Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 65 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
Drawing Competition 2017 #4, Mario Characters as JRPG Characters
 [us]
 Post subject: Drawing Competition 2017 #4
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:32 am 
Obscure MFGGer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Hey folks, it's certainly been a while since the last drawing competition! I guess literally everyone at MFGG forgot to properly get around to wrapping it up after final voting ended. I just got the badge :laugh: Anyway, the powers that be (VinnyVideo) contacted me recently about any ideas I may have for the current competition. He liked my idea, so I may as well get this thing started.

Our current topic is...

"Mario Characters as JRPG Characters"

• The premise is simple: Mash up a Mario character/enemy with a character/monster from a JRPG.
  • Feel free to take some creative liberties with your design as long as the subject is recognizable.
  • Yoshi, Wario and DK Characters can also be used in place of a character from the Mario series (since they're technically Mario Characters anyway)
  • The type of JRPG isn't simply limited to traditional turn-based RPGs either. Strategy RPGs (Fire Emblem / Disgaea) and Action RPGs (Seiken Densetsu / Dark Souls) are also allowed. Heck, if the subject is from some sort of RPG, you can use it.

Examples:
  • Mario in a suit based on a Behemoth from Final Fantasy
  • Wario dressed up as 2B from Nier Automata
  • A hybrid of a Goomba and a Slime from Dragon Quest

There is only one restriction:
  • While you can use a character from a Mario RPG as your subject; you cannot mash up your subject with anything from a Mario RPG. I don't want this competition to stay in the bounds of the Mario franchise.

Other Notes:
  • You can draw as many characters as you like, but you may only have one entry
  • You can use any art style you wish. Mimic an official one or use your own.
  • Stating the RPG character that you're using would make it easier to identify in case you pick something more obscure.
  • As stated before; you can take some creative liberties with the design of your entry. It just has to be recognizable.
  • Entries are due: August 2nd @ 11:59 PM (PST)

Last edited by Supah-Luigi on Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: Drawing Competition 2017 #4
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:40 am 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

This sounds fun. Who knows - maybe I'll go crazy and make something myself!

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:27 pm 
This is official artwork
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Do Western RPGs count?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:25 pm 
Obscure MFGGer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Auction Lemon wrote:
Do Western RPGs count?

Don't know if this is bait, but I'll bite for the sake of clarity. Western RPGs do NOT count. The competition is literally called "Mario Characters as JRPG Characters" (japanese RPGs). I assume the confusion came from the snippet that said it was okay if the subject was from "some sort of RPG"

The only reason I limited it to JRPGs is due to the fact that I find that very few Western RPG characters really stick out to me. Perhaps it's because I just don't find western RPGs appealing overall. A few have honestly put me to sleep.

Last edited by Supah-Luigi on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[cl]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:02 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Gotcha.

I will 'possibly' try to make something cool for this. I have a concept, next thing would be to make it happen...

EDIT: I might have misread, and interpreted it as a crossover thing (not necessarily mashing up a character with another). Guess I have to take back my idea, then.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:40 pm 
This is official artwork
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I finally finished my drawing. http://i.imgur.com/2OjAvKp.jpg It is suppose to be Luigi crossed with the New Age Retro Hippie from Earthbound.
SOURCE: https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.1429500 ... ,f.u17.jpg

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:34 pm 
Obscure MFGGer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
I like it.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:35 pm 
This is official artwork
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
thanks

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:45 pm 
This old dog still knows a few tricks
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Well, seeing as this competition hasn't gotten nearly as much love as it should, I decided to take a few minutes to loosen up and make a sketch c:

Spoiler:

Rosalina as Sheena Fujibayashi from Tales of Symphonia.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:27 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Aside from having stars on the cards, it's 100% Sheena.

Available for ANDROID and IOS

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:44 pm 
A dark omen
[*]
Black Boo, As awesome as that piece looks, I'm afraid you might have missed the traits of the character it's supposed to be.
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:34 am 
Is that a jojoke?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
My entry, Joker Waluigi and Count Arsene (i may make changes)
Spoiler:

Last edited by Technoflops on Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:34 am 
Obscure MFGGer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Oh! I was worried that I may have to extend the comp for another week due to a lack of entries, but it seems I won't have to now. Also, I can see that Black Boo's entry is Rosalina. The stars on the cards are not the only clue. The hairstyle is the same on the front and she's actually wearing her crown. It's a little hard to see behind her hair due to the angle that she is drawn.

ALSO, here's my entry: (I wish I was able to dedicate a bit more time to polishing it)
Spoiler:

It's a Shy Guy dressed up as an Onion Knight (one of the many Final Fantasy Job Classes)

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:12 am 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Supah-Luigi wrote:
I can see that Black Boo's entry is Rosalina. The stars on the cards are not the only clue. The hairstyle is the same on the front and she's actually wearing her crown.

The hair is basically exactly the same as it is in standard Sheena. The crown and cards feel like an afterthought. It's Sheena with a very VERY slight Rosalina cosplay. It's supposed to be Mario Characters as JRPG Characters, not the other way around.

It's a great piece of art, but it doesn't fit the brief of this competition.

Quote:
Feel free to take some creative liberties with your design as long as the subject is recognizable.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:51 am 
Obscure MFGGer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Since you still don't wanna accept it, I'm just gonna tell you to not vote for it when voting comes around. He can draw it however he likes, and it's too bad your not willing to take it. I think it looks enough like her.

Also, I slightly adjusted the time the entries are due. It's still due today, BUT I'm giving you folks until the end of the day to coincide with the Sprite Comp (which started on the same day, albeit a bit later). Perhaps you can make a couple fixes to your entry or MAYBE we can get another entry. After that, I'm closing it up for voting.

Get your entries in by Midnight (PST)

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
 Post subject: Re: Drawing Competition 2017 #4 (LAST DAY)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:48 pm 
This old dog still knows a few tricks
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I was afraid this would happen. I can make some alterations later this afternoon, and I'll attempt to defend myself, but without color, it'll be hard to make the distinction.

My defense is that I tried to retain Rosalina's facial features/structures while adapting to the Symphonia artstyle. I also retained as much of Rosalina's hairstyle I could. The crown and cards were an afterthought, I'll admit, but you'll simply have to look closely at the image since it doesn't have and likely will never receive color.

Now, take a look at the image carefully. You'll see that the eyes are the similar almond shape as Rosalina's canon eyes (as opposed to Peach and Daisy's much rounder eyes) with continuous eyelashes around the outsides (when compared to Peach and Daisy again, they only have 3-4 eyelashes in most interpretations last I checked). The eyebrows are much smaller than Sheena's, since Rosalina has thick, but short eyebrows, and a very important note is that Sheena's hair parts to her left, while Rosalina's parts to her right. I made sure to accentuate this difference as much as I could, and I even kept the flips on the left side of Rosalina's hair that se has in canon interpretations. I also left the tossles in front of her ears alone to retain the canon Rosalina look, the only thing I really changed here is the fact that the hair is in a messy ponytail rather than free flowing.

Fight me on this all you want, but I was very deliberate in my decision making on what to keep and what to change, and the only alterations I can think to make would be adding a star "buckle" to either her boots or the knot around her sash. Any further distinction would require color, and I don't have time to give it a neat coloring treatment. Slapping on color solely fo the sake of clarification would hurt the piece more than help it, in my opinion.

So it's staying the way it is. I'm confident with it, and the one that made the rules is okay with it. That's all the grounds I need.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:14 pm 
Is that a jojoke?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
I thought the point of these competitions were to work under restrictions. It seems pretty silly to make rules and then ignore them when the first person who breaks it submits their art.

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:02 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Guess we'll just ignore this bit then

Quote:
Feel free to take some creative liberties with your design as long as the subject is recognizable.

If Black Boo had just put that art here with no explanation on who it was and let people guess, 99 people out of 100 would say "uhhhh..... I dunno".

Plus I already mentioned it's meant to be Mario characters cosplaying as RPG characters and not the other way around. Me, if I'd seen that art I'd have said "Hey it's Sheena Fujubayashi from Tales of Symphonia!"

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:24 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
It's Supah-Luigi's competition and they came up with the rules. If they are okay with the entry, then why argue further?

If you don't agree with the entry, I would suggest that you don't vote for it. To derail the thread into a debate against one member's entry is a bit much, in my opinion.

Anyways the competition ends tonight at midnight, so get your entries in!

User page at mfgg.net

[au]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:30 pm 
Not banned.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Because the rules he set aren't being followed. At all. So why have rules at all?

MIght as well be all like "Oh hey here's my picture of Mario dressed as Cloud. You can clearly see that it's Mario dressed as Cloud and not the other way around because he has the trademark mustache. Oh if I'd added colour you'd be able to tell obviously that it's all Mario."

Now who is that more recognisable as? Mario or Cloud?

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 65 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked