Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 71 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: MFGG Sprite Competition 6 - 2016 | Fiesta!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:28 pm 
What a mania-tastic time
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
SuperArthurBros

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:59 pm 
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Q-Nova wrote:
Conan O'Brien wrote:
why even have a top 5 if you're just going to eliminate one person

Isn't that how top five voting works, though? The people outside of the top five range (or in this case, top seven, since three people have tied for 5th) get eliminated, which happens to be case for Psid, unfortunately. Yeah, it kind of seems dumb and cruel to eliminate just only one person, but that's how it works. I'm not sure what else could work.

Anyway, I think I'll vote for SuperArthurBros.

well, it just seems a little pointless to eliminate one person out of seven in a top five. You should have had a tie-breaker vote for the fifth person, imo

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:02 pm 
Kootie Patootie
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Conan O'Brien wrote:
well, it just seems a little pointless to eliminate one person out of seven in a top five. You should have had a tie-breaker vote for the fifth person, imo

This has been discussed several times in past competitions which wound up with 6 entries, and the conclusion has always been that we need a top 5 placing for badges to be handed out properly. A tie-breaker for 5th place wouldn't be any more efficient than an elimination round.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:37 pm 
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Except none of that really makes sense. How are badges somehow less efficient in being handed out if you just ditch Top 5 altogether? It has no bearing on the badges being handed out if only one person is being eliminated. Also, this isn't 5/6, it's 7/8, which seems a little less pointless to do a proper Top 5 then. Just because the vote tied doesn't mean you should just give up on it. It's fundamentally flawed to have a Top 5 vote at all if all it will do is eliminate one person out of 8. Why even call it a Top 5 anymore? It's stupid. No offense, but it's stupid.

Sorry to derail the thread (a little bit anyways), but this felt like an appropriate time to discuss this due to the circumstances of the voting.

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:20 pm 
This old dog still knows a few tricks
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
In my humble opinion, I think the top five voting should be eliminated too. It would quicken the process of competitions and allow more to happen over the course of the year. Instead, I think the "Competition Top 5" badges should be handed out to the competitors that place in the top five spots of the voting.

I also do see why the Top 5 is a thing though. It helps weed out less desirable entries, and people's votes can change dependent on who is eliminated. However, the pros outweigh the cons in my humble opinion, and we really don't have to waste time with potential top 5 tiebreakers and what have you.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:42 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
The top five should be the top five with the most votes, sure, but then you STILL run into the problem of not having a top five when one or two people are overwhelmingly the favorite. Heck you could end up having only a 1st place winner if the votes all go to one entry (and it has happened with the final vote in the past IIRC).

Competitions like this have always and may always be problematic when it comes to the voting cycle.

User page at mfgg.net

[cl]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:41 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I agree. Top 5 shouldn't be named like that if there's more than five top 5. But... I think the best thing to do is to rename the top 5 badge to participant, so everyone who enters the competition gets rewarded with something at least and no one is left in the dark without any badges for participating. This is like Black Boo said: "it will quicken the process of competitions and allow more to happen over the course of the year". Also, if there are lots of entries in one competition (like over 15), even if everyone makes great entries, with top 5 badges there's gonna be a lot of subjectivity (all competitions have subjectivity since votes are based on subjective opinions), but even more subjectivity than most competitions and you will need to rely entirely on luck to get a top 5 badge. It's pretty unfair. It would be better to simply reward everyone for their effort.

Back on topic, I vote Transpencil

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:04 pm 
This old dog still knows a few tricks
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Iroha Nekomura wrote:
I agree. Top 5 shouldn't be named like that if there's more than five top 5. But... I think the best thing to do is to rename the top 5 badge to participant, so everyone who enters the competition gets rewarded with something at least and no one is left in the dark without any badges for participating. This is like Black Boo said: "it will quicken the process of competitions and allow more to happen over the course of the year". Also, if there are lots of entries in one competition (like over 15), even if everyone makes great entries, with top 5 badges there's gonna be a lot of subjectivity (all competitions have subjectivity since votes are based on subjective opinions), but even more subjectivity than most competitions and you will need to rely entirely on luck to get a top 5 badge. It's pretty unfair. It would be better to simply reward everyone for their effort.

Back on topic, I vote Transpencil

See, but here I disagree. Turning Top 5 badges into "Participation" badges will completely devalue the worth of the badges in general. If everyone simply gets a badge for participating, I think that sooner or later it will lead to a more lethargic attitude towards the competitions, as more people will come into the mindset of "Well, I get a badge anyway, so why put more effort into it?" The point of these competitions is to nurture a friendly, yet competitive environment that brings out the best the members have to offer in their talents, because the badges give them something to strive for, including the Top 5 badge. Take that away for a participation badge, and people will just care less, and put less care into their entries.

The fact of the matter is that there isn't any simple end-all, be-all solution to this. Pedigree poked a huge hole in my logic mentioning that there are times when there will not be a Top 5 because all of the votes will go to one or two entries. A potential solution I just thought of was to instead give everyone five slots for voting in a single voting period. However, the value of the votes--or points in this case--will descend dependent on the listed entries. For example:

1. Person A
2. Person B
3. Person C
4. Person D
5. Person E

Person A receives 5 points because they're at the top of the list. Meanwhile, person B receives 4, C receives 3, D 2, and E 1. The points are determined in descending order of how the voter lists the entries based on preference. It may slightly complicate the tallying process, as much more addition would need to be done, but this will result in shorter voting periods, as well as solving the "All votes to one person" problem Pedigree mentioned, since having five slots on the ballot automatically creates a top 5. The only foreseeable problems with this method are people that fail to follow directions could cause problems. Alas this is all conjecture at this point, though I recall the Top 5 system was more effective in competitions back in the days of yore when we would have at least 10 entries per comp. We may just have to live with the outdated system.

And so I'm not derailing the thread further, I place my vote for SuperArthurBros

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:05 pm 
I'll be your 1-Up boy.
Social Media Manager
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
SuperArthurBros

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:13 pm 
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
bigpotato

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:22 pm 
soverygrin
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
bigpotato

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:23 pm 
A Inky Space Princess
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

bigpotato

My Deviantart Gallery:
Spoiler:

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:25 pm 
"I am one valuable card"
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
To be honest! I'll go with Jaharl

NNID: SonicZetrex
User: SonicZetrx

Old Drawing Banners

Spoiler:

Things I support/others

Spoiler:

My favorite theme:

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:03 am 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Jaharl

Also, Top 5 badges had little to no value to begin with. I think a new 3rd place badge would work much better.

[us]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:05 pm 
Resident Ninnyhammer
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Black Boo wrote:
A potential solution I just thought of was to instead give everyone five slots for voting in a single voting period. However, the value of the votes--or points in this case--will descend dependent on the listed entries. For example:

1. Person A
2. Person B
3. Person C
4. Person D
5. Person E

Person A receives 5 points because they're at the top of the list. Meanwhile, person B receives 4, C receives 3, D 2, and E 1. The points are determined in descending order of how the voter lists the entries based on preference.

This is sort of what I was thinking too, except I had given the top preferences more weight. This kind of voting process is known as "instant-runoff voting" if anyone was wondering.

Also, my vote goes to bigpotato.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:28 pm 
"I am one valuable card"
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Who won? Since this haven't been talked for a while.

NNID: SonicZetrex
User: SonicZetrx

Old Drawing Banners

Spoiler:

Things I support/others

Spoiler:

My favorite theme:

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:43 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
It's a tie. Either SuperArthurBros or I need another vote.

SAB IIII
bigpotato IIII
Jaharl II
Transpencil I

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:26 am 
The plot thickens
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I love both entries, but I'll have to go with SuperArthurBros

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:56 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
So, I guess that means that SuperArthurBros wins, while bigpotato gets the runner-up spot, and Jaharl, Transpencil, SonicZetrex, Yakibomb, and I are in the, well, top 7 (it's usually top 5)? Though, congratulations, SuperArthurBros! You had a really good entry! :thumbsup:

User page at mfgg.net

[zz]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:37 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Congrats, SAB! Your entry was truly artistic!

User page at mfgg.net

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 71 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked