most, to a starbit based puzzle game... It's not strict at all. Space is merely a setting that can be used in a number of unique ways if you put your mind to it.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:58 pm 
C# Programmer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
ur right, i just expected a better theme. Imo giving a setting isnt that *inspiring* of a theme. But i might enter.

Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl

[at]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:24 am 
Real horses don't run into trees
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I have to agree with Kritter here.
There have been worse themes, and @Nite Shadow, I don't think you'll have trouble making a game to fit this theme, also ah can't disqualify you anyway by himself.

For 2012, I'd love MFGG's members to be less hostile...

In other news, I'd enter this myself, unfortunately I knew the theme beforehand so it would be unfair.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:43 am 
Goodbye.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Guinea wrote:
@Nite Shadow, I don't think you'll have trouble making a game to fit this theme, also ah can't disqualify you anyway by himself.

yeah, Your right,
I shouldent have flown off the handle like that, im sorry.

Lets see what I can come up with.

And Happy new year everybody!

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:34 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Well, I've tried and failed to ener an NCFC comp that also had a space theme, so I'm doubtful again that I'll enter. I also think that starbits is a bit too strict to follow by. Space is one thing, but the fact we have to have starbits too IMO is asking for too much.

Also, as Nite said, happy new year everyone!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:30 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
hey

if I make something like this fighting game only this time in 3D and in space and fighting over star bits and stuff, is that okay? or is that taking too much from an existing idea?

(obviously it wouldn't use the same engine or anything - I'm just wondering if it's okay to work with that idea - and if not, it's okay)

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:15 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
If it's different enough and the "space" aspect isn't just a black background with stars and the starbits aren't just glorified coins it should be alright.

Starbits are different to coins in a couple of things:
- You can collect them without touching them
- You can shoot them
- You can feed them to lumas

I guess it would be enough if an entry to this competition uses at least one of those abilities, or something else that could fit the starbits.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:44 am 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Personally I think it's a very promising concept. It's kind of unlikely I'll have time to do anything for this competition, but who knows!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:04 pm 
That can't be right...
[*]
Hm. I hope there was no need to sign up or anything specific, although after reading the given guidelines several times I don't see any such requirement. I might as well give this a try and see if I don't give up/lose interest early!

[tw]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:21 pm 
福瑞退化者
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Namadu wrote:
Hm. I hope there was no need to sign up or anything specific, although after reading the given guidelines several times I don't see any such requirement. I might as well give this a try and see if I don't give up/lose interest early!

I think you gonna start now. Because it's only 3 days left.

User page at mfgg.net

[fi]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:47 pm 
I shine.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
ah2190 wrote:
7. Games are restricted to games which main focus is a Nintendo licence, including, but not limited to, Mario games, or games where the content and characters are completly new.

Exactly what the heck does this mean? It seems to imply that you're only allowed to make a Nintendo game and that you're allowed to make an original game.

also I'd probably enter if not for the Star Bit crap but I'll see if I can whip up something lazy and horrible

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:42 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I have no idea why ah reworded the rules that are on the timer site anyway, but all it means is that you have to make a Nintendo related fangame or an original indie game.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:31 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Well seeing as there is seemingly only like 2 days left and I've come up with and done nothing so far, guess I won't be entering this comp. I still plan on voting though, and hoping that this comp will spark lots of entries and I'll try to compete in the next one.

I just might come up with an idea at the last second though, and do what Roo said.

Guinea wrote:
I have no idea why ah reworded the rules that are on the timer site anyway, but all it means is that you have to make a Nintendo related fangame or an original indie game.
Sorry for sounding stupid, but basically anything but Sega or STH or microsoft etc.?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:02 am 
That can't be right...
[*]
Argh. Working on this minigame has been a bit of a learning experience with Game Maker Lite 8.1. Never in previous versions have I seen the ability for Lite users to use image_angle, certain other features, and the forced annoying watermark in the corner as well as one after closing the game. So veeery sorry for that! Hopefully whoever plays this can learn to "tune that out", as it's not particularly a good idea for me to haphazardly throw around $40... At least YoyoGames knows the best way to get a company hated fast.

Rant aside (and I really hope the watermark can be coped with), the game's about 7.5 MB because it has an MP3. It's an MP3 because MIDIs don't sound pretty and I can't figure out how to put OGGs with Game Maker (yet). Sorry.

Download Star Bit Catch here.

Screenshots at 480x360: Spoiler:

(This was definitely fun to make, and it's good to see that I've finally actually made a final product for practically the first time in my life. Let's hope there aren't many glitches and that it actually has enough to do with space... perhaps I lingered too much on the Star Bit part?)

Edit: UPDATED since 1/7/12 3:49 Central time. Fixed some collision issues, fixed a bug involving Bob-Ombs reducing energy despite invincibility, rebalanced some things, and fixed a secret bug. (They're ACTUALLY fixed in this one. :/)

Last edited by Namadu on Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:09 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
my my, this is very impressive, - uɐɯɐnp -!

very polished and professional looking, and upgrading stuff was a nice touch.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:43 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Sorry for sounding stupid, but basically anything but Sega or STH or microsoft etc.?

It also means no Dragon Ball Z, no Cave Story, no Frodo and no President Obama, etc.

However, Nintendo related means not only 1st party games. Basically anything that's fine for NCFC is fine for this, too. Nintendo related being defined there as franchises that are/were primarily on Nintendo consoles, such as Megaman or Castlevania.

User page at mfgg.net

[tw]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:43 am 
福瑞退化者
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Okay! Here is my entry: Mario's Deadly Flight 2
Download [6.5MB]

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:48 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
^That looks fun!

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:26 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
My entry.

BLOCKED

A little puzzle game in space ( with starbits, but they only play a role in the last 2 levels.)

You have to guide Blocky, a grey block with a face, to the end of each level.
Why is he in space? Because the competition theme forced me.

The game is very short ( it only contains 6 levels ) but I'm thinking about expanding it.

Controls : your mouse.

What do you need to know?
- You can destroy clouds with your mouse
- Blocks don't eat starbits, they are toxic
- Watch out for electric bars!

Screenshots The screenshots show only the first level and the opening screen, I know that they seem very empty, but this will change in the later levels.
Spoiler:

Download (8.93MB)
Download

NOTE: There is a little problem with the moving platforms. Sometimes when you land before them, you will get stuck.
That's why I implented the RESTART button.

Enjoy!

User page at mfgg.net

[gb]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:02 pm 
MRPG:TT Creator
[*]
[*]
[*]
Laki2, you could say that Blocky is stuck in space due to an outside force that dragged him up there. Otherwise, good idea.

Supernova, I am suprised you made your entry as a sequal.

And namadu, if you do well here, you may have a reason as to spend the dosh on Game Maker 8.1. I did, and I've yet to regret it.

As for the bonus bit, there will be a "post contest" continuation of this so that those of you who couldn't join us in time for this contest can show off your work, and serves as a longer term goal compared to these contests. True, there wouldn't be badges handed out for the post contest stuff, but the special, secret challenge, of which at least one of the current games would be elegable for right now, will carry on through that. And even if you haven't planned to join this contest due to time or life or knowing the theme beforehand, you can start knowing what the others had done before.

(Personally, we should have a post contest extension like this about once every two or three monthes, allowing people to start off with a minigame, but work on it to become a full proper game that can be submitted to the site. But it is up to Guinea as to if this sort of thing becomes official, and if so, in what way. He may have it as a seperate contest to these competitions, with the theme chosen by the Admins and/or the previous winner. Then again, he might think this idea is a bit too much for us to deal with alongside the normal competitions.)

Creator of Mario: Wind Walkers (Ex-3rd place in Minigame Comp 13)
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 52 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked