Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  [ 189 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Time Limits ~ Minigame Competition #6
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:11 pm 
Stay fresh!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Elyk wrote:
superbowser - I enjoyed your game the most of the three. The only bug I encountered was if you press both keys at once you stop moving. The koopa shell stomping was sloppy and you determined direction based off of the bob-omb's direction rather than where he was relative to the shell (stomping on the left should kick to the right no matter what way you're facing). Since you used X and C I think that Z would have been a better choice than Spc for jump (you could have both if you really wanted). The level design was kind of confusing because you used what seemed like test blocks for the actual platforms while the crates (which appeared to be items you could jump on) were merely background objects. Also it would have been neat to have Peach's castle as a level and to finish off with some sort of boss fight.

DarkBlueYoshi wrote:
There's some bugs in superbowser's game.
-Holding left and right
-Speeds up a little bit when landing
-Speeds up when hitting a ceiling.

Glad to hear that you liked my game!
I know about the bug when you press both keys at once. I should have worked on that part a little more. I also knew about him speeding up when he landed and when he hit the ceiling, but I'm not really sure why he does that. About the koopa shell, I've tried it before but I haven't ever got it to work the way it does in the games. If I ever update this, I'll possibly add X as the jump key as well. I actually wanted to add a Peach's castle and a boss, but I ran out of time.
Once again, glad that you liked it.
-superbowser

Last edited by Superbowser on Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:13 pm 
Lord of the Realm
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
At Elyk:
The glitches you experienced never occurred on the many number of testers I passed the game by, so it's unfair to ridicule my game for your computer's error in running it. There is also music in the game, which shows a further fail of your system to run the program, not my error in its creation. The remaining points are your valid, personal views, which I have no need to comment towards.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:09 pm 
Needs more Custom Title Request forum.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
MarshmallowMadness wrote:
LordGavin: Your game was very enjoyable to me. Because it was simplistic and fun. I highly enjoy games like that. Its kinda like Snake I guess. Without the super long body . But. Yeah O_O -Has no game design comments cuz she knows nothing about that-
Superbowser: Your game was...how to say it...cute. . I really dont know how else to word it. I liked it. It was someting new to me. And again..I know nothing about game design. And didnt see all the bugs pointed out. Sooo. yeah. .
Wiiboy4ever: I didnt partivularly like your game. Ive played games like that before. >_>; nothing wrong with the design or anything i think. . The game is pretty simple..its just...Ive seen that of Mario characters a few times.

So I vote for LordGavin. I found his game the most entertaining and well made.

you joined today only to make one post, and have your first post vote for a member?

this is why we got rid of polls on voting, so people wouldn't get their friends to register just to vote

removing the post so it doesn't get counted for voting - hang around the forums a bit more and actually vote; then you can vote properly

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:11 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Superbowser gets my vote.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:56 pm 
Lord of the Realm
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
EDIT:

Forget this post. No point in arguing with what was done above.
Still not happy with that, DJ.

Last edited by LordGavin on Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:03 pm 
Great Time Champion
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
My vote goes to LordGavin.

Image | Image | Image | Image
Profiles
Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image | Image

Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:44 pm 
Stay fresh!
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Current standings:

LordGavin   III
superbowser IIII
Wiiboy- I

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:47 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

LordGavin wrote:
At Elyk:
The glitches you experienced never occurred on the many number of testers I passed the game by, so it's unfair to ridicule my game for your computer's error in running it. There is also music in the game, which shows a further fail of your system to run the program, not my error in its creation. The remaining points are your valid, personal views, which I have no need to comment towards.
I tried it on two different computers, each fairly new. The sound doesn't play for either. It's likely that you are trying to use the multimedia player rather than GM to play music, which is quite unstable. For the flickering they probably just did not notice that it was unintentional. It isn't that big of an issue anyways.

Personal views which you feel no need to comment towards but should because it will make you a better game designer.
Close Button - I don't know how your many testers can stand having a feature of an operating system robbed from them. This is my biggest issue with your game.
Site link on close - It's redundant. It's bothersome. You have a link to your site directly above it. You don't need to put it there too, all it does is cause the player trouble. 2nd biggest issue.
No score counter - It's not that big of an issue I guess because the score is on the title bar, but you start the game in fullscreen so most people won't even see it. It would just be a nice touch to have.
Green Orb Notifier - This is only a suggestion but it would be sweet to have. That way you can calculate whether or not it is worth trying to squeeze through the ice beams or wait a second before trying to grab an orb.

Even ignoring the bugs up at the top there I still feel like my vote belongs to superbower.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:55 pm 
Lord of the Realm
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Fair enough, when you put it that way (while not ripping on the game). Those are more valid points I'm willing to listen too.
Here's what I've got to say:

1) I don't give people the close button because I don't want people to stop playing my game. If they wanna quit, they go back to the title screen and hit the button. Besides, if you wanna close the game for any reason instantly (or for emergency), press Alt-F4.

2) The link to my site when you hit quit is something I used to do for ages, but yes, it could go now that I've made my name (was a bit of a requirement back when people were stealing my works. No joke. -_-).

3) I didn't add the score counter in-game because I didn't want to distract players from what they were doing or hide hazards. After all, the game can get very intense, so I simply gave people the ability to see their score when they win, and when it mainly matters.

4) Yeah, I mentioned this earlier on the forums. I asked if people wanted it and got no reply, so I didn't add it. I thought I should anyway, but pointing back to my last comment, I didn't want it to distract players or hide hazards.

Either way, all these changes can be made easily (I'm not a newbie) but those were my reasons for having/not having them. So long as you understand all those decisions. As for blaming your computers, well I kind of have to. I've gotten reports that some people, regardless of how new or old their computers are simply can't play GM games or any kind. I believe this has to do with the computer missing a certain codec that makes it able to run GM games better (and I do use an older version to begin with). Whichever, it is a shame you had those graphical/audio issues, but there really isn't anything I can do about that.

User page at mfgg.net

[in]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:06 am 
[*]
My vote goes to SuperBowser
The simple reason being...
1. LordGavin does NOT follow the theme.
2. WiiBoy's end game screen made me laugh.

[in]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:59 am 
i'd hit it
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

he does. it's just not very obvious

Quote:

it's nothing personal - it's happened before with the same results.

Quote:
1) I don't give people the close button because I don't want people to stop playing my game. If they wanna quit, they go back to the title screen and hit the button. Besides, if you wanna close the game for any reason instantly (or for emergency), press Alt-F4.

If I don't want to stop playing the game, I won't click close. It's not like after clicking close and realising it doesn't work, I'll say, "oh.. maybe I should play this some more!" It just makes me annoyed.

Quote:
but there really isn't anything I can do about that.

You can start by not using GM's in-built sound system. It's highly unreliable for anything other than WAVs. Especially MP3s - I'm not surprised at all that Elyk had issues with sound.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:23 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Char wrote:
Quote:

it's nothing personal - it's happened before with the same results.

yep - you remember the time some one got around 17 people or so to vote for his entry in one of MFGG's competitions?

also Super Mario Bros. X at the last NCFC is another example of why we don't trust people who register just to vote

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:04 pm 
Lord of the Realm
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Diabloist337 wrote:

Thank you for not noticing any of the three time limits in the game.

Char wrote:
If I don't want to stop playing the game, I won't click close. It's not like after clicking close and realising it doesn't work, I'll say, "oh.. maybe I should play this some more!" It just makes me annoyed.

You don't get it at all. Professional PC game normally requires you to go back to the main menu in order for you to quit. This is because the longer someone stays in-game, the better chance they will keep playing over any game with an instant close feature. Heaven forbid I made it three seconds longer to quit by that means. Besides, I'll say it again: If you wanna close it for any reason right away, press Alt-F4.

Char wrote:
You can start by not using GM's in-built sound system. It's highly unreliable for anything other than WAVs. Especially MP3s - I'm not surprised at all that Elyk had issues with sound.

Over the course of my many years of using GM and creating games that have received downloads within the +100, 000, I have yet in be inquired by any means of a large enough percentage of players coming forth with technical issues. Those that have I've not been able to help sometimes since, as I said, GM simply doesn't work perfectly on every computer (just like any other PC application/game). For this reason, I continue to use the in-built sound system, as it works fine for the vast majority of the available audience.

DJ Yoshiman wrote:
yep - you remember the time some one got around 17 people or so to vote for his entry in one of MFGG's competitions?

What if you were wrong and that was all coincidence? I wouldn't know, though it did seem like it was a fan of mine (as if I keep track of every one of them), but if I had called forth for fans to vote for me, I think more then just one person would have come by to do so. Then again, the one vote right now wouldn't do much good for me, so as I said, I have no need to argue, though I'm not happy.

User page at mfgg.net

[se]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:18 pm 
In Donaldismo Veritas
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

LordGavin wrote:
You don't get it at all. Professional PC game normally requires you to go back to the main menu in order for you to quit. This is because the longer someone stays in-game, the better chance they will keep playing over any game with an instant close feature. Heaven forbid I made it three seconds longer to quit by that means. Besides, I'll say it again: If you wanna close it for any reason right away, press Alt-F4.

Yeah, and that annoys me a lot in "real" games too.

Quote:
Over the course of my many years of using GM and creating games that have received downloads within the +100, 000, I have yet in be inquired by any means of a large enough percentage of players coming forth with technical issues. Those that have I've not been able to help sometimes since, as I said, GM simply doesn't work perfectly on every computer (just like any other PC application/game). For this reason, I continue to use the in-built sound system, as it works fine for the vast majority of the available audience.

Point is, there's an easy-to-implement alternative that works better than the built-in system. Yes, the built-in system maybe works for many people, but why settle for that when you can get something better with almost no effort at all?

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:25 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Quote:

this is not only a fangame, but a minigame, to boot - we're not going for professional PC games when it comes to the latter, and only half as much when it comes to the former

with a retail PC game, people go to the main menu and quit because it's sometimes expected that their tools don't allow them to have such things with the OS, or the games are usually full screen, so it doesn't even need one (and some of us still get annoyed by having to go to the main menu to quit anyways - looking at you, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory)

we know the tools used here - they allow those minimize, maximize and close buttons, and we expect them, because there's no reason to get rid of them and it'll just piss us off

Quote:

have you tried using an extension or an alternate method?

Quote:
What if you were wrong and that was all coincidence? I wouldn't know, though it did seem like it was a fan of mine (as if I keep track of every one of them), but if I had called forth for fans to vote for me, I think more then just one person would have come by to do so. Then again, the one vote right now wouldn't do much good for me, so as I said, I have no need to argue, though I'm not happy.

i wasn't wrong, and it wasn't coincidence, especially with not that many numbers

if you want to argue your sound engine point by saying "years of using GM," then i'll argue this point by saying i have "years of experience on this message board" - but that's a silly reason to argue this point, so i'll just let you know that it's somewhat protocol to not believe votes from people who join on the day, half an hour before they post a vote, and don't post anything else (in case you missed that part)

User page at mfgg.net

[in]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:28 pm 
i'd hit it
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
LordGavin wrote:

No. I can give you a big list of games that allow you to close from the close button. And yes, when I click a button on the top right of a window which is red, has a cross on it and closes any other window, I expect it to close your game too. If Alt-F4 works, then how does letting the close button or escape from instantly exiting do any harm? Besides, quitting the "normal" way throws me at your site which gives me every reason NOT to use the quit menu item.

LordGavin wrote:

Like I said, it's highly unreliable for anything other than WAVs. In the case of MP3s, it simply passes control over to Windows Media Player (by default, I assume) and tells it to play the audio, so if WMP hasn't been set up or has been removed or modded or whatever, it breaks. Not only will using a DLL be more reliable, but also give you far more control over your audio (play/pause, volume, tempo, etc).

LordGavin wrote:
What if you were wrong and that was all coincidence?

Never in existence (okay.. At least since I've been here) has MFGG ever gotten 17 new active members in one day. Let alone the fact that all of these members did exactly one thing - vote in the MGC.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:29 pm 
Lord of the Realm
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Alex wrote:
Yeah, and that annoys me a lot in "real" games too.

Dear God, is pressing "Alt-F4" just a terrible alternative? One extra button over pressing "Esc"?
Fine. If the chance ever arises that I join another Mini-Game Competition here, I'll know how particular you are about wanting to quit your games and put that back in. -_-'

Alex wrote:
Point is, there's an easy-to-implement alternative that works better than the built-in system. Yes, the built-in system maybe works for many people, but why settle for that when you can get something better with almost no effort at all?

Alright, I'll finally say it: I didn't know there was one. As I made clear, I never really needed it.
Would someone be nice enough to supply me a link to it then? After all, if it's as good as you say, it wouldn't hurt to finally get it.

EDIT:

Char wrote:
Never in existence (okay.. At least since I've been here) has MFGG ever gotten 17 new active members in one day. Let alone the fact that all of these members did exactly one thing - vote in the MGC.

I was referring to the incident with that one member that voted for me. Regardless, as I already said (how may times have I had to say that line? "As I already said"), one vote wouldn't make a difference at this point, I'm not happy though, but I'm not going to argue it.

Last edited by LordGavin on Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:36 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

LordGavin wrote:
Nope, not at all. Games that I have tried in the past few minutes that all close when the quit button is clicked:
Every Source game
Every Touhou game
Minecraft
Duke Nukem Forever
Trackmania
Audiosurf
LordGavin wrote:
Actually I think your issue is NOT using GM's built in system. You're using MP3s which GM cannot play with its built in system. It needs to call upon WMP and that is where the errors occur.

Also Alt+F4 does not close the game.

User page at mfgg.net

[in]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:38 pm 
i'd hit it
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
LordGavin wrote:
Alright, I'll finally say it: I didn't know there was one. As I made clear, I never really needed it.

There's a few - I use Supersound personally and I know Guinea's using bass.dll for Midas Machine, there's Saudio and Sxms and there's a few more which I can't remember.

User page at mfgg.net

[in]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:55 pm 
i'd hit it
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Also I'm way too late for this but:
all this time you've been railing on about how Alt-F4 quits the game instantly.
Just tried it - Alt-F4 does.... absolutely nothing

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  [ 189 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked