Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 102 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: MFGG Sprite Competition 1 - 2016
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:03 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
they're not pixel art either

[de]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:52 am 
... Coruption ...
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
sry :D I didnt know only pixelart was allowed :/

Paper Mario CC Progress:
General Progress, 8%

Games I support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:10 am 
The Dark Warrior
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Considering that we have no valid entry (because pixel art is not a half between vector and pixel (Sorry Benstar), its all pixels being the main focus,) as of yet and the deadline is coming, I will have to extend the deadline to June 9th. Final voting begins June 13, before E3. The OP will be updated.

Now to answer questions:

Q-Nova wrote:
There is one question that I have about this competition. Are we allowed to take a certain theme that is found in the Mario series and add a little twist into it (a couple examples would be a flooded underground cave, and a mostly destroyed castle)? Because that is what my idea for my entry will be.

The rules are rather permissive here. I don't mind twists to existing backgrounds (like, making a fortress background from SMB3 but with brambles) but what you make should be resembling in existing Mario backgrounds at its core that appeared in the official Mario series games as per rule of the backgrounds being contextually fitting for the world Nintendo has made for the Mario series.

Vitiman wrote:
That's actually been an underlying issue I've had with Sprite Comps since pre-split, going as far back as 2009 at the very least. They should really be renamed "Pixel Art Competitions" if the unspoken requirement to partake in them is that it's pixel art. I mean, I could be wrong and maybe at some point down the road vector art was made 'tourney legal' or however you'd put it in layman's terms, but in that case what really separates them from regular Drawing Comps then?

You are not entirely wrong here. MFGG sprite competitions in the past and now have always have run under the common rule that the sprites in a broader context are virtually one and the same with pixel art, and that the pixel is the single most important unit of precision for rasterized art. That importance also has to be defining in an entry in which the pixel is deliberately arranged to make an entry. Anything more than that loses its criteria as we cannot say that the entry is in fact pixel art and vector art is not and never will be 'tourney legal' as you put it in a sprite competition.

ATTENTION! I am in need of coders to help fix Mario's physics for Mysterious Islandz. The game as it stands, is quite glitchy. If you are good at GM8 and is capable of reading FDE Exi's code, PM me!

Spoiler:

I am the true darkness. MFGG stands in my way!

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:34 am 
son of Xereus
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Glad for the extension. I fully intend to make a background for use in my game. :)

User page at mfgg.net

[cl]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:13 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I made an entry. 100% pixel art. Please give me feedback:

BG: http://i65.tinypic.com/2vvtksg.png

Tiles: http://i65.tinypic.com/1zbc6lw.png

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:58 am 
"I am one valuable card"
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
This is my first entry of the background. Hope you like this.

Background name: Ocean Spring Breeze

BG: http://tinypic.com/r/eamh03/9

Tiles: http://tinypic.com/r/9leqgh/9

*I edited it since Mit made me realize that pixel art is for..err..art with pixelated skills.

Last edited by SonicZetrex on Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NNID: SonicZetrex
User: SonicZetrx

Old Drawing Banners

Spoiler:

Things I support/others

Spoiler:

My favorite theme:

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:44 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
i think the meaning of pixel art might be a bit lost on a few entries here so i think i'll step in.

in a sprite comp like this, it's more important than ever to make sure you have a proper understanding of what pixel art is. while the name "sprite comp" could mean "anything usable in a game", the most common definition for "sprite" is pixel art. that being said, a few of the entries i can tell aren't pixel art.

pixel art, as a medium, is defined by its meticulousness. every pixel counts, and each one should be placed and used with care. drawing in paint with the pencil tool, which i've seen a few people do, isn't pixel art. technically, it's binary art, but regardless, it's not pixel art, which is what i think sprite comps are typically looking for.

it might be a decent idea to rename sprite comps to "pixel art" comps to make it more direct what's being looked for here.

[tr]
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:06 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Mit wrote:
pixel art, as a medium, is defined by its meticulousness. every pixel counts, and each one should be placed and used with care. drawing in paint with the pencil tool, which i've seen a few people do, isn't pixel art. technically, it's binary art, but regardless, it's not pixel art, which is what i think sprite comps are typically looking for.

Yeah, I totally agree and I think that's the case for SonicZetrex and Hexyuu's entries.

[at]
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:32 pm 
Cliax Codec X Splatoon
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
I don't see how a name change would be required. None of the entires here are pixel art, but I wouldn't classify any of them as sprites either.

Cliax Codec is a combination of top-down and third-person shooter. The gameplay will blend platforming, puzzle and shmup elements together to create a unique gameplay experience. You will take control of four playable characters which rise against a team that seemingly wants to take over the world - but are their motives really that cliché, or are there deeper motives behind their actions?

Currently designing Chapter 1-6, 5%

GOTM titles
Spoiler:
Fan Art
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:17 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
bored
Spoiler:

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:17 pm 
Huh? What? Huh?
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
DJ Coco wrote:
I don't see how a name change would be required. None of the entires here are pixel art, but I wouldn't classify any of them as sprites either.

"sprites" are technically any graphical thing used in games. vector art could technically be sprites so long as they're put in a game.

"pixel art" refers to itself, using pixels to create art, whether it be a portrait, assets, etc. it makes it easier to specify which you're looking for (including in the case of benstar's entry, which are sprites, as he stated, but they aren't pixel art, as luigim9 stated)

[ca]
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:30 pm 
следующая игра скоро будет
Dairy
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Yeah, "Pixel Art Comp" would be a much better name for these imo. Conveys exactly what's required, it isn't any more of a mouthful than 'sprite' is (sure, it has more syllables but honestly who cares?), and it's just... it makes more sense. Maybe even just "Pixel Competition"

Of course, all of this has become rather off-topic, but I digress.

User page at mfgg.net

[cl]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:07 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
My entry is pure pixel art...

Look at the bushes and cactus. All pixels were used carefully... And I don't know how could you need much care on bigger things like hills... I mean, the hills are huge compared to the rest of little things used in the bg. It sounds unnecessary to use all pixels so carefully, since it's faster to use the pencil tool and it's more convenient.

User page at mfgg.net

[br]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:41 pm 
Not a bird
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Hexyuu, your entry links are broken for me.

Spoiler:

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:54 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hexyuu Yandere wrote:

Look at the bushes and cactus. All pixels were used carefully... And I don't know how could you need much care on bigger things like hills... I mean, the hills are huge compared to the rest of little things used in the bg. It sounds unnecessary to use all pixels so carefully, since it's faster to use the pencil tool and it's more convenient.

then it's not pixel art, it's a scribble with the pencil tool. so far, i believe mors' entry is the only valid one, unless yours and soniczetrex's entry are being counted

[cl]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:12 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Kinky wrote:
Hexyuu Yandere wrote:

then it's not pixel art, it's a scribble with the pencil tool. so far, i believe mors' entry is the only valid one, unless yours and soniczetrex's entry are being counted

Uhhh, it is the same thing as Mors', plus if that doesn't even count as pixel art, then it would take weeks or even months to make a real 100% pixel art background because it takes too much work to be careful on every single pixel -.-

User page at mfgg.net

[de]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:19 pm 
... Coruption ...
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Okay now working on a new Bg, a Sewer Background :D, will upload it soon

Paper Mario CC Progress:
General Progress, 8%

Games I support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:19 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Hexyuu Yandere wrote:
Kinky wrote:
Hexyuu Yandere wrote:

Uhhh, it is the same thing as Mors', plus if that doesn't even count as pixel art, then it would take weeks or even months to make a real 100% pixel art background because it takes too much work to be careful on every single pixel -.-

Nope, you're wrong. I put every single pixel individually, except for straight lines. And I zoomed 100% times while making it. I'm actually gonna update it a bit soon.
EDIT: BTW, it took me 2 hours to complete it, even though I could complete it faster.

[de]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:39 pm 
... Coruption ...
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Is it possible to use gradiants in combination with pixel art?

Paper Mario CC Progress:
General Progress, 8%

Games I support:
Spoiler:

User page at mfgg.net

[tr]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:45 pm 
Thanks DonnieTheGuy!
Administrator
[A]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Benstar wrote:
Is it possible to use gradiants in combination with pixel art?

I think that would be okay, but gradients don't always look good with pixel art, so be careful :)

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 102 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked